Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] - WildStar - Are you up for 40m raids?

Comments

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

40 man raids.... too many people. sorry. just say NO

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    40 minutes isn't a huge amount of time.
  • Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

The poll is pretty lame so I wouldn't really give it much credit.

Massive group content can be fun.  But if it's just scripted instanced progression raiding, then no thanks.  The entire game has to revolve around it or the system doesn't work and it's just lame content.

I don't really consider world bosses, sieges, or massive pvp battles the same as scripted instanced progression raiding that are offered in WoW, EQ2, Rift, and LotRO (lotros has the worst raids ever).

So if it's generic raiding gear treadmill b.s. then no I don't want to do that.  If it is world bosses / events or massive pvp battles then sure.

^this ... If it's just a gear grind, count me out, world boss just for the pleasure of the achievement... Ya.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    if you cant handle 40 peep raids, or waiting a bit of time to get a group together.... maybe a MMO is not for you, HMMM???????

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• TokenaruTokenaru Member Posts: 58
    Tired of this casual, instant gratification market....its sickening.  If you dont like what wildstar is doing guess what theres always WoW.  Seems like every mmorpg that has come out since wotlk has been casual garbage that requires no skill or thought.  Blizzard pissed away thier talent and they went elsewhere to develope games after The Burning Crusade.  This is why Diablo 3 sucks and why WoW continues to be dumbed down.  I miss the 40 man raiding days and I say bring it on, I just hope every developer has learned that taking the passion out of game design and replacing it with greed is the wrong answer. 
    Originally posted by TheJoda
    if you cant handle 40 peep raids, or waiting a bit of time to get a group together.... maybe a MMO is not for you, HMMM???????

So the people who enjoy MMOs that do not include 40 person raids, or raids at all, should just quit those.  Because according to you, MMOs aren't for them.

Anyways, I prefer to play a game, rather than wait to play.  I respect your opinion that waiting for hours is fun though.  I'm glad you are able to handle standing in a game.

Originally posted by Tokenaru
    Tired of this casual, instant gratification market....its sickening.  If you dont like what wildstar is doing guess what theres always WoW.  Seems like every mmorpg that has come out since wotlk has been casual garbage that requires no skill or thought.  Blizzard pissed away thier talent and they went elsewhere to develope games after The Burning Crusade.  This is why Diablo 3 sucks and why WoW continues to be dumbed down.  I miss the 40 man raiding days and I say bring it on, I just hope every developer has learned that taking the passion out of game design and replacing it with greed is the wrong answer. 

So if an MMO doesn't have 40 person raids, it is casual and garbage?

Well, that is an interesting thought.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by QuisTabris

The reason EQ end game 60+ raids worked so amazingly well, for so long, is because if you killed a freaking GOD, it took killing the next more powerful god or super boss to even replace that item...sometimes those items never were replaced... Very few 'epic' loots were replaced by anything but equal or more epic boss kills....and as the expansions progressed, it took serious effort from players, sovling real puzzles in order to even gain access to the boss to even attempt killing. This created a very "this is fucking epic" feeling. Progression made huge differences in your character, and for bragging rights amongst other top tier guilds. Competition is fun. Challenging encounters are fun. coordinating a strike force is fun. This is why raids were successfull, not just because it was good loot.

the problem now is either old hardcore players just "dont have the time" to play like that anymore, but they still want to feel like they did when they raided end game phat lootz, so 15-25 man content is ideal for them, ...and.... that the casual gamer has taken over so much of the market that developers are afraid of introducing anything from EQ that made the game so special. 

MMO's are missing the real "epicness" that 40+ man raiding offers. EQ would've never had the subscriber base as long as it did (or still does!), and if WoW did not launch with 40 man raids, would've missed out on the subs they needed at launch from the dozens and dozens of huge guilds coming over from EQ.

you are correct, those raids were epic and loots were great and bragging rights too!....thats the real issue now a days.  No one wants to wait or do those epic quest, these kids want everything now and will pay at a cash shop for them =/

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• TokenaruTokenaru Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

No thats not what im saying at all, im just calling it like I see it.  The Burning Crusade was the last of the 40man raids and since then the market has shifted to being way to easy.  Is it because of 40 man raids per say, probably not but it is definatly a design change Blizzard made at that time that other Developers followed like blind sheep.  Do you ever wonder why you hop from mmo to mmo seeking a place to call home, trying out the latest new game only to find a shallow, hollow experience?  This may not speak for you but it does for me, I want to be challnged, I want to be told im not prepared and spend a long time with a group of folks to defeat an epic encounter.

Originally posted by kadepsyson

No thats not what im saying at all, im just calling it like I see it.  The Burning Crusade was the last of the 40man raids and since then the market has shifted to being way to easy.  Is it because of 40 man raids per say, probably not but it is definatly a design change Blizzard made at that time that other Developers followed like blind sheep.

OK.  Anything to say about Wildstar?  Or are you hoping to pass time raiding until whatever Titan is gets announced?

I mean really, you keep going on about only Blizzard games.  Yeah, some of them had raids but cmon.  Wildstar.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Sorry, but I can't stop laughing at those, who think that it's too damn hard and complicated to organize 40 people for a raid.

We're organizing multilingual 500 or even 1000-player raids over different timezomes in EvE Online for several years now, and it's no problem at all.

The only people having problems with these big numbers are the ones that are simply not dedicated enough or having pronlems with ADHD.
    A normal person shouldn't have any troubles to listen to the raidlead and follow orders for some two hours without running to the bathroom or kitchen every 10 minutes.
    You know the time when the raid is supposed to start, so go pee and have dinner before the raid starts.
    Voicechat discipline isn't that hard either. Simply mute your f*n microphone if you can't keep your mouth shut. Push-to-talk is mandatory aswell, as noone wants to hear you sneezing or talking to your GF etc.

Seriously, if you have troubles with a 40-player raid, then the problem is with you, not with the size of the raid.

Originally posted by Yalexy

Sorry, but I can't stop laughing at those, who think that it's too damn hard and complicated to organize 40 people for a raid.

We're organizing multilingual 500-player raids over different timezomes in EvE Online for several years now, and it's no problem at all.

The only people having problems with these big numbers are the ones that are simply not dedicated enough or having pronlems with ADHD.
    A normal person shouldn't have any troubles to listen to the raidlead and follow orders for some two hours without running to the bathroom or kitchen every 10 minutes.
    You know the time when the raid is supposed to start, so go pee and have dinner before the raid starts.
    Voicechat discipline isn't that hard either. Simply mute your f*n microphone if you can't keep your mouth shut. Push-to-talk is mandatory aswell, as noone wants to hear you sneezing or talking to your GF etc.

Seriously, if you have troubles with a 40-player raid, then the problem is with you, not with the size of the raid.

I agree with what you say here.

I'd also like to mention that for me it isn't the amount of players, or the time required, but rather how terrible it is in terms of game design.  It's a system designed to string people along playing and paying for extended times, while repeating the same content for months.  It saves development costs because the players do the same few raids over and over, rather than large amounts of varied areas or encounters.  It's a cash grab and filled with repetitive boredom.  Then, everything that was worked for through these raids is made worthless when the next (paid) expansion releases.

So I'd much rather have a huge epic battle in EVE with several times that number of players in a combat situation that can suddenly change from what was expected, than repeatedly 'kill' the same boss for months over and over so he can give me a glove that'll be useless soon after I get it.

It's poor game design, and yet some love it and consider it hardcore or even a sign of how dedicated they are.  Laughable, really.

• VembumeesVembumees Member Posts: 79

We're organizing multilingual 500 or even 1000-player raids over different timezomes in EvE Online for several years now, and it's no problem at all.

If mmorpg had upvotes I'd want to give you 100.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

I guess this is a problem in my life that I'll have to live with...

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Having gone through Molten Core, way, WAY too many times, not only no, but HELL NO.  Trying to get 40 people together, at one time and place is bad enough.  Then getting them all to work together is even worse.  Not to mention the inevitable AFK's and discons.  Its just not worth the effort to me.   There are many good reasons why games have moved away from such large raids. Nothing has changed to mitigate that.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Laugh all you wish.  I'm not going to center my life and its various patterns around a game. Its a hobby to me.  A source of entertainment, NOT a second job.   I spent almost six years in EVE, so I'm familiar with some of the fanatics involved with the game.  It doesn't surprise me that they have developed methods of semi controlling their blobs by this point.  But EVE is rather different from the typical MMO.  Not to mention the pro PvP EVE corps, tend to be much more hard core and professional, than most in other games.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • VembumeesVembumees Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by Wraithone

Laugh all you wish.  I'm not going to center my life and its various patterns around a game. Its a hobby to me.  A source of entertainment, NOT a second job.   I spent almost six years in EVE, so I'm familiar with some of the fanatics involved with the game.  It doesn't surprise me that they have developed methods of semi controlling their blobs by this point.  But EVE is rather different from the typical MMO.  Not to mention the pro PvP EVE corps, tend to be much more hard core and professional, than most in other games.

That's great. And I can name some themepark mmorpg's that are just for your taste: Swtor, WoW, Rift, GW2. Also some less AAA titles, but I am not going bother naming them. Actually in addition, I know about 20+ of casual mmorpg's you can play as well, without that stupid-ass raiding.

You can play as a hobby in these ones and do everything in the game. 3 hours a day is enough, if you are efficient, you can even manage with less.. While those games don't really offer pretty much anything anymore to the people who do want to spend a lot of time doing the game content. I don't see how having one themepark game that as well caters to those players is a bad thing. I personally am tired of farming moba's and path of exile for years and would like to play an mmorpg that I wouldn't have completed in a month  like every themepark title there. I hope WildStar delivers that.

No one forces anyone to raid. If you don't want to be part of that 1% or don't find it appealing, then don't for fucks sake. Why can't it be in the game then? If you love leveling, then level, love pvp, pvp, love raiding, raid, love rp, rp. Why the hell do you need to boycott for the feature to be removed from the game overall? It's just amazing how casuals are so selfish, but somehow template the "elites" the assholes. I honestly can tell that I don't give a slightest fuck about any social, questing, etc bla bla bla features in the game, pretty much any features implemented into GW2, that are just implemented there for the average casual joe's enjoyment. But I'm not going to cry for an eternity for them being a horrible design, too hard, too easy, blahblahblah. I will just do whatever the hell I enjoy in a game and let the rest enjoy their parts.

• healboothealboot Member UncommonPosts: 103
    I would like 40 man raids if they were instigated by the game and forced on the random people who hapened to be near said raid spot at random game generated time. Hell I might even stay up too late trying to help
  • steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

i now finally have a game to follow

Everyone spouts the 1% for WoW.... it was that 1% mark that drove people. If you hit it on your server, you were elite.

I find the casual shitfest WoW has turned into boring. I tried to resub, leveled a healer to get back into the feel of things.... i played for a month and just felt the game had no soul at all. There was nothing great to shoot for that was actually hard to get.

I earned my bene/anat staff in Vanilla, it was awesome to have. I earned my pink robes in AQ. I earned my tiger mount in ZG. I earned all my BWL tier gear.

We had just started learning Naxx when the xpac was announced to have no 40 man raids. Most of us quit the game.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by Vembumees
    Originally posted by Wraithone

That's great. And I can name some themepark mmorpg's that are just for your taste: Swtor, WoW, Rift, GW2. Also some less AAA titles, but I am not going bother naming them. Actually in addition, I know about 20+ of casual mmorpg's you can play as well, without that stupid-ass raiding.

You can play as a hobby in these ones and do everything in the game. 3 hours a day is enough, if you are efficient, you can even manage with less.. While those games don't really offer pretty much anything anymore to the people who do want to spend a lot of time doing the game content. I don't see how having one themepark game that as well caters to those players is a bad thing. I personally am tired of farming moba's and path of exile for years and would like to play an mmorpg that I wouldn't have completed in a month  like every themepark title there. I hope WildStar delivers that.

No one forces anyone to raid. If you don't want to be part of that 1% or don't find it appealing, then don't for fucks sake. Why can't it be in the game then? If you love leveling, then level, love pvp, pvp, love raiding, raid, love rp, rp. Why the hell do you need to boycott for the feature to be removed from the game overall? It's just amazing how casuals are so selfish, but somehow template the "elites" the assholes. I honestly can tell that I don't give a slightest fuck about any social, questing, etc bla bla bla features in the game, pretty much any features implemented into GW2, that are just implemented there for the average casual joe's enjoyment. But I'm not going to cry for an eternity for them being a horrible design, too hard, too easy, blahblahblah. I will just do whatever the hell I enjoy in a game and let the rest enjoy their parts.

Help me out here? Who is saying they will Boycott Wildstar or don't want 40 man raids in the game at all?

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Anubzara

It's amazing how negative the feedback for 40 man raids is considering all the factors.... All you disappointed casuals, consider it this way.

Just as it has been stated a thousand times over, 40 man raids are not the core of end game, they are one path. Then there are all these other paths for the different niches of characters.

Have you thought about it? That there is a community of hardcore raiders and you are basically flaming their end game niche and saying they don't deserve it while asking for support with all of the others? How self righteous and self absorbed can you people get?

Carbine is attempting to give every group of players something they can do and yet you flame them because you won't be able to do everything. Casuals continue to believe that everything should be handed to them or that they should magically get access to everything for no reason whatsoever... If you can't put the time and effort into composing a group of people, then don't do it! Its not an amazing metaphor but it would be like being jealous and saying how unfair it is that a player has an amazing crafted sword, but then not putting in the effort to level your own crafting skill to get it because it's "too hard".

Comon guys.... its ridiculous... When is it going to end? Oh thats right, it won't, because humanity is imperfect, jealous, unsatisfied, and doomed to ruin itself.

Sad day...

Branifus,

P.S. I don't post often on the forums if at all due to the negativity of the gaming community and the lack of maturity therein. So the trolls can flame my numbers but my words above have consistent logic. I'm open to other thought processes, but within every MMO i follow i see the same thing.

Unsatisfied people every time...

There has yet to be a game with raiding that doesn't shaft other play styles.  I'll believe it when I see it, till then, they're no different than every other hardcore loving developer.

• revslaverevslave Member UncommonPosts: 154

In My experience the problem was constantly fielding a raid force with just XX.  Having the ability to bring every person out while logistically very difficult is not the same as have an entire guild based around HC raiding.  It has been a very long time since I Raided in EQ2 but when the raid cap is 24 and the guild is 27-28 people raiding 20+ hours a week you come across other issues.

Comparing EVE to a raiding game is just not accurate and diminishes both games logistical hurdles. That being sad I believe that EVE meta-end game is a hell of a lot better than any raid system despite how many people you add.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

I think it could work if they make getting groups together easier.

a word of caution..  If you make the gear the best available, then it could ruin the game.  If the stat difference was maybe 7% total with all slots upgraded, then it could work, but the super inflation of über ness ruins balance for he rest of the game... That's why people stack pve gear in pvp.  Keep the % close to five percent total so that there is some incentive and it is the top pve gear but not to a ridiculous extent.

ps.  Thought I heard something about them scaling raids between 20 and 40 so it didn't have to be exact?  Anyone else hear that or something else.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

with having nearly 300 votes .... and 48% being up for 40man raids i guess we can come to the conclusion that at least on MMORPG.com there is quiet abit of interest in the 40man scene :)

thanks for all the feedback and interesting reads so far :)

• mrbungle419mrbungle419 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    One of about 3 features that still have me interested in the game.  If they removed 40 man raids there would be a 0% chance of me giving this game a try.