Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Join a clan you say? How about no?

I've been hearing this for the past month. 

some random: you idiot, you can't solo DFUW, go join a clan!

me: but I don't want to...

some random: then go play Skyrim noob. 

Yeah....here's the thing. That's flawed logic. In DFO it was WAY easier and possible to solo the game, which just made it more deep. The people who joined clans did that and the solo players lived in chaos cities and liked small scale pvp and had 1v1 and 1v2s.

Now with all the crap that AV changed I can barely solo in this game because combat is too slow to outplay someone 1v2 or 1v3, etc. 

Since when can't you enjoy small scale solo play in an MMO? Maybe I want to come home from work and relax and not talk to anyone after my voicebox hurts like ass from all the customer interaction at my job. Maybe I don't want to join mumble or help some unknown clan build a city. 

How do clanned people talk so much anyway? They talk all day to people at work, then come home and want to interact more with some teens? Are you serious? Does this game appeal to loudmouthed brats and sociopaths exclusively? 

I wish there was some sort of clan you could join that was silent and expected nothing from you, because this clan shit feels like a second job and I'm surprised at how social some players are. 

Comments

• luvbooxluvboox Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by DarkfallFanatic

I've been hearing this for the past month. 

some random: you idiot, you can't solo DFUW, go join a clan!

me: but I don't want to...

some random: then go play Skyrim noob. 

Yeah....here's the thing. That's flawed logic. In DFO it was WAY easier and possible to solo the game, which just made it more deep. The people who joined clans did that and the solo players lived in chaos cities and liked small scale pvp and had 1v1 and 1v2s.

Now with all the crap that AV changed I can barely solo in this game because combat is too slow to outplay someone 1v2 or 1v3, etc. 

Since when can't you enjoy small scale solo play in an MMO? Maybe I want to come home from work and relax and not talk to anyone after my voicebox hurts like ass from all the customer interaction at my job. Maybe I don't want to join mumble or help some unknown clan build a city. 

How do clanned people talk so much anyway? They talk all day to people at work, then come home and want to interact more with some teens? Are you serious? Does this game appeal to loudmouthed brats and sociopaths exclusively? 

I wish there was some sort of clan you could join that was silent and expected nothing from you, because this clan shit feels like a second job and I'm surprised at how social some players are. 

I'm going to begin by assuming that you are smart enough to not listen to people on this forum who are patently immature. Most of my adventuring in DFUW so far has been soloing, and it's been fine. I am a member of a low-key clan, but it's just made up of a few freinds who want to share a clan bank so we can get mats and craft for each other more easily. I have either won against or chased off most people who come after me in game, but I haven't been attacked by groups of three or more yet (I try to spot them ahead of time and stay hidden). 

Solo play? Yeah, it's fine. It's slower, but it works. 

• PremPrem Member Posts: 20

You can still win outnumbered, 1v2, 1v3 w/e.

I have done it several times, a friend I know has also done it several times. And that is close to launch where everyone is more equal to each other.

Even though I believe it is more fun to play DF with friends, I believe there are some "less social" clans the way you like them in DF

• Agrias34Agrias34 Member UncommonPosts: 147

Judging from your tone and characteristics, I'd say you are one of those little tweens.  Nobody is forcing you to join a clan, but you're missing out on 75% of the game which is PvP and Sieging and capturing cities/villas etc. which can only be done via clan activity.  If you want to play the game solo PvE, then do it, but I don't expect you to dish out on the game or other players because they aren't catering to your solo needs.

P.S.   People are able to talk so much because maybe they have friends.  You should try to make some sometime, might make you feel better than this sourpuss attitude you got going for you.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

You can solo this game. you will get gang raped, but so does everyone. even if you are in a group they bring a larger group. thats just the nature of ffa pvp when death matters.

but as solo eventually you may run out of things to do, the endgame of darkfall is server wide conflict that you cant get the most of solo.

you can even go to sieges solo and just run from crowds and loot graves or pick off stragglers, alot of people do this (cockroaching). but its not the same experience as fighting for a cause in battles of 100+ people.

My blog: image

• DarkfallFanaticDarkfallFanatic Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by Agrias34

Judging from your tone and characteristics, I'd say you are one of those little tweens.  Nobody is forcing you to join a clan, but you're missing out on 75% of the game which is PvP and Sieging and capturing cities/villas etc. which can only be done via clan activity.  If you want to play the game solo PvE, then do it, but I don't expect you to dish out on the game or other players because they aren't catering to your solo needs.

P.S.   People are able to talk so much because maybe they have friends.  You should try to make some sometime, might make you feel better than this sourpuss attitude you got going for you.

Yeah since tweens hold down full time jobs and DO NOT want to troll people...lol. 

I understand real life friends. Go to work, get together with real life friends later, then on top of that you need VIRTUAL friends to come home to as well? Get the hell out of town and take a shuttle. 

• SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310
    Originally posted by DarkfallFanatic
    Originally posted by Agrias34

Yeah since tweens hold down full time jobs and DO NOT want to troll people...lol. 

I understand real life friends. Go to work, get together with real life friends later, then on top of that you need VIRTUAL friends to come home to as well? Get the hell out of town and take a shuttle. 

I've met people online dating back 6-7 years ago that I kept in touch with, played multiple games with, conversated through college graduation, through marriage and birth of their first child... then you meet them IRL and you are still friends. If you have the ability to be social IRL, you have the ability to be social virtually. Stop riding your invisible high horse on the subject. Furthermore some people who aren't social IRL can be virtually and it's important to be, I even find ventrilo or like servers as important as it familiarizes people with social interaction even if it's over video game bs.

P.S. who would choose to play online games to play by themselves? I know many games it would be really fun to do but this definately seems like a game where your enjoyment can be advanced by participating in group activities.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

So don't join a clan?  No one forces you, and I'm sure if you are evasive enough and stick to the wilds you can avoid conflict.  As for winning 1 x 3 or whatever ever, can't say that makes much sense, despite what the TV shows, more often than not, 1X3 ends up badly for the solo player in real life.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

You supposed to play the game like on rails. You dont have the freedom of many viable options  if you want to be suceesfull.

There is just one playstyle, donm't let others fool you by telling you  DF:UW is game offers you freedom and sandbox experience.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409

I also prefer to solo in games, doesn't make me anti social. I just don't want to be bothered with the kids that usually play.

That said, in the old Darkfall I did join a clan Dominion. (Consisted of mostly adults)  I joined with the understanding that I don't use VOIP programs. Which seems to be a requirement for most guilds these days.

I must say I really enjoyed my time in Dominion even when we lost or City. I played a Harvester/Crafter due to the fact that I am an old man and I suck at pvp games, but I  do enjoy full loot PVP games  tremendously. I contributed to my guild by crafting and trying to assist in defending our city during raids.

I even went on a few raids and fought on ships. My contribution was minimal, but I had so much fun.

Hopefully I can find another guild like that when I start playing next month. (Getting a new rig:)

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Ok, here is the thing. 2 thirds of the human population is Extroverts. 1 third of the human population is Introverts. 1 third of humans do not gain energy by interacting with people, it takes energy. 1 third of humans get tired by interacting with people and gain energy by spending time alone, or close to alone. Introverts understand extrovert people since they are the norm, everything is built and created to cater to extrovert people with social hubs entering... well, EVERYTHING... so they do not have to spend 5 seconds of thier life feeling alone. Introverts know this, try to live with this and adapt to it

Extroverts on the other hand, think introverts are crazy people. If you are introvert, you belong in an insane asylum and hsould not be allowed to walk ont he streets. it is considered a flaw, a disease, a broken human being.. 1/3 of the human population.

You know when people talk about norms and how minority groups are ignored or mistreated by the majority? Those minority groups are normally about 2-10 percent of the population and the outrage is loud and furious. At the same time, those same people watch 1/3 of the human population being ignored and mistreated daily, and not a word is spoken in protest. If you go for a job interview and tell the manager you are an introvert. You will not get the job. Ever.

One of the funny little things about humans.. if you are a gay asian zen cricket player with a speech impediment, you will get all sorts of understanding and kindness, and people will go out of their way to help you have a good life. If you are part of 1/3 of all humans, you will have to hide for the rest of your life, because you are considered sick in the head.

So there.... that is why you do not want to be in a guild and spend all your time talking... and that is why people that love guilds think you are a flipping retard. They will never understand anything but other extroverts and always treat 33% of the human population as lesser, sick individuals.

And no, i am not making this up.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
    You miss so much content as a solo player.  It's like playing WoW but never leaving the newbie area because you don't want to.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• DarkfallFanaticDarkfallFanatic Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by Harafnir

Ok, here is the thing. 2 thirds of the human population is Extroverts. 1 third of the human population is Introverts. 1 third of humans do not gain energy by interacting with people, it takes energy. 1 third of humans get tired by interacting with people and gain energy by spending time alone, or close to alone. Introverts understand extrovert people since they are the norm, everything is built and created to cater to extrovert people with social hubs entering... well, EVERYTHING... so they do not have to spend 5 seconds of thier life feeling alone. Introverts know this, try to live with this and adapt to it

Extroverts on the other hand, think introverts are crazy people. If you are introvert, you belong in an insane asylum and hsould not be allowed to walk ont he streets. it is considered a flaw, a disease, a broken human being.. 1/3 of the human population.

You know when people talk about norms and how minority groups are ignored or mistreated by the majority? Those minority groups are normally about 2-10 percent of the population and the outrage is loud and furious. At the same time, those same people watch 1/3 of the human population being ignored and mistreated daily, and not a word is spoken in protest. If you go for a job interview and tell the manager you are an introvert. You will not get the job. Ever.

One of the funny little things about humans.. if you are a gay asian zen cricket player with a speech impediment, you will get all sorts of understanding and kindness, and people will go out of their way to help you have a good life. If you are part of 1/3 of all humans, you will have to hide for the rest of your life, because you are considered sick in the head.

So there.... that is why you do not want to be in a guild and spend all your time talking... and that is why people that love guilds think you are a flipping retard. They will never understand anything but other extroverts and always treat 33% of the human population as lesser, sick individuals.

And no, i am not making this up.

I know you're not making it up. You've hit the nail on the head we live in an extroverted world which takes effort from introverts like me (and maybe yourself) which drains us quickly. We're lost in our thoughts and imaginations and perceive too much that sometimes its a bit overwhelming. 

However, that will change soon enough. Japan's population is mostly introverts, and as we progress through technology and the virtual world that scale will tip towards our favor. I'm saying 100 years until it happens.

I liked my introverted journey as a solo player in DFO because there were chaos cities, and each city had a story or notorious local beast at pvp with crazy stats.

There was also the ability to team up with your race to take down others, so it's like you actively participated in clan wars with your own kind, and could actually probably team up with some humans to hunt down some alfars - NO CLAN REQUIRED to participate in these small scale wars. 

Now that is gone from DFUW and everyone attacks everyone and its so streamlined I kinda hate it, although the full loot is good. 

Originally posted by -Zeno-
    You miss so much content as a solo player.  It's like playing WoW but never leaving the newbie area because you don't want to.

See above. Used to be you could be a clanless small scale warfare type. Now it's FFA deathmatch with no alignment, and no penalties. 

• UzikUzik Member UncommonPosts: 281

It is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to solo in DFUW.  Why?  It is much easier to escape since there is no more bunny hopping.

Also, the nerf to transfers has made it easy to win a 1v2 if you manage your stats carefully and your attackers don't.

(Uzik ibnYaraq in game. Always willing to help.)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UzikAlJhamin

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    The original DF was hard as hell to solo in, the game pretty much screamed at you until you joined a guild. At least in my experiences, and I enjoyed that. I soloed until I was at decent skill levels in the original and still had issues pvping (I probably sucked) but once I joined a guild I basically had items thrown at me every 2 seconds and was able to get in groups for all sorts of pvp and actually do okay. I just feel like this game works a lot better in groups, and solo players are going to have a very difficult time.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I honestly haven't played this game so I can't tell anything about it.

But can't you join a rather casual, mature clan / guild and just tell them about your position? AKA: "I'm a rather casual player and I like to just go about my own way, only joining in with guild activities when I really have the time."

I'm sure a good mature guild would understand that. Though, as with all relationships, you can't just expect others to give endlessly if you don't give back yoursel.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!