Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Payment Model Do You Prefer In Your MMORPG?

Title says it all.

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Sub no cash shops..

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

1) Sub

2) F2p with $9 sub option.

99) B2P - Charging 6 months up front to get in the door is a scam.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • p0nk1np0nk1n Member Posts: 2
    sub no cash shops. everyone pays the same and no one gains an unfair advantage with money.

-p0nk1n-

• TokenaruTokenaru Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by p0nk1n
    sub no cash shops. everyone pays the same and no one gains an unfair advantage with money.

I couldnt agree more I hate being nickel and dimed and feeling like im not getting the same level of enjoyment as other players due to the contents of my wallet.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Sub/B2P no cash shop.

That way I know exactly how much money I'll need to be on level playing field with everyone else.

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    B2P and F2P is wat i like.
  • pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

Your list excluded the traditional payment method... merely B2P.

I prefer to buy the game and play it.  No subs.  No cash shops.  If you like the game, you buy the expansions as they are released.  If you don't, you don't buy the expansions.  Simple model... worked perfectly for years... wish they'd return to it.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

So I've been playing Age of Wushu lately, having fun. It's f2p with cash shop which I normally hate, but so far it's ok because it's not in my face and I've been playing fine without spending money.

However another reason to dislike cash shops came to me when I joined a guild. In a game I play for free, I'm put in a postions where I may have to trust strangers with assets that are potentially worth real money. And you know what? That is not fun. Takes a lot of the fun (the reason I play) out of the game. The guild wants contributions of materials. And as I was gathering some and handing them in I realized that in giving away what is worth potentially real money, it took the play out of the realm of play. 

It really changes the way I look at the game, and that is a shame.

Not a surprise, but I voted sub w/no cash shop. When I'm in game, I just want to play.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I jsut dont get the love  here for the p2p model...I spent over 1k on EQ from 2000-05 and have nothing to show for it......I would take any f2p over any p2p any day because you save so much more money.....And what p2p is so great that you guys are so enamored with this model?. WoW? Eve? Theres a reason why this model is dying and that's because its a total ripoff.
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by bcbully

1) Sub

2) F2p with $9 sub option.

99) B2P - Charging 6 months up front to get in the door is a scam.

You do realize you pay box fees for most sub games as well, right?

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 176

B2P all day long.  F2P in its absence.

Subscription is a dieing revenue model and its been shown time and time again over the last 5 or 6 years that it is a barrier to entry, retards growth, and makes far less money for the game then any of the other models.

SUP

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248
    Buy and Play with cash shop which sells only vanity items and some small boots. But not for insane prices, well, except the boosts, couldn't care less about them. Cosmetics however would be good to have plenty and cheap, unlike GW2...

We?re all dead, just say it.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Don't care.

Too many people are worried about pay2win nonsense. Who cares? If they want to subsidize you playing for free why does it bust your chops? You mad because rich people have advantages over you? Welcome to capitalism, kid.

Don't want to pay the company for their work? think they should release a game for free because that's how all the others are doing it? Think that Buy2Play is too much money? Welcome to capitalism, kid.

Hate Pay2Play schemes that nickle and dime you for things other games give you for free? Then don't play! You aren't entitled to play this game just because your buddies are! live with the restrictions or pony up the dough. Welcome to capitalism, kid.

It's all the same folks, it's YOU and your CRYING that is the only difference between the business models.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    I jsut dont get the love  here for the p2p model...I spent over 1k on EQ from 2000-05 and have nothing to show for it......I would take any f2p over any p2p any day because you save so much more money.....And what p2p is so great that you guys are so enamored with this model?. WoW? Eve? Theres a reason why this model is dying and that's because its a total ripoff.

Its easy to understand why mmorpg.com forum posters love the P2P model when you take into consideration the love it has sandbox MMO and any nostalgic MMO.

Do not fret, the future of MMO's are B2P or F2P as is solid themepark design and other new wave styles.  Mmorpg.com forum'ites are like those old stogey cigar smoking conservatives who shun anything new and progressive. 

SUP

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    How come I feel like all these Cash Shop threads are little more than a CU advertisement?
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801

Sub, no cash shop.

As far as the subscription goes, I want the game to continue to improve as well as have quality maintenance. I also want the GMs to be involved in the plots and stories that I'd like to see running without being fixed.

Cash shops, well, no matter what is sold, it takes away from possible game play experience. I don't want that any more than I want players "buying win" for anything, even seemingly unimportant items.

Once upon a time....

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Sub. F2P is ruining all MMO industry. Soon we are not going to have any AAA games....

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by Velocinox

Don't care.

Too many people are worried about pay2win nonsense. Who cares? If they want to subsidize you playing for free why does it bust your chops? You mad because rich people have advantages over you? Welcome to capitalism, kid.

Don't want to pay the company for their work? think they should release a game for free because that's how all the others are doing it? Think that Buy2Play is too much money? Welcome to capitalism, kid.

Hate Pay2Play schemes that nickle and dime you for things other games give you for free? Then don't play! You aren't entitled to play this game just because your buddies are! live with the restrictions or pony up the dough. Welcome to capitalism, kid.

It's all the same folks, it's YOU and your CRYING that is the only difference between the business models.

[mod edit]

What I prefer changes based on what amount of time I want to spend or the type of the game it is. PS2- love playing it as F2P. I didn't really like the idea of paying a sub for Planetside1. Well, that's MMOFPS, not MMORPG.

If I have the time and want to get heavily involved in a deep MMORPG I'd be very happy for it to be P2P with no dev time wasted on cash shop crap. But of course there isn't a deep MMORPG like that (that I haven't played already).

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    B2P

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• JamesPJamesP Member UncommonPosts: 595

Unlike Single Player Games MMOs are a service. Single Player games you buy the game and can play it as much as you like. All storage of your data is managed by your own computer. 

MMOs on the other hand can't have the data saved on the client because of the potential for a player to hack their Game Data. Massive amounts of simulation needs to be handled on Remote servers managed by the Game Development Company to prevent cheating. There for it becomes a service and a very expensive service at that. The money to maintain that service must be gotten from somewhere (You the players)... With out a constant stream of income the service wouldn't support it's self and would be shut down pretty quickly because of Lack of funds.

Personally F2P with a cash shop or Subscription based games are cool with me because I KNOW it takes a ton of money to maintain the service I love to play.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Sub no cash shop with 2 caveats.

First. I want value for money. By that I mean well fleshed out classes/skill systems, a decently developed world, enough content or tools to drive the gameplay if it's a sandbox.

Second. No locked content. If I'm paying the same subs as everyone else I want access to everything, no exceptions.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Sub. F2P is ruining all MMO industry. Soon we are not going to have any AAA games....

I'm starting to agree with this.

I've "tried" many F2P games and haven't played ANY of them for more than a week. Conversely, I've also tried several sub games and I've usually played a minimum of 3 months (exception FFXIV) and some a couple for years.

So, from my personal sample...Sub all the way.

• FoeHammerJTFoeHammerJT Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by Velocinox

Don't care.

If you drop the constant 'Kid" out of your comments, this is well articulated.

I'd like to add:

You'd think these "sub" charges being asked for are mortgages the way people rail against them (ever heard of a 1 bedroom sub for $600 a month?). 15 bucks is less than a movie and a popcorn/drink and that only buys 2 hours of entertainment at best. 

Further, the idea that companies are making more and consumers are paying less is non-sensical and I will never understand the logic.

Of course 90% of F2P games offer an advatage for paying or pay only content, and typically that advantage costs alot more than a sub would. This has lead to a meandering populace of freemium gaming where people go digest some free content and then move to the next copy-cat crap title a pusblisher is pushing to the players willing to spend a hundred bucks a month so he can feel more powerful than the next guy in the newest title. And have a cute pet toO!

At the end of the day, F2P will only hurt the gamers who wind up paying more for less. What used to be a straight up deal: 50 bucks for a box and 15 a month for all content unrestricted has become a huge tangle in these cash shops and 'bonus' peddling titles.

New MMOs are being designed by marketting strategists with economic models designed to part people from their cash based on signifcant amounts of research. Now do you have a clue as to why they are bad? They arent being designed by people interested in fun game play, challenging envirnoments or innovative mechanics. The modern MMO is designed from the ground up by an MBA in a suit caluclating how to part fools from their money.

If a game is good be willing to pay for it and understand that the most fair deal is usually the one you can understand without reading fine print or scrolling thru pages of crap in a cash shop. Demand access to all content fairly and be willing to pay for it.

The poster above is right, a company will find ways to make money, we just need to steer them in a direction that is most fair and balanced for us.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    Sub with no cash shop, but I also think sub games shouldn't have paid expansions and instead our sub costs should be paying for that content.