Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: All About the Gameplay

Comments

• Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

I didn't really mind the leaked video.  The fonts were old and the graphics were woefully outdated and the gameplay looked really, really bad....but that guy was level one and maybe a lot of the UI stuff were placeholders.  Might be wishful thinking.

Actually the game world and the feel of the game reminded me of EQ running through the Ro Desert area, or AOC.  That is not horrible.  It was not Skyrim though and did not look or feel like Skyrim, but the area was a desert and the guy was a caster.

I don't have any real hope for this game.  No one really wants a TES MMO.  The fans of the single player games will not like the massive restriction and reduced freedom, while the MMO fans do not want another WOW clone or GW2 clone, which is likely what this will end up being.

This will just be a stop gap MMO on the wait for EQ Next.

I really want a TES MMO.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I remember stating that making this was going to be next to impossible, it looks like I am going to be right on target.
  • scracascraca Member Posts: 45
    I played the last weekends beta. The game looks very nice on highest settings. The skill and talent leveling is pretty cool. I did not like the Skyrim style combat though. It felt very clunky.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Bensor
    The leaked version is from an early alpha build. Confirmed by an inner source.

Which does the rest of us absolutely zero good since you can't confirm that.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

This article could have been written about any MMO that's come out lately based on their pre-release hype.

HOW is ESO different from GW2 and other MMOs, though?  It seems like there is questing (you can wear a pirate costume, hurray.. doesn't make it monumental or unique though), exploring (whatever that means, it's a pretty broad term) and doing things "your way" (exact same goal with an optional path possibly?).

I don't understand why the hype for this is so high after all the games that keep burning people. I see very little "promised" that seems new or exciting. It sounds like Skyrim is being downgraded into an MMO.

So where is the innovation, creativity and industry shake up? When do we get those articles? Will we ever get them with this game, or is it just designed to be an MMO for MMO sake?

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256

I didn't mind the leaked video actually. The guy playing it is a terrible goofball of a player who destroys any cohesion there is and the way he plays would make anything look bad. I certainly don't understand how people can say the graphics were bad. I actually was very impressed with it, especially with water, but then again it could be because i was very worried it would look plastic and horrible like swtor since it uses hero engine.

But that font and ui... my god that font is the most horrible thing i've seen in any mmo. Maaaaybe it would be good for Fallen Earth but if you think you can use something like that for a TES game, just gtfo this very second. It shouldn't be there even as placeholder. UI sucked too and i'm sure these things will get reworked anyway. Aside from that i don't understand what people are complaining about. Did you think there would be no mob killing? No map markers? No resurrecting at a shrine? What were you thinking? What is it that you saw in that video that made you go batshit really?

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395

"its open world maps", "Elder Scrolls has really presented the “play how you want” mentality"

Outright lies, arent we beyond this point for this game?

Anyone that is going to believe it are already fans of the game...and everyone that doesnt, isnt going to touch this game. The people you are trying to win over will not have the wool pulled over their eyes and the TES fan outrage is not going to be slowed down by your pretending that 3 closed off realms and a PvP zone can be "opne world" and they sure as hell wont listen to anyone telling them that they can play how they want when the entire game is not only on a guiderail funneling them into the central PvP zones, but they cant even chose the race/faction they want.

Play as you choose means I can play a human, that was enslaved by the Dominion, eventually freed to turn on my captives after I find out that humans have their own kingdom and are fighting my masters.

But I digress, that kind of play as I want is reserved for actual roleplaying games not trapped in a 13 year old MMO box.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    ^ Don't forget that it's not really open world either.  You have to go to a special map to PvP and everything else is phased or instanced, meaning you won't even be seeing half of the people that are technically right in front of you.  That's my biggest problem apart from the combat (ie: the phasing, not the PvP map... I kind of like that part).
  • jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by Panzerbase
    Gameplay is important to be sure, probably the most important aspect of any game, but let's face facts no one wants graphics 10 years too late meshed in with ancient tab targetting. 

FFS im not even interested in the game but im sick of such remakrs.

I watched the video, while graphics were no FFXIV:ARR, they were still MODERN.

In case some of you forgot recent mmo titles: SWTOR, Defiance, GW2.

The graphics in all 3 are mediocre at best so why all the sudden the rage about this games leaked video?  People sometimes...

• Pirhana7Pirhana7 Member UncommonPosts: 23

I didn't really mind the leaked video.  The fonts were old and the graphics were woefully outdated and the gameplay looked really, really bad....but that guy was level one and maybe a lot of the UI stuff were placeholders.  Might be wishful thinking.

Actually the game world and the feel of the game reminded me of EQ running through the Ro Desert area, or AOC.  That is not horrible.  It was not Skyrim though and did not look or feel like Skyrim, but the area was a desert and the guy was a caster.

I don't have any real hope for this game.  No one really wants a TES MMO.  The fans of the single player games will not like the massive restriction and reduced freedom, while the MMO fans do not want another WOW clone or GW2 clone, which is likely what this will end up being.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really dont see how this could be considered a WoW or GW2 clone.  All the main aspects are being taken from ES.  the only clone part could be coming from Darkage of Camelot.  Which people actually want.    WoW and GW2 dont have an active defense system and their combat is all based off cool down timers.  TESo follows DAOC with the stamina and magika bar management, there are no colldown abilities.  It also follows the 3way world fight and is giving the feel that you need to protect your lands from the enemy alliances.  the cyrodiil zone will offer EVERYTHING and have its own progression system so people can keep improving their characters after max level.  We have been asking for an MMO like this for a long time.  The elderscrolls world and combat just makes it that much better.

• Pirhana7Pirhana7 Member UncommonPosts: 23

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really dont see how this could be considered a WoW or GW2 clone.  All the main aspects are being taken from ES.  the only clone part could be coming from Darkage of Camelot.  Which people actually want.    WoW and GW2 dont have an active defense system and their combat is all based off cool down timers.  TESo follows DAOC with the stamina and magika bar management, there are no colldown abilities.  It also follows the 3way world fight and is giving the feel that you need to protect your lands from the enemy alliances.  the cyrodiil zone will offer EVERYTHING and have its own progression system so people can keep improving their characters after max level.  We have been asking for an MMO like this for a long time.  The elderscrolls world and combat just makes it that much better.

• DinityDinity Member Posts: 2

I hope this leaked video scared some of the kids away... Sadly that is money taken from the game but maybe a better community of Elder Scrolls Fans... 

For myself the only thing i saw in that video was:

A guy who did NOT play proberly.

A nice and CLEAN userinterface.

The elder scrolls world in it's beauty.

A GREAT character creation screen with alot of finesse.

Great voice acting.

some sorcerrer spells that looked exactly as they did in ESO's videos...

Some bugs showing that it is BETA.

And alot of rage comments.

• lunarsporelunarspore Member Posts: 4

As far as the UI is concerned, I believe all TES user interfaces were completely terrible, especially if you play the game on a PC.  That being said, I didn't think the graphics were all that terrible, but they certainly werent at Skyrim level of quality... Maybe Oblivion.  Still, it looks graphically better than GW2 as far as their environments go (GW2's character models are still superior).  Gameplay?  Well honestly the combat looked clunky just like all the other TES titles.  No surprise there really.  

The one thing I hope they get right... and this is going to be their biggest challenge, is the feeling of player choice.  You should be able to start the game, start exploring, and have an epic adventure without following on-rails quests.  That's always been the strength of TES games is the sandbox feel.  The UI and combat have always been sub-par IMO.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Elder Scrolls games are about immersion and exploration. You can have decent combat and many would still love Elder Scrolls games. These guys at Zenimax have it all backwards.
  • DinityDinity Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by lunarspore

As far as the UI is concerned, I believe all TES user interfaces were completely terrible, especially if you play the game on a PC.  That being said, I didn't think the graphics were all that terrible, but they certainly werent at Skyrim level of quality... Maybe Oblivion.  Still, it looks graphically better than GW2 as far as their environments go (GW2's character models are still superior).  Gameplay?  Well honestly the combat looked clunky just like all the other TES titles.  No surprise there really.  

The one thing I hope they get right... and this is going to be their biggest challenge, is the feeling of player choice.  You should be able to start the game, start exploring, and have an epic adventure without following on-rails quests.  That's always been the strength of TES games is the sandbox feel.  The UI and combat have always been sub-par IMO.

And ofc. they will get it right, they have done it for like 20 years...

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by marz.at.play
    After the leaked video, is anyone actually still excited about this game considering it's going the subscription model route? Just curious as a game would have to blow me away to justify a subscription anymore. Most MMO's are going the B2P or F2P route, plus there's so many choices now as a result.

Subscription model is yet another check mark on the list of reasons to play this game.  It also helps in overlooking some design decisions that I don't really care for, but can tolerate if the other stuff is really good.  What this tells me is that they are trying to make a great game worthy of a subscription, rather than a mediocre or crappy game made for the cash shop grab with lackluster systems that can barely be called fun and have no lasting appeal.  When a company can make a AAA game that is truly fun and earns its income without nickel and diming you into submission, then I'll embrace that business model, but till then I'll stick with subscription.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by lunarspore

You are confusing open ended gameplay with sandbox.  There is a distinct difference.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc
    .........Leaked video................. Operation Damage control Status = on................ 

this, basically

• blazzen67blazzen67 Member Posts: 65
    if this game is even in the same ball park with skyrim, I will be getting this game.
  • phradenphraden Member Posts: 28
    I pray it's sub based. Free games are always filled with spam and scams. Try and shine light on free games all you want they are not the quality of P2P and if you believe they are you are just in denial. P2P fosters a closer community, reliable support, and consistent updates. It's no surprise companies that have failed games switch to F2P before they shut down. It makes it easy to restrict content to some as well as slack on customer service. It's happened to every single MMO, and I've played or tested nearly 40 or so, P2P is the way to go especially for an Elder Scrolls caliber game. If you can't dish out 14$ a month, you can't afford to play top level MMOs it's simple as that.
  • blazzen67blazzen67 Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    Elder Scrolls games are about immersion and exploration. You can have decent combat and many would still love Elder Scrolls games. These guys at Zenimax have it all backwards.

Elder Scroll games are really about how the player wants to play it.....if that player wants to hack and slash, then thats what that person will do..if the person want the "immersion and exploration", thats what that player will do..thats what makes the elder scrolls really good..its a game that is what the player makes the game to be..not the other way around
  • TithenonTithenon Member UncommonPosts: 113
    After the leaked video, is anyone actually still excited about this game considering it's going the subscription model route? Just curious as a game would have to blow me away to justify a subscription anymore. Most MMO's are going the B2P or F2P route, plus there's so many choices now as a result.

In fact, I am even MORE excited.  Free-to-Play games are labeled as such for a reason... namely, they suck.  Now, I feel the need to qualify that... Lord of the Rings Online is actually very well-done, and Turbine is seeking to improve the game in ways that haven't been done in an MMO community, before, but the game is still F2P, and it will have a long way to go before it would be subscription viable.

TESO, on the other hand, if the game is anything like Oblivion or Skyrim and, from all indications it will be even better, will be well-worth the monthly subscription.  I don't understand why people are so averse to paying a monthly fee, for all of the hard work and content put into the game, for everything that will be fixed by a professional-grade business rather than a gamer business, and for everything yet to come.

In fact, for those of you who hate subscriptions and are work-aged... how would you feel if I came to your business and told you that all of your services, which were VERY expensive to build into your business, and your business model itself, were not going to be paid for through the standard means of paying for them?  Wouldn't you be absolutely outraged that all of your hard work was going out the window, that you wouldn't have the money, meaning you also wouldn't REALLY have the opportunity, to improve them, and that your pay might take a drastic cut.  Or, worse, how about you look at it this way... all of your hard work doesn't mean squat to anyone who will not be paying for your services, but they still have the right to yell and scream at you like you're some ignorant stupid dweeb who had nothing to do with building their new favorite pastime, and you still have to work as a wage-slave to produce new items that cannot be P2W and have to look and function great in the game, without flaws, or you will lose people, hence losing your job?

You subscription haters disgust me, frankly; if I am capable of paying what I consider to be a tiny monthly fee to have dozens of hours per month of self-directed enjoyment ANY TIME I want it, I will.  I want a game that actually has quality, not just a time-sink that makes me want to bang my head on the desk, and that is precisely what F2P models have become.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Putting it that way Im glad you wont be joining us.  You are free to skip from F2P to F2P.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by black_isle

I didn't mind the leaked video actually. The guy playing it is a terrible goofball of a player who destroys any cohesion there is and the way he plays would make anything look bad. I certainly don't understand how people can say the graphics were bad. I actually was very impressed with it, especially with water, but then again it could be because i was very worried it would look plastic and horrible like swtor since it uses hero engine.

But that font and ui... my god that font is the most horrible thing i've seen in any mmo. Maaaaybe it would be good for Fallen Earth but if you think you can use something like that for a TES game, just gtfo this very second. It shouldn't be there even as placeholder. UI sucked too and i'm sure these things will get reworked anyway. Aside from that i don't understand what people are complaining about. Did you think there would be no mob killing? No map markers? No resurrecting at a shrine? What were you thinking? What is it that you saw in that video that made you go batshit really?

And that's pretty much in a nut shell the crux of the whole thing.

The game actually does look better than shown in the video. But it's not skyrim good looking or anything like that and I believe they even said it wasn't going to look like (or play like) skyrim online.

Some of the combat can be evaluated in that you are looking at the animations as well as the characters "speed". So that might change though I would say doubtful. What can't be fully evaluated is the rest of combat. The player only used the left click attack. That was it. So how can someone be angry and "up in arms" when you weren't actually shown anything.

the quests are mmo quests though we don't know the entirety of what they will be about. In truth, in Morrowind through to skyrim a quset was "go get this, go kill this go find this". Since they said this was an "Elder Scrolls MMO" it seems they have gone the standard mmo quest route with some minor changes.

It's an Elder Scrolls "MMO". I would rather have "Morrowind Online" but how can I be besides myself when they have been clear as to what the game was always going to be.

Since they always said this was going to be an "mmo in this style" and since several articles on this site stated that "it was a themepark", nothing shown in any video should be new to people. We had already been forewarned.

They already said the UI was going to change but I suspect the look won't change. I hope they change the fonts over the character's heads. Then again, come to think of it, I usually turn that off. Which we know we can do.

I sometimes think the players are their own worse enemies. They create things in their head, put things so high up on a pedestal, literally develop the entire game in their wishes and hopes,  that nothing that is usually said ever supports what they think these games are going to be.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    IDk that was an extremely vague article,nothing there to convince me of anything positive or negative,just not enough content in the article.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.