Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You filthy peasant!!

eye_meye_m Notta Chance, ABPosts: 3,313Member Uncommon

So I've seen different people say how they are tired of everybody being the hero and so on. So I ask " How would you enjoy playing a game where you weren't the hero at all. Rather, you were a peasant or even a slave?"

To expand on the idea somewhat, let's say that there is a social structure within the game.  People start out having to do whatever their superior demands (basic quest system)  They profit very little from duties of course and save their pennies to purchase upgrades that can increase how much they earn.  Larger packs to carry more,  or better tools,  or even better weapons.  NPC's may or may not spit on them, and there is a general background noise of people despising them.

Once they manage to accumulate a high enough standard of living, the NPC's start to treat them more fairly, and the background noise becomes a bit kinder. The quests and tasks posed before them are improved.

At each predefined level of wealth, the atmosphere changes, the NPC's react differently, and the quest change appropriately.

You could do a similar model using slavery, where the goal was to pay off your "debt" and purchase your freedom.

Eventually of course, a person could end up being the hero, and fight villians or dragons but only after a good period of time and effort.

The last point to think about, is should there be a chance to continue beyond the one side of the scale, and be able to hire peasants or own slaves? (PC)

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 14,247Member Rare

Doesn't seem it would have much appeal. I think you kinda went the other extreme, completely missing the middle ground - a meaningful independent in the game world. 

In MMOs like UO, Puzzle Pirates and EVE you are not the hero of the world/universe but rather an independent agent striking out on your own. Actions and decisions don't have to be epic or world-saving, just meaningful in the particular context they are looking for. That criteria is different depending on the player, which is why the MMOs listed as well as others of their kind have a wide range of ways a player can affect their environment or contribute to the game world. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• eye_meye_m Notta Chance, ABPosts: 3,313Member Uncommon
    absolutely I went to the other extreme, but thats the joy of a curiosity. It's better to push it farther than one might expect it to go.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 16,597Member Epic

It's an interesting idea, though as Loktofeit said, even if people aren't terribly keen on the game trying to make them and everyone else into the sole champion and savior of the entire universe, it doesn't follow that they want to be spit on and treated like dirt.  An occasional NPC who is a complete jerk can be amusing (Da Vinci from Uncharted Waters Online comes to mind), but an entire game of that would get tiring.

Though I'd argue that even in standard MMORPGs where NPCs talk to you as some unique and special hero, none of them act like they really believe it.  An NPC says that you need to slay some terrible foe to save the world, you do so, and before you're even out of earshot, he's offering the same quest to someone else saying that you failed to save the world because the mob respawned, and so he needs someone else.

The real heroes in most MMORPGs are the NPCs.  Far more people know who Magni Bronzebeard or Logan Thackeray are than any particular player for his in-game deeds.  Even a lowly quest giver who tries to sound desperate for help can guide many thousands of players to do what he wishes and has far more impact on the game than you'll ever have.  We players are just bit players in the story who don't have much effect on things.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 14,247Member Rare
    Originally posted by Quizzical

The real heroes in most MMORPGs are the NPCs.  Far more people know who Magni Bronzebeard or Logan Thackeray are than any particular player for his in-game deeds.  Even a lowly quest giver who tries to sound desperate for help can guide many thousands of players to do what he wishes and has far more impact on the game than you'll ever have.  We players are just bit players in the story who don't have much effect on things.

That whiny old Mankrik is more famous than most players ever will be. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• mmoskimmoski plymouthPosts: 282Member
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Im sorry !  I've never heard of  this Mankrik guy, but i have heard of Leeroy Jenkins, and he seems to have 34 million views on some youtube video...

But the to the OP, that's quite different take on initial growth in a game. One thing I would like to see in MMORPG games is a different kind of starter area, relating to the primary growth and background of your character, not just some pick and choose background information, but backgrounds that you gain while playing, like say you start the game as a teenager and have a growth period of say a week to adult hood in a starter environment, and the actions you carry out define aspects of your character for the rest of the game.

• bugmenobugmeno Iowa, IAPosts: 85Member
    in Secretworld you are a nobody and the NPC often treat you like that. You are some random member of your faction. It's cool I like it, also sick of the "one and only hero" concept and hundreds of other heros running around.

• killion81killion81 A City, MIPosts: 995Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by mmoski
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Im sorry !  I've never heard of  this Mankrik guy, but i have heard of Leeroy Jenkins, and he seems to have 34 million views on some youtube video...

But the to the OP, that's quite different take on initial growth in a game. One thing I would like to see in MMORPG games is a different kind of starter area, relating to the primary growth and background of your character, not just some pick and choose background information, but backgrounds that you gain while playing, like say you start the game as a teenager and have a growth period of say a week to adult hood in a starter environment, and the actions you carry out define aspects of your character for the rest of the game.

But where's Mankrik's wife?!?!

• MaelwyddMaelwydd CrawleyPosts: 1,123Member

There was a table top RPG I played many years ago with an interesting set-up. Basically you controlled 3 characters. Your main character was a mage (game was magic heavy), then you had their man at arms (basic physical combat) and also a serf/slave type that could do all sorts of other stuff like crafts etc..

The basic idea was that you could choose which of the 3 characters to play at any time depending on what you wanted to activly do and on other factors like perhaps your mage is studying a spell that will take 2 weeks to prepare. I have always thought this was a good idea for an MMO, the ability to control multiple characters each with various skills or abilities.

I guess my point is, I think such an idea would work given the right enviroment and design.