Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which of these dead MMO titles should not have been shut down

Comments

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    I've never being playing an MMO at the time that its shutdown was announced, so I don't feel right taking part in the poll.
  • tinoberserktinoberserk Member UncommonPosts: 73
    i didn't even know Black Prophecy was shut down. *Crawls back under rock* 
  • ShazzelShazzel Member Posts: 472
    Shadowbane was pretty solid and cost very little to run its 3-4 servers.. SB had its issues though, but mostly from neglect.
  • ShazzelShazzel Member Posts: 472
    Wonder how long i can maintain zero stars, soo try hard.  8 years so far
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

To be honost by now they are too dated. While I still have a certain gamers love for SWG I didn't play the game since 2007. Returning pass 2007 would only make the dissappointed for newer MMO's even greater to me due to the amount of things I could do in SWG that most MMORPG felt so incredible limited in comparison. And still feel very limited compared to what I was once had.

Overall I simply dislike when games getting shutdown, regardless if I like or dislike the game because for every game I might dislike I know for a fact there are more people then me that might still enjoy those games. Sometimes I do understand why they need to be shutdown.

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by doodphace
    My vote is Earth and Beyond, that game was the tits.

That's got my vote. That game was a lot of fun and I don't think there's anything else like it currently.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

SWG and COH should not have been shutdown... They were making money and they had features that you can not find in other MMO titles. Their fanbases were dedicated (even rabid). 

I also wish Shadowbane had done better out of the gates and perhaps it would still be around. 

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

I voted SWG.

That said, I also wish Shadowbane could have been more successful.  Had good times there, and it had a ton of potential. 

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    There are games on the list that I would have liked to have not shut down but everyone of them needed to be shut down. Any MMO that goes beyond 5yrs should be shutdown unless it fits the level of EQ and WOW.
  • AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    SWG, its really a no-brainer, just roll it back to pre-cu 2003 and relaunch it instead of keeping NGE up.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Of those listed, I only played City of Heroes. I did enjoy my time there. Come to think of it, I don't know if there is another MMO that I have enjoyed playing that has shut down. Many have changed their basic game play or mechanics, but that is a different story :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• RingsideRingside Member UncommonPosts: 249
    DARKFALL 1.0 ;(
  • LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    All of them should have been shut down, that is what happens when a game dies.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Livnthedream

not all of them were shutdown because of lack of interest or players.. sometimes its developers screwing up their own game other times it's other factors inside the company that cause problems that lead to closures..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

SWG

So I can play SWTOR not forced to witness all the hate toward it on these forums :)

SWTOR is still a bad game, regardless if SWG was still around or not.

Only thing SWTOR had going for it is the story and voice acting. rest of the game was below par.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Originally posted by Aerowyn

not all of them were shutdown because of lack of interest or players.. sometimes its developers screwing up their own game other times it's other factors inside the company that cause problems that lead to closures..

Niether of those matter. A dead game is dead regardless. Even Coh.

Niether of those matter. A dead game is dead regardless. Even Coh.

what's your point? the OP was a hypothetical question to see what shutdown game people would like back the most

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    If Tabula Rasa would launch TODAY I think it would've been a lot more succesfull, with the "modern" business plans instead of just, cutting it :| Really bad timing for such an amazing game :< 
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

My 1st instinct was to vote for SWG, but then I thought about it. The SWG that was shut down wasn't the SWG I'd want to play. If it was pre CU then it's a no brainer but for the NGE SWG, nah.

So my 2nd choice was E&B, but again, it would need to be supported properly instead of being ignored by EA because they thought they could get everyone to go play Sims online instead. And they destroyed Westwood Studios into the bargain. Yet another great developer to fall victim to EA and their ruthless quest for yet more profits.

what's your point? the OP was a hypothetical question to see what shutdown game people would like back the most

That is actually not what the op said. The op actually implies which one was shut down before its time had come, to which the answer is none of them. There is a reason each and every one of them had the plug pulled, and every single one was valid.

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Did not know City of Heroes was shutdown think my local Walmart still has a few copies. XD

That is actually not what the op said. The op actually implies which one was shut down before its time had come, to which the answer is none of them. There is a reason each and every one of them had the plug pulled, and every single one was valid.

guess that's true he does say should not of been shut down....what's considered valid? if there is enough of a playerbase to keep a game alive and profitable and it closes for other reasons is that not a good enough reason that people should not want the game back?

is a dev destroying their own game by completely changing its core foundations people came to love over the years to the point almost no one wants to play instead of just polishing up and fixing the problems that were there then shutting it down valid reason for people? 

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by Sephiroso
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

SWG

So I can play SWTOR not forced to witness all the hate toward it on these forums :)

SWTOR is still a bad game, regardless if SWG was still around or not.

Only thing SWTOR had going for it is the story and voice acting. rest of the game was below par.

But again, there would still be less hate on SWTOR because people would be distracted with SWG.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• aranhaaranha Member UncommonPosts: 171

Fury had amasing potential and kicked ass!

Shadowbane is my second pick and honestly SWG just begged to die after the big casualization!

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

I actually picked MXO even though I knew SWG (though it was hands down the buggiest MMO I have ever played) would win this poll.  However I hope it's for pre-NGE.  As for MXO, I was probably one of the few that liked the interlock combat system they had.  It was kind of a cool, cinematic, quasi-turnbased, sort-of-strategic mechanic that was fun to watch.  Specially when bullet time would randomly kick in.  However the overall game was one of the worst offenders of repetitive gameplay.  That was actually the first MMO I have ever heard doing a "live story" arc. Too bad the Wachowski,..umm ...siblings didn't stick with continuously writing the story.  I actually liked the character developement/progression as well.

So yeh, TLDR: I voted for MXO for giggles and becuase I liked the combat.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor