Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Question of the Week Talks PvP

2»

Comments

• BaltoBroBaltoBro Member Posts: 48
    Join the Aldmeri Dominion, the wood elves will pierce your armor and hearts and bring a righteous ruler to Cyrodiil. Hail to the Queen!!
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock
    Originally posted by JKwervo
    If they really think this design will stop the zerg mentality, they've got another thing coming. Design always looks good on paper, execution is another thing. Very skeptical about this game. Because 90% of it reminds me of Gw2. The other 10% is just them trying to differentiate. Only thing alluring is the ability to train up all your skills and abilities and wear any armor you want. Otherwise, yeah. Hope they pull if off.

Until you realize the side that zergs will inevitably always lose because unlike GW2 where the zerg can cover any point on the map within a matter of minutes in ESO the zerg will be losing terretory faster then they take it due to sheer size.  Eventually that zerg mentality will realize the more ground you cover with smaller groups is more beneficial.  Not to mention that unlike GW2 and like DAoC there will be PvE going on out i nthe Cyrodill and if you think theres gonna be huge zergs of people running PvE quests then LOL.

Obvious tactics are obvious IMO.

In PS2 the Zerg doesn't care if the rest of the map falls because there is way more rewards to be gained by rushing one undefended base to anouther rather than holding onto territory.  Hopefully ESO can avoid that kind of narrow minded rewards systems and reward people for taking and holding terriroty rather than just taking it.

Its a while since you played it then

1 the alerts encourage spreading out and grabbing teritory

2 good luck fighting at your zerg spot when you have no resources.

you get all these unguilded players just having a big old zerg up at the crown.  Most of the guilds dont work that way and actively avoid the place.  Well except to do a 8 galaxy drop with ride of the valkeries blaring out at the end of play for the lolz of it.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by colddog04
    If they really think this design will stop the zerg mentality, they've got another thing coming. Design always looks good on paper, execution is another thing. Very skeptical about this game. Because 90% of it reminds me of Gw2. The other 10% is just them trying to differentiate. Only thing alluring is the ability to train up all your skills and abilities and wear any armor you want. Otherwise, yeah. Hope they pull if off.

Until you realize the side that zergs will inevitably always lose because unlike GW2 where the zerg can cover any point on the map within a matter of minutes in ESO the zerg will be losing terretory faster then they take it due to sheer size.  Eventually that zerg mentality will realize the more ground you cover with smaller groups is more beneficial.  Not to mention that unlike GW2 and like DAoC there will be PvE going on out i nthe Cyrodill and if you think theres gonna be huge zergs of people running PvE quests then LOL.

In PS2 the Zerg doesn't care if the rest of the map falls because there is way more rewards to be gained by rushing one undefended base to anouther rather than holding onto territory.  Hopefully ESO can avoid that kind of narrow minded rewards systems and reward people for taking and holding terriroty rather than just taking it.

Right, it doesn't matter if your side is losing as long as your zerg is winning. That's a difficult issue to deal with. Actually, I'd argue that because the distance is further between capture points (according to ZedTheRock), people will be less likely to move away from the zerg because staying with the zerg guarantees consistant gains and veering very far away from it hurts the potential gains.

your just guessing based on

a) gw2 and maybe WAR, whuch are both lacking in the tactics / strategy dpeartment

b)untrue stuff the guy before you is saying about PS2 (which is a fair bit more strategic)

You can have a tacticlaly rich and strategic RVR system where teamwork and organisation beats raw numbers.  Daoc acheived it.  Planetside 1 acheived it.  Planetside 2 is heading in the right direction.  

Downed state rez spammy old GW2 just doesnt belong in the same category.

• JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126

Until I see it for myself, the size that is....there is no reason why my pov doesn't hold true.

Devs always boast about the size of their map. Then they execute and it really isn't the size they hyped it out to be. I'm just saying, just because devs put out their design on paper, doesn't necessarily mean it will execute like what seems to be what the majority are expecting. Like I said, I hope they pull it off. Because as it is, the endgame looks like it wont be enough. Even for an elder scrolls fan like myself. PvP can only hold MY attention so far until its pointless due to many factors. Again, all I'm saying is I will believe it when I see it.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Originally posted by colddog04

Right, it doesn't matter if your side is losing as long as your zerg is winning. That's a difficult issue to deal with. Actually, I'd argue that because the distance is further between capture points (according to ZedTheRock), people will be less likely to move away from the zerg because staying with the zerg guarantees consistant gains and veering very far away from it hurts the potential gains.

your just guessing based on

a) gw2 and maybe WAR, whuch are both lacking in the tactics / strategy dpeartment

b)untrue stuff the guy before you is saying about PS2 (which is a fair bit more strategic)

You can have a tacticlaly rich and strategic RVR system where teamwork and organisation beats raw numbers.  Daoc acheived it.  Planetside 1 acheived it.  Planetside 2 is heading in the right direction.  

Downed state rez spammy old GW2 just doesnt belong in the same category.

I think the MMORPG mentality has changed over the years. I think that perhaps the reason why these other games worked a decade ago is because there was a different audience actually playing them. Today, the mentality has shifted towards preferring to being rewarded for the time you actually put into playing the game.

Defending a base in Planetside 2 is a really good example. Why does it matter that any side has more bases than any other side if I'm going to be able to have better personal growth by following a zerg? If my characters growth can go up much faster by farming spawn points, why would what color the map is matter to me at all? It really doesn't matter. To me, that is the heart of problem with these RvR style games. While entertaining at times, nothing you do in them feels like it matters.

You say that these earlier games were able to accomplish solid tactical/strategic gameplay. Having tactics/strategy beat large numbers (this happens in GW2 and Planetside 2 btw) is irrelavant if once people are defeated, they just move onto the next zerg in order to progress. I don't accept this whole "realm pride" thing in todays popular world of gaming. It's difficult to force people to care about their zoned RvR area more than themselves. 

• Vynxe_VaingloryVynxe_Vainglory Member Posts: 20

Hopefully they make these resources make-or-break, but at the same time, are captured in a way that brute force won't help with.

It would be great if this game turned into strong tactics rather than zergfesting.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Sounds good. Can't wait to try it out.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by meddyck
    I like the idea of taking farms, mills, and mines to weaken keeps. It sounds like it won't be required but it will make it a bit easier if you do it especially if aren't bringing a huge zerg to take the keep. That sounds perfect. I look forward to them revealing more information about the AvA skill line. That's something that will probably be pivotal to deciding how much I like AvA.

I do as well.

However, it's a shame that siege engines  are "bought" with points. It would have been so much nicer to have dedicated crafters create them. Maybe even get different quality levels depending on the crafter who made it.

It's beta, that "could" change.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• NightfyreNightfyre Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Ah so it's not open world PvP, just designated areas with RvR style PvP... ho hum, if I can attack anyone, anywhere in the actual game... why  not here?
  • Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by KingofHartz
    This game doesnt look bad from the ideas shown, I think calling it Elder Scrolls was a mistake though. This is not Elder Scrolls, the game looks lije its going to be fun, but you could have called it anything else except what something already is. You could have called it World of Camelot Craft and no ine would be judging it like its Skyrim except mmo. It looks fun but its not Elder scrolls, I think that name is going to hurt more than help.

How is it not an Elder Scrolls MMO? It has TES lore, TES story, TES art and lands, TES combat as close as they could it being a MMO, TES freedom in classes. Heck you can make a Mage Tank. Or a Assassin healer. As a long time TES fan, you are way off the mark!

How dare you speak your opinion King?! What were you thinking? Didn't you know that speaking your opinion summons the green text monster? You wouldn't like the green text monster when he is angry...

• Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by Vynxe_Vainglory

Hopefully they make these resources make-or-break, but at the same time, are captured in a way that brute force won't help with.

It would be great if this game turned into strong tactics rather than zergfesting.

Agreed, some actual tactics would be awesome.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    Originally posted by Pixel_Jockey
    This game doesnt look bad from the ideas shown, I think calling it Elder Scrolls was a mistake though. This is not Elder Scrolls, the game looks lije its going to be fun, but you could have called it anything else except what something already is. You could have called it World of Camelot Craft and no ine would be judging it like its Skyrim except mmo. It looks fun but its not Elder scrolls, I think that name is going to hurt more than help.

How is it not an Elder Scrolls MMO? It has TES lore, TES story, TES art and lands, TES combat as close as they could it being a MMO, TES freedom in classes. Heck you can make a Mage Tank. Or a Assassin healer. As a long time TES fan, you are way off the mark!

How dare you speak your opinion King?! What were you thinking? Didn't you know that speaking your opinion summons the green text monster? You wouldn't like the green text monster when he is angry...

Sure he can speak his opinion but dont back up why on a forum... ya you gona get challenged or questioned. My post was far from angry.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Pixel_Jockey

And this irrational personal attack is contributing to the discussion how?

Fact is that just about everyone who has played it in beta or PAX or whatever goes out of their way to mention how much it looks and feels like an ES game.

Saying it isn't and coming up with a silly name alluding to DAoC, WAR and WOW is just the usual ignorant troll shorthand way of dismissing it. Challenging ignorant troll posts is actually a good thing... see what I did there?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED