Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The problem with MMOs these days is developers are making games and not virtual worlds.

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Scot

So all of us are putting forward their gaming agenda, what’s best for gaming. As long as posters are honest about where they stand I see no issue.

There is no such thing as "best for gaming". What is best for me, is probably not best for you.

It is really about market forces.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

Originally posted by lizardbones  

Originally posted by sunshadow21

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Originally posted by Arclan  

Originally posted by nariusseldon A 50M player US market is niche? Where do you get that illusion?   http://www.superdataresearch.com/us-free-to-play-does-it-pay-to-switch/
      That link suggests one out of every six humans in the USA, which includes infants and the elderly, are playing MMOS. Think I'll call BS on that.
    Not suggest .. they outright say it with research. I will trust  marketing company report over some random dude (like you) on the internet. How is so strange about 1/6 humans in the US play MMO? In my house hold, it is 3/4 .. way higher than that.  
    I'm seconding the calling that report BS. They are either using a very loose definition of "play" or "MMO" to get those numbers; either way, it sounds like someone trying to inflate the results. MMOs as a whole may not be niche that they used to be, but they are still largely a niche product. It's a growing niche to be certain, but still a niche when compared to games like Farmville or console games.
    Does anyone besides me realize that 'niche' isn't related to size? A niche market is one that is targeted by a specific product. For instance, there is the MMO market which has a broad range of tastes, but within the MMO market, there is the MMOFPS niche market and Planetside 2 targets the MMOFPS niche market. It doesn't matter how big the MMOFPS market is, just that it's targeted by a specific product. The only way the MMO market can be considered niche is if you lump all MMOs into a single type of product (named MMO perhaps), and the MMO market is a specific niche market within the overall Gaming Market that is targeted by MMOs. It doesn't matter how large the MMO Market is, if you're talking about 'niche'.  
     Hmm I'm not so sure.  Niche, in this case, means a specialized market.  Now likely that does mean a specialized product as well, however a specialized market is smaller than the general market.

If the market in this case is games, MMO"s are a niche.  If the market is MMO's, virtual worlds are a niche.

I guess it all depends  on  what we are considering the market and what we are considering specialized.  They are terms of relativity. 

Niche isn't a relative term. It means a market can be or is targeted by a specific product. The application of the term can be relative, but the using the term based on what it means is not relative.

People are trying to say the MMO market or the Sandbox Market is small by saying it's a niche market. Maybe they want to emphasize that the market is small and it's not going to grow? I don't know. Niche doesn't mean small. The MMO market from a certain perspective can be a Niche Market, but that doesn't mean it's a Small Market.

Look at it like this. The MMO Market is served by many games, hundreds or thousands of them in the world right now. Their are many different kinds of MMOs and they serve a broad range of tastes. Even if the market was one hundred thousand people, there is not single product that serves the market. The only way the MMO Market is a Niche Market is if you lump all MMOs into a single type of product called "MMO". This means all Sandbox and all Themepark games are MMOs and they all serve a single market called the MMO Market. Using this type of reasoning, any market can be a Niche Market. The Food Market is a Niche Market because it is served by a single product called "Food". That means the entire planet's population is included in the niche Food Market.

You're right, the application of the term is relative, but it has nothing to do with size.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Well according to the merrium webseter it means a specialized market, which could mean a product but also means a smaller market than the overall market.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.

Well according to the merrium webseter it means a specialized market, which could mean a product but also means a smaller market than the overall market.

The MMO Market is niche or not depending on how you look at it in relation to the other markets it's related to, not based on how many people play MMOs. The definition doesn't depend on size.

If the MMO Market is a specialized market, then it's a Niche Market. If the MMO Market is not a specialized market, then it's not a Niche Market. Saying the MMO Market is a Niche Market and meaning it's a Small Market doesn't make any sense.

From the perspective of the Gaming Market, the MMO Market is a niche market. From the perspective of the MMOFPS market, the MMO Market is not a niche market, the MMO Market is the broad market within which the specialized MMOFPS market exists. If being niche depended on size, then the MMO Market would be niche regardless of the point of view you used to look at the MMO Market.

If being niche meant being smaller, then the dictionary would say it meant being smaller.

It means that it is smaller than the larger market.   Niche means a specialized market, specialized means concentrating on a small area of a subject (general google) or segment.  Webster says it means highly differentiated especially in a particular direction or for a particular end, or designed, trained, or fitted for one particular purpose or occupation <specialized personnel>.  Hmm neither the webster one applies particularly well, however one particular purpose is a smaller or more narrow purpose than anything else.

The MMO market is niche in the gaming market, as it is smaller than the overall gaming market, it is specialized.

The gaming market is nice, as it is smaller than the overall general market.

The virtual world market is niche, as is the themepark market, because they (individually) are specialized, smaller than the overall market.

Hmm kind of off-topic though.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

It means that it is smaller than the larger market. 

The MMO market is niche in the gaming market, as it is smaller than the overall gaming market, it is specialized.

The gaming market is nice, as it is smaller than the overall general market.

The virtual world market is niche, as is the themepark market, because they (individually) are specialized, smaller than the overall market.

Hmm kind of off-topic though.

Virtually everything is a sub-set of something else.  Doesn't mean we should call nearly everything a niche market.  We can, but it doesn't mean we should.

If you're the 3rd largest video game genre, it seems safe to say you're not a niche market.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Unfortunatley thats what it means.

Anything else is just a personal or a perhaps a connotative meaning which is rarely agreed upon.

• WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by lizardbones

If being niche meant being smaller, then the dictionary would say it meant being smaller.

It does, actually.. Not very clearly in Merriam Webster. But most other dictionaries directly say it refers to something small in atleast one of their definitions. Specificly a small market or how they are paired with synonyms like nook, cranny, or "a small hollow place, especially in a wall to contain a statue, etc, or in the side of a hill"

Ofcourse, when comparing specific markets (niches) to one another, one market can be bigger than another. MMOs are a subsection of a subsection of a market. Entertainment -> Computer Games -> MMOs. And can be concidered small in the grand scheme of things.

Also a niche market is very specific. Meaning that, that market wont be satisfied by anything else. Nor will, what is made for that market, be very desirable to anyone else. 

And that brings us to the problem we keep discussing in these threads. They arent making MMOs for the same market anymore. The definition of an MMO has changed. The same niche still exists. But we arent getting our games.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Phelcher, you are a master of redirection, sir. image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Phelcher

Exactly, why is someone trying to make those^ games popular on this site...  which happens to have a focus on MMORPGs..  

Very weird that "people" keep discussing non-niche games, in a very niche forum.  Wonder why these "people" feign ignorance... even after being told. So weird..  to keep discussing those "other" games.. trying to make those popular, but unable to talk about the non-popular games, the niche MMORPG's..

Makes you wonder why someone post 10,000 times..  and then claim to stand for zero, if anything.

Nicely put

It means that it is smaller than the larger market.   Niche means a specialized market, specialized means concentrating on a small area of a subject (general google) or segment.  Webster says it means highly differentiated especially in a particular direction or for a particular end, or designed, trained, or fitted for one particular purpose or occupation <specialized personnel>.  Hmm neither the webster one applies particularly well, however one particular purpose is a smaller or more narrow purpose than anything else.The MMO market is niche in the gaming market, as it is smaller than the overall gaming market, it is specialized.The gaming market is nice, as it is smaller than the overall general market.The virtual world market is niche, as is the themepark market, because they (individually) are specialized, smaller than the overall market.Hmm kind of off-topic though.

A niche market is the subset of the market on which a specific product is focusing.

A Niche Market exists as the market that a product focuses on. In this sense, the MMO Market is not a Niche Market because there is no one product that focuses on the entire MMO Market. Products are defined by their market niche, market niches do not exist without products.

* A niche market is also a small market segment. In this sense the MMO Market might be a Niche Market if it is a small market segment of another market. You'd have to define what 'small' means to fit this definition since 'small' is apparently open for debate. The niche still requires a product to target that niche though. Niche markets do not exist without products.

So, the MMO Market is not a niche market by being a small segment of the gaming market, assuming it is a 'small' segment of the gaming market. Without a product to target the MMO Market, it's not niche.

* This is where I get to eat some of my words because size matters in relation to niche markets. Niche markets are often considered to be small. Ah well. All in the name of education, even my own.

Yes, this is way off topic. This thread hasn't been on topic for awhile. I'm not even sure this thread makes a lot of sense, so good luck dragging it back on topic.

• sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357

Actually, I would say that it the thread is exactly on topic. It's hard to have a conversation on something if the people involved can't even agree on basic terms being used. In the grander scale, it's impossible for anyone to create an "MMO," of any kind, if the definition is so nebulous it may as well not exist anymore. When it started out, MMORPG meant something fairly specific; now, it's becoming a general term so watered down, it's borderline useless because if it gets any more nebulous, it will be so general that any game with an online component of any kind will potentially qualify, rendering a large basis of this discussion entirely moot.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

wow .. this place really like talking about definitions.

I would say let's go back to talk about why Devs are making games, and not virtual worlds. Very simple. Game sells.

You should all vote with your wallet. And if you do, and if the market goes the other way, it tells you something.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    Originally posted by Axehilt
    Originally posted by Scot

I am not sure what you are referring to as a virtual world MMO. I do not think such a game exists. If you mean open world MMO there are more than a few, it is hardly a niche area. But then every other MMO type is smaller than the easymode majority we now have. I do not regard open world as niche, just as I don’t regard MMOFPS as a niche. They are different games essentially.

You can call them all MMO's with sub genres, but it is getting harder and harder to do so. The gameplay is diverging so much that putting "MMO" in a games title is only there to give players an easy handle on what the game is about. A handle which can be quite deceptive, as a lot of modern games are MMO wannabes at best.

We do have supporters of non traditional MMO formats on here. Am I one such because I like a MMOFPS? Am I a MMO traditionalist because I see modern MMO's as losing so much? To me MMOFPS is essentially a new game, a hybrid between MMO's and FPS. Modern easymode MMO's on the other hand, are stripped down shadows of what they could be, pandering to the solo crowd. To call some of them themeparks is an insult to some good themeparks I have been to.

So all of us are putting forward their gaming agenda, what’s best for gaming. As long as posters are honest about where they stand I see no issue. 

You're right that any virtual world is a virtual world, and therefore all MMORPGs are virtual worlds and the thread is a bit silly in that regard.

But within the context of the thread, we're discussing simulations (games trying to simulate a virtual world) vs. games (games trying to be fun).  Given that, virtual worlds are a sub-genre of MMORPGs.

"Tradition" doesn't enter into it, it's purely a matter of sim vs. gameplay focus.

Not sure we can call MMOFPSes "new" or "hybrid".  It's been literally 10 years now since I first played Planetside, so they're not new.  And they're not a hybrid unless you would also call MMORPGs a "hybrid of MMO and RPG genres", which would seem very weird to me.  "MMO" isn't a genre, it's a description of multiplayer size.

I think you look at it all wrong.

First off, very few posters say they want "just the simulation". Very few. Most of us want "fun" things in that simulation we want. We want that simulation as a foundation because we can see loads of fun things available to be put in the game that the Themepark style can't do without hampering the Themepark foundation.

"Given that, virtual worlds are a sub-genre of MMORPGs." I have no issue with that statement, but it's also true that Themeparks are also a sub-genre of MMORPGs.

"Tradition" doesn't enter into it, it's purely a matter of sim vs. gameplay focus. I don't know about "tradition", to me the core tradition is the paper and pencil D+D game. Even back in the days when I played that, my friends and I all recognized that D+D really wouldn't work too well for a "world" full of 1000's of players. The old game conventions showed this as tables were set up for level groupings, very much like Themepark games divide content by levels today.

But you're wrong in not including "game play" in "sim". Like I said, very very few posters claim they want merely a sim without game play. In fact, they almost always include game play that they want when they say they "just want a world to live in". Hunting, farming, etc., those are all game play. Yet, most of us want much more for game play than just that.

"MMO" isn't a genre, it's a description of multiplayer size." No, MMO is a genre. It's not just the size of the numbers, it's the social environment that comes with that. Most games these days have cut out almost all of that social environment except for trade through auction houses and a visually massive message board on a backdrop (what they call a world). MMO's are a different animal exactly because of the massive numbers supposedly, but rarely in actual practice, playing together in the same world.

Once upon a time....

Originally posted by nariusseldon

wow .. this place really like talking about definitions.

I would say let's go back to talk about why Devs are making games, and not virtual worlds. Very simple. Game sells.

You should all vote with your wallet. And if you do, and if the market goes the other way, it tells you something.

MMOs have been out for many years now. Which way is the market going?

Once upon a time....

• Attend4455Attend4455 Member Posts: 161

Actually, I would say that it the thread is exactly on topic. It's hard to have a conversation on something if the people involved can't even agree on basic terms being used. In the grander scale, it's impossible for anyone to create an "MMO," of any kind, if the definition is so nebulous it may as well not exist anymore. When it started out, MMORPG meant something fairly specific; now, it's becoming a general term so watered down, it's borderline useless because if it gets any more nebulous, it will be so general that any game with an online component of any kind will potentially qualify, rendering a large basis of this discussion entirely moot.

Actually, I would say that it the thread is exactly on topic. It's hard to have a conversation on something if the people involved can't even agree on basic terms being used.

People will always disagree on the meaning of words so your point is moot

< snip > it's impossible for anyone to create an "MMO," of any kind, if the definition is so nebulous it may as well not exist anymore.

The existence of so many MMOs would seem to refute that.

When it started out, MMORPG meant something fairly specific

No it didn't

now, it's becoming a general term so watered down, it's borderline useless because if it gets any more nebulous, it will be so general that any game with an online component of any kind will potentially qualify, rendering a large basis of this discussion entirely moot.

You haven't evinced anything to show it is "watered down"

I sometimes make spelling and grammar errors but I don't pretend it's because I'm using a phone

No, the orignal concept of the MMORPG was farily specifc, and despite their differences, all of the early MMOs displayed a core of common characteristics. A living open world, player driven interactions, a focus on community, and a focus on long term game play were all vital regardless of the other mechanics. Now, players control almost nothing; the community in many games is a joke, if it is even noticed at all; people are now saying that having a open world, even in the background, isn't necessary, and, as much as I hate to admit it, they are largely correct; and 3 months is now considered long term. The concept has very much changed over the years to the point where some people will call anything with an online component an MMO, and the trend is only going to continue to weaken the original concepts, not strengthen them. This isn't to say that all of the changes are bad, but they are very real, and from the perspective of the original concept, leave the terms watered down and heavily generalized.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Amaranthar

"Tradition" doesn't enter into it, it's purely a matter of sim vs. gameplay focus. I don't know about "tradition", to me the core tradition is the paper and pencil D+D game. Even back in the days when I played that, my friends and I all recognized that D+D really wouldn't work too well for a "world" full of 1000's of players. The old game conventions showed this as tables were set up for level groupings, very much like Themepark games divide content by levels today.

But you're wrong in not including "game play" in "sim". Like I said, very very few posters claim they want merely a sim without game play. In fact, they almost always include game play that they want when they say they "just want a world to live in". Hunting, farming, etc., those are all game play. Yet, most of us want much more for game play than just that.

"MMO" isn't a genre, it's a description of multiplayer size." No, MMO is a genre. It's not just the size of the numbers, it's the social environment that comes with that. Most games these days have cut out almost all of that social environment except for trade through auction houses and a visually massive message board on a backdrop (what they call a world). MMO's are a different animal exactly because of the massive numbers supposedly, but rarely in actual practice, playing together in the same world.

MMORPGs came from Videogame RPGs, a different genre from Tabletop RPGs.

No videogame RPG ever replicated the tabletop RPG experience.  Only a mere handful even came close.  Most videogame RPGs are something else entire -- their own distinct genre focused on story, character development/progression, and combat which involves little or not twitch.  Those are the three main traits of videogame RPGs, and they're the three main traits of MMORPGs.

So if we want to trace the routes of the genre back, we have to realize that when tabletop RPGs became videogame RPGs they were significantly changed, and that all RPGs along that line, including MMORPGs, have never returned to being particularly tabletop-like.

I don't include gameplay in simulation because it's assumed they're two extremes of a spectrum.  On one side are games where all the major design decisions are made in order to simulate a world better, and the other side are games where "is this fun?" is the primary design decision driver.  Games exist at all points along the spectrum, and the closer you are towards the game extreme the better you do.

MMO means what it says: massively multiplayer online.  That's it.  It's not a genre, it's part of the description of a genre.  We're not going to lump MMOFPSes and MMORPGs and MMORTSes together because they're all substantially different games.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

No, the orignal concept of the MMORPG was farily specifc, and despite their differences, all of the early MMOs displayed a core of common characteristics. A living open world, player driven interactions, a focus on community, and a focus on long term game play were all vital regardless of the other mechanics. Now, players control almost nothing; the community in many games is a joke, if it is even noticed at all; people are now saying that having a open world, even in the background, isn't necessary, and, as much as I hate to admit it, they are largely correct; and 3 months is now considered long term. The concept has very much changed over the years to the point where some people will call anything with an online component an MMO, and the trend is only going to continue to weaken the original concepts, not strengthen them. This isn't to say that all of the changes are bad, but they are very real, and from the perspective of the original concept, leave the terms watered down and heavily generalized.

Paragraphs and spacing please.

Cant be bothered to see if agree or disagree.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Game first, VW 2nd IMO.  There is no reason we can't have both in the same world, however if it comes to a choice between them. I choose the game.

A game is made with fun and entertainment in mind which is why I play them.

VW is not, however if they plan the game it can have fun and entertainment in it. 

edit - while I really like VW, the key is there has to be enough fun elements in that VW to be entertaining to me which then means the devs need to make a game. 

I'm on the opposite side of the fence. If I want a game, I have plenty of single player titles to choose from for that function. I play MMORPGs mainly because I enjoy the virtual world aspect. It's also why I've played WoW (well, vanilla/BC WoW, that is), City of Heroes, and LotRO longer than any others - because they do the virtual world aspect better than any other.

I know many here will argue that Vanguard is better in this respect, but honestly....I just can't get past Vanguard's character models and animation. They're atrocious. You know you're doing something majorly wrong when even LotRO has better models and animation than you.

<3

I was talking about historical game design, you're talking about the linear historical progression.

No videogame RPG ever replicated the tabletop RPG experience.  Only a mere handful even came close.  Most videogame RPGs are something else entire -- their own distinct genre focused on story, character development/progression, and combat which involves little or not twitch.  Those are the three main traits of videogame RPGs, and they're the three main traits of MMORPGs.

And other than twitch, they are traits of paper and pencil roleplaying games too. But speaking of "twitch" in a thread partly about "simulation", what is twitch about if not "simulation"? 

So if we want to trace the routes of the genre back, we have to realize that when tabletop RPGs became videogame RPGs they were significantly changed, and that all RPGs along that line, including MMORPGs, have never returned to being particularly tabletop-like.

'The hell? Levels, XP, "rooms", plot and story...they only changed in so far as how they are presented, which both opened up new aspects and closed some others.

I don't include gameplay in simulation because it's assumed they're two extremes of a spectrum.  On one side are games where all the major design decisions are made in order to simulate a world better, and the other side are games where "is this fun?" is the primary design decision driver.  Games exist at all points along the spectrum, and the closer you are towards the game extreme the better you do.

No, that's where you start being wrong. That spectrum is "Simulation vs. Static Design", not vs. game play fun. The game play and fun is built on top of that, and would include spectrums of it's own based on the extreme to one side of the spectrum or the other.

And that's exactly why many gamers are calling for "something different", and most often more towards simulation. Because the Static Design formula is so limiting. 

MMO means what it says: massively multiplayer online.  That's it.  It's not a genre, it's part of the description of a genre.  We're not going to lump MMOFPSes and MMORPGs and MMORTSes together because they're all substantially different games.

That right there is one of the reasons why MMOs are suffering massive losses. Designers are not giving enough importance to the "Massively Multiplayer". They are taking more and more of that out of the games. WoW was much more "massively" than most of these newer games. Not that that's the only issue, as they are also taking "world", "social", and "simulation" out (to varying degrees).  

Once upon a time....

Originally posted by WW4BW

If that's the thing that stops you from having a debate, I'm not really losing much. I'm sorry you don't like it, but I have enough going on right now that pleasing the grammar police really doesn't interest me all that much. I do what I can, but I can't do all the work for you.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I was talking about historical game design, you're talking about the linear historical progression.

And other than twitch, they are traits of paper and pencil roleplaying games too. But speaking of "twitch" in a thread partly about "simulation", what is twitch about if not "simulation"? 

'The hell? Levels, XP, "rooms", plot and story...they only changed in so far as how they are presented, which both opened up new aspects and closed some others.

No, that's where you start being wrong. That spectrum is "Simulation vs. Static Design", not vs. game play fun. The game play and fun is built on top of that, and would include spectrums of it's own based on the extreme to one side of the spectrum or the other.

And that's exactly why many gamers are calling for "something different", and most often more towards simulation. Because the Static Design formula is so limiting. 

That right there is one of the reasons why MMOs are suffering massive losses. Designers are not giving enough importance to the "Massively Multiplayer". They are taking more and more of that out of the games. WoW was much more "massively" than most of these newer games. Not that that's the only issue, as they are also taking "world", "social", and "simulation" out (to varying degrees).  

First, MMORPGs are nothing like PnP RPGs. Their closest cousin indeed are video game RPGs which, in fact, are closer but still fundamentally very different from PnP. The resemblance between PnP and MMORPGs is distant. Just like Axehilt said, very few SP RPGs have ever come close to that experience, and MMORPGs are unlikely to ever come close to PnP. Stats, levels, loot... you might as well say a shark and a whale are close relatives because they both swim.

Second, twitch is about gameplay, specifically, hand-eye coordination, timing, reflexes and mastering the game's controls. Simulation comes into that only if the controls and UI are close to reality e.g. steering wheel and pedals for rally games etc.

And finally, perhaps an example would clarify some things. In simulation, the objective is to emulate reality. Some concessions can be made, but that is still the primary focus. In a game, the focus is fun; It doesn't matter if it doesn't make sense in the real world e.g. respawning, trinity combat, instances etc.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by WW4BW

If that's the thing that stops you from having a debate, I'm not really losing much. I'm sorry you don't like it, but I have enough going on right now that pleasing the grammar police really doesn't interest me all that much. I do what I can, but I can't do all the work for you.

Well it did help my tired eyes when I quoted it and it got put in bold. And I could read the 3 lines in this next post with no problems at all. 

Turns out I do, in fact, agree with you. Except I still would like you to put some paragraphs in your longer posts. It helps readers a lot when they dont have to figure our what line they were on ever 2 seconds.

It also has something to do with grammer. But that was not my point. I would zone out in a verbal debate too, if my counterpart was just rattling off a stream of words, without making any significant pauses.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
     We're not going to lump MMOFPSes and MMORPGs and MMORTSes together because they're all substantially different games.

I think Narius might want to talk to you about that statement.

This discussion has been closed.