Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

day 2 still DOWNLOADING ???

lovebuglovebug Member UncommonPosts: 260
half way there on a 20mb a sec am i missing something ??

Comments

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by lovebug
    half way there on a 20mb a sec am i missing something ??

I'm 1,030 MB out of 6574 and have only been downloading an hour and a half so I don't know.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Try this:  https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?363289-How-to-download-using-torrents-in-less-than-an-hour

Well hopefully this is a good sign as to the new players to the community, guy posted this guide with his first post...

Right now I'm downloading at almost 1.5MB/S. I started off downloading at 2kb/s. How did I do this?

It's how torrenting works fellas. Originally, I had my upload allocation (aka seeding) set to zero. I'm a greedy bastard I know . Torrenting works in a way where the focal point is sharing. If you don't upload any, more than likely most connections will block you or allocate you an extremely small amount of bandwidth because you are allocating nothing to them. It's a ratio that most of the torrent programs calculate to setup the highest yielding connections.

After reading the above paragraph you should not go set your upload cap to unlimited. This would be as detrimental as setting it to zero. What you need to do is figure out what your max upload speed is. You can do this at speedtest.net. Once you run it and find your max upload speed, take 80% of that and that should be your uploading speed cap. Most of these programs use kilobytes instead of megabytes, so change your settings in speedtest to show results KB (its on the top right).

I've also seen a lot of people saying to set your connections to 1,000. If you're not seeding any, doing this won't help. Especially because there are only 408 active nodes within this torrent. Instead use the calculator below (which is described in more detail in the guide). This calculator will have you pop in your results from speedtest and then it will determine your max upload speed cap (which is computed as 80% of the result) and more importantly the maximum number of connections you should use. While you would think downloading from 1,000 people would be a good thing, your torrenting program (if it's worth its salt) will make more efficient connections for both uploading and downloading using the finite number the calculator provides.

Lastly, be sure to open a port on your router for your torrent program. If you've got it set up pointing to a closed port, a great deal of connections will not be able to link with you. For speed you should use both TCP/UPNP, but definitely be sure that after you finish downloading you turn the feature off on your router. It leaves somewhat of a gaping hole in your firewall.

If you were curious, my results from the calculator were:
    Upload Cap Speed: 154 kb/s
    Max # of Connections: 141

Helpful Links--

SpeedTest:
    http://www.speedtest.net/

Calculator for Max Upload Speed/Connections:
    http://infinite-source.de/az/az-calc.html (be sure to run speedtest first).

Tixati Optimizing Guide:
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...xati-speed.htm

The guide basically goes over what I'm talking about here in detail and how to set up a torrenting program called Tixati. Tixati is by far one of the best torrenting programs as it has no spyware, malware, addons, or other malicious shite that comes packaged into most torrent programs. Once you've set all that up, I guarantee your download speed will increase dramatically.

As an aside, 408 active nodes for a download of a game of this magnitude is piss poor. Help us and help yourself by seeding. You'll download faster and I'll be able to kill you sooner in game .

Hope this helps,
    Grija