Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you think will the secret space project be like?

how will it be and when will it come out?  Will it come out before Star Citizen and Elite (smart move) or not?

Will it be more like a lobby game with "warzones" to queue up (like Moonbreaker or Star Conflict) to shoot some mobs and players or a fully fledged space sim like JTL with lots of systems to explore, mine and trade?

Before anyone says it won´t happen > it already got confirmed, so please only speculate on how it will actually look like

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Comments

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346
    Only what the engine can handle. So I would say closer to lobby or zoned based space.
  • neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681
    Originally posted by Damedius
    Only what the engine can handle. So I would say closer to lobby or zoned based space.

you can always hide zone lines in the loading screens when warping to new sections.  but knowing the current pvp q, youll q for pvp via lobby anyway.  and possible opvp in shared space systems.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Damedius

I really wouldn´t blame the engine here, a space "warzone" is an instance but if you have a star map with 100+ instanced "systems" or coordiantes to travel to and hyper jump around to do different things there, why shoulnd´t that work as well?

A free to explore star map would just be a much bigger effort than just a bunch of space shooter instances to queue up.

The lamest most effortless way to do it would be another button labelled "queue up for random space warzone", followed by a loading screen, then you see your ship from behind, shoot some mobs in limited time, followed by a loading screen, then you see your character again standing on fleet.

The ideal way (for me would be) that the whole space travel aspect gets replaced by a new system.

e.g. You walk to your hangar and see your current ship (different ones to aquire, all of them fully customizable inside/outside). You take off manually out of the hangar and into space orbit flying around the planet. You take a seat in the cockpit, select coordinates from map or fly for a waypoint to jump out of system to your destination (either an asteroid field to mine, or a a dynamic battle going on marked on the map, or your guild ship position...)

There could be X-Wing type PvE missions to pick up on mission terminals which give you coordinates getting marked on your star map, so you can jump there. Could be assassination and boarding missions, epic battles with capital ships, defend transport shuttle missions,..

The Return of ELITE !

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

the same company, said, that swtor will never be F2P

they also said, that makeb would be THE BIGGEST FREE DLC IN HISTORY

a lot of players would leave immediately , if they knew that SSSP was way out in a distant future,

or if it was cancelled

as long as the dream is alive, they can still get some more $$

• ThebigthrillThebigthrill Member UncommonPosts: 117
    Originally posted by cura
    Originally posted by FromHell

how will it be and when will it come out?  Will it come out before Star Citizen and Elite (smart move) or not?

Will it be more like a lobby game with "warzones" to queue up (like Moonbreaker or Star Conflict) to shoot some mobs and players or a fully fledged space sim like JTL with lots of systems to explore, mine and trade?

Before anyone says it won´t happen > it already got confirmed, so please only speculate on how it will actually look like

Its not gonna happen if you ask me. They will release content updates like ROHC untill the game shuts and thats it. Noones gonna invest any reasonable amount of money itno this game anymore couse the game isnt successfull enough. Its just bussiness

EDIT: Chat bubbless were also confirmed and they are still not in the game. BW are lying maggots

well said it isnt going tp happen and if it did it would be half assed.

"Don't tell me what to do! , you're not my mod"

Saying invented by me.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Jeff Hickman indicated (or rather hinted) that the SSSP would be some sort of expansion.  Possibly a good move, since so many people want it and are willing to pay anything to get it, myself included.

If it is done correctly it would bring back so many former players who just gave up playing WoW in space, etc..

But that's a big IF, and I sort of feel like it's going to be a lobby type game, PVP match, PVE co-op assault, complete with boundaries.  I have a hunch that my expectations exceed what I'll end up getting.

While additional instances could be tacked on to give further travel distances, I think the Hero variant that EA uses is very limited because it needs to load an entire zone in at once, even places you didn't intend to go to.  In other words, it doesn't seem to allow for seemless technology, or if it can be made to do so, is there anyone left who knows what former employees did to the code..

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Hero Engine can support 3D space combat, but it ain't easy.

I would expect Bioware to take the path of least resistance, which would be to make the space-shooter mini-hame multi-player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To5YvCds2Qg

From a demo from Hero Engine's creators:

Published on Apr 24, 2012

This is a thrown together demo we made for some of our HeroCloud developers who were asking how SWTOR did their space combat. We don't exactly have the in house art resources to make it look as good, so we used our old Heroes Journey assets. It's just 1 texture, some inverted heightmaps, 3 rocks, 2 crysals, a box, and a whole bunch of particle effects. Simple games like these can be made in the HeroEngine with only a couple of scripters and a world builder. And right out of the box, it's online, high scores are being shared between players, and you could easily put multiple players in the same areas, or let them all have their own instances.
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

Well, it won't compare with Star Citizen or Elite: Dangerous, I'm confident of that much.

I really wish a better company had gotten their hands on SW.  It does have potential to be the ultimate setting for an epic MMO, in my opinion.

Originally posted by redcapp

Well, it won't compare with Star Citizen or Elite: Dangerous, I'm confident of that much.

or these projects finally woke BW up from the beauty sleep and they actually got to work on something which will be able to compete.

8 million and 2 million from Crowdfunding for SC, ED.

Is EA broke so they can only come up with a lame rail shooter for the biggest Sci fi IP in the world?

The Return of ELITE !

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Is EA broke so they can only come up with a lame rail shooter for the biggest Sci fi IP in the world?

Yes and no. The question isn't how broke EA is, it's how much they make quarter to quarter. They missed their last guidance target and the CEO was forced to resign.  An indication of EA's current financial mindset is that it just laid off 200 people at their Montreal studio.

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Yeah whatever, Tie Fighter was light years ahead of SWOTR in space combat and that game is as old as dirt.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Panzerbase
    Yeah whatever, Tie Fighter was light years ahead of SWOTR in space combat and that game is as old as dirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK_9yi1Hf_g

with updated graphics and a MMO setting.. would be EPIC...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Agreed, oh the good memories, I loved that series so much. To this day I can still remember some of the missions, tuned to test you to the max. 

Originally posted by Aerowyn

oh wow that was amazing, watched the whole thing. That's how I remember the good old space sims from the past. XWA was really cool. Will try out the multiplayer and available mods. 

Totally Games/ Lawrence Holland, pure Star Wars space sim goodness.

If any reasonable person would make the decisions at EAware, they would have hired him back in 2008 instead of breeding out that railshooter abomination and lame space travel.

The Return of ELITE !

• bugmenobugmeno Member Posts: 85

I think it will be everything from Jump to Lightspeed and much, much more! At least space needs to be really really cool please dear Bioware make it so, your planets are designed too boring I want to be only in space flying around with customizable ship, mining, trading and fighting for territory, capture other ships and enter guild capital ships. Also please let the fleets travel accross the star maps they are supposed to travel not be on a fixed location.Thank you.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    *snip*

Its not gonna happen if you ask me. They will release content updates like ROHC untill the game shuts and thats it. Noones gonna invest any reasonable amount of money itno this game anymore couse the game isnt successfull enough. Its just bussiness

EDIT: Chat bubbless were also confirmed and they are still not in the game. BW are lying maggots

well said it isnt going tp happen and if it did it would be half assed.

I agree. Infact it would probably be better if it didn't happen rather than have some half assed mess that everyone would just complain about paying for.

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283
    Somehow, whenever i hear "SSSP" word "vaporware" comes to my mind first. Cant really put a finger on it ;P
    Originally posted by redcapp

I really wish a better company had gotten their hands on SW.  It does have potential to be the ultimate setting for an epic MMO, in my opinion.

yes, but for who? your epic game? or mine? or the neighbors?

one mans pleasure can be another mans poison

making a modern mmo without autoattack is simply dumb

a clickfest is NOT content

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

They said they would expand upon the space game play. So it's not going to replace the current space missions. I would expect something similar to the current space missions, but maybe "more". The poster mentioning pvp is probably closest to the truth. Dog fighter style combat in a limited space zone. I would not expect any sort of open world environment.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I miss my old Z-95 headhunter.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

Yes and no. The question isn't how broke EA is, it's how much they make quarter to quarter. They missed their last guidance target and the CEO was forced to resign.  An indication of EA's current financial mindset is that it just laid off 200 people at their Montreal studio.

Agree.

And the Montreal lay-offs being in addition to last months Montreal lay-offs. They are also closing their San Paulo studio and have announced the closure of various Facebook games including Sims Online - down to 6M F2P accounts from 10M. So times are tough and having 2M F2P accounts is no guarantee of future funding.

How well Makeb has done financially will be crucial - as the devs said. Makeb's sales will be used to drive the projected revenue figures for any new DLC.

What will happen - in simple terms - is that each studio/division will compile a list of its future projects, what they expect each project to costs, what they expect the projects to earn and what the risks are. This will probably be a rolling activity with quarterly updates There will be reviews at multiple levels and ultimately EA corporate will sign off on the plans. As a result a new Sims xpac and Battlefield 3 map pack may be given the OK but a future SSSP may be turned down.

And if it is turned down it won't be because EA is broke but because they only have a limited amount of money and a wide range of competing projects.  And in this process how well Makeb has done will be pivotal.

did any1 see a makeb sales number?

im guessing at 300-400k, and i dont even think that would cover the price of makeb

Originally posted by simplius

did any1 see a makeb sales number?

im guessing at 300-400k, and i dont even think that would cover the price of makeb

If they had been "earth shatteringly good" I am sure we would have been told.

The expansion is still on sale of course and there could be a "long tail" but the majority of sales are probably now in.

How many: all subscribers seems a reasonable assumption + 5% of active F2P accounts (going on Zynga's stats). So your guess at 300-400k doesn't seem unreasonable if SWTOR still has 250k subscribers.

In the absence of a statement the planned 8 week future updates will probably provide the best clue - maybe not the next one as that was probably already in work before Makeb launched - but the one after that.

the latest numbers was 2 mio new accounts, and 4 mio new characters since F2P

F2Pers get 2 character slots right?

so those numbers do make sense,,how much money they put back in the game, is a different story

Originally posted by simplius

the latest numbers was 2 mio new accounts, and 4 mio new characters since F2P

F2Pers get 2 character slots right?

so those numbers do make sense,,how much money they put back in the game, is a different story

Agree. And how much money they have put back in is the key.

c.5% is the percentage of customers Zynga have been reporting as being responsible for the "majority" of their income - with the other 95% spending very little or nothing.

The 2M F2P sign-ups in 4 months though was probably a disappointment. SWTOR sold more full priced boxes/downloads than that. And compared to other F2P games it is a small number.

To put it into perspective the - soon to be closed - Sims Online's DAU (Daily Active Users) has fallen from 10M to 6M; and presumably it is being closed because those 6M are not spending enough in the cash shop. SWTOR's probably has higher costs that the Sims Online as well.