Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the Defiance hate?

Comments

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by JeroKane

LMAO!  So now you are saying we need to switch platform? lol.

XBOX release of DEFIANCE has been a total dissaster! The first week the XBOX servers have been more down than up, due to performance and stability issues galore.

Not to mention that XBOX players have been  complaining left and right about the garbage Voice chat! Especially since on console you depend on it, rather than text chat hardly anybody uses on console.

The XBOX section of the Defiance forums were on fire. So come on now.

I seriously think you are here just trolling and not playing the game at all.

You don't know anything about the game's mechanics.... you pretty much don't know anything that has been going on the past three weeks! You just dismiss everything and try derail the thread with stupid TSW stuff that has nothing to do with DEFIANCE.

And yes, we know you hate Funcom and yes we know you hate TSW.  That you did not like the game, doesn't mean the game didn't function nor was it broken at launch.

But whatever.

Change platform if you want to have less people cheating, aimbots and memory hacks are predominately an issue with PC gaming.  You have a more level playing field on console.

Xbox issues have mainly been down to the US servers not the EU.  EU has had quite a smooth ride throughout, with good server uptime and minimal issues.   In fact I think most of the issues are impacting on the US servers. 

As for playing the game I have been playing every day since launch, but I don't worry about crap that is not important.   Weapons levels, vehicle levels, even EGO to an extent.  It's all happening in the background. I stick with one loadout,  about the only thing I do now and again is switch weapons.  I am not even moding weapons at the moment, just salvage the odd one here and there when I get a full inventory. 

Overall I am just surprised people that can put up with the rubbish that is TSW, want to knock Defiance. I would of thought by now you would be a lot less sensitive to minor issues and problems.  Especially as Trion are having to deal with issues due to volume of users, issues that Funcom never in a million years would even have to concern themselves about.  Not to mention Funcom could never get their game engine to run on Xbox, so overall I think Trion aren't doing too badly.  Breaking new ground is always going to have teething problems.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,956
    Originally posted by fallenlords

Overall I am just surprised people that can put up with the rubbish that is TSW, want to knock Defiance. I would of thought by now you would be a lot less sensitive to minor issues and problems.  Especially as Trion are having to deal with issues due to volume of users, issues that Funcom never in a million years would even have to concern themselves about.  Not to mention Funcom could never get their game engine to run on Xbox, so overall I think Trion aren't doing too badly.  Breaking new ground is always going to have teething problems.

So you don't like the animations in TSW. That doesn't mean it's broken! The animations do work and the combat does work!

So you do not like to use your brain doing the missions in TSW. That is fine. Doesn't mean the game is crap nor that it doesn't have content. It has in fact a jitload more content then Defiance!  In fact, the current entire map of Defiance fits in Kingsmouth + Savage Coast. That leaves all the rest (including 3 city hubs) TSW has and Defiance doesn't.

And for your information. Funcom actually got their engine to run on XBOX. That was never the problem. The problem was that the Age of Conan client size was too large for the XBOX360 platform. They had to sacrifice too much to get the client small enough for the console. THAT was the problem! Not the engine itself.

And TRION isn't breaking new ground with multi-platform!  All major game engines, like Unreal Engine, CryTek, etc support all platforms and have been doing so for years!

With the budget TRION had, they should have licensed one of those engines instead. They would have been far better off.

So you don't like the animations in TSW. That doesn't mean it's broken! The animations do work and the combat does work!

So you do not like to use your brain doing the missions in TSW. That is fine. Doesn't mean the game is crap nor that it doesn't have content. It has in fact a jitload more content then Defiance!  In fact, the current entire map of Defiance fits in Kingsmouth + Savage Coast. That leaves all the rest (including 3 city hubs) TSW has and Defiance doesn't.

And for your information. Funcom actually got their engine to run on XBOX. That was never the problem. The problem was that the Age of Conan client size was too large for the XBOX360 platform. They had to sacrifice too much to get the client small enough for the console. THAT was the problem! Not the engine itself.

And TRION isn't breaking new ground with multi-platform!  All major game engines, like Unreal Engine, CryTek, etc support all platforms and have been doing so for years!

With the budget TRION had, they should have licensed one of those engines instead. They would have been far better off.

TSW combat is button spam and run around in circles, if you call that combat.  I call that combat like five years ago. As mentioned before you might as well hold a hotdog as a shotgun the way weapons behave, or should I say don't behave.  Combat animations are broken, weapons disappear, they have no feel to them at all. 

I don't like TSW because it's dull.  Don't mind making my head hurt now and again if it's fun.  But the game is so boring.  Nothing happen in the first few hours of playing the game.  Find some camera's, go here, speak to some random Cowboy who looks totally out of place.  Run past all the Zombies if you like because their AI is so limited. Yeah it's a wonderful experience ...

Easy to say Funcom got the engine working when they have released nothing on the 360.  They barely have it working on PC and performance is not a word that they understand.   They said they would release AOC and TSW to Xbox, they didn't. Don't try and kid me that they would have to compromise quality, err what quality, fact is their engine is pants it leaks memory and is not performance tuned at all.  They leave it up to the user to compensate for their shortcomings, even though they publish min specs for things.  They as a company won't supply any benchmarks for comparison and they have issues with certain graphics card types.  It's a total mess and has been for a long time.

Trion is breaking new ground as they have simultaneously released an MMO on the the three major gaming platforms.  Final Fantasy did something similar but there Xbox release was years after their initial PC release.  On top of which they have a TV show tie-in.  That is breaking new ground, because it hasn't been done before.

You have a deep pasionate hate for funcom. We get it! You just trolling in the wrong forum. Just saying.

There is no reasoning with you. So I am done.

The official Defiance forums currently speak for itself in "how well" the game is currently doing.

But sure.... keep sticking your head in the sand and continue on with your "LA LA LA LA... nothing is wrong, everything is fine.".

Have a nice day.

You have a deep pasionate hate for funcom. We get it! You just trolling in the wrong forum. Just saying.

There is no reasoning with you. So I am done.

The official Defiance forums currently speak for itself in "how well" the game is currently doing.

But sure.... keep sticking your head in the sand and continue on with your "LA LA LA LA... nothing is wrong, everything is fine.".

Have a nice day.

Again didn't say nothing is wrong with Defiance, already stated it has issues.  Just can't understand how former/current TSW players, who should be so use to all kinds of issues, are in the Defiance forum moaning.  I thought you would have thicker skins than that by now.   I mean after my dalliance with Funcom I am immune to all but the most critical of errors.   Most games seem like fun after TSW, I even highly rated Alien Colonial Marines which I don't even understand myself.  My level of tolerance is so refined now that as long as a developer is trying I give them top marks. If they are doing something a bit new I even cut them some slack. 

As far as the official forums go, it seems a mixed bag and sort of what you would expect.  People with problems tend to be more vocal than those having no issues. Seems like there are more problems on certain platforms than others. But I am not getting an overwhelming sense of doom.  Again community updates, Trion have acknowledged the issues.  They acknowledged the patch didn't go as intended, they admitted to be too far reaching in their scope.   The complexities of running on three platforms must throw up unique problems.

I am not ignoring that Defiance has issues/ I am just pointing out that the issues being mentioned on here tend for the most part to have already been acknowledged.  They are not in my opinion what I consider to be game breaking, considering the setup of the game. Considering certain people find other products to be acceptable, which I view as totally sub-standard, it makes me question motives.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

But if I was deliberately picking fault with Defiance, then yes I would make out inventory items missing is a big whoop and skills being reset.   I certainly wouldn't give them credit for their scope or cut them any slack whatsoever with a three platform release, if I was deliberately picking fault.

One doesn't need to deliberately pick up faults since these are the biggest issues right now and more common than you may think. I am really happy for you that you didn' t lose anything. But i don't know why you are harassing those who have issues on basis of what games they play in the past? the topic is about Defiance and yes getting your skills, progression, puruits being reset three time in 2 weeks is a very big WHOOP!!

I have lost 3 rare weapons (the ones that i really needed) in total which i got after opening 45 T3 boxes. I send tickets but i was told replacement is not possible. So i just sucked it up and decided to just stop playing. It is not fun to lose 300 ego skills and your weapon skills being reset back to 1 which took me 3 weeks to progress. I am not goign to spend another 3 weeks to level up everything back again. Much better games on horizon.

You can try to down play this as much as you desire though but all you are doing is harssing people for the troubles they are having on basis of what other games they played or didn't play in past. Which is irrelevant to current issues with Defiance.

Originally posted by Whitebeards

One doesn't need to deliberately pick up faults since these are the biggest issues right now and more common than you may think. I am really happy for you that you didn' t lose anything. But i don't know why you are harassing those who have issues on basis of what games they play in the past? the topic is about Defiance and yes getting your skills, progression, puruits being reset three time in 2 weeks is a very big WHOOP!!

I have lost 3 rare weapons (the ones that i really needed) in total which i got after opening 45 T3 boxes. I send tickets but i was told replacement is not possible. So i just sucked it up and decided to just stop playing. It is not fun to lose 300 ego skills and your weapon skills being reset back to 1 which took me 3 weeks to progress. I am not goign to spend another 3 weeks to level up everything back again. Much better games on horizon.

You can try to down play this as much as you desire though but all you are doing is harssing people for the troubles they are having on basis of what other games they played or didn't play in past. Which is irrelevant to current issues with Defiance.

Again not what I consider to be major issues.   If any of it had a massive impact I would say yeah, but it doesn't from what I can see.  

Leveling things up is a fractional boosts at best, fair enough the cumulative end result might have an impact. But on things like rollers you are looking at 0.5 say boost in boost per level.   I understood the whole design of the game was so that levels are so marginal on purpose to allow people to play together.    None of the leveling is something you set out to do, it's all a background process.  I didn't decide to level LMGs, Assault Rifles and Sniper Rifles those were just the weapons I picked to use.  They leveled through virtue of being used, it was not specific and there was no intent on my part to level them. I didn't gun down a load of people with Sniper Rifles just to level the weapon class.

Losing items is always annoying, but again the structure of the game is so that there is always a better weapon on the horizon. Game being a few weeks old, I am surprised anybody has settled on a final loadout as yet.  Come the first DLC probably most weapons, even rare, will be obsolete. 

Overall I am not playing the problems down because I personally don't see them as major issues.    The expectations for this game were never high, it wasn't part of an existing franchise, the scope of what they are trying to achieve is a little above and beyond what others have done recently.  It's a shooter and an MMO, it's not going to have depth.   Crying about some missing inventory items and skills being reset, really isn't a big whoop in my eyes. 

I think games people have played in the past are relevant. Past games come into play, when you see a user heaping praise on a third rate below average game made by a developer with no moral compass.  Then they pop up here giving a game, which is in competition, a bit of grief.  I wonder on the motives as mentioned before.  It's easy to make mountains out of molehills. 

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

Again not what I consider to be major issues.   If any of it had a massive impact I would say yeah, but it doesn't from what I can see.  

I am not here to argue with you..because it is quite clear you don't even know how much effect skill progression in weapons make. So anything said to you is pointless. And losing 300 ego rating is no joke either. I am just going to ignore and not even bother reading rest of your post.

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

I am not here to argue with you..because it is quite clear you don't even know how much effect skill progression in weapons make. So anything said to you is pointless. And losing 300 ego rating is no joke either. I am just going to ignore and not even bother reading rest of your post.

Once again im one of the super lucky "few" (as this forum would make it seem) who havent had this issue...ever

I dont even think anything close to a majority of people had this issue.

They are major issues for people looking for game breaking issues.  Im fairly sure the progression lost on that one server crash will be replaced anyway...so really its more of an inconvienience...not that progression is all that important.

I mean you have already cleared the content (im sure) with much lower skill levels than you have now...so its not like losing an hours worth of progression is going to stop you in game and be, as you put it, game breaking.

The fact that theres one thread only 3 pages long on the main forums about this issue leads me to belive the numbers of people who had this problem are double diget.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Why I'm put off by this game, is the Season Pass- every damn game these days has the season pass thing now even MMO's...

Well explain it to me then if it's such a big deal.

Every time I look at weapon/vehicle skills I see next level 0.5%.boost, 0.5% crit multiplier etc.  Fractional adjustments, same with mods.  Just a quick check in my inventory on a comparable weapon, a 500 Frontier Saw (LMG) has the exact same stats as a 773 Saw (LMG), 404 DMG, 8.0 Fire Rate, 85 Mag, 4.3 Reload, 1.6x crit multiplier, 0.76 bloom.  All of the weapon skills are percentage based +/- .  Can't say I notice a big difference in weapon performance when the weapon skills are stepping up in such small increments.  Are you saying at level 20 for example a weapon class has substantial boosts?  What are we talking, like +50% reload, +80% crit multiplier,-70% recoil etc?

EGO again is a commodity that levels as you play and you need it for what exactly?  Unlocking perks, perhaps the ability to get/equip certain equipment.  Most of the time you have more perks unlocked than you can equip, unless you are using multiple loadouts.  Are you saying I need to keep an eye on EGO for some reason?  Because to me it's only useful for unlocking some minor perks, that again hardly impact on things overall.
  • IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by BrownAle

Once again im one of the super lucky "few" (as this forum would make it seem) who havent had this issue...ever

I dont even think anything close to a majority of people had this issue.

They are major issues for people looking for game breaking issues.  Im fairly sure the progression lost on that one server crash will be replaced anyway...so really its more of an inconvienience...not that progression is all that important.

I mean you have already cleared the content (im sure) with much lower skill levels than you have now...so its not like losing an hours worth of progression is going to stop you in game and be, as you put it, game breaking.

The fact that theres one thread only 3 pages long on the main forums about this issue leads me to belive the numbers of people who had this problem are double diget.

Ya I have been playing since beta and I have not had no issues with Defience. Maybe it is just super unlucky "few" that are the ones having problems??

Originally posted by TeknoBug

Why I'm put off by this game, is the Season Pass- every damn game these days has the season pass thing now even MMO's...

You dont need the season pass. I still dont have it. You get the whole game if you choose not to buy the season pass. It is just for additonal race etc. Game price is half price now and you get a great game imo.

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

I only have one question...

Was it not fun to progress to where you were at before it was reset/lost?  Sounds to me like you're dreading the notion of having to do it again... a tell-tale sign that it's not actually fun but a race to get to max whatever.   Fun doesn't start when you are at max whatever, it should start at character creation... if not, why even bother with the story and just pay for a max whatever toon?  If that's where the fun is supposed to begin...

Originally posted by pmiles

Was it not fun to progress to where you were at before it was reset/lost?  Sounds to me like you're dreading the notion of having to do it again... a tell-tale sign that it's not actually fun but a race to get to max whatever.   Fun doesn't start when you are at max whatever, it should start at character creation... if not, why even bother with the story and just pay for a max whatever toon?  If that's where the fun is supposed to begin...

Depends on the person I guess. Me personaly I am not even sure what people are talkig about here. I lost nothing with my game. The story is the main reason why I play the game. Wish more MMO's had great stroy lines like Defiance.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Isturi

You dont need the season pass. I still dont have it. You get the whole game if you choose not to buy the season pass. It is just for additonal race etc. Game price is half price now and you get a great game imo.

Actually no one really knows what the DLC are going to be. Trion's statements on the subject have been deliberately vague, excruciatingly so for a product that went on sale before the game even launched, and people have been filling in the blanks from there -- mostly with whatever happens to be convenient to whatever argument is being made at the time.

• HugolinHugolin Member UncommonPosts: 83
    the game is fun, it has a good price, people that say that should be 10 dollars have 15 years old or dont have jobs, its like a tabula rasa without monthly fee, dunno why someone wouldnt play it, its a fun game and not many mmo with this setting and gameplay. so i really dont understand the hate
    Originally posted by pmiles

I have just plodded along and I am enjoying the journey.  One of the reasons I don't understand why people are wigging about stuff, because I can't put it into context at the moment.  Been playing since launch and think I am just at the end of the main quest line now.  But haven't even started properly with contracts, PVP, Shadow Wars or even major Arkfalls yet.  So I still have a lot to enjoy.   So as far as I am concerned, it's been fun and still is fun.  

I understood the max EGO level was 5000 or something.  So I can't see somebody has maxed out already, not unless they have been buying some sort of multipliers/boosts from the in-game store. 

• OceanhawkOceanhawk Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Originally posted by Ginaz

I find TSW to be fun just like I find Defiance fun.  There's no need to trash other games when trying to defend a game you like.

Not trying to defend the game, trying to understand why somebody would get their knickers in enough of a twist to complain about it. 

But as for TSW.  There really is no defence, it's a dull and boring game and not even fun. It has guns and it has Zombies, yet it is still dull. Even The Walking Dead Survival Instinct managed to make that aspect fun. A below average game if there ever was one, and a game that was rushed out the door.  Fair enough you like it, it must be nice to be part of a niche crowd is all I will say.  Surprisingly most of which seem to turn up on the Defiance forum giving the game crap.  I would think they would have their heads in issue 6  The Indiana Jones Clone and the Pyramids of Despair or whatever is the latest monthly installment is, to be that bothered with Defiance. But I guess TSW can't be still holding their interest.

Really? YOu don't understand why people are upset? [mod edit]

The game had a lot of promise and I guess it still does. However currently it is only fun for a short time then it devolves into a boring repetitive grind fes, where you really don't know why you are grinding. Because EGo rating has no impact on the game at all, EQO points int eh matrix have limited impact, Weapons are all the same no matter if it's a legendary or a beginning "white" weapon. Itemization is poorly done anyway not that it matters.

The game crashes a lot, and this past weekend lots of people lost hours of play in an unannounced rollback. The game is billed as a MMO but it is really just a single player game with 2 or 3 multiplayer elements thrown in so it can be labled an MMO.

Still holding out hope that the game will improve and live up to the promises the deelopers made but the realist in me feels like the game will be dead before that has a chance to happen.

Originally posted by Oceanhawk

Really? YOu don't understand why people are upset? [mod edit]

No not really.  Shooters are shallow by nature, if you can't play one for whatever reason you play another. Server down, big deal - play something else until the servers are back up.   Defiance doesn't strike me as a game where you have to invest your heart and soul.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Hugolin

the game is fun, it has a good price, people that say that should be 10 dollars have 15 years old or dont have jobs, its like a tabula rasa without monthly fee, dunno why someone wouldnt play it, its a fun game and not many mmo with this setting and gameplay. so i really dont understand the hate

And I wouldn't pay $10 for a $1 McD's burger, either. Sometimes, value is part of the equation. I don't think Defiance is a $10-$20 dollar game because I think all games should be, I think it is because Defiance is not deep or polished or good enough to warrant a full $50-$60 price tag. Especially the PC version. And frankly, people that have and continue to blindly buy every new shiny MMO that comes out at full price are the reason that developers keep putting out the same bland, boring, shallow, crap over and over: because some/enough people keep buying them.

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?48523-Weapon-damage-is-client-side...-So-is-vehicle-speed-etc.-Way-to-go-Trion-way-to-go.

Yeah people cheat, they have and they always will.   That to me is moral standpoint you decide to take as an individual.  You find it at epidemic proportions on the PC in everything from Call of Duty to WoW.   One of the reasons I prefer consoles these days, less hacking overall and more facilities for reporting.

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?48523-Weapon-damage-is-client-side...-So-is-vehicle-speed-etc.-Way-to-go-Trion-way-to-go.

Yeah people cheat, they have and they always will.   That to me is moral standpoint you decide to take as an individual.  You find it at epidemic proportions on the PC in everything from Call of Duty to WoW.   One of the reasons I prefer consoles these days, less hacking overall and more facilities for reporting.

The point here is, that TRION's developers on DEFIANCE are absolutely clueless and incompetent.

Putting almost everything client side, like Damage, Shields, EGO powers, Speed, etc in an Online (FPS) game. Really??

That is just an Open invite to Hackers!

Sure other online games have hackers too, but mostly it's restricted to aim bots and wall / terrain visibility hacks. Also annoying ofcourse, as it's still cheating... but far less worrisome than people being able to manipulate damage, shields, EGO powers and speed and turn themselves into unkillable gods oneshotting everything!

It also clearly shows they haven't put a single Anti Cheat messure in please either!

It's All Points Bulletin all over again. Anyone remember that game? /shrug

The point here is, that TRION's developers on DEFIANCE are absolutely clueless and incompetent.

Putting almost everything client side, like Damage, Shields, EGO powers, Speed, etc in an Online (FPS) game. Really??

That is just an Open invite to Hackers!

Sure other online games have hackers too, but mostly it's restricted to aim bots and wall / terrain visibility hacks. Also annoying ofcourse, as it's still cheating... but far less worrysome than people being able to manipulate damage, shields, EGO powers and speed and turn themselves into unkillable gods oneshotting everything!

It also clearly shows they haven't put a single Anti Cheat messure in please either!

I rest my case.

LMAO all that thread is that is linked  is just a disgruntle person who just seems to want to get attention with a negative thread. It dose not prove anything. Bottom line is Defiance is not going anywere gamers are enjoying the game very much so and no matter what kind of nagativity people may contenue to try to post or youtube or whatever true fans of the game will contenue to enjoy and play and watch the show.

I rest my case.image

This discussion has been closed.