Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to do?

2»

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by geel

Same problem here. I have have 5 lvl 80's now.  Combat imo is dull as shit. Yes it has a nice dodge system and it feels fluid. But there is hardly any character customization concerning skills. Every warrior is a warrior.. every elementalist is an elementalist. Yes yes, so you need to learn how to play your class, and this is true. I completely agree. But there is hardly any place for creative ways to deviate from the norm in builds. I often feel pushed in 1 of 2 directions in any class. Either direct damage or condition damage. I always prefer direct damage. Take that into account and customization is almost non existent imho. 

Also endgame to me is  boring. Why would we continue playing? There is 1 reason.. legendaries. While they look amazing, I simply can't push myself to playing any type of content in order to get it. I think a lot of people feel exactly the same as you do. 

One thing my guild/friends keep telling me is. "The world of GW2 will keep getting small patches and expansions, there will be new things coming in every month to keep ur interest." Patches are really good i think, and god I love the super adventure box. But still, I can't bring myself to play even that. Because I don't like anything else about the game. Except the first playthrough when all the "random" and "dynamic" quests feel fresh. But that illusion will soon shatter.

Just my 2 cents.

Felt the same over all too.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Elikal

Same problem here. I have have 5 lvl 80's now.  Combat imo is dull as shit. Yes it has a nice dodge system and it feels fluid. But there is hardly any character customization concerning skills. Every warrior is a warrior.. every elementalist is an elementalist. Yes yes, so you need to learn how to play your class, and this is true. I completely agree. But there is hardly any place for creative ways to deviate from the norm in builds. I often feel pushed in 1 of 2 directions in any class. Either direct damage or condition damage. I always prefer direct damage. Take that into account and customization is almost non existent imho. 

Also endgame to me is  boring. Why would we continue playing? There is 1 reason.. legendaries. While they look amazing, I simply can't push myself to playing any type of content in order to get it. I think a lot of people feel exactly the same as you do. 

One thing my guild/friends keep telling me is. "The world of GW2 will keep getting small patches and expansions, there will be new things coming in every month to keep ur interest." Patches are really good i think, and god I love the super adventure box. But still, I can't bring myself to play even that. Because I don't like anything else about the game. Except the first playthrough when all the "random" and "dynamic" quests feel fresh. But that illusion will soon shatter.

Just my 2 cents.

Felt the same over all too.

You're probably just not exploring your characters enough.

I can't think of a single class in the game atm with only 1 viable build (for pvp or pve). Even the worst classes in the game have at least 2 viable ones.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by Volkon

WvW is my major addiction right now. You don't do it for the badge gear. You do it to crush your enemies, to see them fall at your feet -- to take their dolyaks and goods and hear the lamentation of their women.

That's what I am stuck with too. WvW is great when you have real fights going on and good commanders on your side. WvW is not great due to long queues in prime time and no real campaign progression/everything can be reset too easily. Also, the four maps feel much more like battlegrounds than true rvr warfare. I would be much more happy if you could really drive enemies off the map and then prevent them from coming back for as long as possible. It feels so ... disconnected atm.

WvW is a unique experience, that's why it is fun. It needs much more depth, tho, in order to sustain my interest for more than a couple of days each month.
  • ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115
    Might I suggest go reading a book or maybe going outside?
  • mistersalty1mistersalty1 Member Posts: 26
    uninstall and play something with actual end game content
  • Chile267Chile267 Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Since there is no sub and you did get your monies worth upon purchasing, go play something else and when they come out with an expansion come back and play or when you miss it. It doesn't cost you to play when you want to.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    ALTS MAN, ALTS!
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by fiontar

Alts. I kept changing my mind on my favorite profession as I leveled almost all of them to 80 and have been surprised to find which have ended up my favorites at the end of the process. So, yeah, alts are a good way to extend the game.

Dailies. Doing dailies can keep you logging in on days you aren't sure what to do.

Don't do dailies, just explore the world. Dailies have theirn place, but some people just like to explore and not worry about a daily checklist. A good portion of my time playing GW2 has been spent just playing the game as if it was just one massice Skyrim like game.

try a change of focus. Whether PvE, PvP, WvW or dungeons have been your primary focus, just pick another area to enjoy.

If worst comes to worst, take a break and do something completely different. Even the best MMOs can start to feel tiresome for their biggest fans if played with out the occassional "vacation" from the game.

GW2 gives you more to do at the level cap than just about any MMO in the history of the genre, because the game offers four major modes of game play, (five if you include things like Super Adventure Box), a massive world with tons of events and level scaling to allow a level capped player to enjoy just about any area of the massive game world.

I've gotten almost 1200 hours from the game myself and there is a lot of the game I haven't participated much in, so I know there several hundred hours at the very least ahead of me, much more if they ever do a proper expansion of overcome the apparent hiccups in efficiently producing new Dynamic Events for the game world. However, even I have felt a need to cut way back on my playtime in favor of other games and other persuits.

There is a massive game here and a better value does not exist in the MMO space, but it's ok to demote the game to part time status or even take a break from time to time.

That is most definitely not true. GW2 is a lot of things, but a game with lots of endgame it is not. At least not in the traditional sense that would be appealing to most players. After a few alts, you will have seen all there is to see. The SPvP is a joke to most PvPers and the WvW is a giant zerg fest that might appeal to some, but definitely not the majority. There are no raids and no real equivalent in the game. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by Fion

Folks saying clases are all the same or even that every character of a class is the same make me laugh. Or 'only useful weapon on a Guardian is Greatsword'. That guy I'm going to assume never did anything but strait up open-world PvE. And if you feel that 'every elementalist is the same elementalist' you are just playing the game wrong, or just going strait up cookie-cutter, and what is the fun in that?

Honestly I'm still surprised GW2 peeps still use this line. Isn't some of the fun of playing an MMO. The chance to play the way you want? If I can't play the way I want, is it really my character?

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Roin
    Originally posted by Fion

Folks saying clases are all the same or even that every character of a class is the same make me laugh. Or 'only useful weapon on a Guardian is Greatsword'. That guy I'm going to assume never did anything but strait up open-world PvE. And if you feel that 'every elementalist is the same elementalist' you are just playing the game wrong, or just going strait up cookie-cutter, and what is the fun in that?

Honestly I'm still surprised GW2 peeps still use this line. Isn't some of the fun of playing an MMO. The chance to play the way you want? If I can't play the way I want, is it really my character?

no. it is not your character. You should read the EULA.  It remains the property of the development team.  just sayin

And your two  names are very close.  just sayin.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

I love GW2, and I think it's the best MMO market and unlike a lot of people here I don't find the combat dull (there is actually a large variety in builds, but people just seem to be dead set on damage), but as a hardcore player there really isn't anything to do once you experienced it all.  I got my legendary and it was an extremely boring grind, literally months of just gold farming nonstop.  I leveled Fractals up to almost 50 before I got bored of running the same with ones over and over again where the only change is the stats on the MOBs increased and the agony became a lot more vicious. 

This game sorely lacked anything for a hardcore player to do.  There is WvW, but that's devolved into zerg versus zerg where everyone (including my guildmates) seem to think you can't contribute to it in a small group.  I found that to be untrue, but it's hard to convince people otherwise.  Content patches are great, but the game lacks serious progression (adding an Ascended piece to work for every 2 months isn't going to cut it here).  Just about every achievement is a straight up grind and if it isn't, it's generally too easy to complete so there really isn't much for an achiever in the current system.

Don't get me wrong GW2 has a lot of content, but without serious progression content especially for guilds it just can't keep a player who devotes a lot of time to a MMO happy for too long.  You can max a character in less than a week and with crafting you can do it in a single day, which makes it fairly easy to max all the classes if you enjoy that.  I feel like GW2 desperately needed "raids" of sort for progression oriented players, even if the rewards were just cosmetic and currency.  I'm excited for Wildstar which will have a combat system fairly similar to GW2's, but with the trinity and hardcore raiding.

Super Adventure Box is great though, and I look forward to returning to GW2 for more patches if they keep up the quality of the patches.  Guild missions/challenges/etc we're okay, though they made the mistake of limiting these to only large active guilds that can afford the influence costs.

Anyway, after that long rant my suggestion to the OP is to return and try out Super Adventure Box (and Guild Missions if able) and play something else till another great patch comes out.  That's the big advantage of B2P anyway, is you don't have to be attached to the MMO to get your money's worth.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

There is so much I want to do now it is kind of intimidating.

Going for 100% zone completion is a stretch goal -

But I'm fully in Rare gear now, only a couple of Exotic pieces, so I need to get myself decked out in full exotics.

I want to experience all of the dungeons, every path and story mode - not really too concerned with farming one or two for gear sets.

Trying to catch up on Living story I've missed.

Trying to up my two chosen crafting professions to 400.

Need to find/figure out to do the other big named Dragon fights I haven't done yet - but again, probably once I don't like farming too much.

Want to spend some time in sPvP and rank up a bit.

Want to spend a good chunk of time in RvR with my guild - being on JQ is both a blessing and a curse :)

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702
    You've in the same predicament many of us are in. I hit 80 back when the game first came out and never played it again. The last 3 zones are awful, and so are the dungeons.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

The only reason this game is still on my computer is because it's B2P. I check out some of the new stuff from time to time (living story, adventure box) but that's about it. There isn't much content at max level that I like. I love running dungeons in every single game but this one. Here dungeons are boring. WvWvW is a zergfest no thanks. What I really wanted to play was sPvP. I loved the pvp in gw1. But Gw2's spvp is outright bad. I mean it was good for like 10-20 matches but it got boring real quick. Honestly I vastly prefer WoW's BGs and Arenas but I don't think that's worth a sub for me.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• kray0nkray0n Member Posts: 26

• ArcticnoonArcticnoon Member Posts: 141

This thread is really sad. Basicly you payed 60+ bucks for 1-2 months of fun and now youre waiting for and expansion hoping it gives you something else to do in GW2. And youre advise is "Level an Alt!" "Do different Dungeon!" But here is the problem with both those fake rememdies in GW2. Alts dont matter because no class is special. They can all do damage, heal and tank. Just some a little better at one than the other. BORING! Dungeons dont matter once you get a decent set of lvl 80 gear cause anything after is just for "looks". BORING!

Developers should be ashamed of releasing a AAA title with 1 month of content. I dont care if it is free to play, its shameful. I'm one of the suckers that picked up my copy on release, played 1 week and never touched it again.  Worst money I ever spent. I invested 385 days worth of game time into FFXI over 5 years and still didnt get all the gear I wanted or finish all the quest or missions. I would call into work to play that game. This is why I was happy to buy ever expansion and pay 11.99+ ever month. It gave me joy, anger, frustration, triumph, failure and hours of time flying bye. Not to mention the fact that you needed your fellow players to help you do most things that were worthwhile in game. So being force to interact with the community a strange thing happened.... I made real life friend from all over the world. Living in Texas I made friends from Maryland, Nevada ,Canada, Argentina and even Amsterdam. Some of this friends where even hot girls! 

The problem with games these days is every developer is hoping to make Blizzard money. So they try to appease everyone and his mother, little sister, niece and second cousin once removed. In the end, it leaves Real RPG Players wondering if anyone will have the balls to make a real game again.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

I play alts.. endgame in any current themepark holds no interest to me.. so for GW2 i level alts or play some WvW..

GW2 imho has the best alt leveling experience of any themepark MMO i have played

I agree with this. I'd also add that if you enjoy free roaming RPGs like Skyrim, thanks to level scaling and DEs in GW2 you can take a character and just roam and explore the vast game world in exactly the same way you would roam and enjoy a game world like Skyrim. A fair portion of my 1400+ hours has been spent doing just that and I enjoy it a lot more than doing dailies or grinding dungeons.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

I'm a fresh level 80 and I'm kind of in the opposite predicament at the moment. I'm sort of overwhelmed as to what I should do right now. I only have about 33 percent world completion, no rares or exotics yets, barely touched WvW, hardly touched crafting, Still have 3 story mode dungeons to run and have run zero explorables, and I've never run fractals. 

So yeah, I'm not sure what to do because there is too much to do. I've really just been enjoying my time messing around in the straights of devastation at the moment. So far I'm loving that zone because it was the first one with out hearts, and I'm enjoying the massive DE chains.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Same problem here. I have have 5 lvl 80's now.  Combat imo is dull as shit. Yes it has a nice dodge system and it feels fluid. But there is hardly any character customization concerning skills. Every warrior is a warrior.. every elementalist is an elementalist. 

LOL!

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

I play alts.. endgame in any current themepark holds no interest to me.. so for GW2 i level alts or play some WvW..

GW2 imho has the best alt leveling experience of any themepark MMO i have played

Isnt it like a mousewheel though? I mean what's the point to play a game when there is nothing to keep u intrested ? What's the  point to raise alt character also in a meaningless game?

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    This game is great but simply put if you HAVE to have a carrot on a stick you WILL NOT enjoy the end game here. I personally love carrot on a stick endgame but also love this system. GW2 to me is a great B2P games and I see myself playing it for years to come.
  • FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

^^^

If you 'must' have a carrot after level cap, GW2 really isn't for you. I have hundreds of hours on several level 80 chars and I never lack for things to do. Why? After I got the major things (look I liked, world completion, etc) I just play those characters like I would any other, I do a variety of stuff from dungeons, guild events, WvW as the mood hits me. Having a great bunch of folks to game with helps a tun as well.