Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want to hug these guys who made TSW

this game is so beautiful and well thought out, so much love went into it. I feel it everywhere in the game.

this and darkfall, I don't need anything else atm.

I love you all. Yes I am emotional, I hope you don't mind.

please do what you do FC, I may be a fanboy, but your MMO is a world to get lost in and I love it.

bugmeno signing off for today, good night

Comments

• ScubaSteve34ScubaSteve34 Member Posts: 18
    Can i ask what you enjoy so much? Im debating on getting this MMO or not, since its on sale. Im just trying to find out from a few people with active subs, what they enjoy and what they hate about the game.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I read the OP's post and thought  it seemed a little "out there" and then I seen his sig at it seemed to make sense.

I love you man!

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234
    Originally posted by ScubaSteve34
    Can i ask what you enjoy so much? Im debating on getting this MMO or not, since its on sale. Im just trying to find out from a few people with active subs, what they enjoy and what they hate about the game.

I have always been a bit of a reader, conspiracist, thinker and this game satisfies all these things in me. It has lore that twists around real world lore and mythology but brings its own interpretation forth respectfully and with great depth. Not many people know Vikings may have discovered the new world long before Columbus yet by the third instance in the game there you are fighting corrupted natives with Viking Longships on the shore rather accurately portrayed.

I dont mind the animations and quite adore the detail and immersion of the graphics. I love that how you look has nothing to do with how you are equipped and the freedom of the skill system to make varied and interesting builds. Also I like how the game challenges you to change those builds and adapt to different creatures as you go.

I think the pvp could use more work, still. I dont like the time to kill in pvp as it doesnt really allow much of a fight for my tastes. I also wish they would be more proliferant when it comes to adding clothing options but they have been through studio problems lately and this has impacted their release of such content. A much desired dress and skirt update is still "coming" and apparently slated for next patch as well as a achievement costume reward system that is still being worked on. I just hoped these were sooner rather than later as having a contemporary or modern look is a big drawcard for the game.

If its on sale then I definitely say give it a try.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    I wouldn't say it's the best or absolutely beautiful, but I have to appreciate an MMORPG with quests that actually make me use my head for a change unlike the rest of the genre.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

When it comes to TSW, "it's all in the details". I think it probably would appeal to some historians, explorers, mythologians, esotericists, those who want something different in a themepark, those who'd like quests that make you think and dig, and those who enjoy immersion enough to blur the line at the edge of tne monitor.

For all the hullabaloo about character graphics, the environmental art is stunning. I've often stopped at a favorite place on the shore to watch a sunrise because the light is "just so".

I have the lifetime sub and no regrets.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I tried it,but i blame the dev for not compelling me to go on.

I watched vids and a lot does look good,but the start of the game was awful.There was so little effort gone into the first several scenes,that  i was turned off.

The main reason was the biggest mistake a game can do.I am there to play the game,i am not there to follow some guided tour and that is what this game did out of the gate.

Sparkly paths to guide you exaxctly where to go.The rare key objects you need to find were colored for you to easily find them,i mean seriously,why play it at all if the game is going to play it for you?

I am seriously happy the OP found some pleasure in this game,i am also sure it gets a LOT better if i went any further.Like i said,i blame the developer for creating such a lack lustre effort to start the game.

Example you enter say EQ2 just for sake of it.They built this huge Freeport city,tons of NPC's open ended gameplay [as should be] ,yes markers but no sparkly paths telling you where to go.The effort that goes into the starting area alone would take the team months to work on.The first several scenes in TSW would take a few days.

I basically felt like i was playing a real cheap GTA knockoff.No matter,the game is not there for me,i am happy some people find enjoyment in it,i really am.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    TSW would have been my perfect game if not for the combat. It makes me sad, but I could not spend another second circle-strafing. I had such hope for this game, was so hyped, but for me it failed miserably at combat.

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

They added that Targetting mode and it helped.

Honestly, they could continue from there and add true action combat, it'd be perfect.

To note: I am not against tab targetting. I like it - in alot of games.

However, this game would be better without it.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Only played for the first month but really enjoyed the experience. Brought me back to the vibe of resident evil in it's hayday where like others have said you really have to think and use your intellect. Loved the atmosphere of zones especially seeing the black pyramid for the first time! Great game even if you beat it and leave it...
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by bugmeno

this game is so beautiful and well thought out, so much love went into it. I feel it everywhere in the game.

this and darkfall, I don't need anything else atm.

I love you all. Yes I am emotional, I hope you don't mind.

please do what you do FC, I may be a fanboy, but your MMO is a world to get lost in and I love it.

bugmeno signing off for today, good night

That's great! Glad you can delve into a mmo with such good spirits. I too enjoyed TSW for a while. But when I hit a certain point in the journey, I stopped and haven't looked back ever since. I wonder if you will make the same discovery that I did? I'll check back with you in a few months to see.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• stromp45stromp45 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    What i find the best about TSW is trying to build the best deck. ive spent so meny points to get that one skill i need to get what i want and then find out it really doesnt work hehe . from finding that excat deck your happy with to trying to find the clue to solve the quest with out looking up a walk through makes TSW a fun game for me .
  • stromp45stromp45 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    What i find the best about TSW is trying to build the best deck. ive spent so meny points to get that one skill i need to get what i want and then find out it really doesnt work hehe . from finding that excat deck your happy with to trying to find the clue to solve the quest with out looking up a walk through makes TSW a fun game for me .
  • mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I read the OP's post and thought  it seemed a little "out there" and then I seen his sig at it seemed to make sense.

I love you man!

ehehe. :) Love you all. Hope to see you in tsw

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • bobm111bobm111 Member Posts: 153

yep. was a very fun game to do until ql10 and main storyline.

but after that standing in argatha to raid elite and forward was just to much elitism and demand to have certain gear and dps etc that i just left it at that.

But enjoed the trip there!

bobm111

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by bobm111

but after that standing in argatha to raid elite and forward was just to much elitism and demand to have certain gear and dps etc that i just left it at that.

bobm111

That's the problem with this game... zero horizontal play.  Once you get up into the story and start raiding, you are basically done.  It just becomes a treadmill of dungeons for gear.  

So much potential wasted, IMO.  This game should be an RPG dream game, but instead it's just a themepark that you burn through quickly.  There are a million good ideas to make this game more of a hybrid themepark / sandbox, but so far all we got is the theater no one uses.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by bobm111

bobm111

You might want to check out these threads:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=62768
    http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=63415

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385

Well, I studied western esotericism (along with systematic theology, hemeneutics etc) at university, and lemme tell you, this game is actually so rich in esoteric lore (well, for a game :D ), its astounding!

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

If you want an MMO, don't get this.

It's a singleplayer game, through and through.

Originally posted by DavisFlight

I guess all those dungeons, the lairs, the raids, the chat, the PvP, the grouping were all a figment of my imagination...  ;)  Scuba, here's a good article the sums up pretty well why folks like the game:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/13/why-i-play-the-secret-world/

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    $&@#%*!!!
    I watched this game develop with great interest and then let my enthusiasm die because of all the negativity. Now I'm getting hooked again! Sigh... My Gals gonna kill me if I install TSW, mostly because she'll want to play too, and atm she thinks we spread ourselves too thin over the MMO's we already play... Doh! I just can't help it! *hits Download
    Originally posted by Ortwig

I guess all those dungeons, the lairs, the raids, the chat, the PvP, the grouping were all a figment of my imagination...  ;)  Scuba, here's a good article the sums up pretty well why folks like the game:

How many people can you have per dungeon? (hint, not many, certainly not a massive amount)

Is a chat room now an MMO? Does this make Bioshock an MMO because I can open up a chat room on Steam with other Bioshock players?

And the grouping, you know, the same grouping mechanics that games like Diablo and Titan's Quest have, which are NOT MMOs?

The entire design of this game is an instanced, phased, linear, singleplayer quest game, with some optional multiplayer tacked on.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I totally disagree, the starting area was so simple and bland it bored me to death.I tired to go on but the next few areas where the exact same thing.There is no adventuring,no open end game  play in the start,you are playing a single player game and not a very good one at that.

They could have created a large headquarters to start in,you meet your boss and get your orders/mission.Instead they magically start you out as some underground spy or something and no clue how you got there.No need for looking around,there is only basically one or two very small paths,so goto your npc,click it and move to the next zone.

IMO it should start off like a GTFA game,a large open ended city,not these scripted puny maps.

The only effort they put into the starting area was to make the game super easy to play,actually i don't call it playing if they hand hold you directly to the objective.

Almost every big title i can think of ,starts you in a an area that shows a lot of effort went into it,aside from Wow.

The hand holding design was a complete turn off for me,add to that the boring maps and linear design,i could not fathom more than an hour of game play.I didn't even think twice,i deleted it soon i got out.

I am sure the game gets better if i went a lot further,but it is not the job of a developer to bore me first,they need to grab the audience.It's like watching a movie,if it starts out real boring and slow,i am turning it off.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

How many people can you have per dungeon? (hint, not many, certainly not a massive amount)

Is a chat room now an MMO? Does this make Bioshock an MMO because I can open up a chat room on Steam with other Bioshock players?

And the grouping, you know, the same grouping mechanics that games like Diablo and Titan's Quest have, which are NOT MMOs?

The entire design of this game is an instanced, phased, linear, singleplayer quest game, with some optional multiplayer tacked on.

Hmmm, so only games with 40-man raids are MMOs, eh?  I think there's a thread somewhere else on these forums for that....  Ah.  Here you go; if you hurry, you can be post number 1,856:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/263753/The-Group-Play-vs-Solo-Play-in-an-MMO-Thread.html

Hmmm, so only games with 40-man raids are MMOs, eh?  I think there's a thread somewhere else on these forums for that....  Ah.  Here you go; if you hurry, you can be post number 1,856:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/263753/The-Group-Play-vs-Solo-Play-in-an-MMO-Thread.html

Only games that actually focus on the massively multiplayer part of MMORPG are MMORPGs.

And no, 40 man raids are incredibly small.