Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoW VIP vs Free & Impressions of the game

kjb619kjb619 Member Posts: 7

A lot of people seem to be hating on the VIP (pay 2 win?). In actuality it is probably one of the best systems I have ever seen.

If you have 2 people, Player #1) with a ton of money and zero time, and Player #2) with a ton of time and zero money, this game keeps them on fairly even footing during their entire career. 

How? With daily limits on practically everything.

Even if you have time AND money your still under the same daily restrictions. I don't understand where all the hate is coming from (mostly from player #2). (If you're the one with no time and no money you should probably get back to your school work or watching your kids anyways, =) j/k.)

I payed for VIP and will continue to do so because it saves so much time that I don't have. But I will never understand the free player #2 wanting to be able spend a ton more time on the game than player #1 and think they "DESERVE" to be way ahead of that player. You expect the company to continue supporting and updating the game that you love so much but don't want to support yourself.

This game has hooked me more than ANY other game since Asherons Call: Darktide. I think the reason for that is my laid back approach to the game. If you stop trying to be so damn competitive, take the time to learn, hang out, and just enjoy the things this game has to offer... it is an incredibly fun game to spend some time on. 

So far it seems to me that the old school mmo'ers love this game. People that played EQ1 (which I hated, but beside the point), Asherons Call, UO.

People that would probably hate this game if they loved these: WoW, Rift, GW2.

That is just my opinion and observations up to now. Either way, great game so far.

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by kjb619
    If you have 2 people, Player #1) with a ton of money and zero time, and Player #2) with a ton of time and zero money, this game keeps them on fairly even footing during their entire career. 

How is that fair?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• kjb619kjb619 Member Posts: 7
    Because I weigh my time the same as you weigh money. That's how. Again... just my opinion.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Nitth

How is that fair?

that is not entirely true. The VIP earns more exp cultivation (faster) within the allowed time before reaching the limit he mentioned. So yeah VIP progress a bit faster but its not like Free people are locked or something.

• kjb619kjb619 Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by Nitth

How is that fair?

that is not entirely true. The VIP earns more exp cultivation (faster) within the allowed time before reaching the limit.

I concur, however, you also spend more time crafting and gathering than I am able too. Thus putting you further ahead gear wise, thus putting us again on equal footing... if that makes sense. Once again... just my opinion. =)

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Why is it not logical to you that someone who spends more time actually playing the game would feel that he deserves to be further along in terms of progression in that game, than someone who doesn't but spends more money.

That is the very essence of a game in the first place: you progress in it by playing it. Something that goes for even frekkin monopoly, yet gets abolished in many mmo's now.

Because I weigh my time the same as you weigh money. That's how. Again... just my opinion.

Except, why should I care how you weigh your time in terms of money? It has nothing to do with me.

Nor does the game offer an "exchange rate" that is catered to you, or anyone else for that matter, even if everyone believed that it is a good idea to measure time in terms of money in the first place.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

I agree with you. Honestly, I wasn't going to give this game the time of day. However, after hearing sandbox thrown around and the fact that players can kidnap other players; I pushed the download button as fast as I can.

This game is really neat. I also noticed that the monthly fee is 30gold ($9). That is a pretty good amount. IIRC you can also chip in in-game cash to purchase VIP.

As far as P2W goes, my definition stands firm: Pay 2 Win: The ability to purchase exclusive advantages with real currency that are not available to the general player-base. AoW does not that have. Any player can reach that level of a paid player without paying. 

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by Sora2810

I agree with you. Honestly, I wasn't going to give this game the time of day. However, after hearing sandbox thrown around and the fact that players can kidnap other players; I pushed the download button as fast as I can.

This game is really neat. I also noticed that the monthly fee is 30gold ($9). That is a pretty good amount. IIRC you can also chip in in-game cash to purchase VIP.

As far as P2W goes, my definition stands firm: Pay 2 Win: The ability to purchase exclusive advantages with real currency that are not available to the general player-base. AoW does not that have. Any player can reach that level of a paid player without paying. 

ture but vips get more perks then just those, you having to lvl offline is a huge progress and the main progress for a free player would be a team practice (tp) then its have a limt if everyone did a perfect would be a 25 plus 10 rounds of it, we also have the kidnap you can do to offline players, but take notice, anyone around can attack you to free the kidnapped or take him to himself, and one more thing vips get extra bonus for doing it,

then we have teh gear, since you have to buy everything or craft yourself, we sure do have a problem, only ways to get silver (taels) is kidnapping(not nice if you are from some of good schools since its against they rules) selling iems to other player or trading 1 gold for 10 Laing of silver, doing pve you get coins who is used to buy things from npcs and NPCS ONLY, you can kind of trade coins for silver if you collect or farm things to sell but it will take your time and a lot. vip have a nice chance to get 10L taels(or more or less) each day you char do a offline work with depend on shear luck and open slots on that map.

only way I can see you going far here is or you are vip, or you are playing 20hours a day and even so you will be getting busted and annoyed, lots of afk too to cultivate thing(at least it don't have a inactive timer) or you are a damn lucky guy to have a nice guild who do several things together and drop lots of scripts to sell and or steal a lot too.

one thing though if you like to play alone a lot you are busted on things, I recommend you go for wanderer's or royal guards(both evil) or tangmen, the first 2 can perma lock others and tangmen can keep they target at distance and do some nice damage.

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

The issue is the mixed messages.

I, like you have enjoyed Wushu. I log in each day, I do my thing, I play the game, I enjoy it. It seems like a Sandbox. It needs a bit more OW sand IMO but you aren't being forced to do anything and that's where the mixed message comes in.

FFA PvP translates to forced PvP.  I haven't had that happen yet. In truth, in a FFA PvP system, money won't be your I-Win button. EVE proved that. I could spend $100, $500, $2000, $10,000. It won't save me. Gank, Gank, Gank. I just have more to lose. Here it won't be so much money but Complexity. It will all go to waste though if you are getting ganked 5:1 and losing anyway. In free fro all PvP Gank wins, every time. All you need to do is figure out how much gank you need for win sauce. You can say it should be that way. They outnumber us 20:1 they kind of deserve to win. That's not the point. It nullifies everything else, why go to so much trouble adding depth when there is an abslute trump card?

Saying all that, it's a mixed message because I haven't had it happen and I'm enjoying Wushu. My original statement on this game holds though. I'm keeping my investment light because in time I expect to run out of ways to develop my character and all roads will lead to gank, gank, gank and what guild can zerg better than everyone else, that's the guild I need to melt in to and lose all my identity in.

• A1D3NA1D3N Member UncommonPosts: 276

VIP get 30% more cult.... tbh its not that much... i went from normal to VIP and i was like oh... its a little more lol,

and the only other thing with VIP is setting up offline shop

pritty much the main good things about VIP

i wudnt say AoW is pay to win, its more like pay to level faster

Currently Playing:
    ...... :(