Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to put together a computer, parts I am looking at.

2»

Comments

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Quizzical

If you're willing to pay more for something of higher quality, you could try either of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151118

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182264

It looks like they're both semi-modular, which means that a few cables that they figure nearly everyone will need (e.g., motherboard, processor) are hard-wired and the rest are modular.

If you like big rebates, there's also this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121093

That's very much high end quality, and at way more wattage than you need.

Thank you, I will probably go with the 2nd, the Rosiwell, for $5 more than the 1st one, they had these on special I think a little bit ago, i'll look around a little also to see if someone has the same ones on special...The last one, never heard of them really.  Seems people like Rosiwell a lot.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    The primary reasons I've seen people give for modular power supplys are appearance and air flow.  Appearance is a matter of choice.  Air flow would only be an issue in very small tight system cases like micro-ITX cases.  You need air flow in cases but the standard mid-tower case has plenty of room for air flow that a couple of extra cables hanging around isn't going to have an effect.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Rosewill is basically Newegg's "Brand".
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Got all my stuff from Newegg and a friend came over and helped me put everything together today.  We had a computer reset cable backwards, it was not labeled good, and we knew it was going to be 50/50,but we put it on the motherboard with the writing the same way as all the other cables, and it ended up being the wrong way...We got that switched around, and then the motherboard had two fan ports for the Evo 212, we used the closest one to the cpu, so if I wanted to add another later, it would be easy to get to.  We were getting a fan error, even though it was running, so we switched it to the other slot and the error disappeared.

The second computer, went much faster, but we must of loosened the SSD cables when we bundled stuff and put the cover back on, so had to mess with that a little...Then when I plugged my mouse back in, it stopped working lol, changed some plugs and it picked it back up and is working fine.

Just typed that, so if anyone else that is building theirs has any of the same problems, they will have read what we did.

The Windows 8 keys are super SMALL now, and put over different color backgrounds, will be a total pain to read the code if the sticker is put on the computer and I need it later.  Seems kind of silly, given that you cannot see the code if the package is sealed, so don't see the need for it to be so small.

Have not had a chance to do much on it yet, my wife was finishing installing all the drivers when I had to come to work.

Thank you all for the help and advice.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I didn't know you could wire in the reset cable backwards - all it does is short the pins together when you push the button. Maybe if it were on the wrong pins to begin with - those front case headers are a royal pain to wire up, I will admit - and LEDs in particular when they aren't labeled clearly (those can be wired in backwards).

Fan errors can be cleared in the BIOS - it defaults to assuming you have fans plugged in on certain headers - if you don't, you just disable that header (and enable the ones you have fans plugged into). Swapping the fan header worked more or less the same way though - just info in case you do add another fan later on.

Anyhow, glad to hear it's working - congrats.