Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would Failure of the kickstarter , be more of blessing?

Comments

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206

i was interested before KS.. then i listen MJ how it will works.. and sorry noooo... i dont wont old school  way i want modern balanced aliance vs aliance game.. then i want spend more money maybe 500+

but 3x5 different classes.. craft as special class.. no limits for pvp so lagfest like Warhammer.. stealth without knowledge how to make it.. sorry.. GL MJ

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Fact is, Chris Roberts, David Braben and even the guy doing Divergence have shown how you have to go into a KS campaign.

You. Need. A Prototype.

Double Fine is a different story, it happened at the beginning of the KS craze, in fact it seems they kicked off the whole big fundings for games on KS. Also, Tim Schafer is a REAL celebrity in gaming history, just like Braben and Roberts.

The Divergence guy is not a celebrity, but he did a HELL of a prototype without having ANY money.

In summary:

Jacobs is not a developer legend. Sorry, but no.

He didn't spend his money for a prototype and wants community funds first.

Sorry, but no way am i funding this. I might buy it if it gets released and the gameplay footage looks convincing.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

Absolutely.

I think going into a KS campaign without a prototype is rather pathetic.

Backed some games on KS but only the ones which had something convincing to show off.

I do agree.

Getting money would be easier if they could show some alpha footage.

On the other hand, with no publisher, they need money to be able to create the game.

Well I thought Jacobs has 2 million at hand? he didn't want to take some risk and invest in a prototype himself like Chris Roberts did with SC, Braben did with Elite, Garriot did with Shroud?

draw your own conclusion like I did

Wait there.. SC was using an established engine and we have not seen any in game footage yet just some videos possibly showing scripted footage from within cryengine. Yes they did ahve a lot of stuff done in the engine already but they didnt have to design an engine as welll just make some models and put them in game (yes there was mroe to it than that).

We didnt see any in game footage with Elite until a week after kickstarter started.. i believe all we got to start with was some footage of the origional Elite. When we did get to see the first in game footage it was nothing more and a basic tech demo

Shroud videos where just some basic stuff thrown togeather in unity that would probally take me a few days to do so again we never really seen anything there.

With UC they are making an engine from scratch and they have already shown us some early demo footage from the engine..

fine, so basically you say what we have seen from Star Citizen, Shroud and Elite Dangerous is all irrelevant stuff thrown together in some engine?

Then show me similiar  footage of "some models thrown together in some engine" from CU then? Ah well, doesn't exist. Got it..

oh, the 100000 NPCs demo? Laughable.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Jostle

Failure of the kickstarter would be anything but good.

Agreed.

Failing their KS will only hurt their credibility and show an apparent lack of demand to VCs etc in the future.

I have to ask why they played their hand so early... especally considering they have 2 mill to play with which to build a tech demo, which only would have helped.

Seems a basic misjudgement to me, which dosen't encourage me for the future if it did get made greatly.

• supergfunksupergfunk Member UncommonPosts: 95

Really guys, what would it hurt to pledge $5...I think Jacobs has atleast that much reputation....Successful Game Kickstarters are important to the future of developing games.   Now i'm not saying you have to pledge for every game but if you like pvp and mmo's then $5 to get into the discussion on KS and actually input something constructive is well worth it...and hey, if it doesn't fund you lost nothing.

In summary, why oh why do you feel all this flaming and ranting on the kickstarter would help anything??

Originally posted by supergfunk

Really guys, what would it hurt to pledge $5...I think Jacobs has atleast that much reputation....

WAR says I get to keep my $5.

If this guy had a clean track record, sure, but as it is he needs to prove that he can bottle lightning on a sustainable basis.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by Sxadana

I have been following cu for a few months, and ever since the kickstarter came out i have been debatting with myself if i shoud donate or not. Reading as much info as possible. Looking up old doac friends and asking they're thoughts about doac2, only to find that they havent even heard that it existed.

So as more days pass i keep feeling that this game wasnt ready to be put on kickstarter. Most of the kickstarters i see partialy have a product already. or something to show for, not just hey look i want to make this "xxx awesome item" i dont have much more then how i want it to look. And this is where i feel that CU is lacking. Its nice that they are already have the general idea. But yea...

Now it makes me wonder if this kickstarter ended up failling, in the end it would only be for the good of the game. That they wouldent just give up and go home. But actualy spend a few months working on the product. Then come back to kickstarted with a rough diamand to show for. I have a feeling that if this was the case. CU would get way more attention from gaming websites because they actualy got something to show for. Stretch goals would be achieved , with a funding ending possible way higher then the inital goal.

Any thoughts ?

The highest back kickstarters only have concept art, they are getting funded because of their previous popular IP's.

Originally posted by nerovipus32

I have been following cu for a few months, and ever since the kickstarter came out i have been debatting with myself if i shoud donate or not. Reading as much info as possible. Looking up old doac friends and asking they're thoughts about doac2, only to find that they havent even heard that it existed.

So as more days pass i keep feeling that this game wasnt ready to be put on kickstarter. Most of the kickstarters i see partialy have a product already. or something to show for, not just hey look i want to make this "xxx awesome item" i dont have much more then how i want it to look. And this is where i feel that CU is lacking. Its nice that they are already have the general idea. But yea...

Now it makes me wonder if this kickstarter ended up failling, in the end it would only be for the good of the game. That they wouldent just give up and go home. But actualy spend a few months working on the product. Then come back to kickstarted with a rough diamand to show for. I have a feeling that if this was the case. CU would get way more attention from gaming websites because they actualy got something to show for. Stretch goals would be achieved , with a funding ending possible way higher then the inital goal.

Any thoughts ?

The highest back kickstarters only have concept art, they are getting funded because of their previous popular IP's.

So in your opinion, CU only dosen't look like it's gonna make it right now due to a sensational lack of demand for what it is offering?

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by meddyck

By the end of the 30 days there should be enough information out for anybody to make a reasonably informed decision about whether he would enjoy the game enough to donate a few dollars to see it made. People act like this is a decision to buy a car or a house. You are just being given a chance to donate $1 or more to see a video game made with various rewards being given based on the size of your donation. If you can't afford it or don't like what you've seen based on the info provided, don't donate. Otherwise do. It's that simple.

No way no how would failure to fund be a blessing. If it failed and there was a second Kickstarter a few months later, you still wouldn't get a complete list of classes and all their skills and whatever else details you think are missing nor would there be videos of a fully functioning alpha version of the game. If it doesn't fund the first time or get very close, then Mark will reasonably assume the concept is just too niche and doesn't have the player base needed to be viable. Then RvR fans would have to move on to hoping TESO doesn't ruin its AvA with too much PvE gear grind.

Honestly, CU is all platitudes and wish-ful thinking (meaning philosophy) of the game. If there was a real demo of game play, I think the game WOULD garner more support. Also, if there were more money in hand and not just pledged off of the Kiskstarter campaign, I think the game would also garner more attention.

Failure WOULD be a blessing because people would actually see that they need to actually have something prior to asking for funding. Think of this quote - "There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

noone knows anything about the game because there is nothing to know, there is no game, just a pipedream. 

yet it still gets covered by gaming sites, at least this one more than any other game in history, even completed ones.  I would hate to see if mmorpg really started covering it, im sure we would get 5 articles a  day on if the devs cut their toenails today.

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Any thoughts ?

So in your opinion, CU only dosen't look like it's gonna make it right now due to a sensational lack of demand for what it is offering?

In a nutshell, yes.

• supergfunksupergfunk Member UncommonPosts: 95
    I really think you missed my point there,  wouldn't you rather give your input and try to contribute for something positive rather than flame and bash with the negative?   I think Jacobs is sincere when he says he learns lesson from every game he makes and how could he not?   DAoC is only my favorite game ever and the only one that has kept me playing for anything more than a few months.  I for one am very excited to help make this game in any way that I'm allowed..

Any thoughts ?

Where did i say it wasn't going to make it?

Any thoughts ?

I didn't say anywhere you did.

I said it dosen't *look like* it's going to make it right now.

I am asking your opinion, based on what you said.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

fine, so basically you say what we have seen from Star Citizen, Shroud and Elite Dangerous is all irrelevant stuff thrown together in some engine?

Then show me similiar  footage of "some models thrown together in some engine" from CU then? Ah well, doesn't exist. Got it..

SC had some ingame images of models, a short video show some clips of the different models in the game engine and then the cockpit view.. just remembering what was there at the start of the kickstarter for that.. i think that was basically it.

Elite at the start of the kickstarter had an inital veideo with the devs talking and showing some footage of the origional elite.. it was not until later in the kickstarter we got to see any in game footage..

Its not irrelevant and i dont believe i said that. I am jsut saying your examples did not really have that much to show either....

Also have you not seen the video of CU released yesterday with the 2 different types of animated models attacknig each other?

Anyway yes more videos of in game footage of course would have been better.. but i was just saying the examples you sued wehre not that much better especially Elite..

I really think you missed my point there,  wouldn't you rather give your input and try to contribute for something positive rather than flame and bash with the negative?   I think Jacobs is sincere when he says he learns lesson from every game he makes and how could he not?   DAoC is only my favorite game ever and the only one that has kept me playing for anything more than a few months.  I for one am very excited to help make this game in any way that I'm allowed..

I would like to see HIS vision in code. As it is, there is nothing. Since his name is behind the game, he should really do it justice or let it die. The way this game is being developed with Kickstarter, he can say it is not my fault if it doesn't succeed.

Any thoughts ?

I was quoting the OP, who said most kickstarters have a product to show off but in reality the highest backed projects have only concept art and are getting funded because of what they have developed in the past. There certainly isn't a lack of demand for camelot unchained.

• ChakulaChakula Member Posts: 12
    Personally I will be waiting a little longer before I donate. I want to see more features before I make the commitment. When I see a little more I will be getting the young hero $110 tier. Seems like the best bang for your buck.

To answer the op directly, no I don't think the kick starter failing is a good thing because buyers remorse or second thoughts might not get as much interest on the second go around. I mean all the islands and inns are already gone. With only two dragon whales left too. So that's huge to have all that kind of support coming out of the gate. You might not see that level of support on the second go around.

Towards the end this will go bananas because people will want to get the limited editions young tiers and make impulse decisions in investing.

The promising thing is that the current average donation is near $160. Which in my opinion is really high. This game will find and it has a very dedicated place backing it up with a significant amount of investment.
    Originally posted by Caldrin

SC had some ingame images of models, a short video show some clips of the different models in the game engine and then the cockpit view.. just remembering what was there at the start of the kickstarter for that.. i think that was basically it.

Elite at the start of the kickstarter had an inital veideo with the devs talking and showing some footage of the origional elite.. it was not until later in the kickstarter we got to see any in game footage..

Its not irrelevant and i dont believe i said that. I am jsut saying your examples did not really have that much to show either....

Also have you not seen the video of CU released yesterday with the 2 different types of animated models attacknig each other?

Anyway yes more videos of in game footage of course would have been better.. but i was just saying the examples you sued wehre not that much better especially Elite..

I looked at the model videos and if that is what they are going to use as in game footage, they should go back to the drawing board. It didnt' look like anything.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I don't think it would be a blessing at all.

For mmo's, more smaller companies need to go out on a limb and be different than the usual WoW, quest grinding, gear grinding, clones. The more that succeed on kickstarter and on their own, the better.

Maybe then, the larger companies will see the typical themepark has been played out, done, and a lot of people are sick of them and want less hand-holding in their mmorpg's, and what's more, they really want mmorpg's. Today's mmo's aren't even mmo's anymore, compared to what we had with Ultima Online, Asheron's Call, Dark Age of Camelot.

The communities in today's so called mmo's are almost non-existent.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Any thoughts ?

I was quoting the OP, who said most kickstarters have a product to show off but in reality the highest backed projects have only concept art and are getting funded because of what they have developed in the past. There certainly isn't a lack of demand for camelot unchained.

So if, in your opinion, they don't need anything to show, not even a tech demo, and the demand is certainly there, is it so far off getting funded at this point?

Originally posted by botrytis

I would like to see HIS vision in code. As it is, there is nothing. Since his name is behind the game, he should really do it justice or let it die. The way this game is being developed with Kickstarter, he can say it is not my fault if it doesn't succeed.

if the gaem does not succeed after it gets funding then he is to blame simple as that... WAR had big publishers trying to push the game into somthing else and he had to compromise because of that.

The main thing about kickstarter is that devs will have the freedom to make the game they want to make..

Sure with more video footage of the game it may have made more by now but still at the end of the day this is a niche game there wont be millions wanting to back it or even play it once its released.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Well it seems they have about 20 more days to collect another million. Can they do it ? Yeah they can do it but not getting that good vibe here. If a game fails on Kickstarter that shows a lack of interest of the type of game that is going to be made. I don't see how you could restart it on Kickstarter and think you will get success a second time. 
    Originally posted by botrytis

I looked at the model videos and if that is what they are going to use as in game footage, they should go back to the drawing board. It didnt' look like anything.

Do you realise how much is involved in creating a game engine from scratch?

I am sure they could have picked up one of the currently available engines like unity and put a basic game togeather already but they wanted to design their own engine so they could have complete control in its development.

So of course it didnt look like anything as the engine is still very early on in development...

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

I wonder how people get these ideas? Thats a company we are talking about, not some two dudes in a garage working on their project in their spare time.

I mean think about it. Tomorrow your boss comes in and tells you that you won't get any wages the next three months while everyone is working on a nice demo for a kickstarter that might or might not get funded. Oh yeah, and he will take a loan from the bank to cover expenses like electricity and rent. But the kickstarter will come through. Probably.

I dunno about you, but i would run for the hills if i were A) a employee or point a finger and laugh if i was B) in charge of loans at a bank. I mean how the hell would someone working at a bank be able to judge the possibility of success of a kickstarter months in advance?

Also yeah MJ will put 2 million into it once its kickstarted, but not before(which is still taking a risk btw). Well hello? There are people that don't wan't to "risk" a single dollar to get a foot into the backer door(a dollar they can withdraw again btw). And we are talking about 2 million $ here. Also for all we know the man is married to a nice and kindhearted woman, who would still bludgeon him to death with a pan if he gambled with that kind of money.

So no, a failure wouldn't be good. In the worst case it would mean that in order to succeed on KS you already need a shitton of money to be able to preproduce, which again means that KS projects offered to us will be "filtered" by some sort of investors. Now please explain me how having less choice and getting spoonfed investor approved stuff would be an improvement when its so easy to ignore shitty projects?

Being able to start with just an idea and some rough sketches is imho the whole point of kickstarter. If you can't deal with that ... don't. You'll be able to get the same product later if it gets funded. Or not if not.