Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: Patch Notes Leaked by Tester Then Shared by Carbine

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A current, though probably now former, WildStar beta tester opted to leak patch notes for the game that is currently in its closed beta phase. As a result, Carbine Studios has opted to share the patch notes with their core and faithful followers. While this won't be an "every time" thing, it's a great boon to all of us this time!

Leaks are a challenge for every game. Here's how it generally works: You identify people who are excited about your game, and map that interest to their machine's ability to play that game. Then you invite them into your house to provide critical feedback on your development team's hard work.

This relationship is governed by a few things, not the least of which is an NDA, or Non-Disclosure Agreement. In our case, It's a legal agreement that is digitally signed by the chosen beta tester. It basically states that by signing the agreement, the tester promises not to share anything they learn about the WildStar beta with the public.

Sure, the NDA is an important document. It is a legal arrangement between us, and our testers. But there's a more important contract we need to discuss: the social contract we have with our testing community. This is an agreement founded on trust and a genuine excitement to invite people that aren't beholden to a Carbine paycheck to join us in our efforts in making the best MMO possible. 

Read the rest of the letter and the patch notes themselves on the WildStar site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Carbine studios,  staying classy for sure!
  • YoofaloofYoofaloof Member UncommonPosts: 217

I'm looking forward to this game.

I'm not in the beta so these patch notes mean absolutely nothing to me reading through them.This won't spoil my anticipation as a YouTube walkthrough video would have done though, which I think do more damage.

I think that Carbine shouldn't have printed them though in my opinion, it just gives the griefer, for that is what he is or will become, more renown.

Would I want to play alongside this untrustworthy fool. Alas no.

NDA's should be followed and respected.

• blutigfaustblutigfaust Member UncommonPosts: 129
     While the game looks to be like it'l be good gameplay...I can't get past the cartoon-ish  wow-ish graphics.  Yeah, I know I'm gonna take alot of flak over the comment, but hey, to each his own...right.

Current games playing: MechWarrior Online
    Games being watched:  Project Genom
    Favorite played games: SWG, RomaVictor, and Xsyon

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

A great way to handle the situation.  They didn't name the people who leaked, so they were above that pettiness as well.

I like this studio more now, and the patch notes had a ton of meat to them.

• TokenaruTokenaru Member Posts: 58
    Man look at those sexy patch notes, blizzard should take some pen and paper and take notes lol.
  • LeviathonlxLeviathonlx Member Posts: 135
    Originally posted by Tokenaru
    Man look at those sexy patch notes, blizzard should take some pen and paper and take notes lol.

It's a new unreleased game. It's to be expected it'd have 'large' notes.

• Zap-RoboZap-Robo Member UncommonPosts: 233

You might also want to head over to WildStar Central where EP Jeremy Gaffney is answering questions about the patch notes the community has!

--
    Admin @ http://wildstar-central.com/
    ZapRobo (PlanetSide 2) | Zap-Robo (The Secret World)
    @Master Zaprobo (City of Heroes) | Zaphod@Zap-Robo (Star Trek Online)

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Aye had already read those. Cool they decided to release them themselves too though.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

Too bad I'm not really more interested in this game than I am.  Smells too much like WoW.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Originally posted by red_cruiser

Too bad I'm not really more interested in this game than I am.  Smells too much like WoW.

Bias is bias.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Too many covenient leakages these days. First ESO and now this. Is this new way to get some attention?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Originally posted by Zap-Robo

You might also want to head over to WildStar Central where EP Jeremy Gaffney is answering questions about the patch notes the community has!

Thanks Zap! Once more we are in your debt, may the Elden bless your giant head and tiny body.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by 4bsolute
    Originally posted by red_cruiser

Bias is bias.

I'd say more like "ignorance is ignorance". I hope one day people who use comments like that come to realize just how stupid it is to say such a thing, directing attention to one game instead of just realizing "oh, I'm thinking of what an entire genre of MMos did, even before a game a blindly call out as if it was original".

• epicepcotepicepcot Member Posts: 2

This just makes me want this more just based on the class of the studio

• John_GrimmJohn_Grimm Member UncommonPosts: 14

Well done to the Carbine team, this was handled greate and Jeremy's answeres on http://wildstar-central.com/ have been greate.

Intrest in this game has gone up. Looking forward to it now.

Steel and Iron guard me well,
    or else i'm doomed and damned
    to Hell!

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Too many covenient leakages these days. First ESO and now this. Is this new way to get some attention?

Doubtful. Don't confuse the antics of the Orcs back in Mordor on the Potomac, with the rest of the world.  I suspect this is just another example of someone who doesn't care about their agreement, when they signed the NDA.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

I too like Carbine's attitude. I am amused by the "this is too much like WOW for me". After this episode my opinion of Carbine is  almost to the level of Blizzard just before WOW was released - top notch. Carbine is going to build a super game. From what I understand there are several former WOW developers on Carbine's staff. Maybe that is where the "classy" went :)

The notes were the meat for me. You can see that they realize that there is a lot of stuff that they have to put in the game just to "keep up with the Jones". Again, just like Blizzard and WOW, Carbine realizes that they don't have to re-invent the wheel, just make it better.  REALLY looking forward to this game.