Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the Defiance hate?

DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392

I recently bought Defiance on GMG for $33.   Seriously good price, go get it.   Anyway, I just started playing this morning until server update right now.   I really don't understand all the hate against the game.    This is seriously a very good enjoyable game.   I'm sure as with ANY themepark, it will run out of content and possibly fast.   However, they are saying there will be some serious DLC action coming.   But other than that, why hate?   To me it is a great mix between Borderlands and Gears of War in an MMO.   

Yes, it is a console/PC game and so the social aspect is significantly diminished from other PC-Only MMOs.   Most people you try to chat to, don't chat back (either they are dills or on an XBOX or PS3).   But it is clearly a different kind of game, one that I am so far enjoying emensly.  I think most people's problem is they went into it with an expectation in mind instead of going into to have some serious fun!   Recognize what it is.  It's not a competitor with Call of Duty, nor with World of Warcraft.   It is really a fairly unique game and so far a good bit of emphasis on exploration.   I for one am having a great time cruisin in my roller finding little enemy camps and trackin down those side-missions.   Plus with the T.V. show, they really hit my lore bone.   Not only can you get into the lore in-game (with the story missions it really helps dive in) but also on the TV show.  I love a game I can really get into the world of and this is definately one of em.

People seriously need to stop hating on games and go into a game with a fresh state of mind, one that is ready for fun and adventure.   Remember when gamers used to be open to new worlds?   Thriving on new stories?  And always seeking fun and adventure in every new game?    Man, how we have become jaded and snobby.

Seriously tho for $33, stop reading idiots reviews (like mine) and go try it for yourself WITH an open mind and eagerness to explore a new earth.   Whatever you do, don't go into it expecting the best MMORPG of all time (that game died when Sony released Planes of Power for EQ :P )   but do go in expecting to explore and have fun shooting up random crap :)

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

Comments

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Not a bad post but it will lead to nothing good.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    thnx.   dude I love your quote in your signature...that is great!   I'm totally using that (and forgetting where I heard it)  haha  :)  

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

If we were to find out the real truth of the matter is that companies pay people to come on these threads just to create negative threads as to keep people on the fence away from the game. Usually rival gaming companies.

The reason why Defiance is because it is a first in the entertainment world with a TV and a MMO combine. Other game companies are losing money, so they see Trion and Sy Fy as a threat they low blow the game bottom line.

Defiance is not going any ware and actually I am kind of glade that these people are scared of Defiance because it just goes to prove that Trion and Sy Fy know that they have prob one of the best entertainment experiences for our dollar that is a B2P game and free very well put Sci Fi show that ties in with the game.

TYVM Trion Wolds and TYVM Sy Fy channel.

I mean who in their right mind will want to spind their day otherwise to come here and just put down Defiance day end and Day out? I would imagine that people would have better things to do with their life. LOLimage

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    I would suggest watching the Angry Joe review.  I think he gives it a fair score when he says 5 out of ten but the possibility of improving.   And he definitely agrees that the gunplay is fun.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    I haven't seen very much hate, much less than other games.  There actually hasn't been very much regarding this game at all on these forums anyway.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • eisenryueisenryu Member Posts: 157
    Because the game is more console-friendly. And that never flies too well with the PC master race.

World of Warcraft is the original creation of God. Real Life is in fact a WoW clone.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    I haven't seen very much hate, much less than other games.  There actually hasn't been very much regarding this game at all on these forums anyway.

Just go to the Defiance forum. You will see what he means.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Daranar
    thnx.   dude I love your quote in your signature...that is great!   I'm totally using that (and forgetting where I heard it)  haha  :)  

I got a chuckle out of it too after you pointed it out. lol

As for Defiance, even I'm unsure why it's catching so much flak and I'm cautious about damn near everything these days.  It could have something to do with people expecting something "bigger" than Rift, or at least deeper.  Or maybe MMORPG fans are not MMOTPS fans.  I still want to play it regardless of the lukewarm reviews, but you have to admit it's a bit of a culture shock to the majority of MMORPG fans who, for the life of them, can't seem to find a +10 greatsword in their inventory.

Just guesses.  I mean, from what I've seen, it plays smoothly, the graphics are awesome, and it has a good story.  Hell, I got less than that from SWTOR.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    I Think its partially because removing episodes from the game to coincide with the show was a really really stupid idea and whoever though of it should feel bad.
  • The_SnizzThe_Snizz Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I just went on there to buy it for $33 but they changed the price back to the full $59.99. AHH!
  • red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Excellent work! A few more posts like this, and I shall have all the hate and rage I need to crush young Trion Skywaylker!
  • eisenryueisenryu Member Posts: 157
    The main reason for the hate was expectations. There are some people who expected a full on MMO and some who expected a shooter. Those who expected a full MMO were disappointed and those who expected a shooter were pleasantly surprised. At least thats my take on it.

World of Warcraft is the original creation of God. Real Life is in fact a WoW clone.

• TjedTjed Member Posts: 162

I really want to try this game.  I had a lot of fun in Rift and I think Trion is a great company.  I think that having an MMO and a TV show running at the same time is awesome.  I want to buy this game, if for no other reason, then because I want that idea to be rewarded.  I'm gearing up to play some Neverwinter soon (talk about going into it with a fresh perspective) and I'm not sure if I'll have time. 

If it gets down to about $30, I'm in. 

I'm glad you are having fun in the game. 

• prestodotexeprestodotexe Member Posts: 35
    Hes not joking, this game is badass! Ive been waiting for something good to play and this is it! So far 130 hours logged in game and enjoying every minute of it!  Come play or your all missing out

haha presto!

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,202
    Originally posted by Boneserino
    I would suggest watching the Angry Joe review.  I think he gives it a fair score when he says 5 out of ten but the possibility of improving.   And he definitely agrees that the gunplay is fun.

Yeah, I agree.  I might try the game sometime, but only when it drops to half price.  It's just another shooter, and they're common as dirt.  The TV show wasn't great, but it was watchable.  

• MentalAnarchyMentalAnarchy Member Posts: 14

To anyone on the fence regarding Defiance - It's just plain FUN. 

I'm not the type of person that enjoys TPS or FPS titles every time I game.  But when I am in the mood, Defiance is so very satisfying.  Not only the huge assortment of Guns and Mods you can find, but the driving is fun as hell too.  I love running over mobs.  I enjoy the physics in-game.

I dunno why there's so much hate.  I'm primarily a MMORPG guy, especially these days.  But after trying it out in Beta, I bought a TPS for the first time in years. 

And when I'm in the mood, it's a very satisfying experience.

EDIT:  If you *are* playing Defiance, be sure to enter 120 of these codes:
    http://defiance-pc.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Arkfall_Codes

on the Official EGO Website at: http://defiance.com/en/my-ego/

You get a bunch of in-game goodies for free.

Claim them in Settings, Store, Claim Rewards.  Cya in-game.

And please, no comments about the amount of posts I have.  I'm dealing with fallout due to saying something in a negative tone regarding a specific game.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I don't know. It seems like some people have personal agendas against any game they're not playing, some simply have fun stirring up a hornet's nest, and probably some flat out don't like it for whatever the reasons may be... even though the need to share their personal dislike with the world seems odd when talking about a game. 

Me? I like it. It's my second game now behind GW2 (and some MineCraft thrown in with Mo' Creatures, Underground Biomes and BuildCraft modded in). It's fun, that's what matters, and the show connection is a plus in my opinion.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    More indifference than hate. Read up on it, instance this, instance that, stopped reading.
  • Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Originally posted by Daranar

haha I like that!

No signature, I don't have a pen

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Ummm it is like asking why sky is blue or earth is flat.

People hate/dislike Defiance because they are not happy with end product.  Like everything else in life not everybody loves what you love. If i asked this question every time a new MMO released and someone gave me nickle for it, i would be rich.

And i think isturi needs a tin foil hat.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• MentalAnarchyMentalAnarchy Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    More indifference than hate. Read up on it, instance this, instance that, stopped reading.

See, this is direct BS that will give other people a bad impression.  The game isn't all instanced up.  Yes there are instances that you or you and your friends (or random players) can enter.  They are entirely optional (and fun to boot) however. 

But the game itself is wide open.  You can drive hard and see the sights. =)

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

There are instances? I've seen bits of phasing, but haven't done anything that's an instance that I recognized. Haven't tried Shadow Wars yet... don't have the skinny on that.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

If most of the people say that it is a mediocre but fun game, is that hate?

/shrug

I only wouldn't condone the purchase of a game without doing some research first.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

may be cuz it's console game disguised into MMO?

I don't think I'll like to buy bread instate of cookie etc.

just my guess

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Phasing, instancing, multiple shards of world zones, that bit where you can copy a pve area to pvp in - its all the same bobbins to me.

I'm Indifferent because I'm bored of instancing full stop. I'm only playing instance free mmos from now on. Which I guess leaves me ps2, dfuw when they kick the bugs out and maybe eqn and wod.
This discussion has been closed.