Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I tried really hard :(. Sorry but nothing is good as WOW

bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
Now i think it is impossible to make better theme park mmo. I tried really hard after 8 years of wow to play some other mmo but nothing works for me and i'm back again to my dear Azeroth. SWTOR was good story game but pvp is not so smooth and awesome as in wow, it is just a  poor little brother . After that i tried with LOTRO--Well, it is ok but   quests are made to damage your brain, kill boars and kill again boars...(you kill mobs in wow but you have so many different types) story quests are ok but nothing special. AOC was much better but what bothers me there is landscape after level 20, everything looks so same. Star Trek Online---mediocre game. EQ2--everything is great and fine, so many different classes and so many quests but i can't go over that stupid fast paced chicken running, people are running like rockets around and pvp is real mess because of that. GW2 -i tried for 3 days over weekend and i was really really amazed with GW2 graphic, best on the market for sure but what bothers me there is that you can enter in to pvp with all skills unlocked, where is the joy when you get  served everything from the start? I like to see how i progress because of my gear and my new abilities in combat, i don't feel  rewarded when i level my character :(. But anyway GW2 is great game.  So i subscribed today again to wow and guess what! First time in few months i was glued for chair more than 2 hours. Sorry for my bad English, now i gtg back to level my last class Monk :) Azeroth smells so good ...

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Don't be sorry for liking a game.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Just means that's the kinda game you enjoy.

I prefer other types of games.

Hope you have fun with it. Still plenty of people to socialize and game with there. 

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Everquest will always be the best for me, no other MMO has managed to keep me playing like EQ has, 13 years and still playing!
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    Now i think it is impossible to make better theme park mmo. I tried really hard after 8 years of wow to play some other mmo but nothing works for me and i'm back again to my dear Azeroth. SWTOR was good story game but pvp is not so smooth and awesome as in wow, it is just a  poor little brother . After that i tried with LOTRO--Well, it is ok but   quests are made to damage your brain, kill boars and kill again boars...(you kill mobs in wow but you have so many different types) story quests are ok but nothing special. AOC was much better but what bothers me there is landscape after level 20, everything looks so same. Star Trek Online---mediocre game. EQ2--everything is great and fine, so many different classes and so many quests but i can't go over that stupid fast paced chicken running, people are running like rockets around and pvp is real mess because of that. GW2 -i tried for 3 days over weekend and i was really really amazed with GW2 graphic, best on the market for sure but what bothers me there is that you can enter in to pvp with all skills unlocked, where is the joy when you get  served everything from the start? I like to see how i progress because of my gear and my new abilities in combat, i don't feel  rewarded when i level my character :(. But anyway GW2 is great game.  So i subscribed today again to wow and guess what! First time in few months i was glued for chair more than 2 hours. Sorry for my bad English, now i gtg back to level my last class Monk :) Azeroth smells so good ...

I would have to disagree completely, most anything is better then wow. Wow did change mmos, this much is correct but, at the same time it changed the way they work also. MMOs now are a business investment raither then a game to enjoy. As soon as you make it more about business then a quality product you fall into this bs that people say " well they are in it to make money" when in fact they are in it to make as much money as they can. This is were you fall into evil ways, MMO was designed for a specific type of gamer. Those gamers were more about lore and challenges, lore gave a great back story that also was ever evolving in retime, challenges had risk to lose everything and have to start over as if closer to IRL. Wow took away all chance of risk which open the gates to the causal gamer and the gamer that just wanted to win. If you know you will win no matter what you do then what is the point, there is no risk in wow giving no reason to play wow or any game like it.

• drchocapicdrchocapic Member Posts: 27
    If you like the game, play the game man and don't feel sorry about it. The point is to have fun and if you're having it then don't let anyone convince you that you're doing it wrong. Different people like and enjoy different things or, as Hoban Washburne would put it, "Some people juggle geese".
  • ghostfaeriesghostfaeries Member UncommonPosts: 89

WoW really is a great game whether people think so or not. It's all a personal opinion and I think most haven't experienced as much as those that are still playing to this day so they think less of it and have moved on to something else. whatever floats ones boat.

welcome back, by the way!

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

in the long term i have rejected every one of these game too. i think wow is superior in most aspects and thats the reason i got back to azeroth too one more time.

imo only eve can stand the comparison to wow, maybe its even better.

now  i m waiting for teso and archeage. lets see...

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Originally posted by ghostfaeries

WoW really is a great game whether people think so or not. It's all a personal opinion and I think most haven't experienced as much as those that are still playing to this day so they think less of it and have moved on to something else. whatever floats ones boat.

welcome back, by the way!

"I think most haven't experienced as much as those that are still playing to this day so they think less of it"

I'm sorry but that is not true at all. You'll just have to accept that some people like other game's better. Most people I know that played WoW and left have played the shit out of that game. Hardcore raiding, multiple max level toons, Arenas, etc. People have actually done it all and then found another game that did it better, for them at least. And many of us found games that did things entirely different from WoW and we've discovered that we like those changes much better. It's great that you still enjoy the game, but many people play the entire game and then move on because there is actually a lot of other great games out there now.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Manolios

in the long term i have rejected every one of these game too. i think wow is superior in most aspects and thats the reason i got back to azeroth too one more time.

Iv got max level toons in DCUO, Rift, AoC, SWTOR, TSW (Max QL), GW2, and WoW. If you check my post history, I have been around the block....but honestly no game has been able to keep me playing for more than a year except WoW. I'm personally a raider first and foremost, and in that regard, nothing can touch WoW. I really wanted to leave WoW for SWTOR when it launched, it was the game I had been waiting on for years, but boy, did its endgame disapoint. I think that right there is key to all of this...endgame...The MMOs I have maxed out on may have improved drastically overtime, but in the timeframes I was active in them (as were most who tried them), they couldnt hold a candle to WoW in endgame content. Like it or not, endgame content is what keeps most players within themeparks, not its leveling experiance, not player housing, not crafting, but pure endgame.

GW2 may have better PVP, SWTOR may have better quests, TSW may have better dungons, but none of them have the total endgame package of WoW imo.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Depends what your thing is, if dungeons is your thing probably not.

If crafting or pvp is, definetly better.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

It's the best theme park on the market, even after they began cutting away chuncks substance. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Originally posted by doodphace

Iv got max level toons in DCUO, Rift, AoC, SWTOR, TSW (Max QL), GW2, and WoW. If you check my post history, I have been around the block....but honestly no game has been able to keep me playing for more than a year except WoW. I'm personally a raider first and foremost, and in that regard, nothing can touch WoW. I really wanted to leave WoW for SWTOR when it launched, it was the game I had been waiting on for years, but boy, did its endgame disapoint. I think that right there is key to all of this...endgame...The MMOs I have maxed out on may have improved drastically overtime, but in the timeframes I was active in them (as were most who tried them), they couldnt hold a candle to WoW in endgame content. Like it or not, endgame content is what keeps most players within themeparks, not its leveling experiance, not player housing, not crafting, but pure endgame.

GW2 may have better PVP, SWTOR may have better quests, TSW may have better dungons, but none of them have the total endgame package of WoW imo.

You're going into each new game that comes out with the expectation that at launch, it will have 9 years worth of development and endgame content. I'm sorry sir but you are doing it wrong. New games take time to develop various game systems, they take time to introduce new content and new types of content, to improve upon what they have. WoW did not have a lot of that stuff at launch. Neither do most new games - it takes time for things to be released and you need to go into a new MMO with realistic expectations, enjoying it for what it has now and be willing to stick around for future additions. If you go into every new game expecting it to have as much content and polish as a 9 year old game, you will always be disappointed. Try finding more realistic expectations and you'll enjoy the MMO market a whole heck of a lot more.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by vorpal28
    Everquest will always be the best for me, no other MMO has managed to keep me playing like EQ has, 13 years and still playing!

I dunno, I am really looking forward to EQNEXT. @OP I keep WoW installed at all times just to go back every now and again to check the content and what they are doing with the game. It can certainly be fun, I just wish they didn't go backwards as far as character customization goes. I wish they gave us more options like AAs etc.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Leiloni
    Originally posted by doodphace

You're going into each new game that comes out with the expectation that at launch, it will have 9 years worth of development and endgame content. I'm sorry sir but you are doing it wrong. New games take time to develop various game systems, they take time to introduce new content and new types of content, to improve upon what they have. WoW did not have a lot of that stuff at launch. Neither do most new games - it takes time for things to be released and you need to go into a new MMO with realistic expectations, enjoying it for what it has now and be willing to stick around for future additions. If you go into every new game expecting it to have as much content and polish as a 9 year old game, you will always be disappointed. Try finding more realistic expectations and you'll enjoy the MMO market a whole heck of a lot more.

If by doing it wrong, you mean expecting a new game to have various engaging engame content, I guess im guilty as charged.

When did I say I wanted 9 years worth of content? When I say endgame content, im refering to the current content in WoW, you know, t14-15 LFR, normal, and heroic raids, lvl 90 heroic dungons, lvl 90 challengemode dungons, lvl 90 group scenerios that dont require the trinity,  heroic lvl 90 group scenerios that dont require a trinity, lvl 90 dailies and legendary quests, Pokemon Pet battle system, lvl 90 PVP battlegrounds, 2v2 arenas, 3v3 arenas, 5v5 areneas, ranked ladders. All of the afomentioned things (except some of the the PVP maps) are all new content developed for MoP. I am sorry, I really did not expect you to think I was referring to raid tiers from 6 years ago, I guess i should have clarified /sigh

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    WoW for all its faults (which are legion at this point) remains a good game up to cap.  I have two 90's an 87 and six 85's.  I started in late beta, and keep coming back to the game.  But I have to say that I'm well past the point that I'm starting to burn out.  I've become a gaming nomad. I play various games, for a few months,  and then wander back to WoW.  I suspect that my current 87 (hunter) will be my last 90.  Three times through the MoP content is more than enough.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

A majority here at mmorpg.com are just cast aways from wow that are trying to find something that can catch their eye just like wow did back in the days. sadly they will never get that wonderfull feeling from another mmo and the will contine the endless hype train/fail train dicussion here att mmorpg.com.

wow is a good game. glad to hear you are enjoying it since 2005.  

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by mymmo

A majority here at mmorpg.com are just cast aways from wow that are trying to find something that can catch their eye just like wow did back in the days. sadly they will never get that wonderfull feeling from another mmo and the will contine the endless hype train/fail train dicussion here att mmorpg.com.

Actually, my first MMO was UO.  Then I played Asherons Call for a couple of years.  Over time, I've played almost all of the major MMO's and WAY too many of the Asian imports (and some in Asia).  Its a hobby, so all I look for is an entertaining game.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by Wraithone

Actually, my first MMO was UO.  Then I played Asherons Call for a couple of years.  Over time, I've played almost all of the major MMO's and WAY too many of the Asian imports (and some in Asia).  Its a hobby, so all I look for is an entertaining game.

i wrote the majoirty :) 

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Don't be sorry for liking a game.

Agreed. No need to feel you have to justify or defend your choice of games.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

A majority here at mmorpg.com are just cast aways from wow that are trying to find something that can catch their eye just like wow did back in the days.

Can you link to what you based that on?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BallsoutBallsout Member UncommonPosts: 70
    The best way to play is to get on a private server and play vanilla wow. Nothing better.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

I started wow during TBC with a friend.  We came from FF11.  I loved wow.  Very fun and some great memories.  For me the friends and lore really climaxed at the death of the lich king.  I never felt the draw for wow in cataclysm.

And now after the gw2 combat, I can never go back to stand and spam combat.  

But for as much as I love gw2s combat, it will never take away the great memories that I have of wow.  I'm glad to hear that people are still enjoying it so much!

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

OP, agree with you!

only what bother me is sub, not box sell. I would rather pay a-la-cart or VIP months, to be able to log when I just need to check and can't play.
    but it only my problem...

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308
    Try crack cocaine.

Hi

• MaakuMaaku Member Posts: 90

Hehe, WoW is like the old slippers. You've gotten new ones and you wear them when family comes around but when everyones gone and not looking... You sneak those old smelly bastards out and chillax.

I know what you mean OP. For me its a comfort level I find in WOW that I have a hard time getting in other games. Mainly because of tons and I mean TONS of people/friends that play it. A big family, so yes, its hard to move away from that.

Do I think WoW is still the best mmo out there? No, no I do not. For my personal taste, swtor kicks every other mmoRPG simply because of the RPG part in it. No equals. My story, my choices, love it. And then there's GW2 who's buy the box but play for free. Excellent model and the combat system to me is just a fucking GEM! And swapping weapons!??? OMG, I have an entire bar of brand new skills!!!!  And as far as graphics goes, anything that came out in the last 5 years kicks WoW's ass, even the Panda expension (Although it is very pretty).

So there, WoW is like the longterm relationship but here and there, you go find yourself a dirty slut who knows how to treat you just right. Even if it's just for a moment. Oh, don't make faces, you know what I mean!

Incidently though, WoW is no longer my longterm since a while now. Swtor is. I play the new and newest but I always go back to swtor.