Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO Company glassdoor approval ratings and employee reviews

just posting some stuff for our consumption and reflection. i will post approval ratings for each company and CEO as well as a short summary of employee reviews based on the most common complaints or praises. my criteria will be the most recent reviews, if possible posted AFTER the release of each comapny's latest game.

1. Funcom: 53% of employees recommend the job, 44% approve of the CEO

- pros: great atmosphere, not much stress on the job

- cons: no job security, poor management

2.  Blizzard: 69% of employees recommend the job, 88% approve of the CEO

- pros: great location, fun job, nice people, great pay and benefits

- cons: sometimes can be hard work, association gets ahead over merit, lost some of the old blizzard spirit

3. ArenaNet: 83% of employees recommend the job, 100% approval for CEO

- pros: learn on the job as you go, fosters development of skills, great workplace, very good life/work balance, very passionate

- cons: low pay, limited promotion avenues for in house QA looking to move up, worry about image perhaps too much

4. TRION Worlds: 62% recommend the job to others, no CEO evaluation avaiable

- pros: nice location, lot of vets to learn from, overall casual atmosphere, good benefits and facilites, adequate room for advancement

-cons: some incompetent people kept on when they shouldn't be, management freaks out in the face of adversity, backstabbing, cliques, company strayed from the founding passion and principles, lack innovation

5. CCP: 53% recommend the job, no CEO evaluation available

- pros: fun and ambitious projects, most coworkers are awesome, passionate work force

- cons: cronysm rampant, dead weight goes ignored instead of dealt with, long term planning poor, not enough trust given to american workers

6. Jagex: 33% recommend the job to others, no CEO evaluation available

- pros: creative team, fun work, good pay

- cons: poor management, poor communication, bad scheduling, long term planning not good

7. Gameforge(Frogster): 38% would recommend the job to others, 40% approve of the CEO

- pros: free refreshments, good life/work balance, some sympathic management

- cons: management sometimes incompetent, lies are rampant, some immature, upper management lacks understanding of the minds of gamers, many employees not competent

well there's a few more i can do, but i'll stop here for now. what are you guys thoughts on this?

Comments

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
  • duggyfr3sh123duggyfr3sh123 Member Posts: 95

NCsoft: 16% of employees recommend the job to others, 17% approve of the CEO

- pros: great devs, tons of talent, good atmosphere despite poor company culture

- cons: no real leadership in the west, poor planning, poor understanding of the west

it should be noted that if you filter it by korean reviews their rating shoot up and the reviews are far more favorable.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

"not much stress" and "no job security" is a very strange combination to find in a single workplace.

• duggyfr3sh123duggyfr3sh123 Member Posts: 95
    haha, true.
  • Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346

lol

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-Funcom-RVW2229630.htm

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a better product, one that works and doesn't require CS to get involved in predictably throughout the game experience.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by maplestone

"not much stress" and "no job security" is a very strange combination to find in a single workplace.

You're a Mercenary

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by duggyfr3sh123

5. CCP: 53% recommend the job, no CEO evaluation available

- cons: cronysm rampant, dead weight goes ignored instead of dealt with, long term planning poor, not enough trust given to american workers

Substitute "King of England" for "CCP" and you have a broad summary of reasons for armed rebellion in Eastern North America circa 1775

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Some comical reviews. I figure the ratings are a bit sckewed in favor of the workers that left on poor terms who are more likely give a review.