Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com will be down for maintenance beginning at midnight EST on Tuesday, August 30. Downtime is expected to last only a couple of hours.

Studying Game Design RPG project

sancher36sancher36 housePosts: 458Member Uncommon

Currently I'm studying Game design at university in australia and I'm currently working on an scifi apocalyptic style RPG for my main project using UDK engine. 

I'm interested to know from players what things they love about RPG's and to give me a few suggestions to help in my ideas.

As for my story:

The setting The year is 2050 and the world has been almost totally wiped out by a massive asteroid which has triggered a chain of events around the globe including nuclear meltdowns. The aftermass from radiation leaks from damaged reactors has caused mutations of animals and human life in some affected zones. 

Your awake to find out your in the care of a few survivors and all your friends and family have perished, rumor has it there is a place that has almost been untouched by world events. You decide to embark on a journey to seek out this place and if such place truely exists. Not all is as it seems once you reach this socalled utopia.

I am wanting this game to be open world a lot like skyrim. 

The full story of my idea is almost 10 days long but I am interested on ideas and suggestions on the things people love and can suggest to be added to my project. 

So far I'm looking at including:

1. custom housing you can build from ground up 

2. crafting and crafting stations you can build

3. Fully open world to travel where you want 

4. rebel factions - gaining rep for one will make you lose rep for another

Comments

• mmoskimmoski plymouthPosts: 282Member
    You could look at PnP games such as Rifts, Cyberpunk, Shadowrun, and look up some post apocalyptic rpg games, one feature i really like was the weapon system in borderlands/2, a gazillion guns hell yeah, I think a key feature is very customizable equipment.
  • sancher36sancher36 housePosts: 458Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by mmoski
    You could look at PnP games such as Rifts, Cyberpunk, Shadowrun, and look up some post apocalyptic rpg games, one feature i really like was the weapon system in borderlands/2, a gazillion guns hell yeah, I think a key feature is very customizable equipment.

I have never played borderlands but friends are suggesting I check it out. 

Having loads of customisations is something I do enjoy.

• TartletonTartleton Hamton, NHPosts: 37Member

You should consider having somewhat realistic radiation effects. I think there's a tendency to insert nuclear radiation as some sort of corrupting new age magic when it's realistically just a poison that mostly makes you sick or in extreme cases dead. Yeah you get birth defect animals, but they're going to be still births or die soon after for the most part. Same with chemical weapons and biological weapons which I think you should also include. For the sake of it the nerve gas and viruses would also probably be released in a situation that caused the otherwise unheard of Chernobyl styled reactor failures. 

You can do the research of course. 

What kind of tech level/ aesthetic are you envisioning? 2050 means we should have some proper sci-fi weaponry. Various militaries are already working on increasingly smaller vehicle mounted directed energy weapons like lasers and electromagnetic pulses as well as kinetic penetrators like rail guns. In 40 years they could very well be man portable.  Of course I'd expect contemporary Bolt Actions, Semi Automatics, and Fully Automatic weapons to be much more available. Plenty of WW1 to ww2 era small arms are still viable tools now, at least for civilians. So by that I think AR-15 and AK-47 equivalents would be fairly common when the **** hits the fan. 

• sancher36sancher36 housePosts: 458Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tartleton
    You should consider having somewhat realistic radiation effects. I think there's a tendency to insert nuclear radiation as some sort of corrupting new age magic when it's realistically just a poison that mostly makes you sick or in extreme cases dead. Yeah you get birth defect animals, but they're going to be still births or die soon after for the most part. Same with chemical weapons and biological weapons which I think you should also include. For the sake of it the nerve gas and viruses would also probably be released in a situation that caused the otherwise unheard of Chernobyl styled reactor failures.  You can do the research of course.    What kind of tech level/ aesthetic are you envisioning? 2050 means we should have some proper sci-fi weaponry. Various militaries are already working on increasingly smaller vehicle mounted directed energy weapons like lasers and electromagnetic pulses as well as kinetic penetrators like rail guns. In 40 years they could very well be man portable.  Of course I'd expect contemporary Bolt Actions, Semi Automatics, and Fully Automatic weapons to be much more available. Plenty of WW1 to ww2 era small arms are still viable tools now, at least for civilians. So by that I think AR-15 and AK-47 equivalents would be fairly common when the **** hits the fan. 

My idea was a lot of technology was lost in the destruction but my idea was to have some type of super weapons and dirty weapons to fit my story line. Over the past few weeks I keep developing the story more and more and I'm now out to over 50 pages of story line and ideas. 

Next month I'm going to PAX in melbourne australia with local indie developers and I have a portfolio made up especially for it.