Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DEFIANCE Angry Joe Review - Spot on.

Comments

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    I find it really funny that even the good reviews are fillied with numerous caveats.
  • RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Not too fond of his angry character, but I love the fact that for once someone uses the whole 1-10 scale. Usually anything below 8 is bad...who cares that the scale is 1-10.
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Volgore
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

That seems like the score it is getting from most of the reviewers. 5/10.

Don't forget that all these sites aren't legit for whatever reason. First Gamespot, then IGN, Eurogamer, PC Gamer, AJ...

I can't wait for what score Defiance will get on this page. I guess mmorpg.com will either give it a 8+ or dodge a final score due to "ongoing review in progress, trion patching alot so subject is matter to change".

Obviously.

All negative reviews = non legit

All positive reviews = extremely credible and legit.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

As long as YOU ENJOY THE GAME, it doesn't matter!

Reviews are just there so people can make a more educated purchase decision.

I love some games that aren't perfect: Vindictus, Blacklight: Retribution, Prototype, etc.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• mutantmagnetmutantmagnet Member Posts: 274

Originally posted by BrownAle
    I mean there was actually no game play or really game related content in the guys video.Spends the whole video trashing the lore, which is fine since theres not much out there right now anyway.Shows a bug that...well i dont know looks bad but has never happend to me, not sure if thats been fixed...i think it has though Then goes on to be angry about patcher error, i would be if it had happend to me i guess.Then complains about not knowing much and the tie in being short, like he doesnt realize the tv show hasnt started, only he does. And then...well he complains about the data recorders being hidden. Ok.  Step back and look at what the guy trashed.  Doesnt like the scifi lore obviously, not a fan of the races in the lore.  Hates patcher error (who wouldnt though?)  Doesnt like that the Tie in before the show starts is significant.  Hates exploring for lore. If this is gamebreaking for you please dont play. On a side note.  Isnt a review, or shouldnt a review of the game like...cover the game and gameplay (which i think is outstanding)?Doesnt this strike anyone as odd how nothing that was reviewed has much to do with the game itself?  I mean i get this is going to aid haters in proving the game sucks and they are right to hate it.  I get thats why the post was made.  But i mean at least pawn this off as a review on defiance lore and logging in / character creation. Just because the game doesnt give you every bit of lore right off the bat with a 4 hour movie or whatever doesnt make the game shit.  Perhaps he will watch the show and play bit more of the game, include the mechanics and actual gameplay, and then trash the game itself not what seems to be a rushed review with no substance regarding the actual game.  Hell he couldnt even reproduce the graphic bug and had to use someone elses video of the ATV going under ground.  Doesnt that seem strange to do? I know people are going to hate the game, but this review...its not even a review of the game defiance... Oh and i hate the big forhead race too, seems to ruin what i suspect to be some really fine looking girls lol. Anyway, even if this guy were to make a fawning review of the game, if he did it in the same manner as he made this "review" i wouldnt be interested.  Theres plenty of people who actually review games and you leave their youtube channel with a good feel for the game, and a good idea as to what to expect.  This viedo is more about him yelling and swearing and when he rand out of things to yell about the video ends.  Wouldnt watch this guy again if this is how all his videos are, and probably a reason ive never heard of him before. 
    That's impressive you took so much time to write this post and yet you clearly couldn't be bothered to watch the rest of the review after the 12 minute mark.

Your post is accurate for a bit below 40% of the video. But for 17 minutes he focuses on the actual gameplay.

He was thorough unlike you.

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

Don't forget that all these sites aren't legit for whatever reason. First Gamespot, then IGN, Eurogamer, PC Gamer, AJ...

I can't wait for what score Defiance will get on this page. I guess mmorpg.com will either give it a 8+ or dodge a final score due to "ongoing review in progress, trion patching alot so subject is matter to change".

Obviously.

We get it dude, you have issues with the game. You come into every thread that has anything positive to say about the game and post your constructive criticisms lol. I personally can't see myself spending so much time in a games forums I have so many issues with but hey that's just me.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• TheKrautTheKraut Member Posts: 48

Spot on review of a game that's fun to log on and mindlessly shoot shit for 20 minutes but has zero depth/immersion/social aspects as a MMO.

First time I've watched a AJ review, but he said practically EVERYTHING I thought or thought I was missing when I started playing the game; I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Average is by far the best way to describe this game.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Lazarus71

Obviously.

We get it dude, you have issues with the game. You come into every thread that has anything positive to say about the game and post your constructive criticisms lol. I personally can't see myself spending so much time in a games forums I have so many issues with but hey that's just me.

I think you missed the part where i said that i agree with angry joe that game is 5/10 and also you missed the part where i said it is a good MMO for couple of hours of fun every now and then. But unless i praise Defiance to the heavens you won't be satisfied and till then you will continue to target me.

I am used to people like you attacking me. So no biggie. I have played a lot of average MMOS and i still play them every now and then. And i thought the whole purpose of forums was to discuss issues. 

But the post that you just quotes had nothing to do with issues of the game but warped thinking of fans that all negative and average reviews are ciritcs looking for hand outs from the company. Where as all positive reviews are critics with integrity.

Please stick to discussing games next time instead of discussing me.. thank you.

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

Some people have issues letting go that some people like games they dislike. 

Yeah i certainly wouldnt spend all day on a game forums for a game i thought was bad or barely average.  I guess some have different agendas regarding games (which is really sad, its a game...entertainment...)

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by BrownAle

Some people have issues letting go that some people like games they dislike. 

Yeah i certainly wouldnt spend all day on a game forums for a game i thought was bad or barely average.  I guess some have different agendas regarding games (which is really sad, its a game...entertainment...)

There is difference between hating something or having issues. You are saying that people who consider Defiance to be an average MMO shouldn't hang around on forums to discuss about it? i haven't seen anyone spewing pure hate towards Defiance yet. Maybe you should visit SWTOR and GW2 forums if you want to see real dislike and hate.

People who have issues with the game have as much right as those who are head over heels in love with it. I don't know how many times this has to be brought up.

This is not a fansite. And peple with both positive and negative views are welcome here. And if you can not deal with it then it is your problem.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    I was laughing so hard I could barely breathe at this part: http://youtu.be/JZz_KKGpgfk?t=12m54s when 3 mobs kept coming out of the building. I like how he goes in depth and by the end of the review even if you don't agree with him you have plenty of information on whether to pull the trigger.
  • Total_HuntTotal_Hunt Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by DeaconX

I have to say, Angry Joe and I seem to share opinions on just about everything.  If you've never watched his reviews before, I'd say it's definitely worth the time because he likes to go in-depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZz_KKGpgfk

Every issue he brings up, I posted in every survey during the beta.

Overall, there is some pew pew fun to be had but it's definitely not for everyone and not going to keep players looking for more than the gunplay which is a bit of a shame, given this is supposed to be a chance for players to be a part of this new universe they're crafting with the TV series.

Speaking of the TV series, I really hope it's much better than this game turned out to be.

Couldn't read pas your profile picture xD

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by DMKano

AngryJoe , I actually met him and talked to him in RL. You have to understand that his fans like lots of angry harsh criticism, otherwise nobody would be watching him.

I don't think so. He's obviously knowledgeable and he does have good points. He doesn't have to rely on the crutch of his shtick to get watched, which is why I don't watch his videos anymore. The routine gets old and dilutes the message.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Monday the show will put Angry Joe and all else that seem to have a greivence with the game to rest cause trust me the show not only serves humbe pie to all the na sayers to all the warnings to all the angry posters buy After Monday the game will have more players because of the show.image

Originally posted by Isturi
    Monday the show will put Angry Joe and all else that seem to have a greivence with the game to rest cause trust me the show not only serves humbe pie to all the na sayers to all the warnings to all the angry posters. After Monday the game will have more players because of the show.image

Saw the show from Amazon and it kicks ass but i doubt it is going to have any effect on the game and reviews. And so far critics have not said anything bad about the show so i don't see how it is a humble pie for them.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Monday the show will put Angry Joe and all else that seem to have a greivence with the game to rest cause trust me the show not only serves humbe pie to all the na sayers to all the warnings to all the angry posters. After Monday the game will have more players because of the show.

Did you actually watch the whole review? He's not just a mindless naysayer. He found several good points about the game and in fairness gave them their due. His negatives he backed up with examples for all to see. I don't have Syfy, and the clips I've seen so far aren't inspiring me to run to the phone and get it hooked up.

Originally posted by Scottgun
    Monday the show will put Angry Joe and all else that seem to have a greivence with the game to rest cause trust me the show not only serves humbe pie to all the na sayers to all the warnings to all the angry posters. After Monday the game will have more players because of the show.

Did you actually watch the whole review? He's not just a mindless naysayer. He found several good points about the game and in fairness gave them their due. His negatives he backed up with examples for all to see. I don't have Syfy, and the clips I've seen so far aren't inspiring me to run to the phone and get it hooked up.

Amazon has the show right now for free.

Originally posted by Scottgun

Amazon has the show right now for free.

Free? SOLD! Thanks.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Alright, how to pick apart this idiots review.

Okay so, apparently this guy hasn't been around for a major video game launch.  As we all know there are patcher and server stability issues for the first few days, no matter how big or experienced the company is.  How many games can you guys name that have had flawless launches?  There aren't many, if any.  I certainly haven't seen one.  From what I know, the patcher issue is squashed and the servers are stable and not crashing any more.  So what is this game complaining about now?

Trion admitted it's flaws and has given all players several boosts and a new title in-game for our troubles.  Those boosts cost real money, so it's basically free money that they have given all of us.  How many companies do that?  Not many.

Falling Skies and Defiance do NOT have the same premise, this guy is just flat out lying with that statement.  I just needed to point that out, as I don't want people do believe that Defiance is copying another show.  

I also wanted to comment on his jab at the character creation.  He then goes to say how he made a character that looks just like him, or, a 'good approximation'.  My roommate said the same thing, and his character looks exactly like him.  My character didn't quite turn out how I hoped, but I can live with it.  It's a shooter, no one is paying attention to your face.  Either way, I'm sure character creation will be expanded.  We know the cash shops have headgear and outfits to further distinguish between players.  So hopefully all these things will look into.  

He then goes to insult the storyline of Nolan and Irisi, which I felt to be pretty fun.  He says we didn't learn anything.  Well, the show hasn't even launched yet.  We do know that Nolan has a past that he doesn't want publicly known, so it must not be good.  He obviously has something to hide.  We know he was part of the Defiant Few in the battle of Defiance.  We know that he is an Ark Hunter along with his adopted daughter.  We know that she's a bit grumpy, which is obvious from the trailer that SyFy released earlier this month.  So from my opinion, they have done a pretty good job introducing the characters and giving a few tid bits of knowledge to make us want to know more.  He says that the game makes you feel disconnected from the show.  Interesting.  You've met the mutants, the hellbugs, the raiders and cyborgs, the dark matter... Which I'm guessing all play a major role in the TV series.  What else does this guy want?  OF COURSE it leaves you asking questions that are going to be answered by the TV series, they are intertwined.  That's the whole point of partnering these two products.  It appears like his is just another generation now kid who wants everything answered immediately.  Have some damn patience dude, let the game and show evolve with one another.

And that was in the first five minutes of the review.  I don't think I can keep listening.  He's clearly just a complaining idiot.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

I mean, he's saying the story is boring.  It's not going to change.  Mind it, this is literally a prelude to the show launching.  How many MMO's have stories?  Not many, but the fact that this has a story is bad?  Interesting.  I personally enjoy doing the missions.  If you actually read the mission text and listen to your EGO in the game, you'll gain a LOT of knowledge.  Again, a typicaly 'I want it all now' attitude.  The voice acting is fine.  Then he becomes incredibly RACIST by saying that Jon Coopers voice doesn't fit with the character.  That it seems out of place.  What did you want Angry Joe?  A really deep sounding voice who can't speak proper english?  He thought it sounded like a white guy (Cooper is black) and that it shouldn't sound like that. As if all black guys should sound a certain way.  How does a 'black guy' sound Angry Joe?  Racist much?

This guy oozes 'I'm really trying hard to sound cool'.. I can't even get half way through it.  I'm done.  It's not a real review.  It's just some loser blogger trying to sound cool by pissing and moaning about the smallest insignificant things about the game.  Not to mention sounding stupid, racist and ignorant all at the same time.

Sorry, I tried.  Seriously OP, you enjoyed this BS?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by DAS1337

And that was in the first five minutes of the review.  I don't think I can keep listening.  He's clearly just a complaining idiot.

You know, I just listned to the whole review, and it's really not a bad review.

He does mention things he doesn't like, and one's mileage may vary on those points, but he actually likes quite a bit in the game.

He likes the arkfalls, he says there is tons of content, he indicates they got combat and "loot" right.

I think his real issue is the tie in with the show. He does say he never felt like he had to "buy" anything and says lockboxes can be bought by in game currency.

he did say that even though he didn't enjoy things such as the story, characters, quests and acting  he did feel like he was compelled to play (odd comment) so there were things that drew him in such as the combat, addictive modifiable weapons.

As with any review, one should listen to the reviewer and their comments and then decide what is pertinent.

He gave it 5 out of 10. Not sure if from what I've been seeing if he really meant that number, espeically if he felt compelled to play. He also knows that Trion will update it regularly.

He indictates the game might be worth visiting in 5 weeks.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I have seen him before and i admit he is good at what he does but i think he was stretching it at times.

The Hell bugs look really good imo and the NPC and voice overs seem good.I see better detail than for example SWTORa game that SHOULD have been done on an EPIC scale.Just from an outsiders viewpoint,i think the complaints of smallish and rushed are legit with this game.The rest of it seems not too bad imo,but only based on what i have seen which isn't a lot.

As to hiding the story line in hidden logs,i also see no problem with that either.Actually MANY a movie likes to toss twists and keep the actual main plot a secret or twist it so you are thinking in a  different direction.So as long as there is actuall ya story tro be told,i have no problem with the way this game does it.

His opening however did touch on soemthing importanmt and soemtrhing that bothers me with the current trends.

That trend is FAKE BEta and more so these gimmicks called Beta weekend EVENTS !.The purpose of a Beta and the reason you have a NDA is to invite peopel that are there to hel pyour game with bug reports and feedback.

This is more about Trion,a game's code does not write itself,the game does not release itself.They did NOT utilize a proper Beta,they rushed it out immediately after the EVENT weekends.Since the move is yet to be released,there was obviously no RUSH to get this out yet,yet that is exactly what they did.

It is also important becuase it leads to MANY other aspects of how a developer runs it's business.By rushing out a product you end up with what Joe did,3 days of can't update/patch login.Also it means you msot likely left unfinished content out or did not give the game the time it needs.

This plays out even further because msot realize that Trion recently well about 2 months now licensed the rights to Archeage.So will AA receive the same rushed beta?We have seen absolutley zero advertising for AA by Trion,so are they really interested in the product.or took the rights to keep from having it out market it's own portfolio?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by DAS1337

If you had any point to make it got lost with the first line. 

Calling people with different opinions idiots is just immature.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

I dont think games should be reviewed just after a week after launch. Why you ask?

Good question. Because it is not fair since when has any MMO game in the past 2 years for that matter had a smooth launch? Any of them had bugs after launch? No need to run down a list because Angry Joy attempted to do such, and fail. It takes REAL reviewer to allow the game to have time to allow the DEVs to fix its launch mistakes. That is the prob gamers expect instent gratification. Gamers forgot to slow down and smell the vitural roses.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I actually enjoy his reviews, though some are flawed (Gw2 10/10 with its noteable flaws yet Bioshock Infinite getting a 9/10? What? Neither deserves a 10/10 but seriously...) its entertaining for sure and actually isn't bad a good deal of the time when personal bias doesn't come into play (aka GW2). 

I found his review to be alright. I feel its a bit hampered down with its launch issues which, in some parts defiance did have quite a bit, granted every game does have their own no matter what people say (I'm looking at you fanbois from a certain 'guild' game focused on 'wars' who claimed it ran smoothly despite crashes and other issues right off and whole zones bugging almost fully out with nearly every event.) so eh. His bias did play part in the score for sure though it was entertaining enough to actually not get dug into the ground.

In the end personal bias can effect anyone and his reviews are still entertaining. Not his best review mind you but it did a good job with what it did do. It was entertaining and did have good form behind it.