Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any other DAOCers holding back?

Comments

• Thebrave246Thebrave246 Member Posts: 174
    So I am down to pledge some, so how much do I have to spend to get a preorder on the game, like a digital version? Also beta access? Thanks!
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    Yes I am holding back. First off you can't have RvR without the R...LOL! No PvE or realm to fight for, it is just a PvP game. I also don't believe that it will actually be anything like DAoC RvR in anyway, instance with population cap, low for a DAoC gamer I bet. I think it is just a scam!

ROFL. You couldn't be more wrong. If anything, they are planning to have servers and fights that have too many players. They did a tech demo for the custom engine they are developing with 10,000 characters on one screen with no lag for instance. There are no instances and the population cap if any will be more than high enough and likely much higher than DAOC's servers could ever support before crashing.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Thebrave246
    So I am down to pledge some, so how much do I have to spend to get a preorder on the game, like a digital version? Also beta access? Thanks!

Just donating $25 gets you a digital copy of the game and beta 3 access plus a few other perks. Check out the Kickstarter page for all the tier details.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• GKermichilGKermichil Member Posts: 32

$25 bucks gets you a digital copy of the game and beta access.

Here are all the details:  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

Edit: <shakes his fist at Meddyck>  Too fast!  Too fast!

• EdanyEdany Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Yes I am holding back. First off you can't have RvR without the R...LOL! No PvE or realm to fight for, it is just a PvP game. I also don't believe that it will actually be anything like DAoC RvR in anyway, instance with population cap, low for a DAoC gamer I bet. I think it is just a scam!

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here, but I"m going to try to decipher it (and I understand that English may not be your first language, I'm cool with that).

1. What makes you think that there is no 'R'? The entire game is based on 'Tri-Realm' combat (Mark's new slogan for RvR).

2. I am not sure where you got the idea that there would be instancing, when it has been repeatedly stated that it will be an open and persistent world.

3. As far as population cap, again, no. That is why Andrew Meggs is writing and developing his own Engine (and has demoed it briefly), in order to be able for the first time to have true massive battles with hundreds of players on one screen.

I'm sorry you think its a scam, and I can understand wanting to hold back. But if you're going to hold back, make sure that you understand just why you're holding back, and that those reasons are based on facts and not just speculation and an assumption. 

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Bought a friend of mine a $250 Phat Lewt pledge :).

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

Huh?

There's three realms....

There are npcs, just not PVE character development or loot. There will still be reasons to kill, and maybe even farm npcs. (crafting mats, other reasons).

Actually it sounds a lot like a modernized DAOC RVR.

There's absolutely no instancing in this game.

Where did you pull population cap from? If anything they're trying to have epic battles with thousands of people in an area.

None of what you said really made sense I guess, LOL.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

Quick question, let's say you give the $25 and it fails to reach it's goal, what happens, it's a donation right? But yeah... I may wait til it gets closer to the end of the donation period.
  • SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Quick question, let's say you give the $25 and it fails to reach it's goal, what happens, it's a donation right? But yeah... I may wait til it gets closer to the end of the donation period.

They are not going to charge you until the end of the duration of the kickstarter, and also then, they won't charge you until it gets to 100% of the goal amount. So, you don't have to worry about losing money even if the kickstarter fails.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

Whatever you pledge does not get charged to you unless the Kickstarter actually funds by the deadline of May 2nd, so if the game fails to meet that goal, no harm no foul to you, no charge.

In essence, it is free to pledge until they have fully funded their goal. :)

• TanemundTanemund Member UncommonPosts: 154

I'm holding back, but not because of anything except the fact that over the years since I played DAoC I've gotten burned by the industry with more "pre-order" disasters than I'd care to admit to.  The last MMO I pre-ordered was Star Trek Online and every time I think about getting out my wallet and paying for anything that hasn't even reached Beta yet I get the chills. 

Maybe that's kind of cynical of me, but the industry as a whole has left me a little gunshy.

By the same token I'm not a huge backer of this game either.  I'm going to have to see more than some concept art and some flowery promises before I'll get happy in da PANCE over anything a game designer says or promises.  Been there, done that, got a tee shirt.

Sadly I think a lot of gamers are in the same place I'm in.

Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising.

That sounds good, my only problem is I am a fan of DAoC, but there's other MMORPGS I am looking forward to as well and this game, IF funded, will take another 2 years to really get out to the public, I'll probably be playing Everquest Next or something to be honest ;/
  • mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135

PvE in Daoc was a lot of fun. It was about finding people to group with, level up together and make friends. It was way more important then the RvR aspect. 

Remember Darkness Falls, the combination of PvE and RvR war just great.

An PvP only MMORPG will not work. Some have tried and all failed.

Step in the arena and break the wall down

Originally posted by Tanemund

I'm holding back, but not because of anything except the fact that over the years since I played DAoC I've gotten burned by the industry with more "pre-order" disasters than I'd care to admit to.  The last MMO I pre-ordered was Star Trek Online and every time I think about getting out my wallet and paying for anything that hasn't even reached Beta yet I get the chills. 

Maybe that's kind of cynical of me, but the industry as a whole has left me a little gunshy.

By the same token I'm not a huge backer of this game either.  I'm going to have to see more than some concept art and some flowery promises before I'll get happy in da PANCE over anything a game designer says or promises.  Been there, done that, got a tee shirt.

Interestingly enough, I am in your exact same position regarding purchasing games that are so weak it makes me sick to think that I gave them any money at all. What a total waste.

For me, that is the very reason *why* I decided to contribute. At the very least, so far, they are holding firm on their design principles and have clearly stated that they know that this game will be very niche and not for everybody. They are trying to focus on one thing and do that one thing well.

It's a bonus for me that I love RvR / Crafting, so I'm hopeful that this game will be up my alley, but even if it isn't, I am happy to reward ingenuity over stale any day.

It is why I stayed subbed to TSW (Edit: TSW - The Secret World)  for about 6 months after they went F2P. They tried something different, and even though it wasn't for me, I'm glad they put themselves out there.

He's all but said there will be a darkness falls type pve/rvr dungeon. He just can't make big promises like that at this point, but I'm 99% sure from all the desire for it, and MJ even seems to want something like that back, that it will be in CU.

Backers in internal/alpha and backers forums will have a big influence on what kind of features like that make it into the game.

So if you want DF, best bet is to back the kickstarter, and push really hard for it in the development.

I can think of several ways they can implement it. It's a matter of having incentives in there besides killing other players, which is pretty easy to accomplish with the crafting/building systems.

• DaizeddDaizedd Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by Edany
    Originally posted by Tanemund

Interestingly enough, I am in your exact same position regarding purchasing games that are so weak it makes me sick to think that I gave them any money at all. What a total waste.

For me, that is the very reason *why* I decided to contribute. At the very least, so far, they are holding firm on their design principles and have clearly stated that they know that this game will be very niche and not for everybody. They are trying to focus on one thing and do that one thing well.

It's a bonus for me that I love RvR / Crafting, so I'm hopeful that this game will be up my alley, but even if it isn't, I am happy to reward ingenuity over stale any day.

It is why I stayed subbed to TSR for about 6 months after they went F2P. They tried something different, and even though it wasn't for me, I'm glad they put themselves out there.

Alright I googled it and I still don't know what the hell it is... what's TSR ?

Doh! Well shit. TSR is a typo of TSW (The Secret World). Sooorry. :D
  • TroianmanTroianman Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by Tuktz

He's all but said there will be a darkness falls type pve/rvr dungeon. He just can't make big promises like that at this point, but I'm 99% sure from all the desire for it, and MJ even seems to want something like that back, that it will be in CU.

Just without the seals and NPC merchants.

And if something like Legion (with no loot table) existed it would cause much pain and suffering, and happiness at all the pain and suffering.

• vakabielvakabiel Member Posts: 12

Exactly - $25 gets your a copy of the game and beta plus the sub fee is going to be less than the normal mmos out today... most of you people against it probably spend more than that in a week on things you don't need or food that you shouldn't eat.

$25 to get into a game that you might love seems like a good investment to me.

Hi Vak =) It's Aqua

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395

There are a lot of DaoCers holding back. There seems to be a split between those that actually think DaoC was the best MMO...the TESO backers and the CU backers.

Some over on the TESO side sure do think you guys are crazy even though they still say the same things were great about DaoC as you do.

• darkbalthdarkbalth Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Way i fell is teso will bbe coming out soon while Cu has 2 years, so ill play teso until CU comes out then if teso has gotten stale ill switch if not ill play both
    Originally posted by JasonJ

There are a lot of DaoCers holding back. There seems to be a split between those that actually think DaoC was the best MMO...the TESO backers and the CU backers.

Some over on the TESO side sure do think you guys are crazy even though they still say the same things were great about DaoC as you do.

Why don't they think they can do both? I know I do? I post on both TESO and CU forums, and am looking forward to both. It's not exclusive lol.

You could play TESO for a few YEARS before CU even releases. At that point you can make a more informed decision about which one you'd rather play. Which, by the way, you'll probably have devoured most of the PVE content in TESO you desire to anyway, and RVR will be your endgame in either game either way... so why not play the one designed for it, rather than the one that's a split.

But that's a choice I've reserved 2-3 years down the line. Keep your options open, ya know. 

Besides more competition is a good thing. I like to encourage competition. It might make either TESO or CU or both better games.

I think people supporting TESO for the RVR/AVA, should also support CU, because what if like with GW2, TESO's rvr isn't all it's cracked up to be? Just sayin'....

Or they'll both still be good in 3 years, and I'll play both for different reasons.

• EasymodeXEasymodeX Member Posts: 149

I'd honestly be surprised if TESO doesn't include gear creep from the PvE side and other PvE-related requirements that just get tedious at best.

Pretty much every PvP MMO that included PvE has done that to one extent or another over the past decade, and I would be shocked if an IP with as much investment into the "lore" and "story" / world as ESO doesn't go down the same route.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    I have not donated yet. I am waiting to see how it does towards the end. I will most likely buy the $30-50 range when I do. Dont really like KS but will toss a few bucks in if they need help towards the 2mil.