Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My love & hate for a popular game in decline

2»

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    It's not going anywhere until it stops being profitable. There are people still playing games much older than WoW with far fewer subscribers.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Going to repeat something here alot of people know already.
    9 million subs right ?
    7+ million are asians who pay 5 cent per hour, even if they log in once in 3 months...they get full credit for being an active subscriber in WoWs sub counter every 3 months.

Now thats on the table lets look at each expansion.

Vanilla - if you liked pvp / raiding <----this was a phenomenal start

TBC - good pvp nice raiding hard heroics <---- very good 1st xpac

WotLK - bad pvp - uldaur raid was good heroics to easy <---- worse then TBC

Cataclysm - bad pvp - bad raiding - shit heroics <---- even worse then WotLK

MoP - sorry dint stick around to witniss this shit anymore, cuntcrawler did to much damage for me to keep playing.

It goes down and down and down with each expansion.
    At least for me.......

You can go into full debate with how many subs WoW realy has.....but i think when you look at your main city in EU / USA you see guilds falling apart left and right.
    Dying servers for years calling for assistance from blizzard to merge with other servers.......years on end.

Blizzard was one of the most respected studios in the world, but their greed....made them the worste scum ever.

• RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Going to repeat something here alot of people know already.
    9 million subs right ?
    7+ million are asians who pay 5 cent per hour, even if they log in once in 3 months...they get full credit for being an active subscriber in WoWs sub counter every 3 months.

Now thats on the table lets look at each expansion.

Vanilla - if you liked pvp / raiding <----this was a phenomenal start

TBC - good pvp nice raiding hard heroics <---- very good 1st xpac

WotLK - bad pvp - uldaur raid was good heroics to easy <---- worse then TBC

Cataclysm - bad pvp - bad raiding - shit heroics <---- even worse then WotLK

MoP - sorry dint stick around to witniss this shit anymore, cuntcrawler did to much damage for me to keep playing.

It goes down and down and down with each expansion.
    At least for me.......

You can go into full debate with how many subs WoW realy has.....but i think when you look at your main city in EU / USA you see guilds falling apart left and right.
    Dying servers for years calling for assistance from blizzard to merge with other servers.......years on end.

Blizzard was one of the most respected studios in the world, but their greed....made them the worste scum ever.

Sadly there's just no way we'll ever play Vanilla and TBC again unless you time travel, the WoW we used to remember is gone now.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by evilastro
    It's not going anywhere until it stops being profitable. There are people still playing games much older than WoW with far fewer subscribers.

Even at "only" two or three million people in the West playing means over 30 million in revenue a month. The accounts out of Korea and China most likely add another 10  million to the mix. People fail to realize just how much stronger in the market WoW is over every other game. 

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

They need to bring back more epic non instanced content that directly ties into progression.  Theres literally no point in doing dungeons LFR or scenarios since im a raider and get my valor, gear, and money through that.  

Some World PvP would be nice too...they are really half  a**ing the PvP community.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

This.

The truth is, WoW is pretty bad now.

There are other MMOs that are better:

- GW2 is a better game for PVP, world PVP, questing etc

- Rift is better for raiding

The reason people still play WoW is basically they have become losers as a result of it, and still think there's a rainbow at the end of the tunnel. It's very much like gambers who become too invested to quit.

This is of course because normal people don't understand the concept of sunk costs vs investments, but that's really a debate for another time.

I used to play WoW. At the start I played it because it was a great game full of fun discoveries with friends.

For the last few years I played it, it was because I got stuck in the loot treadmill and easy ego-gratification that is required for people who are basically losers in RL.

Even the best WoW players in the world are basically RL losers who get ego gratification from pixels. It's not like WoW is an esport or anything, the fact is, no one gives a crap about WoW players apart from other WoW players, who these days are not very many in the west.

So, just to clarify, were all these people losers when you were playing as well or did they just become losers after you left the game?

Also picked up on the "Sunk costs vs investments" thing as well which is very, very odd? I have never seen my gaming time as an 'investment' in anything other than my entertainment at that time, just like a film or crossword puzzle, but of course being a 'normal person' or 'loser' i probably fall in to that category of people tha just wouldn't understand.

I never quite get why some people feel the need to try and run others down like this, always gives me a sense of that one kid in the playground who feels that he isn't being thrown the ball as often as everyone else and storms off shouting "I'm not playing anymore, you are all stupid" and then sits on the grass watching everyone else having their fun.....very sad.

I have played wow since the beginning, still in there now and still enjoying it. Since Vanilla i have never owned a full set of top ranked gear in either PvE or PvP, i don't raid, i do dungeons as and when i feel like it. At the end of the day it is a form of entertainment for me when i have finished a hard days work and i am not spending time with my family, watching a movie or washing the dishes.....it is a game, i relax, log on for an hour or two and have a bit of fun for less than the price of a cup of coffee a week.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.