Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should game developers post banned players character names?

124»

Comments

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by rojo6934

Yes!!.  Post character names and account name of every cheater ....

With that said, If they post (and ban) someone inocent by mistake they have to apologize publicly and reward that player.

That's a good idea actually.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• ClaudeSuamOramClaudeSuamOram Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Xthos

I would just like it if they actually got rid of people that cheated, too often it seems like they do not want to lose the money from the individual and do nothing, atleast until they do something over the top.

Nothing kills my interest in a game, like people cheating/hacking and duping all over the place.

*See Spec Ops: The Line*

That game is RAMPANT with aim botters, speed hackers, etc. They have no anit-chea programming nor seem to care. Sad too because the game is pretty good in multi-player....EXCEPT the hackers. Which oddly are almost entirely comprised of Russians and/or German players.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by observer
    Originally posted by -Zeno-
    Should game developers shame banned players by publicly posting their names?

No. There's no reason for shaming people that make errors in judgement, especially over a video game.  That's ridiculous.

Errors in judgement?You have to purposely think this out,one ,do  iwant  to cheat, YES,TWO do i realize this screws other gamers over...YES i do.Then you have to seek it out and it is not that easy to first find one and then to trust the purchase of such bot.

It is also NOT about a simple video game,you are in essence STEALING money from the dewveloper and players,if your cheating actions cause players to quit.

I was actually a player who quit FFXI becuase i was fed up with the RMT cheating and ruining the entire game economy.

I  can also tell you that Epic games a year ago issued a lawyers document to a said Aimbot seller and he was forced to cease operations,at least publicly.So it is most certainly worthy of a lawsuit when you try to cheat others involving MONEY.TYhen yo ucan include players time lost of their entire game experience is ruined,how much value you put on wasting their time?To MOST people ,their TIEM is worth far more than a video game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by ClaudeSuamOram

*See Spec Ops: The Line*

That game is RAMPANT with aim botters, speed hackers, etc. They have no anit-chea programming nor seem to care. Sad too because the game is pretty good in multi-player....EXCEPT the hackers. Which oddly are almost entirely comprised of Russians and/or German players.

Max Payne 3 multiplayer on PC is full of hackers too. A huge disappointment for me because i love that particular multiplayer from Max Payne 3. Had to get the console version to avoid the hackers on PC and just forget about the awesome graphics on PC version and just uninstalled it....

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

19th century, or 18th? When did the Stocks get phased out, exactly? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stocks 19th, at least in Britain.

How much legal exposure his lawyers will allow him to assume, I guess. :shrug:

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

Very simple, yes... better question why not?

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by Xthos

I would just like it if they actually got rid of people that cheated, too often it seems like they do not want to lose the money from the individual and do nothing, atleast until they do something over the top.

Nothing kills my interest in a game, like people cheating/hacking and duping all over the place.

But should the cheaters be tossed up on a website and publicly shamed?  As of right now I only know of one company that is about to do that to their player base.  If that is good should other companies start doing the same thing?  Could said company get sued out of existance because they are posting banned character names?

Hear the old saying "Do the crime do the time"? Well that applys here. Look at it like Gamer's prison.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303

In very specific circumstances, it works.

To start with, gamers whose identities are still a secret (all non-competitive gamers) shouldn't have them released by companies.  There are numerous websites out there where, simply by typing in a person's name, you can get a lot of personal information.  If a person has a rare name, or you can mine their posts to find out what city (or even just state, in some cases) they live in, you can often identify them specifically using only a name.  And guess what?  A lot of people out there take this shit way too seriously.

Let me put this a different way.  Most people who act immature in games are .  .  guess what?  Physically immature.  Brains don't stop developing until a person's mid-20's, particularly the parts responsible for risk analysis and inhibition.  If you were a parent, would you want your teenage son to have his name posted to a large group of players, with some of them inevitably being mentally imbalanced, just because he cheated in a video game?  If you're not yet a parent, and your answer was, "Yes, all botters in WoW should die, even my own future children," there are special procedures called a vasectomy (for men) or tubal ligation (for women) which you may find advisable.

The only time where I think it's advisable is this: to keep esports players in line.  These players, like it or not, are often an example for the broad playerbase.  They're already publicly known by name, so revealing their bad behavior doesn't unduly expose them.  In many cases, they are already well-known as being abusive towards others.  And when they get banned, they don't take the message.  They use smurf accounts to troll people, and when they get banned, they can easily buy/plvl another one.

LoL had an enormous problem with this.  Some of the top players in the world were so amazingly abusive that it's hard to even describe.  I mean they would open their mouths and a constant stream of homophobic, ultracist, misogynistic bile would spew forth.  Some of their esports players were among the top 0.001% most reported players for harassment.  And people knew about it.  And they kept playing on a tournament level.

Eventually, as part of their push to reign in bad behavior, they publicly outed these players, including a lifetime ban from tournament play.  And they were lauded for it, and rightfully so.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

These anonymous behind the screen  gamers who hack and using exploits and being a general asshole should be named and shamed.

Being anonymous has IMO gone to far, they have to face the consequences for their actions.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303
    Originally posted by Torgrim

These anonymous behind the screen  gamers who hack and using exploits and being a general asshole should be named and shamed.

Being anonymous has IMO gone to far, they have to face the consequences for their actions.

There's one problem with this, if you think about it.

You have two kinds of players in modern MMO's: people paying, usually with a credit card/paypal account (and thus a name) behind it, and people playing for free.

People cheating in modern MMO's just to grief aren't going to attach their real name to their account.  You have nobody to go after.  They'll just grief using a free account.  And they can't be deterred with an account ban because they don't care.  I'll use Planetside 2 as an example.  People still cheat.  If you ban them, they haven't put any money into the account, and they can freely create another one.

And people who are paying, who care about their account but bot/exploit to get ahead, can be punished by taking their account away.  They lose all of the money and time they've invested into the account.  If they're actually paying, they usually care about the account.  And honestly, to this kind of player, banning alone is deterrent enough.

So you really have two classes of banned players.  One for whom banning is ineffective and naming and shaming is impossible, and another for whom banning is ample punishment and naming and shaming is potentially excessive.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Yes, cheaters should be shamed.

Secondly, Tasos did the right thing... I only wish the Devs over @ Mortal Online would do the same thing. No point in moving your guild over to that game, it is a cheat/hackfest..    I know several guilds that would move back to MO if they would do a server wipe.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Kurush

You have two kinds of players in modern MMO's: people paying, usually with a credit card/paypal account (and thus a name) behind it, and people playing for free.

People cheating in modern MMO's just to grief aren't going to attach their real name to their account.  You have nobody to go after.  They'll just grief using a free account.  And they can't be deterred with an account ban because they don't care.  I'll use Planetside 2 as an example.  People still cheat.  If you ban them, they haven't put any money into the account, and they can freely create another one.

And people who are paying, who care about their account but bot/exploit to get ahead, can be punished by taking their account away.  They lose all of the money and time they've invested into the account.  If they're actually paying, they usually care about the account.  And honestly, to this kind of player, banning alone is deterrent enough.

So you really have two classes of banned players.  One for whom banning is ineffective and naming and shaming is impossible, and another for whom banning is ample punishment and naming and shaming is potentially excessive.

OIC, so if you're paying then cheating should be a lesser violation of the ToS. image

Dude... NOBODY cares if you cheat in a Free to Play game...  because free to play is a children's playground, so one would expect children with fragile egoes to be cheating. That is why these Dev's allow you to cheat (in their game) using a CC and micro-transactions.

Again...  there is only ONE type of cheater....   though, if they are playing a SUBSCRIPTION based game... then he has more to lose than if he was playing a F2P game.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Well "Botdude544 got banned for using hack" doesn't shame anyone, and Botdude certainly doesn't care, besides he is anonymous as a person anyways.

It may have an effect on temp bans and if guild names are shown too, but temp ban alone is a joke.. we caught you doing something illegal, but we really like your money so its ok, just try not to get caught again.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by kjempff

Well "Botdude544 got banned for using hack" doesn't shame anyone, and Botdude certainly doesn't care, besides he is anonymous as a person anyways.

It may have an effect on temp bans and if guild names are shown too, but temp ban alone is a joke.. we caught you doing something illegal, but we really like your money so its ok, just try not to get caught again.

Botdude544 is most likley a goldfarmer anyway.

When it comes to PvP many who loves PvP see it as a competive esport and they have invested good amount of time into their toon and perhaps a name for himself, name and shame that kind of guys for hacking has much more to lose than botdude544 both in reputation and credibility.

Same goes for if he has invested great amount of time with PVE to get the best of the best gears.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

These are game's not the FBI most wanted list in rl.I dislike the cheater's and such just like anyone else,but posting character name's seem's over the top to me.It's a game,game,game.It would be no different than losing over and over and over to someone at Monopoly,claiming they cheat and posting the name all over.Who the heck really care's,it's a game.

Banning them and the ip seem's plenty to me.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

In very specific circumstances, it works.

To start with, gamers whose identities are still a secret (all non-competitive gamers) shouldn't have them released by companies.  There are numerous websites out there where, simply by typing in a person's name, you can get a lot of personal information.  If a person has a rare name, or you can mine their posts to find out what city (or even just state, in some cases) they live in, you can often identify them specifically using only a name.  And guess what?  A lot of people out there take this shit way too seriously.

Let me put this a different way.  Most people who act immature in games are .  .  guess what?  Physically immature.  Brains don't stop developing until a person's mid-20's, particularly the parts responsible for risk analysis and inhibition.  If you were a parent, would you want your teenage son to have his name posted to a large group of players, with some of them inevitably being mentally imbalanced, just because he cheated in a video game?  If you're not yet a parent, and your answer was, "Yes, all botters in WoW should die, even my own future children," there are special procedures called a vasectomy (for men) or tubal ligation (for women) which you may find advisable.

The only time where I think it's advisable is this: to keep esports players in line.  These players, like it or not, are often an example for the broad playerbase.  They're already publicly known by name, so revealing their bad behavior doesn't unduly expose them.  In many cases, they are already well-known as being abusive towards others.  And when they get banned, they don't take the message.  They use smurf accounts to troll people, and when they get banned, they can easily buy/plvl another one.

LoL had an enormous problem with this.  Some of the top players in the world were so amazingly abusive that it's hard to even describe.  I mean they would open their mouths and a constant stream of homophobic, ultracist, misogynistic bile would spew forth.  Some of their esports players were among the top 0.001% most reported players for harassment.  And people knew about it.  And they kept playing on a tournament level.

Eventually, as part of their push to reign in bad behavior, they publicly outed these players, including a lifetime ban from tournament play.  And they were lauded for it, and rightfully so.

So true^...   but I think you over look these ultr-tard's egos.

If you shame and laugh at them for needing to use hack & cheats in the first place. Their illusion of themselves as a character looking awsome in  a hard game is RUINED.  That is why they cheat, because they are unable.

Read the journals, it is a sign of mental retardation and coping skills. They are UNABLE to cope in the game, thus cheat to feed their fragile egoes. They cannot handle the reality.. they suck,   .. so they change that reality by cheating..!

If you shame them, they burn inside and nerd-rage ovr..

-Nariusseldon

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by Slappy1

These are game's not the FBI most wanted list in rl.I dislike the cheater's and such just like anyone else,but posting character name's seem's over the top to me.It's a game,game,game.It would be no different than losing over and over and over to someone at Monopoly,claiming they cheat and posting the name all over.Who the heck really care's,it's a game.

Banning them and the ip seem's plenty to me.

Not exactly like I would ever rage out and track down Broadaxe the Barbarian.

Tempest, teapot.

What's interesting is that you can earn exactly the same "omg they're soooo after cheaters!" cred by launching a site with made-up randomly generated names..,

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

they also should post names of those players who say "im sure xx49957" cheats.

then its fair.

and if xx49957 did not cheat,then whoever tried to lie gets his name to some wall too :D

because.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perjury

let me check my mirror ball, " hey xx49957" i saw you cheated ,i think ,give me 50000g and I wont tell anyone.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by observer

No. There's no reason for shaming people that make errors in judgement, especially over a video game.  That's ridiculous.

Most cheaters know exactly what they are doing so I would not call it an error in judgement.  However for the shaming part I could imagine someone who has a real error in judgement and uses their real name as their charactor name.  Could that pose a legal issue if said player is shamed?

I could imagine this working out good in a niche game like Camelot Unchained (small player base) but when you are dealing with millions of players (World of Warcraft) a public list would be impossible.

If they aren't posting the persons actual name but instead the character name, what is the point?  They should delete the character throw that name back in the pot for others to use if they want and post the players actual name.  Who the heck would be shamed from their character name showing up on a webpage?

Edit:  I just checked out the link to the AV website, and I can't believe they made a site to post character names.  I'm not really seeing how that would actually shame someone.  Plus that means those character names won't ever be usable again, otherwise you would have a character name both on the banned wall of shame and in the game possibly leading to problems for the person who created a new character with an unfortunate name.  So it seems all they are really doing is creating a list of names that will never be usable again.