Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How are you handling the multiplayer crisis?

13»

Comments

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    Originally posted by xKopogerox

Path of Exile was the best example of a short lasting MMO that helped me shell out a month or two.

You started your post with the words " Fact is"

You then went on to make the statement I have quoted.

Fact is, PoE is NOT an MMO, PoE is an online Action RPG.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i havent played the multiplayer of Crisis

• aranhaaranha Member UncommonPosts: 171
    There is no general crisis in the mmorpg world. However there is a crisis for older dedicated mmorpg players right now which has been going on for quite some time. There's good stuff for us on the horizon though so 2013 might be our savior.
  • PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Can the OP again describe what a Multiplayer crisis is...?

This is MMORPG..   we don't care about multiplayer games, just massive multiplayer role playing games. Battlefield is a multiplayer game... <--that is not what we discuss, nor talk about here.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by Vidir

Fact is the market today is saturated with average at best multiplayers, thus making the audience scattered through many different MMO's due to uncertanty and lack of one clear and better choice. WOW was that choice until last few years and that's not longer the case, which of course has its pros and cons.

Guild Wars 2 I believe had something going, but for me it wasn't enough to commit to a purchase despite the massive hype I remember this site had for it. If you look at the current hype for all upcoming MMO's you'll notice one clear picture, it will be more of the same at least until the end of the year.

Last multiplayer I played was just to pass and kill the time until something bright comes on the horizon, but it will be longer than I hoped it will, therefore this poll fits perfectly to help the community deal with the current crisis.

So how are you handling the crisis?

For me if I do get involved with something from what's avaliable at the moment it must be free. I know I won't be committed to it and the ideas, executions, and the direction of todays MMO's do not cater to my preferences. Path of Exile was the best example of a short lasting MMO that helped me shell out a month or two. Then I had to do other things like catch up on TV series, and rarely, casually try some singleplayers, which these days do not appeal to me much.

As a someone who's been playing hardcore over the years, I must admit it's been an interesting change of pace and I'm curious to see how others are handling these MMO crysis as well.

If all is certain is the fact that at the end happiness does not depend on knowledge and I believe still a significant portion of the younger audience is enjoying many MMO's out there right now. I know this because when I was 6-7 years old and new to gaming I played virtually everything with passion and over and over. Games at the arcade, and most NES, SNES and PSX console games that were coming out last decades were my best childhood I could ask for.

I'm not that person anymore. I'm not 7-8 years old for better or worse, but I can still picture myself having a blast playing a game just like back in the days. If I had a choice between playing many of the F2P multiplayers today or paying $30-50 monthly for a next generation,  massive, virtual mutliplayer world developed by a far larger team with far more features, complexity and overall depth and maturity behind it.

Companies and developers I believe should aknowledge that what's good sells and what's not, not so much. There are guilds merging to overcome bigger challenges, there are teams working together and I believe that's whats lacking the most in todays gaming industry. Companies not working together, not wanting to deliver something bigger in the picture than what's already avaliable and without big risks, there won't be big rewards, not for companies or players like me.

I admit, I'm probably minority, but I do believe one day I want to be part of a game so complex and massive that when mentioned most wont look down upon or consider just a "childs game" or "not good enough for the multi millionaires irl.

The sad truth is how we do have the technology today to deliver such pruduct, but the product is still missing. At the end I don't want to know that I was born 50-100 years earlier to miss on such epic game. I know one thing for sure thu, whoever will be behind it, designing that game will require massive love toward gaming, commitment and understanding.

You can't have a guy who chosed other things over gaming to be behind the development such game. You can't have a guy who put other things 1st like $ and family. It must be someone who's played most games out there over the last decades and not just played, but played like a champion.

There are no crisis.

Things are changing thats all.Players dont want to be looking for groups all day long. You kill the dragon by yourself or with a friend. No more 6 houre forced raids 4 days every week if you want to get decent loot. Good gear is not anymore made for raiders only,that is good.

So far only 21% are happy with their MMO and 47% are not playing anything. Looks like crisis to me. I have yet to hear from someone yet to actually share to the community how they handling the crisis, which was the point of this thread. Oh and beside watching TV series, I'm also very happy that the NBA playoffs are about to begin.

I really loved Game of Thrones, The Vampire Diaries and Once Upon a Time. Arrow afterwards was the best TV show I could ask for and now I'm near the end of season 3 of the Walking Dead, another great TV show. I also enjoy watching Anger Management and Two and a Half Men still and of course Family Guy. It would be nice if anyone else can add anything else that I could be missing :) Oh and yea I did watch some of the new Sherlock Holmes series as well as the new Hannibal series, which are good as well.

10 years ago maybe 1millon people were playing mmo's now there are lot more.

13 yeard ago i played my first mmo and that was Asherons Call. I absolutly love that game. But times are changing.back then it was fun to group with people and doing quests helping  eachother, but not anymore,only cool thing in mmo's todaty is trading and chatting, and that is why games in the fututre will focus more and more on trading with people and chatting, no more forcerd groupping please.