Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Relic System Confirmed.

tauraktaurak Member Posts: 174

In the interview on twitch tv today, Mark said there would be a relic system in CU.

He didn't give a ton of details about it, but he said that there might be some that are already there in the game, and there also will be some crafter created relics.

This is great information for me, and the crafter created relics makes it even more cool :)

Just wanted to post this because I know I've seen several people asking about a relic system, and for myself this is one of the major factors that made DAoC PvP what it is.

Maybe we'll see some updated information about how it will be implemented soon!

Comments

• LaeeshLaeesh Member UncommonPosts: 95
    sry but i think he said no to "relic system" ?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    he didn't really say Relic system.. he did say they would be fools not to bring something "like" that into the game in some form or another though.. the whole depths talk was more interesting part i thought

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by taurak

In the interview on twitch tv today, Mark said there would be a relic system in CU.

He didn't give a ton of details about it, but he said that there might be some that are already there in the game, and there also will be some crafter created relics.

Of course! Isn't that just business as usual with Mark Jacobs?

I think a lot of us are waiting to see if it changes from Foundational Principles Online to CU. I'm not holding my breath.

• TaldierTaldier Member CommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by topographic

I think a lot of us are waiting to see if it changes from Foundational Principles Online to CU. I'm not holding my breath.

These comments are just getting childish.

He's not trying to just be an front man and throw up a bunch of flashy advertisments to get your money.  He's trying to make a game.  Not just any game, but the game that the backers want him to make.

People want him to just shove some polished thing into their hands, but even if he had the funding to do that, the result would just be his vision alone.  He's not doing that.  He's communicating with the community about ideas.  We're going to be able to have a say on the backers forums and give our opinions and suggestions at early testing stages.

How many games have had this much communication from the developers over 2 years before they were released?  Can you even think of one?

• tauraktaurak Member Posts: 174

Yeah he didn't say specifically relic system being a carbon copy of the DAoC relic system, but he said there would be something similar.

Items of great power, some existing possibly, and absolutely some made by crafters, to fight over, similar to the relics in DAoC.

What this means to me is that there will be a system, much like the current DAoC relic system, some things to fight over bigger than just resources and land, in the game. Not that it will have the exact same system.

In my oppinion, this is a major element of the game, as i stated in my previous post. Having something to fight over bigger than just land, and just resources.

Relics.

• tenfoldedmighttenfoldedmight Member Posts: 54

Will there be relics?

1h 47m 0s in to this and you will find out exactly what his answer is to it

http://www.twitch.tv/oppositionpodcast/b/392290795

And i personally love it!

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Taldier

These comments are just getting childish.

He's not trying to just be an front man and throw up a bunch of flashy advertisments to get your money.  He's trying to make a game.  Not just any game, but the game that the backers want him to make.

People want him to just shove some polished thing into their hands, but even if he had the funding to do that, the result would just be his vision alone.  He's not doing that.  He's communicating with the community about ideas.  We're going to be able to have a say on the backers forums and give our opinions and suggestions at early testing stages.

How many games have had this much communication from the developers over 2 years before they were released?  Can you even think of one?

Well, it's a kick starter, how many mmorpgs funded by kickstarters have been in development for 2 years? 

Hes not communicating with players, he's communicating with founders, backers, those people who are paying for this game to be made. I imagine every mmorpg ever made had this level of communication with those who paid the bills.

But ignoring the trolling/fanboyisms MJ has made it clear he's doing things his way, there is really no way to argue this point except to debate wether this approach is right or wrong. It won't change anything, he seems determined to stick to his guns and while that's admirable, some people consider it a bit naive.

I like the idea of a developer who is taking comments and suggestions on board but at the same time is sticking rigidly to his vision for the kick starter and ultimately the game.....but that's just my opinion.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Crafter created relics? Sheesh. This is turning into Duck Age of Craftalot. Is there really such a strong interest in crafting among people who want to play an RvR game with no PvE that it justifies how much emphasis crafting is getting during this Kickstarter?

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• tauraktaurak Member Posts: 174

If MJ happens to see this thread, he shoudl really add just a tidbit of info about the "relic system" in CU on the kickstarter page.

It was a really popular question in the video, and I'm sure not everyone got to see it, or will watch the taped version.

For a lot of people this will be a really important piece of information, it might even cause some to become a backer :)

If MJ happens to see this thread, he shoudl really add just a tidbit of info about the "relic system" in CU on the kickstarter page.

It was a really popular question in the video, and I'm sure not everyone got to see it, or will watch the taped version.

For a lot of people this will be a really important piece of information, it might even cause some to become a backer :)

Yeah that and details about every other aspect of RvR. With 14 days left RvR is still pretty much a blank slate. Maybe that's intentional and he wants each player to assume RvR will be like that player's favorite RvR system and play style from other games. If he fills in the details, some people will be disappointed and not donate.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Crafter created relics? Sheesh. This is turning into Duck Age of Craftalot. Is there really such a strong interest in crafting among people who want to play an RvR game with no PvE that it justifies how much emphasis crafting is getting during this Kickstarter?

Yes, there is. There is a whole line of FPS games with no crafting for those that hate it being in an online game. Other than that, crafting was one of the founding features of MMOs and just because it's been treated like a red headed step-child since 2004 doesn't mean it's any less valuable form of entertainment. YOU may not like it, but plenty of others do as it adds one more content creating/driving feature to the game.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Yes, there is. There is a whole line of FPS games with no crafting for those that hate it being in an online game. Other than that, crafting was one of the founding features of MMOs and just because it's been treated like a red headed step-child since 2004 doesn't mean it's any less valuable form of entertainment. YOU may not like it, but plenty of others do as it adds one more content creating/driving feature to the game.

I don't doubt there are MMO players who really like crafting. I'm just unsure whether enough of those players also want to do crafting in a game like CU to make crafting worth the amount of attention CSE is putting on it.

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322

These comments are just getting childish.He's not trying to just be an front man and throw up a bunch of flashy advertisments to get your money.  He's trying to make a game.  Not just any game, but the game that the backers want him to make. People want him to just shove some polished thing into their hands, but even if he had the funding to do that, the result would just be his vision alone.  He's not doing that.  He's communicating with the community about ideas.  We're going to be able to have a say on the backers forums and give our opinions and suggestions at early testing stages.How many games have had this much communication from the developers over 2 years before they were released?  Can you even think of one?

Well childish or just plain hateful.:)

Mark has made it clear the Foundation Principles are set in stone, so you may be waiting a long time for them to change:) The reason they won't change is he is making a game for a niche audience and could careless about millions of subscribers.

• belatucadrosbelatucadros Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr

I don't doubt there are MMO players who really like crafting. I'm just unsure whether enough of those players also want to do crafting in a game like CU to make crafting worth the amount of attention CSE is putting on it.

I honestly think Mark just wants to do crafting 'right' after what happened with WAR. And I'm OK with that.

Housing/structure update comes first (which to be fair, shoudl touch on RVR a few times), then big RVR update near the end of the KS - I believe that's what was said

• binskkibinskki Member CommonPosts: 153
    Originally posted by tenfoldedmight

Will there be relics?

Thanks for the link, tenfolded...very helpful. :)

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by gylnne

These comments are just getting childish.He's not trying to just be an front man and throw up a bunch of flashy advertisments to get your money.  He's trying to make a game.  Not just any game, but the game that the backers want him to make. People want him to just shove some polished thing into their hands, but even if he had the funding to do that, the result would just be his vision alone.  He's not doing that.  He's communicating with the community about ideas.  We're going to be able to have a say on the backers forums and give our opinions and suggestions at early testing stages.How many games have had this much communication from the developers over 2 years before they were released?  Can you even think of one?

Well childish or just plain hateful.:)

Mark has made it clear the Foundation Principles are set in stone, so you may be waiting a long time for them to change:) The reason they won't change is he is making a game for a niche audience and could careless about millions of subscribers.

Therein lies the problem with an audience too niche. They may not be able to come up with the 2 million so they can live in their own little private gated MMO community.

• tenfoldedmighttenfoldedmight Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by binskki
    Originally posted by tenfoldedmight

Will there be relics?

Thanks for the link, tenfolded...very helpful. :)

Yeah np man, took a bit of time to find but it was frustrating to see people here missinterp what he said :)

• HeartsparkHeartspark Member Posts: 69

The whole "player driven world" sounds all well and good, the problem with it is pretty obvious, you can't force people to want to craft in a rvr game, most people just want to rvr and not craft.   If the game has to have crafters to make rvr work, it won't work in gameplay persepective. 

While I agree about not having PvE content, it did provide one things that a player driven maket did not, unlimied armor/weapons that worked reasonably well in rvr.  But if players have to wait for a crafter to log in so they can do something in rvr that is limiting them, they will just log out.

I do agree that they don't have really a lot of info about the game out, extended goals is nice and all, but the basics of the game is just that.  We know its rvr, with player houses, crafting, etc.  But we don't actually know how these work in unison.  Going around taking all the towers/keeps/relics, game over?  You can do that in a modern game called planetside 2, and its BORING in long term play.

The question is what drives a player to keep wanting to log back on?  Dark age of camelot players wanted to get that last ding, defend relics, get that dungeon raided for that one weapon drop (pve), etc.  People remember epic keep fights in daoc not because they was a fight, it was a meaningfull fight to the group you was with, not simply "we lost a keep, we suck", it was "We defended a keep and that was epic!"

Even with content updates for the game, how do you do that?  You can't simply add more game world for a niche market game, it has to be meaningful content.

Just so much in the air right now is basicly what i'm saying. :D  My $250 pledge remains though.

Heartspark: Animist rr12, bors, Lone Enforcer, Retired

Dranzerk: Berzerker (kay) retired
    Dhei: Spiritmaster (Kay) retired
    Goblinking : Hunter (Kay) retired
    Moongoose: Shadowblade (Kay) retired