Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

If the current KS fails, would you fund a 2nd KS (lower goal)?

DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,572Member Uncommon

Please use the poll below, feel free to elaborate on your answers.

I am in the maybe category, depending on how much progress they make on alpha.

Comments

• meddyckmeddyck Athens, GAPosts: 1,140Member Uncommon

I vote maybe. If this one fails, I would want to see more developer commitment to the project before I would consider funding a second one. IOW put your money where your mouth is, Mark. If you think this is a good, viable idea (which I do), start working on it. When you have done enough work to show us something concrete and are at the end of your self-funding, then come back and do a Kickstarter to raise the remaining funds and finish the game.

I don't see any chance that a 2nd Kickstarter will happen though. Either this one will fund or it will fall hundreds of thousands of dollars short which will be a large enough gap that Mark has promised he wouldn't try it again.

Camelot Unchained Backer
    DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

• BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member
    I'll chuck them a lot more forsure, got some disposable income... I'll just cut back for a day or two on the blow and hookers. ;)

• JayarisJayaris InvercargillPosts: 308Member

I voted no.

If Mark funded the development of an Alpha build etc. and set-up another Kickstarter I would back more.

Or, if they wanted to do what Pathfinder Online did and take 300,000 to make a test demo I might back that.

But, I wouldn't back the exact same idea with a goal set to 1.5 million.

Hi

• BenediktBenedikt PraguePosts: 1,406Member Uncommon
    voted no, and i honestly hope that if this KS fails (and i still hope it will not, but ...), MJ says to himself "screw them, if they are not willing to support a game they were crying for for so long, they are not worth the effort" and goes create different type of games.
  • LawtoweenLawtoween Houston, TXPosts: 103Member
    I voted no because I don't want an unfinished game.  As it is, we need some amount more than $2 mil to see The Depths in the game (at least at launch).  I want to see this game go live, but not a watered down "We did what we could with the money we had" version.  In 2016 I don't want to be thinking, "If only they had gotten that additional $500k."
  • TaldierTaldier Camp Hill, PAPosts: 235Member

There isnt going to be a second KS.

If we as a community cant even build enough support to make this one work, we can hardly expect MJ to invest more hundreds of thousands of dollars into continuing development.

• tleartlear Toronto, ONPosts: 142Member
    Originally posted by Benedikt
    voted no, and i honestly hope that if this KS fails (and i still hope it will not, but ...), MJ says to himself "screw them, if they are not willing to support a game they were crying for for so long, they are not worth the effort" and goes create different type of games.

Exactly. I have not played an MMO since Aion release and probably will not play another again

• MkilbrideMkilbride Hooksett, NHPosts: 637Member Uncommon

MJ himself said that is the KS fails, that he won't put it back up or try to get additional backers.

This is our chance to show the gaming world we want a game like this.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• UlorikUlorik TorrancePosts: 172Member Uncommon
    If KS fails then there won't be additional funding because the demand isn't there, hence no second KS.
  • SorninSornin Richmond, BCPosts: 1,133Member

This is Camelot Unchained's one and only shot at getting the funds necessary to be developed. CSE set the minimum they need at $2M from us to make it work, so asking for less would be silly. I would not pledge to a campaign asking for less than they initially said they needed, as those funds would not be useful. I want to see it done right or not at all; I have enough half-finished MMORPGs to play if I want to.

Plus, the community is simply not going to be able to put in the effort they have put in a second time. Excitement is high, people are working hard to help CSE create awareness, but I do not think most would be willing to do it again.

Anyway, I genuinely hope it funds and have pledged a very large sum for my part. But, it ultimately rests on what their target market of gamers wants to see. Right now, people are not demonstrating in sufficient numbers they want to see this game made. We will see if CSE can change that around with more updates. This week promises to have some good ones!

• botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member
    MJ is saying if he doesn't get funding it is the communities fault? No, it is his for not having the work done to actually show something to get the funding. He could have used his own money to develop it instead of waiting.

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

@Bot

Don't be an idiot. This is a KICKSTARTER.

Torment only had a 2.5D image of a guy walking back and forth and a talking head, and they broke 4M. It's supposed to kickstart a game.

To many KS's develop their game almost entirely, then us KS at the end. It's obscene and twisting the purpose of KS, and alot of people are now "used to" KS with in-game footage, when most don't have it.

• waynejr2waynejr2 West Toluca Lake, CAPosts: 4,481Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

@Bot

Don't be an idiot. This is a KICKSTARTER.

Torment only had a 2.5D image of a guy walking back and forth and a talking head, and they broke 4M. It's supposed to kickstart a game.

To many KS's develop their game almost entirely, then us KS at the end. It's obscene and twisting the purpose of KS, and alot of people are now "used to" KS with in-game footage, when most don't have it.

Looks like they did a very good job.  Lots of extra goals too!

• TaldierTaldier Camp Hill, PAPosts: 235Member
    Originally posted by botrytis
    MJ is saying if he doesn't get funding it is the communities fault? No, it is his for not having the work done to actually show something to get the funding. He could have used his own money to develop it instead of waiting.

He is using his own money.  Who do you think is paying for all those programmers and designers?  Do you think people like Andrew Meggs are walking away from their highly profitable jobs just to do charity work?

The insane thing is to expect MJ to spend ALL of his money before you'll even consider looking at his ideas.

You arent preordering a game from some big publisher.  You are showing support for an idea.

He cant get to the stages of development you want him to without that support unless he goes back to some big investor, which is the last thing you should want to happen to yet another game.

You cant get support inside the industry for any MMO that isnt a crappy WoW clone.  And they will continue to believe there is no demand for such a thing unless we as consumers prove otherwise.

• tauraktaurak rock cave, WVPosts: 174Member

If the first kickstarter failed, hell yeah I'd back it again.

I'm already trying to think of a way I can increase my pledge a lot.

This would be the first good game of the mullenium.

• botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member
    Originally posted by Taldier
    Originally posted by botrytis

He is using his own money.  Who do you think is paying for all those programmers and designers?  Do you think people like Andrew Meggs are walking away from their highly profitable jobs just to do charity work?

The insane thing is to expect MJ to spend ALL of his money before you'll even consider looking at his ideas.

You arent preordering a game from some big publisher.  You are showing support for an idea.

He cant get to the stages of development you want him to without that support unless he goes back to some big investor, which is the last thing you should want to happen to yet another game.

You cant get support inside the industry for any MMO that isnt a crappy WoW clone.  And they will continue to believe there is no demand for such a thing unless we as consumers prove otherwise.

There are many ways to get this funded. I think Kickstarter is the realm of last resort. Maybe he couldn't get funding any other way and some investors said they would put in onl if others put in. That makes sense to me.

If the game actually has an Alpha game play that people could see, that would be something to show for an idea. Even when scientist write for grants, from the government, one cannot just get them funded with ideas. You need some data or proof - where is it? The demos showed mean nothing - NPCS standing around.....

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148 1, NJPosts: 6,690Member
    No because the game has a low amount of backers as it is. No way it would pass a second time just because the funding goal is much lower.

This is Kickstarter. I can't make it any clearer. It's for getting an idea off the ground.

Richard Garriot and various other famous developers are using it - realm of last resort? No, they chose ot. They want freedom to make a game they want to make.

• VorthanionVorthanion Laguna Vista, TXPosts: 2,121Member Uncommon
    Not my kind of game, but I wish him the best of luck.  Every niche deserves to have a game to call home.

• lolunaticlolunatic Mesa, AZPosts: 108Member

MMO kickstarting is such a scam lol. you need RESOURCES to make an mmo, puting together a team of nobody devs and (i have no clue how much they want) I'm geussing 2 or 4 mill is what hes asking, but even that WONT make you an mmo. MMO are the HARDEST games to make.

Look at the experienced RPG developer BIOWARE still struggling to get SWTOR to have a place in the mmo world, so far the only thing it has going for it is the Star Wars theme and free2play, everything else it is pretty much beat, except maybe on story, which youll skip after getting to 50 once, with the exception of the class stories.

The only thing Mark's team has done is develop plants v zombie app. L:OL. Why would anyone trust this man with their money after how he managed DoAC and WAR.

I vote no.

• tinuelletinuelle bergenPosts: 287Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    No because the game has a low amount of backers as it is.

It is a test of wether the market for the idea of a PvP/RvR game exists. 

The low backer number is worrying for those that enjoy such games.

I think investors might take note of this for future game development. As an investor I would shy away from Any MMORPG both pvp and pve. Much less risk and greater potential for earnings on small mobile games with inapp purchases. All the failed MMOs show that the risk and cost for such games too be produced are horrible.

Only idiots create a game the market doesnt want. So it will be fun too see if the market wants it or not.

• augustgraceaugustgrace Cottonwood, CAPosts: 624Member Uncommon

If MJ came back with something more concrete than, "I maybe, sorta want to make a game.  Like DAoC, but completely different, but only if other people pony up the money first." Then, and only then, would I consider giving this guy my money.

Player- So how will the game play?

MJ- Meh, we'll sort that out later

Player- ....okay.  What classes will be in at launch?

MJ- Later, money first.  Give me money....

Player- uh...this isn't going well.  Do you have a demo, or at least a strong portfolio of concept art?

MJ- *sigh*  I guess I could have one of the interns whip something up.  But really, gives me all your moneys....

Then there is the comment in one of the blogs, that part of the money will go to hiring a story writer, so he can go back to his dayjob.  Doesn't want to be bothered with coming up with a solid concept, isn't interested in writing the story, hit and miss record= show me somthing solid before asking for money.

• tinuelletinuelle bergenPosts: 287Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by augustgrace

show me somthing solid before asking for money.

Dude, this is a kickstarter.

I really dont think you are in the targetgroup for this kickstarter. Kickstarters are not solid. You seem more like a pre-order, demo or review after release player. It is all fine, but a kickstarter doesnt fit your needs for information or workedthrough product.

I dont think Any kickstarter project might be for you. Better check out a store.

Yeah, people aren't understanding what a Kickstarter is, or what crowd-funding is.

It's the most frustrating thing really. If they didn't like the idea or concept, that'd be fine, but complaining about not having any footage of the game to show...when the whole point of the KS is raise money to do so?

• BenediktBenedikt PraguePosts: 1,406Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by lolunatic

MMO kickstarting is such a scam lol. you need RESOURCES to make an mmo, puting together a team of nobody devs and (i have no clue how much they want) I'm geussing 2 or 4 mill is what hes asking, but even that WONT make you an mmo. MMO are the HARDEST games to make.

Look at the experienced RPG developer BIOWARE still struggling to get SWTOR to have a place in the mmo world, so far the only thing it has going for it is the Star Wars theme and free2play, everything else it is pretty much beat, except maybe on story, which youll skip after getting to 50 once, with the exception of the class stories.

The only thing Mark's team has done is develop plants v zombie app. L:OL. Why would anyone trust this man with their money after how he managed DoAC and WAR.

I vote no.

"MMO kickstarting is such a scam lol. you need RESOURCES to make an mmo, puting together a team of nobody devs and (i have no clue how much they want) I'm geussing 2 or 4 mill is what hes asking, but even that WONT make you an mmo. MMO are the HARDEST games to make."

wow, you know absolutely nothing about the game, team or even their KS (didnt even bothered to check how much money they ask for) and still came to vote in this thread? thats says a lot

Mark Jacobs already succesfully launched (as a lead designer) 2 mmorpgs, not to mention a lot of single player games

"noname" dev Andrew Meggs was a lead programmer on VtM:Bloodlines and also worked on e.g. Warhammer Online