Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: A Letter to Mr. Appleton

Comments

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Originally posted by Amana

Guys, plain calling out fellow members of this community, even if they are the subject of the editorial, is not cool. What is fine is disagreeing or expressing opinions about details, but personally flaming others is against the rules here and will be removed. If you have an opinion on the situation or the editorial, go right ahead. 

Your website called him out though and we are responding to your call out. Did you really think that this article wouldn't end up in a flame war?

There is difference between calling someone out and just hurling abuses at him. A lot of posts have been removed by mods because it was getting nasty.

• fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125
    The backers of this project are probably experiencing some massive cognitive dissonance right now. Damn, I feel kind of bad for them. On the other hand, all this drama is just too juicy! Honestly, for that reason alone I'm excited for the release of this game. Give us a good show Appleton old chap!
  • pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

I wonder what the world would be like if you were held accountable for some text message you made when you were 17 when you were applying for a job 10 years later.  "I'm sorry sir, but based on a comment you made 10 years ago, we cannot, in good conscience, offer you this position."  "But I was just 17 and goofing around online."  "Unfortunately it was documented electronically and as such is a statement of fact.  You should have chosen your words more wisely, you are accountable for them for as long as they exist in a written or verbal form.  Good day, sir."

Perhaps, just perhaps, as a society, we're taking the written/spoken word a bit too far...

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    [mod edit]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by pmiles

I wonder what the world would be like if you were held accountable for some text message you made when you were 17 when you were applying for a job 10 years later.  "I'm sorry sir, but based on a comment you made 10 years ago, we cannot, in good conscience, offer you this position."  "But I was just 17 and goofing around online."  "Unfortunately it was documented electronically and as such is a statement of fact.  You should have chosen your words more wisely, you are accountable for them for as long as they exist in a written or verbal form.  Good day, sir."

Perhaps, just perhaps, as a society, we're taking the written/spoken word a bit too far...

It sounds like you're caught up in all this 21st century fad of public self-exposure. I shake my head at some of the shit people put up in facebook, instagram, etc., using their real names. I'm sure glad everyone didn't have a cheap camera in their pocket when I was at some of my HS and College parties.

Despite FB, Twitter and all other social media, there's still "public" and "private." Public is out there for the world to see and, yes, they will judge you.

Even some of the things you think might be private, may not always stay that way. If it's a private written record, photograph, or video where you can be identified, that also may come back to bite you.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I was actually interested in this game until I researched information about Mr. Appleton. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207
    Originally posted by Mogus

Victor, your article was well written and recieved. I come from the school of earning ones respect, not blind respect. I've never been the guy to poke fun at disabled children or people who couldn't defend themselves. I was the guy defending them. The internet is a very different place where people in the position of development are expected to be flamed, trolled, lied about and the like while simply bowing and saying thank you, otherwise, they are branded as bad business men, arrogant and any other derogatory title. I simply don't agree with this and I can't pretend to for the sake of my "reputation". The fact remains, I'm honest, very hard working and we are making great leaps of progress on Greed Monger and that progress alone should be what the public uses to establish their opinions on Greed Monger, not how I personally handle an endless list of tirades, slander, defamation and insults all of which are baseless and unfounded that honestly shouldn't be so freely allowed on anywebsite targeting anyone, let alone me.

I appreciate your letter and I'm sure you are very accurate in how things are in the anonymous mosh pit of mmorpg discussion forums, however, that doesnt mean I or anyone should just accept it for what it is and deal with it. It needs to change. I've always said, those who point the finger the most are often the ones with the most to side. It's just how it is in the real world.

Thank you for your letter.

Mr. Appleton, I don't know you or your game.  Nor do I care about either of you, one way or the other.  If you come from the world of MMA, then you should consider MMO forums like the trashtalking, pre-fight banter between two fighters.  It's going to get heated.  It's going to get personal.  At the end of the day, it's put up or shut up.  If you're a fighter, you don't threaten a lawsuit against the other fighter for talking smack.  You shut them up in the ring/octogon/cage.  You prove them wrong.  And that's exactly what you have to do, or try to do, with your game.  The game is your fists in this fight.  How well it turns out will be the determining factor here.  Not threatening lawsuits.  To the many keyboard commandos of the forum world, threatening to sue is just ammunition.  To them, it's justification for their criticisms and attacks.  To them, it says "I can't back up my claims with results, so I'm going to use the courts to shut them up."  And quite frankly, you lack the financial resources to go after every person that will say negative things about you on the internet. 

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479

For someone supposedly from an MMA background and owner/president of a fledgling company , this Appleton fellow sure comes across as a big whiner/windbag.

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

Mogus you really do come accross as a numpty.

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    forgot to say, come get me :P

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    Originally posted by Mogus

Victor, your article was well written and recieved. I come from the school of earning ones respect, not blind respect. I've never been the guy to poke fun at disabled children or people who couldn't defend themselves. I was the guy defending them. The internet is a very different place where people in the position of development are expected to be flamed, trolled, lied about and the like while simply bowing and saying thank you, otherwise, they are branded as bad business men, arrogant and any other derogatory title. I simply don't agree with this and I can't pretend to for the sake of my "reputation". The fact remains, I'm honest, very hard working and we are making great leaps of progress on Greed Monger and that progress alone should be what the public uses to establish their opinions on Greed Monger, not how I personally handle an endless list of tirades, slander, defamation and insults all of which are baseless and unfounded that honestly shouldn't be so freely allowed on anywebsite targeting anyone, let alone me.

I appreciate your letter and I'm sure you are very accurate in how things are in the anonymous mosh pit of mmorpg discussion forums, however, that doesnt mean I or anyone should just accept it for what it is and deal with it. It needs to change. I've always said, those who point the finger the most are often the ones with the most to side. It's just how it is in the real world.

Thank you for your letter.

Get over yourself man, I thought you were a tough guy coming from the MMA business.

"Booohooo they pick on me"

This guy even claim to have invented spinner rims, I couldn't stop laughing when I read that.

MMORPG shouldnt have removed the greed monger forum, he threatens to sue everyone who says anything negative about him, and even says he'll be using Kickstarter money to do it.

But then again, he never actually sue anyone, he just think he can bully his way through everything and act the victim while doing it.

You're a whimp.. sue me.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    None of you guys have quoted any of my posts. Legally, that's harassment through neglect. I will be contacting you all shortly through my attourney.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

PieRad "I thought you were a tough guy coming from the MMA business."..

That's really an issue, that mindset there.. Big bad muscles are not present on the internet, and you are judged more over how you can adapt to the mental side of your "communication" skills..

Asking someone "If they even lift, bro" is bound to get you laughed at more than anything online, and if big 'baff" muscleman can't handle that, then he is not the "complete" warrior after all..

Jason, you shouldn't take it personally.. Even if Dana White came on here about an MMORPG he was developing, no matter how big and tough he looks in photos or his abusive language in interviews, if someone would have objections to his claims they would put him to the same "sword"..

On the internet, everyone is even.. Everyone equally "dangerous" in that regard.. Dealing with trolls is much like a martial art, takes some time and dedication to truly master and those who rush it or use simply for offense will instead become a troll themselves.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

Im sorry but making a WHOLE article calling out a member of the MMORPG.com community is plain wrong. You are not doing any good here. You are just stirring up more trouble. I was initially a huge fan of GM then took a step back to look at whats happened. I think the game has a lot of potential but the attitude of Jason could use some work.

But making a whole article devoted to him isnt gonna help anything. Its gonna stir up more shit and cause even more problems. MMORPG.com you just made it a HELL of a lot worse.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Im sorry but making a WHOLE article calling out a member of the MMORPG.com community is plain wrong. You are not doing any good here. You are just stirring up more trouble.

He is not a mere "member"- he is a game company CEO who threatened to sue members here and threatened to sue at least 2 websites (including this one) and threatened to sue a plethora of other people using Kickstart money.

-It isnt like he was some random poster here- he was promoting a game and asking for our money and support- Then when  facts started coming out and his own posts (from ther boards) were linked to showing the History of this game- he started screaming "lawsuit" and threatening to contact peoples emplyers, etc...etc...etc... THEN he comtacted MMORPG.com and threatened them with a lawsuit unless they removed the negative comments here- THEN when someone asked why the entire sub forum was gone, MMORPG.com gave a statement and the entire thing started over again- THEN we got to this point.

-Thanks.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by Jacxolope
    Im sorry but making a WHOLE article calling out a member of the MMORPG.com community is plain wrong. You are not doing any good here. You are just stirring up more trouble.

He is not a mere "member"- he is a game company CEO who threatened to sue members here and threatened to sue at least 2 websites (including this one) and threatened to sue a plethora of other people using Kickstart money.

-It isnt like he was some random poster here- he was promoting a game and asking for our money and support- Then when  facts started coming out and his own posts (from ther boards) were linked to showing the History of this game- he started screaming "lawsuit" and threatening to contact peoples emplyers, etc...etc...etc... THEN he comtacted MMORPG.com and threatened them with a lawsuit unless they removed the negative comments here- THEN when someone asked why the entire sub forum was gone, MMORPG.com gave a statement and the entire thing started over again- THEN we got to this point.

-Thanks.

MMORPG.com should have just left it alone. When they call out somebody it becomes even more personal. And since we all know how jason reacts its gonna get a HELL OF A LOT WORSE. Im sorry but I just cannot support MMORPG.com this time.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321

Im sorry but making a WHOLE article calling out a member of the MMORPG.com community is plain wrong. You are not doing any good here. You are just stirring up more trouble. I was initially a huge fan of GM then took a step back to look at whats happened. I think the game has a lot of potential but the attitude of Jason could use some work.

But making a whole article devoted to him isnt gonna help anything. Its gonna stir up more shit and cause even more problems. MMORPG.com you just made it a HELL of a lot worse.

this. dont get the purpose of this "article". 

-Thanks.

MMORPG.com should have just left it alone. When they call out somebody it becomes even more personal. And since we all know how jason reacts its gonna get a HELL OF A LOT WORSE. Im sorry but I just cannot support MMORPG.com this time.

-I tend to agree.

I knew how he would react when I read the article- because he has no self control and apparent anger issues.

-That aside- To me, this is funny as hell and couldnt happen to a more deserving guy.

I too was interested in GM but after Appletons outbursts, threats and general shadyness- I would support him with a dime. All he has to do now is produce a game (all he has DONE is made a brand new KS project) and he "wins"- This all goes away. If he cannot produce however...

I think after his threats, this was a brilliant move . I guess we agree to disagree.

Regardeless though- Its entertainment at its finest. =P

-Thanks.

please, kim jong, dont forget that he started with that threatening after some people, i guess it was harper and taus1, gone too far IMO. you act like he started this. he didnt. he was called a scam artist and all of his history was posted and also the request to stop backing him. appleton just handled the whole issue wrong and was digging himself even deeper. but again, he didnt start, i couldnt care less because i am neither interested in the game or his person, but people should get the facts straight. 

Originally posted by mistmaker

-Thanks.

please, kim jong, dont forget that he started with that threatening after some people, i guess it was harper and taus1, gone too far IMO. you act like he started this. he didnt. he was called a scam artist and all of his history was posted and also the request to stop backing him. appleton just handled the whole issue wrong and was digging himself even deeper. but again, he didnt start, i couldnt care less because i am neither interested in the game or his person, but people should get the facts straight. 

=)

you remembered my name . =p

Tom Mistmaker, thepost in question (if memory serves me right) was essentially a collection of his posts on the Unity forum with links and such and commentary about his lack of experience and understanding- Then people saying he was foolish for taking all the KS money and then switching engines (which he has since switched engines again) and him taking KS money for a F2P game (when people said there was no way it could be funded as a F2P and he argued with them) which has also since been changed.

-But taking a step back- The thread where he had his first meltdown here linked to another thread on Wurm Online where he admitted to paying for FB likes and (again, if I remember right) had dupe accounts "to defend him"-

The way I saw it- he was angry as hell that he had been "called out" and "exposed"-But I saw it as him not only starting it- But escalating it and then giving empty threats to everyone "I will use my KS money to sue you all!!!!" (empty because he has sued nobody.

Hell, on his NEW Kickstart project he is threatening to sue a commenter already.

-But this whole thing would have long ago went away has Jason Aplleton not continued to escalate matters with hs self rightious "I am the Victim and I will sue" attitude and white knight statement s "I always stand up for the little guy" and bragging "I invented spinners, was a huge band promoter, MMA guru, etc."- Essentially even his bragging turned out to be not very true as he "promoted" some no name college band but made it sound like he was an MTV exec.

-I dont really care either- I am here for the Lulz.The more it escalates the more lulz I will get (so I have a vested interest in my own entertainment)- I personally feel (about KS) that "let the buyer beware. If someone gets ripped off or loses money- Not my problem or my moneu. I am not going to lie and say "I am here to warn others"- No. I am here for my own selfish entertainment. And I find this very funny and hope he comes here with more threats and bragging.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

-Thanks.

No.

If mmorpg.com left this alone, I wouldn't be aware of the horrors around this guy and his project. The last weeks has been a very busy period in my life, and I haven't been online much because of it, therefore I've missed all the drama around this.

Victor's letter was how I became aware of this, and by following a couple of links in this thread, I got some more info about this. Imo, Victor did the exactly right thing. EVERYONE needs to know the facts around this guy, so they can avoid him, and not waste money on his shady projects.

Thanks, Victor and mmorpg.com, you have my FULL SUPPORT in this matter.

from dish washer to millionaire - the american dream

from pills saler to game developer 

give him the chance! he isnt coding by himself, he hired people. he never lied about that, nor did he say he is a experienced game developer. i would be real happy if a gamer makes a game for gamers and not just for milking the crowd.

he just makes something totally wrong, and this is his communicating part. the rest we see if/when the game is finished.

btw, one of those haters was a 21y old rejected coder. seems more a personal thing.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    A fascinating collision of drama llamas.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• BenezettaBenezetta Member UncommonPosts: 94

I don't know how I ended up in this thread.  But I read some of the links and I gotta say.... I missed a helluva lot of entertainment! 

p.s.  Thanks for posting this, I didn't know who Jason Appleton was prior to tonight and now I know to avoid him like the plague.

• Dexter2010Dexter2010 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Originally posted by Netspook

-Thanks.

No.

If mmorpg.com left this alone, I wouldn't be aware of the horrors around this guy and his project. The last weeks has been a very busy period in my life, and I haven't been online much because of it, therefore I've missed all the drama around this.

Victor's letter was how I became aware of this, and by following a couple of links in this thread, I got some more info about this. Imo, Victor did the exactly right thing. EVERYONE needs to know the facts around this guy, so they can avoid him, and not waste money on his shady projects.

Thanks, Victor and mmorpg.com, you have my FULL SUPPORT in this matter.

This.

Furthermore, what a joke; buying likes on FB to fool the public about the game's popularity! This screams "scam". Glad the hired FB guy took the money and ran. How do KS backers feel about having their money spent this way? The Ideas Guy thought it was a good idea to use KS money for false and improper "marketing". I thought the qualifications and success this Lead Designer bragged about would lead him to make good decisions. I want to know how he promoted fights and bands, I hope he didn't buy likes or attendance.