Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gratz TSW on moving to the top of the "Released Game List"

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
Title says it all. Keep up the good work. Show and prove.
"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    This is such an important day and shall be written in golden letters in history books.
  • KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022
    I am seeing DarkFall, what drugs u guyz using?

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    I'm surprised bc lol. You've been here long enough to know how the ratings here work. 
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Well.. Darkfall is on the top right now so that quickly changed.. doubt it will stay there for long though.

But I do think GW2 and TSW deserve to be at the top. They prove that subscription games aren't the only quality MMOs you can find.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    You've been here long enough to know how the ratings here work. 

"Not at all"? Or just "Not in any way that's useful"?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Nice to see those games at the top.  TSW is a bit of a sleeper but still a great game.  Hats offf to GW2 and Darkfall as well.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Darkfall is in first place now...

Probably because some darkfall fans took the time to create some accounts and give both TSW and GW2 some bad hype

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Ortwig
    Nice to see those games at the top.  TSW is a bit of a sleeper but still a great game.  Hats offf to GW2 and Darkfall as well.

In all fairness DF:UW just got up there. It needs some time to shake out.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Ortwig Nice to see those games at the top.  TSW is a bit of a sleeper but still a great game.  Hats offf to GW2 and Darkfall as well.

When a new game releases, it tends to have a high natural score, which changes the curve. The relative positions don't change, but the scores do. So DF:UW does have a higher natural score than TSW, but not by much. bcbully is right in that as the scores continue to come in, the positions of the games will change.

It's interesting that TSW has managed to stay up there for awhile, even with a couple other games releasing.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Only one game on the whole top-whatever list that's at least a year old.

I mean, you can back off that goalpost until it reflects what you want it to, right?

"Only the games >10 years matter."

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Icewhite

Only one game on the whole top-whatever list that's at least a year old.

I mean, you can back off that goalpost until it reflects what you want it to, right?

"Only the games >10 years matter."

Well there is a difference between 8 months 700 votes and 1 day right 100 votes right?  Not taking anything from DF:UW, but these things take time to shake out. You know this Ice.

Well there is a difference between 8 months 700 votes and 1 day right 100 votes right?  Not taking anything from DF:UW, but these things take time to shake out. You know this Ice.

'Course I do. Just very careful on moving the goalposts to make your poll data function for whatever POV you favor.

"Statistics never lie but liars use statistics", right? Anal-retentive instrinctive skeptic training left over from Stats110. Whole chapters on poor use of poor poll results.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

"Statistics never lie but liars use statistics"

And the quote of the year goes to......

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    I love The Secret World but man, Darkfall is also amazing. In my opinion they are both deeper than GW2 which I also love.
    Originally posted by Icewhite

'Course I do. Just very careful on moving the goalposts to make your poll data function for whatever POV you favor.

"Statistics never lie but liars use statistics", right? Anal-retentive instrinctive skeptic training left over from Stats110. Whole chapters on poor use of poor poll results.

Aaaand how does any of that pertain to this thread? You trying too hard... as usual. 

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486

sry but that means nothin. i just checked the the rating comments on the gw2 site.. the last comments which are talkin bad about the game are from ppl with overall post of 0-3. and the last ones talkin good about tsw were also accounts with overall 0-3 posts.

so that means to me that the tsw fanboys are atm more active than the other ones.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Gratz :)

Originally posted by khartokhar3

sry but that means nothin. i just checked the the rating comments on the gw2 site.. the last comments which are talkin bad about the game are from ppl with overall post of 0-3. and the last ones talkin good about tsw were also accounts with overall 0-3 posts.

so that means to me that the tsw fanboys are atm more active than the other ones.

Does it matter? Why can't someone just enjoy a game without trying to prove that all others are inadequate. You know you ARE allowed to like multiple games in the same genre -_-

Are there people on this site that probably gave TSW or GW2 a 0-2 out of 10? You betcha. These individuals have some personal issues, imo. They literally can not enjoy the games they like unless they "prove" that all other games suck.

Don't be that guy.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• Mystik86Mystik86 Member CommonPosts: 380

Going to throw my two cents in here.

First off I cannot even begin to understand why or how this game is #1 for released games right now. I'll give some examples of why it shouldn't even be part of the top 5. Before I begin I will say that I beta tested, preordered, and played this game putting in several months and reaching rank 10 gear/skills before I became absolutely bored as tits and left. I'm also a huge fan of the urban horror genre and it takes a lot to make me sick of a game in that genre. 

Going to list some reasons in numbered points with explanations:

1) Character creation is just bad. As a fan of character customization and uniqueness I was sorely disappointed with TSW's character creation system. It didn't even come close to Age of Conan's which featured enough customization to, for the most part, create a unique looking character. It boggles my brain why both games run on the same engine yet TSW, the newer game, has far inferior character creation going almost as far as making WoW's chargen look better by comparison. In a battle between presets and actual sliders the presets always lose, especially for a roleplayer.

2) Combat is plain and boring and worse than button mashing. Again, it's got a dramatically downgraded combat system compared to Funcom's Age of Conan which in my opinion has the best combat system out of any MMO that isn't twitch-based. There is no skill required and sitting there hitting 1-3 abilities over and over again doing dick all damage to the mobs is quite frankly more boring than LotRO's sorry excuse for combat. This is by far the biggest fail of TSW.

3) Small zones which purposely encourage developer laziness and a poor excuse for no mounts. The zones are so small that there is no way we will ever see mounts in the game. You'd think with a slick ubran horror game with all it's touted features it'd have larger zones, even adding 10-30% more landmass to each zone would make vehicles/riding animals viable. Nope, Funcom decided against one of the biggest staples of MMOs. Some may disagree but walking and running is boring and the lack of mounts takes away an important layer of gameplay.

4) A themepark MMO wrapped in a psuedo-sandbox skin. The game mechanics were designed, in my opinion, for a much larger world with some sandbox elements yet for whatever reason (likely laziness, lack of funds, creative drive) Funcom decided to turn it into a cleverly packaged themepark. Looking at the amazing investigation missions, the only part of the game requiring skill, you'd think they'd fit better in a sandbox.

5) Small population. Population always felt small. Never saw many players running around and getting groups for missions and dungeons was difficult at best. Even if you did manage to get a full group for something it seemed that almost ever tank I ever found was improperly decked or geared. The deck system favors certain builds and many of them were DPS. It was very difficult to find player-made builds that worked well to rank 10 and coupled with the lack of players it made group play a rare but disappointing feat.

6) Informed players spoke, nobody listened. As a result the game goes B2P with paid DLC. The players who would have otherwise kept TSW from going that route left because of some of the stuff I've stated above. People would have been willing to pay a monthly sub and continue playing if we didn't have to pay for DLC or waste time with a cash shop. I'm sure 80% of TSW's original supporters would have stayed if Funcom had made the game a little more vast, a little more open and a little more sandboxy as well.

My biggest gripes with TSW are points 1 to 4. 6 isn't so bad, but I will likely never play the game again or pay for DLC. A game with these flaws doesn't deserve to be #1 nor a top 5 candidate. Out of the total amount of MMOs on the market today I'd say TSW should fall between the #10-#20 range. Pretty graphics and a decent fully-voiced storyline do not compensate for the failures I've listed. Sorry fanboys. Sorry Funcom. You fail.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Eh I know the ratings are a joke and all, but its nice seeing a game more deserving up at #1 at least. Bothered me seeing another game there yet hearing the issues for this game being exactly the same as that other game with its combat basically, just having less of a more 'unique' setting behind it.

None the less, grats i suppose, not really great to go for the whole 'score' deal but eh it does satisfy me at least this game gets some respect it deserves.

Originally posted by Purutzil

Eh I know the ratings are a joke and all, but its nice seeing a game more deserving up at #1 at least. Bothered me seeing another game there yet hearing the issues for this game being exactly the same as that other game with its combat basically, just having less of a more 'unique' setting behind it.

None the less, grats i suppose, not really great to go for the whole 'score' deal but eh it does satisfy me at least this game gets some respect it deserves.

It only deserves respect for going the urban horror route. Any other reasons for it being #1 are highly invalid. The game deserves something more along the lines of #10 on a good day.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by Mystik86

Going to throw my two cents in here.

First off I cannot even begin to understand why or how this game is #1 for released games right now. I'll give some examples of why it shouldn't even be part of the top 5. Before I begin I will say that I beta tested, preordered, and played this game putting in several months and reaching rank 10 gear/skills before I became absolutely bored as tits and left. I'm also a huge fan of the urban horror genre and it takes a lot to make me sick of a game in that genre. 

Going to list some reasons in numbered points with explanations:

1) Character creation is just bad. As a fan of character customization and uniqueness I was sorely disappointed with TSW's character creation system. It didn't even come close to Age of Conan's which featured enough customization to, for the most part, create a unique looking character. It boggles my brain why both games run on the same engine yet TSW, the newer game, has far inferior character creation going almost as far as making WoW's chargen look better by comparison. In a battle between presets and actual sliders the presets always lose, especially for a roleplayer.

2) Combat is plain and boring and worse than button mashing. Again, it's got a dramatically downgraded combat system compared to Funcom's Age of Conan which in my opinion has the best combat system out of any MMO that isn't twitch-based. There is no skill required and sitting there hitting 1-3 abilities over and over again doing dick all damage to the mobs is quite frankly more boring than LotRO's sorry excuse for combat. This is by far the biggest fail of TSW.

3) Small zones which purposely encourage developer laziness and a poor excuse for no mounts. The zones are so small that there is no way we will ever see mounts in the game. You'd think with a slick ubran horror game with all it's touted features it'd have larger zones, even adding 10-30% more landmass to each zone would make vehicles/riding animals viable. Nope, Funcom decided against one of the biggest staples of MMOs. Some may disagree but walking and running is boring and the lack of mounts takes away an important layer of gameplay.

4) A themepark MMO wrapped in a psuedo-sandbox skin. The game mechanics were designed, in my opinion, for a much larger world with some sandbox elements yet for whatever reason (likely laziness, lack of funds, creative drive) Funcom decided to turn it into a cleverly packaged themepark. Looking at the amazing investigation missions, the only part of the game requiring skill, you'd think they'd fit better in a sandbox.

5) Informed players spoke, nobody listened. As a result the game goes B2P with paid DLC. The players who would have otherwise kept TSW from going that route left because of some of the stuff I've stated above. People would have been willing to pay a monthly sub and continue playing if we didn't have to pay for DLC or waste time with a cash shop. I'm sure 80% of TSW's original supporters would have stayed if Funcom had made the game a little more vast, a little more open and a little more sandboxy as well.

My biggest gripes with TSW are points 1 to 4. 5 isn't so bad, but I will likely never play the game again or pay for DLC. A game with these flaws doesn't deserve to be #1 nor a top 5 candidate. Out of the total amount of MMOs on the market today I'd say TSW should fall between the #10-#20 range. Pretty graphics and a decent fully-voiced storyline do not compensate for the failures I've listed. Sorry fanboys. Sorry Funcom. You fail.

While I actually agree with some of your negatives (I don't agree with #3 and #4), I don't think it's fair to ignore all the positives of the game.  There is quite a lot of positives in TSW.  Funcom didn't fail at all.  You yourself even said "amazing investigation missions" so obviously you got some enjoyment out of those.  They could have done better in a lot of areas, but I see no reason why it doesn't deserve to be in the top 5 if not the top.  I had fun the month of I played, and even though I didn't enjoy the combat and endgame content I certainly felt I got my money's worth on the investigation missions alone.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Definitely worth playing. A great effort from Funcom and I really hope it keeps improving.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Originally posted by AIMonster
    Originally posted by Mystik86

snipped

While I actually agree with some of your negatives (I don't agree with #3 and #4), I don't think it's fair to ignore all the positives of the game.  There is quite a lot of positives in TSW.  Funcom didn't fail at all.  You yourself even said "amazing investigation missions" so obviously you got some enjoyment out of those.  They could have done better in a lot of areas, but I see no reason why it doesn't deserve to be in the top 5 if not the top.  I had fun the month of I played, and even though I didn't enjoy the combat and endgame content I certainly felt I got my money's worth on the investigation missions alone.

You're right. I didn't list the positives, except the investigation missions. They are one of few reasons the game MAY deserve a top spot. I also admit the overall feel of the game, minus my issues, is pretty nice. The zones alone are breathtaking in my opinion but wasted. The combat could have been so much better, that would have really made it better for me. I may even be able to deal with the poor character creation if the combat was at least on par with AoC, or twitch-based (as it should have been)...

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Nice to see a deserving game take #1, GW2 is so bland, I bet if they erased the score and asked everyone to vote again at this point in time it would sit somewhere around 6.5-7.

Most people vote within the first few days, it wasn't until 2-3 weeks into GW2 you realized it's a hollow shell of a game with no progression, it's beyond casual, terrible PvP systems and a story that would only appeal to someone between the ages of 5 and 12.