Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Star Wars: The Old Republic: 'Rise of the Hutt Cartel' First Impressions

2»

Comments

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    if you compare the price of the dlc in DCUO and SWToR "digital expansion", you will see in dcuo subscribers don't have to pay for dlc and for non sub they cost only 9.99$, but in SWToR; this so called "digital expasion" is coming with nearly same(if not less) content as DCUO dlc but subscribers have to pay 9.99$ for it to play and it is also priced 19.99$ for non sub. so no this "digital expansion" is not on par with dcuo dlc at all. it is shameful to see a trash company like PWE is actually stepping up their game and doing better job than BW these days.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I think very few games these days offer the content level you would expect when you hear the word "expansion" and that’s a shame as it's become little more than a marketing term used to make people think they are getting more than they really are. For me it was clear from the start that ROTHC is little more than a DLC pack and is priced accordingly. I’m interested to see a review of it and what people think after they hit 55.

• Segun777Segun777 Jade Dynasty CorrespondentMember Posts: 97

Hello Mr. Bitton,

I wonder if MMORPG.com would institute a +1 feature where we could like a story. I know the comment section rapidly degrades in a big ball of whine often enough. I want to let the writers know stories that were enjoyable without being lost in the 'I hate this game' comment section. My two cents.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by SBFord

Keep in mind, I haven’t been able to dig deep enough into the expansion content just yet.

I think this must be a reviewer fail from Mike. How can you review a game that you aren't really interested in enough to play for say even an entire evening. I mean a first impression should be after, say, a weeks play of an mmo, with the full review coming after a significant amount of playing time. SWTOR is estimated in free-to-play form to have a million players, albeit with a range of active playtimes as one expects from F2P model mmos.

That all written, I, myself, find it hard to be enthusiastic about this expansion. It is more a DLC than a real-deal old school mmo expansion. Yes DLC-style expansions may be the way to go with F2P model mmos. It gives the game progression and generates revenues, but, it really isn't inter-galactic conflict between Republic and Sith on the epic Scale. Just Hutt gangster stuff. A pass for me as I wait for TESO and possibly XIV on console too, depending on my available play schedule.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Love the people with a lot of free time, talking about a game that they dont even play, and still they really believe that they know more about swtor that the people who is actually playing. 

it is just new trend,agreed, most of haters have no idea what they talking about

• ThebigthrillThebigthrill Member UncommonPosts: 117
    Pathetic they charge subs for such a small content update

"Don't tell me what to do! , you're not my mod"

Saying invented by me.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Drakephire
    I hate these xpaks where my money essentially subsidizes raid play. They throw the solo and small group players a few bones and expect you to pony up your dollars to pay for the cadillac raid content that others will enjoy.

Yep, that's why I don't play raid focused games anymore.  Doesn't leave much to play, but then again, there's not much worth playing in the genre either.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    I'm confused as to why they open it up on a Sunday and not Friday or Saturday. Give us the weekend to play and experience the new content. I wasn't able to purchase the expac for early entry, missing it by a couple of days, because if work. Feels weird to open it up on a Sunday, missing the Saturday play time (for all the weekenders that is).
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

You know, I've got just about every MMO (that's on the radar that matters) and every expansion except the latest LOTRO one and this.

Now, I think I was one of those guys who liked SWTOR a lot more than most.. but it still didn't cut the mustard. I don't think it was a disaster but I did think it was a bit pointless. But when someone like me, someone who owned MOP for a month before even trying it, someone who still has an unopened copy of AoC:RotGS, someone who just buys it ALL anyway... when someone like me doesn't even look twice at an expansion, you know they fucked up.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355
    This expansion sucks I just cancelled my swtor account, tons of people cheated to 55, I just got there and the gear looks terrible, lvl 50-55 gave me all of 1 new power that is OK at best and gear is useless in PvP now. Bioware was supposed to deliver a reason to keep playing, they gave me a reason to leave

Mystery Bounty

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

Rise of the Hutt Cartel gives you,

Approx 30 hours of questing on Markab (15 hrs per faction) with fully voiced quests.

1 new operation

4 level 55 hard mode flashpoints

2 new side exploration thingies with Macrobinoculars and Seeker Droid

+ everything else that comes with patch 2.0 which is available to everyone even if they don't by the expansion.

Now judge for yourself if that is worth $10.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor

Approx 30 hours of questing on Markab (15 hrs per faction) with fully voiced quests.

1 new operation

+ everything else that comes with patch 2.0 which is available to everyone even if they don't by the expansion.

Don't forget the 'Holo-Hutt' (The Dr. Oggurobb Hutt Holostatue); so now you can say 'yes!' when someone asks:

"Is that a Hutt in your pocket or are you happy to see me?"

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Originally posted by Instigator-Jones

Don't forget the 'Holo-Hutt' (The Dr. Oggurobb Hutt Holostatue); so now you can say 'yes!' when someone asks:

"Is that a Hutt in your pocket or are you happy to see me?"

And as hutts are hermaphrodites it works for everyone!

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    It does worry me being a 'small' expansion with a level cap raise, if its going to trivialize the old content while giving barely anything worth wild for players to 'advance' with. Could easily cut that 'end game' content down vastly if its going to make an expansion thats very small. Even if its at a cheap price,  it could end up tarnishing the game more then helping it if its leaving players with even less to do then before that feels 'worth wild'.

I agree.  btw, its worthwhile.  one word :)

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

1 new operation

It's not the 10 bucks for me. It's the fact that this expansion actually changes the endgame content, reducing it to 4 FP's and 1 Operation. People will get bored extremely fast. The "increased level cap, everything you own you can throw away" themepark model is bad enough as it is, not many good things can happen if you bring new "endgame content" which, in quantity, is about 30% of the old endgame content.

• DeeterDeeter Member UncommonPosts: 135
    What's the point of subbing to a game if you still have to pay for small DLC packs if you don't want to be behind everyone else who does?
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Love the people with a lot of free time, talking about a game that they dont even play, and still they really believe that they know more about swtor that the people who is actually playing. 

it is just new trend,agreed, most of haters have no idea what they talking about

lol did the game become sooo different? No, it's the same as it was. The same myriad poor design issues are still there but with an expansion now.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by simmihi

1 new operation

It's not the 10 bucks for me. It's the fact that this expansion actually changes the endgame content, reducing it to 4 FP's and 1 Operation. People will get bored extremely fast. The "increased level cap, everything you own you can throw away" themepark model is bad enough as it is, not many good things can happen if you bring new "endgame content" which, in quantity, is about 30% of the old endgame content.

But, it's an expansion.

Every expansion should include equal to or more content than what was previously avilable.

OMFG EA screwed up and the new expansion means less to do for players?  This has to be the first time EA screwed up, because everything else they do is gold :D

How many EA employee's does it take to screw in a good game?

3 - one accountant, one marketer, one lawyer ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, to properly screw, lie, and maintain lying for the general populace. 

[Actually 4, because someone turns the [good game] for then,  The 4th person makes minimum wages., thats the internal double joke, and they're being fired tomorrow anyways]

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Has the actual story telling improved in a way that they no longer use those fake looking colored doorways to block your movement?It is important to me,becuase it ruins immersion badly when it looks unrealistic.Those colored doorways are not needed,i have played MANY a storyline in games and never seen it done like that before,ONLY in single player games.

and I thought I am the only one who hates these red and green door barriers and pop up messages.

It feels lazy.

• jmalminjmalmin Member UncommonPosts: 44
    small cloaked ship... reallly. The Empire strikes. The million falcon tricks a star destroyer by landing on it. The commander of the star destroyer says. No small craft has a cloaking device. The clone wars.. only a experimental freighter had a cloaking device which was used to transport supplies... Come on dont ruin the game by breaking Lore.
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    I think mentioning the destabilization of the core is a spoiler. I, personally, am bored with the game before the exp, took a break and played the empire without any idea what to expect. Finding out the core was unstable was a major surprise to the story and made the story aspect enjoyable.

But other than that, npcs move a bit more than usual but still feels static without day/night cycles or random/dynamic events. In fact the areas are smaller in makeb so once a person clears the area it feels very average and the art of not being cartoony or realistic and thus in between without looking pretty becomes a negative.

Its well priced the expansion, but badly timed. It should have been released with the secret space project, but i guess going f2p affected them tremendously which means we should be resetting expectations since otherwise that is over year since releaee and this is the expansion which would suggest the content for the future of similar size. Its not reassuring, and i think things like SSSP are being ignored in future development, and that is something that is making me stick with swtor despite this small and well priced patch. And pazaak and swoop racing of course. The other additions would be nice, but im tired of hoping for swtor to do great things when they seem they have more than they can chew.

So, imo, good factional story empire side. And dont have any spoilers since that surprise really made it enjoyable to lvl. Also it being quick enough was enjoyable to focus on the story for content.

End game grind, im not bothering with that. Too much effort for little reward, and its rinse and repeat. But thats just me, since ops in swtor are very well done and is a nice reward but to get there requires more effort than i want to put in e.g. redoing old fps, dailies grind etc. which i am guessing is a week or two of hm fp daily to get the gear for ops. Maybe more. Just to put in perspective how uninterested i am, but maybe worthwhile for others.

Partly my lack of interest grew with missing features, and a lifeless static world lacking depth and complexity. Im not asking for a sand box, per se ( something towards that sure) but if its going to be a theme-park, well the rides are not fun to ride over and over for me so thats a problem. For example WZ needs a new mechanic, and not just what feels like a new map. The latest iteration still feels like other capture point WZ, and hutt ball is a good example of something different.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”