Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does all the CSE/CU/KS spam not break this sites user agreement?

Comments

• HjamnrHjamnr Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Tamanous

This is nowhere near the impact GW2 launch had on these forums. Because that was an actual game you could play we immediately saw the elitism come out and cross over onto other boards.

This CU KS duscussion is primarily about fans simply showing support ... and a few whiners who evidently think KS is the biggest scam in the world dispite hundreds of successful product launches from it.

Wait it out and don't worry about it.

Not the issue - the issue is the constant new threads about the game - when there isn't a game to even look or play? At least with GW2 there was. CU is all smoke and mirrors right now.

Stop trolling them then.  Every time you do, it increases the CU spam as people respond to your attacks.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Originally posted by Hjamnr

This is nowhere near the impact GW2 launch had on these forums. Because that was an actual game you could play we immediately saw the elitism come out and cross over onto other boards.

This CU KS duscussion is primarily about fans simply showing support ... and a few whiners who evidently think KS is the biggest scam in the world dispite hundreds of successful product launches from it.

Not the issue - the issue is the constant new threads about the game - when there isn't a game to even look or play? At least with GW2 there was. CU is all smoke and mirrors right now.

Stop trolling them then.  Every time you do, it increases the CU spam as people respond to your attacks.

As you typed this three brand new unrelated CU threads were created. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Case and point:  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5680759#5680759

If you don't post in their threads, they more quickly get lost in other spam.

Originally posted by steelwind

As you typed this three brand new unrelated CU threads were created. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

And they'll mostly disappear if you don't keep bumping them, like Botrytis does.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by muffins89

MMORPG.com does not allow users to advertise products or companies in our forums. If you want to advertise, contact [email protected].

cause im sick of sifting thru it.

Because we're not advertising? We're talking about a game we're excited about? And because it's not even a product yet, how can we advertise it.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

And they'll mostly disappear if you don't keep bumping them, like Botrytis does.

I don't have to bump them, they do fine all by themselves....

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

MMORPG.com does not allow users to advertise products or companies in our forums. If you want to advertise, contact [email protected].

Because we're not advertising? We're talking about a game we're excited about? And because it's not even a product yet, how can we advertise it.

Advertising -

the act or practice of calling public attention to one's product, service, need, etc., especially by paid announcements in newspapers and magazines, over radio or television, on billboards, etc.: to get more customers by advertising.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    At what point does a thread from someone who is simply excited about a game cross the line into advertising?  Maybe if it's the same person starting a bunch of identical threads or some such, but that's not common.  Often it's just fans who are overly excitable.  It's not like the site can say, you're not allowed to be excited about any MMORPGs.  If no one cared, then no one would come to this site and it would shut down.
  • steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

Well I am a die hard fan of Archeage and I have A LOT more to talk about and reasons to create threads because guess what, my game is actually tangible. I don't because this is a general MMO site so I choose to chime in when appropriate and choose to not turn MMORPG.com into my personal Archeage fanpage.

Originally posted by Quizzical
    At what point does a thread from someone who is simply excited about a game cross the line into advertising?  Maybe if it's the same person starting a bunch of identical threads or some such, but that's not common.  Often it's just fans who are overly excitable.  It's not like the site can say, you're not allowed to be excited about any MMORPGs.  If no one cared, then no one would come to this site and it would shut down.

from this thread: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/382806/page/1  "EVERYONE can afford $5 and what better way to show your support for the PC Gaming community than to skip that Starbucks/Big Gulp/Rockstar and help out an indie developer who is self-publishing a game. This is how we are going to keep the PC Gaming industry strong."

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

Well, it's traffic for the site and beats complaining about Scarlet Blade ads so I suppose its mostly harmless. ;)

Really though, this is a game that's in the funding stage and we see the producer/developer in these forums answering questions. Not just some random producer/developer (looking at you greedmonger), but someone who has a history (good or bad) in the industry. People have the opportunity to comment and, at least to some extent, participate in the concept phase of the potential game. I can see how a decent number of people would be interested and being a site about MMOs, it generally seems about as on-topic as you can get. If the KS fails, then it would no longer be a relevant topic. Maybe give a day for grieving then drop the sub-forum.

Now, the previous relates to conversation about the game and KS updates (race reveals, engine details, etc). The solicitation posts are certainly a bit tacky at this point. There is a thread for discussing the KS specifically and that'd seem the appropriate place for such posts.

So I guess I half-agree with the OP. I like the conversation and speculation about the game and think that is fine. Further asking for funds, outside of the specific KS thread, certainly does seem like spam.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

Advertising -

the act or practice of calling public attention to one's product, service, need, etc., especially by paid announcements in newspapers and magazines, over radio or television, on billboards, etc.: to get more customers by advertising.

By your definition, it's not my product, so its not advertising.

Well I am a die hard fan of Archeage and I have A LOT more to talk about and reasons to create threads because guess what, my game is actually tangible. I don't because this is a general MMO site so I choose to chime in when appropriate and choose to not turn MMORPG.com into my personal Archeage fanpage.

First, it's not a tangible game in the west. Second, AA has its own forums. CU does not.

If there's reason to be annoyed with anyone, that'd be the "regulars" here who bump those threads, whatever their stated purpose.  Not the fans of a potential MMORPG that sounds like what they've been desiring for many, many, many years.

As was pointed out, when people are fans, and they see something that excites them, of course they're going to be vocal about it.  Let them have their month in the sun... if it doesn't fund, the forum can go away.  If it does fund, CSE will be making internal backers forums, so the spam will also go away.

Win, win.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Would be fantastic if there was a block list i can add any game to that i don't want to appear on the front page.
    Originally posted by Alders
    Would be fantastic if there was a block list i can add any game to that i don't want to appear on the front page.

That would be a darn handy feature.

Advertising -

By your definition, it's not my product, so its not advertising.

read it again.

• TaldierTaldier Member CommonPosts: 235

Advertising -

This definition classifes the very existence of subforums, or even anyone ever mentioning a specific game in their posts as "advertsiing".

Calling attention to something you are excited about is not advertising in any rational sense.  CSE is not forcing people to talk about their project.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Quizzical

I have yet to see a post from this guy that isnt packed with Logic

You sir should be a Mod

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by RefMinor

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/realtime/

for those who seem to struggle with the idea

Glad to see someone else pays attention around here..

Plus this list is, at least in part, updated on the front page, where I usually refresh when I'm bored.

Either way regardless of that, forum sections exist for a reason, if a person is sick of a certain forums activity, they should avoid that forum, if they want to see more discussion on other games, visit the forum for those games. Moaning about which has the most activity or content you don't want to see is akin to moaning about self inflicted wounds.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479

I've got no issue with multiple threads talking about CU this and that.

But specifically , repeatedly ad naseum  , asking directly for $$ threads/posts is a different thing.

• TaldierTaldier Member CommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by Deadlyne
    Originally posted by Taldier

I am curious as well how the CU virus is being allowed to continue. Not to mention all the silly topics peeps made for every little thing that crosses their minds. Topics like the following wouldn't be a stretch of the truth.

"Should CU have blue sky?"

"Will players be able to wear hats?"

"If a tree falls in CU, does it make a sound?"

Obviously these are all made up but to me the majorty of these threads are nothing but spam and useless info and I too am getting sick of sifting through all this crap.

I am extremely confused by this concept that people need to "sift through" posts in a specific subforum for a game they arent interested in.  Why would you go to that subforum if you really have no interest?

Its like complaining about the things being shown on TV channels that you arent watching.

Everyone doesn't just come here to visit their specific subforum for whatever game they are playing.  Many of the people on this site enjoy speaking on all the game forums, general, the pub and every other forum on this entire site.  They like talking about MMORPGs in general.  So yes, they do have to sift through silly topics constantly in order to get to the good discussions.  I don't see why this is so hard for people to understand.  Even if they don't visit the thread they are still reading the topics to see if it is worth joining the conversation. 

Why on earth would anyone read any forum like this?  It honestly is just baffling to me... Your opinion is not required on every single topic ever.  Do you chip in your 2cents about live games that you've never played before too?

But whatever, I'll still hold firm with the analogy that its like complaining that other things show up on the TV listings channel other than the shows you want to watch.

• MentalAnarchyMentalAnarchy Member Posts: 14

Word of warning, be careful on this topic.  Bans happen, sometimes due to the silliest things.. and this topic seems to rate up near the gee dub two topic, which we don't talk about.. it's the first and second rule of not getting banned.

More on-topic, I agree that the hype has been over the top for a game that is in the concept stage.  That said, I wish everyone the best that are supporting and/or looking forward to this title.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I am curious as well how the CU virus is being allowed to continue. Not to mention all the silly topics peeps made for every little thing that crosses their minds. Topics like the following wouldn't be a stretch of the truth.

Obviously these are all made up but to me the majorty of these threads are nothing but spam and useless info and I too am getting sick of sifting through all this crap.

I am extremely confused by this concept that people need to "sift through" posts in a specific subforum for a game they arent interested in.  Why would you go to that subforum if you really have no interest?

Its like complaining about the things being shown on TV channels that you arent watching.

Everyone doesn't just come here to visit their specific subforum for whatever game they are playing.  Many of the people on this site enjoy speaking on all the game forums, general, the pub and every other forum on this entire site.  They like talking about MMORPGs in general.  So yes, they do have to sift through silly topics constantly in order to get to the good discussions.  I don't see why this is so hard for people to understand.  Even if they don't visit the thread they are still reading the topics to see if it is worth joining the conversation. 

Why on earth would anyone read any forum like this?  It honestly is just baffling to me... Your opinion is not required on every single topic ever.  Do you chip in your 2cents about live games that you've never played before too?

But whatever, I'll still hold firm with the analogy that its like complaining that other things show up on the TV listings channel other than the shows you want to watch.

I read the forums like that. I suppose it's because I enjoy it. I chip in about games I've never played every once in a while - especially if I want to find out more information or if there is an interesting discussion happening. Why would anyone limit themselves to a single forum?

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232

Because they enjoy MMORPGs and talking about them?  Because they dont require the games they like to fit a very specific structure and are pleased by many games?  Because they take pleasure in talking on forums about MMORPGs? Because they are bored?   Because everyone doesn't use the forums the exact same way that you do?  

Somehow you found your way over to the general forum to post in this topic.  But yet you are complaining about people complaining here.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

This discussion has been closed.