Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just accept it.This is the best ip that will make a great mmo

RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

The ip im talking about Is MaGic The Gathering

You heard it right.

The MTG universe is the most rich universe yet and the art is the best ive seen in any game yet.

If it ever becomes an mmo and implemented right with great gameplay as well it can become the best game ever created.

Ps:I really like the mature art they are using in their cards.

Wish those gorgeous pieces of art become alive

Comments

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    The best IP to use in an MMO is an original IP. Period.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

And it has a ready made cash shop, too!

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    The best IP to use in an MMO is an original IP. [...]

+1

We dont need any extern stuff.

Just make something own. Its not THAT hard.

• mechtech256mechtech256 Member UncommonPosts: 206

One word proves you wrong.

Pokemon.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Agreed 110%, in todays MMO age one thing is for certian, if an MMO is made with a popular IP then it is a cash grab. Attempt because without the IP no one would buy the game.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

and we have a new winner of the

MOST OBJECTIVE POST EVER!!! award

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

Originally posted by mechtech256

One word proves you wrong.

Pokemon.

Just as bad as MTG in terms of cash-shop possibilities: http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6042492/pokemon-gotta-buy-em-all , original IPs for MMO's or gtfo (if you look there's only one succesful game based on a non-original IP and a few which are inspired from other IPs).

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by RelGn

You heard it right.

The MTG universe is the most rich universe yet and the art is the best ive seen in any game yet.

If it ever becomes an mmo and implemented right with great gameplay as well it can become the best game ever created.

There are quite a few ip's out there with everyhting you describe, that would make a great MMO.  Have you ever heard of the Wheel of Time series?  By Robert Jordan?  That is one example of an IP that is incredibly flushed out and pre-packed with all manner of conflict, in a giant world.

MTG to me seems, well like a good card game and that is about it.  I grant I have only ever given it half a thought, so I could easily be wrong, but to me the MMO version would be very one dimensional.  You walk around looking for other people to battle with your poke-freaks?  yeah, great, that was fun for 5 minutes. Maybe it would be a good e-sport?  hit up MLG those doucheb...I mean guys will take a whak at making anything work.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494
    Originally posted by Hatefull

You heard it right.

There are quite a few ip's out there with everyhting you describe, that would make a great MMO.  Have you ever heard of the Wheel of Time series?  By Robert Jordan?  That is one example of an IP that is incredibly flushed out and pre-packed with all manner of conflict, in a giant world.

MTG to me seems, well like a good card game and that is about it.  I grant I have only ever given it half a thought, so I could easily be wrong, but to me the MMO version would be very one dimensional.  You walk around looking for other people to battle with your poke-freaks?  yeah, great, that was fun for 5 minutes. Maybe it would be a good e-sport?  hit up MLG those doucheb...I mean guys will take a whak at making anything work.

Im not talking about walking to battle others with your cards.

Im talking about an mmo as we all know it create your characters classes etc but it uses the mtg universe.

With a bit of imagination there is always room to expand the lore so there can exist mortal heroes other than planeswalkers etc.

Im talking about using the lore and the art and the universe in a completly new setting which does not have to do with cards.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

I agree own stuff is better.

That way there is no fanbase to keep happy.

• hitsuji182hitsuji182 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    As someone mentioned already - Pokemon. My MMO dream...
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Im not talking about walking to battle others with your cards.Im talking about an mmo as we all know it create your characters classes etc but it uses the mtg universe.With a bit of imagination there is always room to expand the lore so there can exist mortal heroes other than planeswalkers etc.Im talking about using the lore and the art and the universe in a completly new setting which does not have to do with cards.
    So kind of like the old M:tG computer game? It's been a long time since I played it, but there your Wizard traveled around the land of Shalidor collecting cards and fighting with their decks.

Do you remember that game at all? It was way back in 1997 and made by good old MicroProse :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Hustler the role-playing game.

Next gen group finder

Next gen gear inspect

Next gen team missions

Next gen solo play

Hustler the RPG > mystic gathering

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

WAR 40K is probably the best IP in the world to make a MMO

the problem is that to make it just right , it would take...ummmm....

- $300m to $400m

- a company as large as Blizzard, and still they would have to outsource work

- 6 to 9 years of hard work

- using super server technology that allowed thousands upon thousands of players playing simultaneously

and if someone tried to cheap on it, cut corners everywhere, reduce content to make it more business-manageable and make an average WoW-like MMO with it like Dark Millenium was shaping up to be, it would flop

so there it is, the best possible IP you could ever have, but it will NEVER come to fruition because the risks are unsurmountable, the amount of work and money to fund it are beyond insane, the technology required to make it good still doesnt exists, and there's no way it would work without all of the above.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

This.

Do people even still play magic?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Malcanis

Do people even still play magic?

I don't know whether somebody should be offended by that, but yes, people play MTG still. The Gatecrash set was released not too long ago. A couple of months ago infact afaik.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by Sagasaint

WAR 40K is probably the best IP in the world to make a MMO

the problem is that to make it just right , it would take...ummmm....

- $300m to $400m

- a company as large as Blizzard, and still they would have to outsource work

- 6 to 9 years of hard work

- using super server technology that allowed thousands upon thousands of players playing simultaneously

and if someone tried to cheap on it, cut corners everywhere, reduce content to make it more business-manageable and make an average WoW-like MMO with it like Dark Millenium was shaping up to be, it would flop

so there it is, the best possible IP you could ever have, but it will NEVER come to fruition because the risks are unsurmountable, the amount of work and money to fund it are beyond insane, the technology required to make it good still doesnt exists, and there's no way it would work without all of the above.

Warhammer 40.000 is too big and too vast in scale to reproduce within an MMO to any great detail without a decade's worth of work...for christ sake you've got several imperial guard regiments alone to model before you even consider everything else (Catachan, Vostroyan, Death Korps, Cadian to name just some of the more famous and unconventional ones), the most famous Space Marine Chapters number in the dozens (Black Templars, Blood Ravens, Blood Angels, Space Sm....Ultramarines, Iron Hands, Grey Knights,etc), Chaos Space Marines also have a dozen Legions not counting recent defector chapters, warbands, etc, then you get to the Eldar,the Orks, the Tau, the new version of the Necrons, the Dark Eldar,  The Legion of the Damned, The Adeptus Sororitas, etc. Then you get to the scale of things... even if you limit your game to one solar system (a la Soulstorm) you have ground combat, aerial combat, orbital combat, interplanetary combat, combat on orbitals, ship boarding actions. And when this is all done and good you have one major issue: A space marine player will be the strongest, most well equiped of the non-demonic/chaos aligned humanoids with powah armoured nobs and tau battlesuits coming in right behind them, how the blood hell do you balance that with a guardsman or hell lets be generous and say stormtrooper ? you basically have a rapid fire laser cigar lighter vs RPG machineguns or plasma chain guns.

Warhammer 40k no matter how much I love it would never be a good MMO without ruining what makes Warhammer 40k special.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Dont want a known IP want a original mmo on the wild west around 1850.

I want a Sandbox openworld western mmo ala skyrim gameoworld with total freedom, but more sandbox like build a settlement-fort or indian village.

Trainrobbers-stagecoach-settlers-cowboys-indians-ranches-wells fargo-billy the kid-appachys-sioux-chayyene indians ext.

Originally posted by GroovyFlower

Dont want a known IP want a original mmo on the wild west around 1850.

I want a Sandbox openworld western mmo ala skyrim gameoworld with total freedom, but more sandbox like build a settlement-fort or indian village.

Trainrobbers-stagecoach-settlers-cowboys-indians-ranches-wells fargo-billy the kid-appachys-sioux-chayyene indians ext.

Sorry but the genocide of a race of people (the indians) makes that era a bit.. taboo, like having an MMO based on World War 2 which has  the whole conflict including the Holocaust (why do you think you don't really see many/any references to the Holocaust visually within video games set in the second World War?).

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    There is no "best" IP. It is not all about IPs. Design, implementaiton, polish can make or break a game.
  • Yyrkoon_PoMYyrkoon_PoM Member Posts: 150

I am going to go out on a limb and say Dr. Who would make a very interesting setting for a MMO.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    There is no "best" IP. It is not all about IPs. Design, implementaiton, polish can make or break a game.

This. I think the MMOs based on the SW IP prove you to be correct.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

The ip im talking about Is MaGic The GatheringYou heard it right.The MTG universe is the most rich universe yet and the art is the best ive seen in any game yet.If it ever becomes an mmo and implemented right with great gameplay as well it can become the best game ever created.Ps:I really like the mature art they are using in their cards.Wish those gorgeous pieces of art become alive

I think you are onto something. It has a huge built-in fanbase, just like Warcraft did. Done right, a MTG MMO could approach WoW's success. I can't imagine any other IP with this potential.

Although, I don't know if MTG is as hot as it was ten years ago.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

Give me Shadowrun, and I will squeal like a schoolgirl

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I am wanting to see an Underworld MMO.