Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questing style in TESO?

TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

What is the questing style supposed to be like in TESO in the PVE?

1) More wow style, where you go to quest hubs and get a bunch of quests, and do them one by one?

2) Still quest style, but no real hubs? As in you kind of move around and come across quests in the world as you wander/explore?.

3) More GW2 style or WAR PQ style, where there aren't really quests you accept or reject, you just kind of show up in an area, and just by participating/being in the area you complete the activity.

4) some other style I didn't mention?

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

Comments

• HycooHycoo Member UncommonPosts: 217
    I think it's mostly 2). Most quests are given by NPCs, but you also find notes, corpses etc. that start quests.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Tuktz

What is the questing style supposed to be like in TESO in the PVE?

1) More wow style, where you go to quest hubs and get a bunch of quests, and do them one by one?

2) Still quest style, but no real hubs? As in you kind of move around and come across quests in the world as you wander/explore?.

3) More GW2 style or WAR PQ style, where there aren't really quests you accept or reject, you just kind of show up in an area, and just by participating/being in the area you complete the activity.

4) some other style I didn't mention?

There are supposedly no quest hubs as per the wow design, instead quests are things you happen upon in most cases, they are layered/phased. Meaning what you do in them impacts you later on. Read some of the PAX previews for an idea on how they work.

I guess this would be choice 4? Granted I do not know how the main quest-lines work, they may be more hub like (lead you from place to place)

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

We can divine a little from the limited exposes, but unlike factors like the faction lock, the main NPC bad guys, the unplayability of Imperials (all announced and confirmed by Zenimax) we don't know sufficient detail to make any judgements about questing styles.

The limited PAX info may be just a small part of the story - beginner areas are seldom just like later zones in many MMOs.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

I am so sick of linear, solo, going from quest to quest as your only outlet for progression..

"Questing" or call it what it really is - chore exp, is so over done and just makes for a bad game.

I really hope that it's more open ended where you can just dungeon crawl or explore caves by yourself or with a group and it is viable exp

GROUP EXP SHOULD ALWAYS BE THE BEST EXP!!!

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by Hycoo
    I think it's mostly 2). Most quests are given by NPCs, but you also find notes, corpses etc. that start quests.

The two things I came upon were:

1, a gentleman who says that imps are atttackign a small town. Your quest log updtaes and you go to the small town to some sort of guard captain who indicates that not only are the imps an issue but "someone" (can't remember who) is lost. You can then see an area on your map where this person might be.

I didn't finish the quest as I usually don't care about quests.

2, there is a ruined tower with a hidden trap door. If you go through the trap door you find a bandit hideout and two bandit guards that are guarding an entrance. If you look down and to the right there is a "note" that talks about what's going on there. I believe you will find several if you make your way through, each giving more info. Not sure if that info then triggers a quest as our time was up.

For the most part all this stuff is disseminated through exploration. At least the small bit I saw.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    From what I've read and heard, the questing style is more like Skyrim than anything else.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

• Questing and story progression will revolve largely around “hubless quest design” in order to preserve the sense of freeform exploration and progression which is an iconic feature of the Elder Scrolls. The game uses focal “points of interest” which are self-contained adventure modules that players may encounter during their travels. Townsfolk will direct players towards nearby POIs, but Zenimax Online is trying to shy away from quest hubs and breadcrumb chains. Many NPCs can direct the player to the same quest, so the player can easily find nearby quests without needing floating exclamation marks or strategy guides.
    • Many quests are simple bite-sized adventures, however there are also quest sagas which span entire zones and tell grand tales which reveal segments of the overarching plot line of the game.
    • While some quests are acquired from NPCs in major cities and towns, many quests can only be encountered through exploration. Quest givers are often near the enterances of dungeons or other points of interest, where enterprising players can seek them out.
    • Quest areas are phased, such that depending on a player’s progress through the game’s story arcs he or she may experience a modified version of towns, dungeons, and NPCs. In order to avoid many of the past pitfalls of phased content, ZOS is allowing any player who has previously completed a story arc to repeat the content with friends.
    • Quest rewards and public boss drops are individual specific and linked to the player’s class. This is to encourage grouping without penalizing players by forcing them to distribute shared loot. Additionally, many quest objectives are automatically shared with nearby players in the world to encourage cooperation, even if players don’t actually form a group. Furthermore, there are no kill lockouts. If you assist a fellow player in slaying monsters, both of you will recieve experience and quest credit even if you are not grouped. Zenimax wants to discourage competitiveness within ones own faction, and encourage players to work together against common enemies.
    • Almost all of the iconic opponents from previous Elder Scrolls games will be present in TESO, including daedra, giants, and mudcrabs! Each monster type has its own unique and distinct behaviors.
    • Dragons will not feature in the MMO at launch, as they are not involved in the history of Tamriel at this time.
    • Endgame PvE content will be periodically released in the form of “adventure zones”, which are dangerous and uncivilized regions of Tamriel within which many dangers lurk. These adventure zones

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED