Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

PvP/Mordred server...Please

GrixxittGrixxitt New Orleans, LAPosts: 543Member

Seeing how the hot button issues with TESO are instanced content, 'mega servers', and locked factions, I' hope they institute a PvP/Mordred ruleset server in TESO.

For those who don't know, Mordred was the main PvP server of DAOC and the ruleset opened all areas to PvP except capitol cities and certain noobie areas. It let all races play and group together and essentially replaced Realm with Guild for purpose of owning keeps and whatnot (and it was damn cool to see your own guild's banner flying from keeps).

I'm not really sure how said ruleset would work with the mega server nonsense but it would solve many problems that I (and apparently plenty of other people) have with this game as a whole.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

«1

Comments

  • SirBalinSirBalin Joppa, MDPosts: 1,150Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Grixxitt

    Seeing how the hot button issues with TESO are instanced content, 'mega servers', and locked factions, I' hope they institute a PvP/Mordred ruleset server in TESO.

    For those who don't know, Mordred was the main PvP server of DAOC and the ruleset opened all areas to PvP except capitol cities and certain noobie areas. It let all races play and group together and essentially replaced Realm with Guild for purpose of owning keeps and whatnot (and it was damn cool to see your own guild's banner flying from keeps).

    I'm not really sure how said ruleset would work with the mega server nonsense but it would solve many problems that I (and apparently plenty of other people) have with this game as a whole.

    Yes...please make a pvp type of server with limited rules...instances are poop

    Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 dublinPosts: 2,735Member
    How is the megaserver any worse than regular servers? at least with the megaserver you get to choose the type of people you will be playing with.
  • WellzyCWellzyC Stillwater, MNPosts: 557Member Uncommon

     

    mega server destroyes any ability to get to know the people you game with.

     

    regular servers hold about 2k people so you start to get to know guilds and players.

    The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

    The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...


    www.CeaselessGuild.com

  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,065Member Uncommon
    Mordred as the worst thing Mythic ever did... many tried it but only a very few stayed, the majorrity of people concluded that RvR PvP was far supperior to FFA.

    Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 dublinPosts: 2,735Member
    Originally posted by WellzyC

     

    mega server destroyes any ability to get to know the people you game with.

     

    regular servers hold about 2k people so you start to get to know guilds and players.

    Well, you will always be with the same people in cyrodill as you are locked into a campaign.

  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCPosts: 5,622Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Mordred as the worst thing Mythic ever did... many tried it but only a very few stayed, the majorrity of people concluded that RvR PvP was far supperior to FFA.

     Yeah, like me. Mordred was a mess. Noob camping is so much fun...oh wait, it isn't.

  • ForumPvPForumPvP KingstownPosts: 871Member

    ForumPvP picks XxMegakillerxX doors ,success (guards didnt notice)

    ForumPvP disarms traps ,success

    Sneaking ,success (xx) didnt wake up

    ForumPvP assasinates XxMegakillerxX, this house belongs to me now ,Morrowind style.

    PvP server ES  MMO style plox.

     

    Let's internet

  • GrixxittGrixxitt New Orleans, LAPosts: 543Member
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Mordred as the worst thing Mythic ever did... many tried it but only a very few stayed, the majorrity of people concluded that RvR PvP was far supperior to FFA.

    Actually it had a very good population until they forced people to PVE heavily to maintain effectiveness in PVP.

    The PVP server died when the majority of the PVP'ers left the game....go figure

    The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

    -The MMO Forum Community

  • GrootGroot OKC, OKPosts: 87Member

    Mordred wasn't for everyone, you are correct.  However, it was a great success for many years.  It dwindled when the PvE became required for PvP (artifact templates etc).  Most people came there leveled, SC'd up, and then PvP'd for a challenge.  8 man was king on Mordred.  The hard PvE grind killed the 8man community because it took so long for new groups to be battle ready.  So Mordred died due to the hard(er)core PvPers didn't want to deal with it anymore.  

    Plus WoW came out, and a ton of the 8 man groups moved to Illidan.  

    Andred died because all the bigger guilds moved/stayed to Mordred.

     

    Sigh I miss Mordred and the community.

  • aslan132aslan132 Tampa, FLPosts: 378Member Uncommon

    PVP servers as a rule in any MMO have the lowest population. Sure theres quite a few who try it out when its new. But once all the top players hit level cap, within a month or two, the server pop starts to dwindle. 

     

    Reasons are simple. Players only play on those servers to gank noobs. When everything is equal footing at launch, its a rush to level cap. Once there, high players kill the lowbies. Lowbies all quit because they cant level, because they are all getting ganked. High players then quit because theres no lowbies to kill and they cant compete with other high players on a level playing field. Server pop drops to a minimum, and the only people left are the handfull of level capped that dont want to reroll from scratch on a PVE server, but they whine the loudest on the forums that their server is dead.

  • ForumPvPForumPvP KingstownPosts: 871Member
    Originally posted by aslan132

    PVP servers as a rule in any MMO have the lowest population. Sure theres quite a few who try it out when its new. But once all the top players hit level cap, within a month or two, the server pop starts to dwindle. 

     

    Reasons are simple. Players only play on those servers to gank noobs. When everything is equal footing at launch, its a rush to level cap. Once there, high players kill the lowbies. Lowbies all quit because they cant level, because they are all getting ganked. High players then quit because theres no lowbies to kill and they cant compete with other high players on a level playing field. Server pop drops to a minimum, and the only people left are the handfull of level capped that dont want to reroll from scratch on a PVE server, but they whine the loudest on the forums that their server is dead.

    vov.

    Like only red people play on those servers to gank blues.

    hows that possible if theres only reds ?

    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/status

    only full server atm is PvP server,15 pve high servers and 31 PvP high servers,makes sense.

    edit:now 6 PVP servers full and 2 having queue,,zero PvE servers full.

    Let's internet

  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCPosts: 5,622Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by aslan132

    PVP servers as a rule in any MMO have the lowest population. Sure theres quite a few who try it out when its new. But once all the top players hit level cap, within a month or two, the server pop starts to dwindle. 

     

    Reasons are simple. Players only play on those servers to gank noobs. When everything is equal footing at launch, its a rush to level cap. Once there, high players kill the lowbies. Lowbies all quit because they cant level, because they are all getting ganked. High players then quit because theres no lowbies to kill and they cant compete with other high players on a level playing field. Server pop drops to a minimum, and the only people left are the handfull of level capped that dont want to reroll from scratch on a PVE server, but they whine the loudest on the forums that their server is dead.

    Lol. Good description.

    In addition to what you said, I always found it ironic that a game designed around a particular style of PvP--lage scale PvP with lots of opportunity for strategy and tactics-- threw in a barely-supported server for the gank-the -lowbee style PvP. And it died for one reason: WOW came along with exactly this type of PvP as the only PvP they had originally.

    I also find including scenario PvP in RvR games weird. Aren't there enough e-sport style PvP games out there where people can get their quick PvP fix in 15 minutes? Isn't that a different crowd--one that usually describes RvR as "zerg vs. zerg"--from the ones who are attracted to large scale RvR?

  • GrixxittGrixxitt New Orleans, LAPosts: 543Member

    You people realize that I'm suggesting an optional server type for those who want it right?

    I'm not mandating that all (non)server(s) be of this type, or threatening to break into your house and force you to play MY way at gunpoint or something.

    If it's easy to do and requires little resources to garner a piece of the MMO market that probably won't be interested in buying this game, then why in hell not?

    The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

    -The MMO Forum Community

  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCPosts: 5,622Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Grixxitt

    You people realize that I'm suggesting an optional server type for those who want it right?

    I'm not mandating that all (non)server(s) be of this type, or threatening to break into your house and force you to play MY way at gunpoint or something.

    If it's easy to do and requires little resources to garner a piece of the MMO market that probably won't be interested in buying this game, then why in hell not?

    Do you realize that with the only thing ESO has that even resembles a server that could have different rule sets is the Cyrodiil "campaigns" where it's already PvP 24/7? But yes, you can't eat your own young here. You can only eat the young of the 2 other alliances that you don't belong to.

    PvE in ESO is done in one megaserver with everyone playing together with the the same ruleset. It, is not divided into "campaigns."

     If you want that type of gameplay all you have to do is play only in Cyrodiil. Which, according to what I know so far, is totally doable: you can level to 50 in Cyrodiil without ever leaving it.

  • GrixxittGrixxitt New Orleans, LAPosts: 543Member
    Originally posted by Iselin
     

    Do you realize that with the only thing ESO has that even resembles a server that could have different rule sets is the Cyrodiil "campaigns" where it's already PvP 24/7? But yes, you can't eat your own young here. You can only eat the young of the 2 other alliances that you don't belong to.

    PvE in ESO is done in one megaserver with everyone playing together with the the same ruleset. It, is not divided into "campaigns."

     If you want that type of gameplay all you have to do is play only in Cyrodiil. Which, according to what I know so far, is totally doable: you can level to 50 in Cyrodiil without ever leaving it.

    I'm sorry that any open PvP experiences you may have had in the past have left you so bitter, but why do you feel it necessary to piss on someone else's parade? 

    As I said, noone is FORCING anyone to play this game a certain way, why should you be so against something you won't partake in?

     

    You seem to only be focused on the lowbie ganking that could go on. 

    What about cross realm grouping?

    What about non-instanced zones?

    Guild V Guild as opposed to RvR?

    Using PvP to control desirable PvE locations?

     

     

     

     

    The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

    -The MMO Forum Community

  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCPosts: 5,622Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Grixxitt
    Originally posted by Iselin
     

    Do you realize that with the only thing ESO has that even resembles a server that could have different rule sets is the Cyrodiil "campaigns" where it's already PvP 24/7? But yes, you can't eat your own young here. You can only eat the young of the 2 other alliances that you don't belong to.

    PvE in ESO is done in one megaserver with everyone playing together with the the same ruleset. It, is not divided into "campaigns."

     If you want that type of gameplay all you have to do is play only in Cyrodiil. Which, according to what I know so far, is totally doable: you can level to 50 in Cyrodiil without ever leaving it.

    I'm sorry that any open PvP experiences you may have had in the past have left you so bitter, but why do you feel it necessary to piss on someone else's parade? 

    As I said, noone is FORCING anyone to play this game a certain way, why should you be so against something you won't partake in?

     

    You seem to only be focused on the lowbie ganking that could go on. 

    What about cross realm grouping?

    What about non-instanced zones?

    Guild V Guild as opposed to RvR?

    Using PvP to control desirable PvE locations?

     

     

     

     

    Lol. I've been playing in a PvP server in WOW for more than 8 years. I've played Rift only in a PvP server. I'm not bitter, just realistic and honest. I know what open world PvP is like....always. It is a gankfest. Despite that, I always choose PvP servers because it's what I like to do and I'm always hoping someone does it right with appropriate punishment for a level 90 rogue camping Honor Hold and killing level 60s repeatedly for hours on end...but no one ever does.

    This game is designed a specific way for specific reasons. They don't want that asshattery here so they chose segregation.

    Can they do something different ...like everything in your list? Probably. Does it make sense? Not to me. I put it in the same category as having a "server" where there are gnomes riding choppers. That game is over thataway.

  • rygard49rygard49 Huntington Beach, CAPosts: 975Member Common

    My best gaming memory was on Mordred when, against all odds, we won a 5v8 outside the gates of Tir Na Nog. Next on the list was creating a guild of all Bone Dancers (like 45 of us of varying levels, none higher than 30) and raiding Mag Mel killing EVERYONE. Literally, everyone. Large groups of level 50's dropped.

    I'd likely play on an open PvP... phase?... like that again in this game, but would spend most of my time with the standard ruleset. Mordred was great fun, but the RvR suffered on that realm.

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Originally posted by Grixxitt

    Seeing how the hot button issues with TESO are instanced content, 'mega servers', and locked factions, I' hope they institute a PvP/Mordred ruleset server in TESO.

    For those who don't know, Mordred was the main PvP server of DAOC and the ruleset opened all areas to PvP except capitol cities and certain noobie areas. It let all races play and group together and essentially replaced Realm with Guild for purpose of owning keeps and whatnot (and it was damn cool to see your own guild's banner flying from keeps).

    I'm not really sure how said ruleset would work with the mega server nonsense but it would solve many problems that I (and apparently plenty of other people) have with this game as a whole.

    they should have copied DAOCs server model exactly

    the FFA servers would have entertained the Darkfall crowd

    the COOP servers wopuld have entertained the EQ/WOW crowd

    both the above would end the "i cant go anywhere or group with who i want whine"

    the CORE servers would have worked better because the PVE would be tied to the RVR campaign, and players would be forced to reroll if they wanted to swap to a winning server rather than guest in a friends campaign or take some puny AP penalty to switch campaigns.

  • KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 20,008Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by rygard49

    My best gaming memory was on Mordred when, against all odds, we won a 5v8 outside the gates of Tir Na Nog. Next on the list was creating a guild of all Bone Dancers (like 45 of us of varying levels, none higher than 30) and raiding Mag Mel killing EVERYONE. Literally, everyone. Large groups of level 50's dropped.

    I'd likely play on an open PvP... phase?... like that again in this game, but would spend most of my time with the standard ruleset. Mordred was great fun, but the RvR suffered on that realm.

    Well yeah, the RVR suffered because there was none, it was all about Guild vs Guild which is why I loved it.  Our guild took a Keep and held it against all comers, and if we found someone in it when we logged on, we fought til the bitter end to get it back.

    Totally different than the experience on the blue servers, and why I spent more time on Mordred than any other, despite being a carebear at heart.

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

  • waynejr2waynejr2 West Toluca Lake, CAPosts: 4,481Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Grixxitt

    You people realize that I'm suggesting an optional server type for those who want it right?

    I'm not mandating that all (non)server(s) be of this type, or threatening to break into your house and force you to play MY way at gunpoint or something.

    If it's easy to do and requires little resources to garner a piece of the MMO market that probably won't be interested in buying this game, then why in hell not?

     What content are you asking to be removed to cover the costs to build this new type of server?  Tell us what content or features you would want in exchange for this. 

  • GrixxittGrixxitt New Orleans, LAPosts: 543Member
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by Grixxitt

    You people realize that I'm suggesting an optional server type for those who want it right?

    I'm not mandating that all (non)server(s) be of this type, or threatening to break into your house and force you to play MY way at gunpoint or something.

    If it's easy to do and requires little resources to garner a piece of the MMO market that probably won't be interested in buying this game, then why in hell not?

     What content are you asking to be removed to cover the costs to build this new type of server?  Tell us what content or features you would want in exchange for this. 

    Are you suggesting it would be easier to make a game with instances than not? Because I assure you that is not the case.

    There is very little that would need to be coded here, anyone with a programming background could probably get 99% of the work done in an afternoon by erasing/editing existing code.

    Honestly the only parts that I could think of that would need to be added would be a seperate server selection screen at character creation for the database.

    The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

    -The MMO Forum Community

  • VendacVendac Sauk City, WIPosts: 39Member

    No thank you.

    Pure PvP FFA games always cater to the lowest common denominator at some point.  In other words, the cool kid gankers who dont want a real challenge, they just want to farm noobies because they cant compete at the highest level, newbies leave server, PvP dies, they QQ on forums about how their server is dead.  Someone above stated something similar to this, but in a better fashion.

    I played UO on the Felucia side for 5 years.  Full open world PvP only worked in that game because there were no levels, but even that caved when they added Trammel side to the server.  I did play on DAOC Mordred for a short time.  Without a strong guild, you were meat to be abused at the whim of the higher leveled people.  I did get to 50, but most people wanted to do nothing but camp each other with the new FOTM class.  Their was some decent 8man on Mordred, but it was honestly short lived.  TOA really seperated the haves and have nots as well.  I played on a PvP server in Rift as well, but people there were surprisingly civil in the low level leveling areas and took a live and let live attitude as everyone was pushing to level.  Only the occasional high level asshat would be annoying to lower level characters.  Tera is also a full PvP game, but it is similar to Rift in the live and let live attitude.  As a bonus you simply switch channels from time to time to avoid the idiots as well as there are plenty of wanna be PvPers that hang out in Lumbertown killing the level 15s. 

    In short, its not worth the effort/time/money/resources/etc that it would require to set this up.  In the end it always boils down to one thing, FFA PvP servers will always melt down due to the crowd of people it attracts.

     

    You cant fix stupid - Ron White

  • Delavega86Delavega86 adhkulPosts: 112Member

    i would be intrigued... more options is usually good.

    let there be a ffa-pvp server then.

    image
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,065Member Uncommon
    Nothing wrong with such a server,  except the fact that developing different server types is actually a resource hog... its expensive and does not pay off.

    Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

  • AdalwulffAdalwulff Sacramento, CAPosts: 1,152Member
    Originally posted by Grixxitt
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Mordred as the worst thing Mythic ever did... many tried it but only a very few stayed, the majorrity of people concluded that RvR PvP was far supperior to FFA.

    Actually it had a very good population until they forced people to PVE heavily to maintain effectiveness in PVP.

    The PVP server died when the majority of the PVP'ers left the game....go figure

     

    You mean to say they left when they could no longer grief like they used too

    image
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.