Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which PC would you buy (2 choices)?

2»

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Dihoru

PS: By flexible I mean AMD has a odd habit of having backwards compatible sockets so if you get that AMD one day you could run a better AMD CPU on that socket but with certain features disabled (or restricted processor bandwidth, depends on the generational gaps).

That's the main reason I'm running AMD for the last decade. The previous CPU on my board was an AMD X3 425 (3-core ~2.7Ghz) which I bought 4 years ago. By nowI have upgraded this board to the max (well, I could get an 1100T, but that's an extremely small difference in performance).

The old AMD I used to have is now running on the board of my son's  (he's almost 15) new PC. This board is an AM3+ board and he can upgrade the CPU if he needs the extra power in time. I bet the FX series will be for sale for the coming 4-5 years anyway, or at least he can get a 2nd hand one by the time he needs the upgrade.

So yeah, economically, AMD is the best way to go for upgrades. But if you really need the power of an i7 now, best get that one (doubt it though that any gamer really NEEDS an i7...)