Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for New MMORPG

subterminalsubterminal Member Posts: 3

Hi folks,

I haven't played a good mmorpg in awhile and am looking for one to get into. I played Ultima Online for a few years and loved it. Around the same time, I also enjoyed playing Diablo 2 for a short amount of time. However, when D3 game out, I quickly grew board of it as the lack of depth just didn't hold the same appeal for me as Ultima Online did.

I've only played a handful of MMOs and I really don't know what's out there. So I'm hoping you guys can give me some opinions! I've looked at lists on the internet, but there's no telling how biased those lists are given the company's advertisment relationship with the game.

I was thinking I could just spout off a quick list of what I liked about UO, and you guys might be able to point me in the right direction.

Elements of Ultima Online that I liked:

-Resource Gathering/Processing & Crafting System

You could cut down trees, mine for ore, skin animals for hides, then have to further process the raw materials before using them to craft an enourmous array of goods. You could craft armor, weapons, deco for house, stuff for pets, you name it. And there were various crafting skills relating to the item you were crafting (blacksmithy, tailor, tinkering, etc...).

-Skill System

Skills were based on a 700.0 point system, where you could put 100.0 skill points max into each skill. You gained by 0.1 at a time, which was easier the closer you were to 0. Also, skills could be locked, or toggled to go down to re-arrange skills. And there were tons of skills! From crafting & resource gathering, to magery, to warrior, to tamer. You could tame animals like dragons, horses, etc.

-PvP

Holy goddamn... It was so in depth that it's hard to explain. Mages had 100+ spells they could mix and match on-the-fly for infinate combos. Warriors had special abilities pertaining to weapons and weapon class. You could drink potions on the fly, disarm and steal people's weapons, the list goes on....

-Housing

You could build a house on a clear area of land, then customize your house from the ground up. Item storage was pretty sweet.

-One Big Game

Everyone's characters were in the same realm. You could consistantly see 50+ people sitting around the town bank of several towns buying/selling their stuff. I hated how Diablo started new games and limited it to 4-8 people per game session. Here are two pictures to give you an idea: Pic 1 and Pic 2

So yeah.... Please recommend me any game you feel is similar to this. Thanks!

Comments

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

I just kind of glanced at your post, but saw you were disappointed in D3's lack of depth and enjoyed the depth in UO's pvp. Then I skipped to my reply to suggest two games.

First is Path of Exile. It's an arpg like diablo. It has you covered for depth. The skill forest cannot be described but must be seen. It isn't perfect, there are occasional desync problems (things warping about) and the meta heavily favors ranged over melee but the devs (Grinding Gear Games) have shown they're capable of good stuff and I think the game is only going to get better. It's free and in open beta now and there will not be any more server wipes. Check it out for sure.

The other one is EVE Online. There's no skirting the issue, you have to be able to get past the fact that you play much of the game through menus. If you can accept this, it's got depth like you wouldn't believe. Everyone should at least try it. CCP offers a two week trial and you can do as many of those as you like. If you message me an email I can send you a buddy invite for a three week trial. Were you to accept this and wind up subbing, it would create (through you spending money) an item for me in game that sells for half a billion and I'd send back 350 mill. I'm stating this up front because you'll get plenty of offers on forums and in game channels that will neglect to mention this bit.  Try EVE out, if you like it find a fun corp as soon as you can because the social interactions ARE the game, do this while trusting no one with anything of value and all contracts you see linked in local channels are scams.

Now I'll go read your post

Yeah, i'll stand by my EVE recommendation if you can get past the UI.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

What depth does PoE have that D3 didn't? The passive tree is alot of skill points but you still have to build your character a certain way to survive merciless difficulty and maps. Also the economy in default is atrocious, its not that bad in hardcore but default is just plain rediculous.

The batering system itself is a fail in my eyes.  If they did it to combat gold farmers, didn't work. If they did it because they didn't want set prices for stuff, again didn't work. Just made it harder for people to figure out an items worth and also easier for people to get scammed if they didn't know the current rates for orbs.

Also no AH. Trading atm consists of spamming your wares repeatedly in all trade chat channels or going to forums and making a post about what you have to sell. They say they're working on integrating the forum trading with in game so it'll be a sort of psuedo AH but until thats in the works, its a pain in the ass right now.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• AgoniasAgonias Member Posts: 11
    Try Darkfall Unholy Wars.
  • subterminalsubterminal Member Posts: 3

Darkfall actually looks pretty sick. I'm going to check into it more.

As for EVE, I watched some gameplay and wasn't digging the menu system much. I should have also mentioned I'm looking for a warrior/spellcaster/monster type genre.

**EDIT - I want a large population as well. I've been looking at Rift and WoW. Any comments on those?

• A1D3NA1D3N Member UncommonPosts: 276

i look for similair too you, and i have been for years now,

there isnt much out there

WoW is old.... and boring, i thinks its too old for myself to get into WoW cos the game is starting to die down and i dont personaly want to start a dieing game,

Rift is prob 1 of the best latest mmo's ive played, i got max lvl on it, then got abit bored, came back 2 months later and my server was deserted... and all the pvp server were too, the only populated ones were pve, so that put me off also

Currently Playing:
    ...... :(

Originally posted by A1D3N

WoW is old.... and boring, i thinks its too old for myself to get into WoW cos the game is starting to die down and i dont personaly want to start a dieing game,

Rift is prob 1 of the best latest mmo's ive played, i got max lvl on it, then got abit bored, came back 2 months later and my server was deserted... and all the pvp server were too, the only populated ones were pve, so that put me off also

WoW...a dying game. Oh boy.  WoW still has over 9 million players, a far cry more than most MMOs put together. And you're worried about starting WoW...cause its dying?

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by A1D3N

World of Warcraft will not die anytime soon. There's too many fanboys for that not happening.

Keep in mind that no MMORPG has half as many subs as WoW, so with your logic all other MMORPGs are dead.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

If the appearance of the game is to your liking as well as it being F2P (though if you sub up like you would UO you get everything unlocked plus some perks) there's no better alternative to UO than Mabinogi.

The game has resource gathering. Wield a dagger or gathering knife to shear sheep. Use a bottle to milk cows. Take an axe to a tree. Mine, gather vegetables and herbs, fish, leather, etc. There's a few crafting skills that take those raw materials and turn them into workable materials (one turns spiderwebs/wool/leather into tailoring materials, wood into lumber, metals into ignots) and then crafting classes to finish items. The items you can make require blueprints, most rare items need a person to make them and even if they exist elsewhere in the game crafters can make the best version.

Both have skill systems and no classes. Mabinogi has tons of skillsets, though no limit on what ranks you can achieve. It's mostly about what weapon your using that determines your play style at that time. Instead of points, you raise your skill from Rank F all the way to Rank 1. At Rank 1 you can head to a specific place in game and take a master test to complete it fully.

Not too much in the way of PVP, but combat itself is something totally different to any game I've played. Here's a tutorial of some tactics people use with the right skills. Each weapon type has it's own hit distance, splash damage, speed, combo amounts, etc.

There's housing too. There's a few "housing areas" on one continent that each has a place for a guild castle. The guild that wins the bidding period for the lot of the castle (it happens every week I believe, with the guild currently holding it having an advantage in bidding) gets to control the housing area, and they can build up housing lots for other players to rent out. The rent you pay monthly on the house goes directly to the guild that owns the area, but you can add tons of furniture like UO (though not as varied) and use it as a shop.

Mabi has tons of little features that makes me stay around that few/no other games have. Composable music with variety of different insturments, an aging system where you age one year a week (after age 20 you can rebirth back down to age 17 or keep going), a weight system that lets you gain or lose weight in upper, lower, and core body (included with a very in depth cooking system), a job system where you work for NPC's at certain hours kind of like UO's BOD, weather and day system that gives in game effects, etc. Don't let the look turn you off - it's the best sandbox out there IMO that doesn't revolve entirely around combat/supplying combat (EVE).

• OranguOrangu Member Posts: 32

Me personally I find it more enjoyable to start gaming at the release of a game. Population is higher and you are generally on the same level/gaming stage as the rest of the population. Check out some of these upcoming games maybe one of them will peak your interest. Some are realing this month or sometime this year some are a year or more away, but still worth checking out.

Age of Wushu, Darkfall Unholy Wars, Neverwinter, Wildstar, The Elder Scrolls Online, Star Citizen and Camelot Unchained (currently on Kickstarter).

• LuxferreGamingLuxferreGaming Member Posts: 12

The game you might be looking for is Path of Exile. I looked at your post and it seems as though you are looking for depth and complex systems that most MMO's today lack. Your standards have been spoiled by the greatness that is/was UO however. I don't believe anything will come close to the combinations that could be created in that game.

Path of Exile's passive skill tree is very amazing and allows for tons of diversity. Want to be a tanky mage? go for it. Did you want to be a fast moving tank that uses summons? go for it. Will your build be the best? maybe not, but you can be unique and still have a good build.

The games levelling is quite fast, though after level 70 or so it starts to get dull, though you did play Diablo 2 and 3... those games do get repetitive as such. Good luck, I know longer play PoE myself, but you might like it; I had a 63 and a 50.

Originally posted by Orangu

Me personally I find it more enjoyable to start gaming at the release of a game. Population is higher and you are generally on the same level/gaming stage as the rest of the population. Check out some of these upcoming games maybe one of them will peak your interest. Some are realing this month or sometime this year some are a year or more away, but still worth checking out.

Age of Wushu, Darkfall Unholy Wars, Neverwinter, Wildstar, The Elder Scrolls Online, Star Citizen and Camelot Unchained (currently on Kickstarter).

thats not always true, population in a good game will GROW over time, it won't be at higher at its initial release.

• jfoytekjfoytek Member CommonPosts: 150

If  you loved the the Ulitma Online Sandbox then you need to try WURM ONLINE

Again I say Wurm Online the BEST SANDBOX / Crafting game you have never heard of!!!

I loved Ultima Online, SWG pre NGE and I floated about aimlessly playing every MMO that released never happy till I found out about WURM ONLINE!!!

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

• nosam9nosam9 Member Posts: 21

WoW is seriously good. So what if others have played it for years and are bored. It is a very ploshed game and works really well. Tons of content to explore. Very good PvP and dungeon content if you want to do that sometimes.

They have a very good trial. You can run dungeons, PvP and see a lot of PVE content - almost all the classes for free. You can learn any craft under the free - up to level 20 - trial also. Try it out.  Playing only free it is still better than a lot of other MMOs out there.

Rift is good too, but not perfect, and not nearly as good as WoW is. Only thing is some people don't like WoWs art style.