Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lets set aside the Faction Lock

Comments

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by cakelizard

how dare people feel entitled to play a game they buy. HOW FUCKING DARE THEY.

Buying entitles you to change it to suit your individula preferences? When I buy a Honda Civic I don't whine because it isn't a Porsche. Do you?

Maybe you should. Maybe after long, loud complaining Honda will initiate a recall and swap out certain parts of your Civic with Porsche parts. The doors, pieces of the engine, the tires, etc.

I mean, the doors won't fit right, the tires will likely rub against the undercarriage, and what you get back in the engine itself will leave it barely driveable... You know, this feels like a metaphor for something.

• AnakamiAnakami Member Posts: 103

In the midst of this chaos, three alliances vie for control of the Imperial City and the White-Gold Tower. High Rock, Sentinel, and Orsinium stand as one, united under the rule of the High King in Wayrest. Valenwood and Elsweyr have forged an alliance of their own with Summerset, while Black Marsh, Morrowind, and Skyrim have formed a third, uneasy pact.

The Daggerfall Covenant. The Aldmeri Dominion. The Ebonheart Pact.

Three armies will take up arms against the Empire, and against each other, to wrest control of the Imperial City and White-Gold Tower from the dark forces of Oblivion itself.

Where do your loyalties lie?

It seems to me you read the parts you liked and then stopped. Highlighted it for you to make it harder to miss. So now....what's the story about again?

I was rather referring to the story presented within the game in form of quests. I doubt they will be all about that conflict, because if that passage you quoted is any indication, they did not bother to come up with much of an explanation.

Sounds for me more like "Well, there is this evil Daedric prince who wants to take over the world. Now go and fight a racial war because this is the perfect time and moment for it instead of banding together to face that threat."

Seriously, you have to marvel at the lengthy and well thought out explanation given by them for the conflict between the alliances :D

Originally posted by Anakami

In the midst of this chaos, three alliances vie for control of the Imperial City and the White-Gold Tower. High Rock, Sentinel, and Orsinium stand as one, united under the rule of the High King in Wayrest. Valenwood and Elsweyr have forged an alliance of their own with Summerset, while Black Marsh, Morrowind, and Skyrim have formed a third, uneasy pact.

Three armies will take up arms against the Empire, and against each other, to wrest control of the Imperial City and White-Gold Tower from the dark forces of Oblivion itself.

It seems to me you read the parts you liked and then stopped. Highlighted it for you to make it harder to miss. So now....what's the story about again?

I was rather referring to the story presented within the game in form of quests. I doubt they will be all about that conflict, because if that passage you quoted is any indication, they did not bother to come up with much of an explanation.

Sounds for me more like "Well, there is this evil Daedric prince who wants to take over the world. Now go and fight a racial war because this is the perfect time and moment for it instead of banding together to face that threat."

Seriously, you have to marvel at the lengthy and well thought out explanation given by them for the conflict between the alliances :D

The only 'story' info we have is summary information. I know it's been brought up to you before, because I'm the one who brought it up. You replied, so I assume you read the post.

When you read the summary on the back of a Novel, do you expect to know the full story without reading the book? When you read the description blurb of a TV show, do you expect to know everything that will happen in the episode? You have a brief snapshot of what the story will be about, but the 'lengthy and well thought out explanations' will likely be saved for when you get into the game itself.

Seriously, I can see you staring at the Skyrim box and asking the store clerk, "But WHY am I the Dragonborn? It doesn't say on the box..."

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

There's chaos... different factions try to take advantage of the chaos to become the dominant faction. Yeah it sounds, like you know, outlandish. Like that would never happen in fiction, much less real life, fer sure.

You know there comes a time when the points you earn for perseverance are not nearly enough to counteract the failure of your logic.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by rygard49
    Originally posted by cakelizard

how dare people feel entitled to play a game they buy. HOW FUCKING DARE THEY.

Buying entitles you to change it to suit your individula preferences? When I buy a Honda Civic I don't whine because it isn't a Porsche. Do you?

Maybe you should. Maybe after long, loud complaining Honda will initiate a recall and swap out certain parts of your Civic with Porsche parts. The doors, pieces of the engine, the tires, etc.

I mean, the doors won't fit right, the tires will likely rub against the undercarriage, and what you get back in the engine itself will leave it barely driveable... You know, this feels like a metaphor for something.

It does seem oddly familiar :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

The only 'story' info we have is summary information. I know it's been brought up to you before, because I'm the one who brought it up. You replied, so I assume you read the post.

When you read the summary on the back of a Novel, do you expect to know the full story without reading the book? When you read the description blurb of a TV show, do you expect to know everything that will happen in the episode? You have a brief snapshot of what the story will be about, but the 'lengthy and well thought out explanations' will likely be saved for when you get into the game itself.

Seriously, I can see you staring at the Skyrim box and asking the store clerk, "But WHY am I the Dragonborn? It doesn't say on the box..."

Pretty sure also that in Oblivion you had allot of combat with non-demonic forces so the 3 sided conflict works especially if triggered by demonic cults.

While what you say is true, I still am surprised that they did not bother to come up with a bit more than what they put on their website. They had to expect that people familiar with the ES lore and setting would like to know why all of a sudden formerly sworn enemies are now allies and Tamriel is suddenly split by a racial war. I got the impression that they were more concerned with showing off their great PvP mechanics, as the description of those are by far longer than the lore/background for their setting.

While what you say is true, I still am surprised that they did not bother to come up with a bit more than what they put on their website. They had to expect that people familiar with the ES lore and setting would like to know why all of a sudden formerly sworn enemies are now allies and Tamriel is suddenly split by a racial war. I got the impression that they were more concerned with showing off their great PvP mechanics, as the description of those are by far longer than the lore/background for their setting.

Yet when Nanfoodle said "Every quest, story, crafting, PvP all ties into 3 faction DAoC style war" you retorted with: "the storyline is more about you getting your soul back from Molag Bal, not so much about that Alliance war."

And then when I pointed out the selectivity of your statement, your next comeback was about the lack of quantity of detail...and so on ad nauseum, which brings us finally to your latest...

You don't suppose they're spending extra time describing the PVP mechanics because that's what this MMO is all about do you? Where are the extensive descriptions of the "getting your soul back" mechanics?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Yet when Nanfoodle said "Every quest, story, crafting, PvP all ties into 3 faction DAoC style war" you retorted with: "the storyline is more about you getting your soul back from Molag Bal, not so much about that Alliance war."

And then when I pointed out the selectivity of your statement, your next comeback was about the lack of quantity of detail...and so on ad nauseum, which brings us finally to your latest...

You don't suppose they're spending extra time describing the PVP mechanics because that's what this MMO is all about do you? Where are the extensive descriptions of the "getting your soul back" mechanics?

This is interesting, I didn't see or hear them say that. When I watched the videos and interviews they seemed as much concerned about being as close to the ES experience as possible, as they were about their PvP in Cyrodill. So it certainly isn't all about the PvP ;) And because they are so concerned about delivering a good ES experience, my criticism ties right in with that concern. Of course they don't have to see it like I did, and that is their right, but I thought I'd voice my disagreement anyway.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

From their website: It is a time of strife and unrest. Armies of revenants and dark spirits manifest in every corner of Tamriel. Winters grow colder and crops fail. Mystics are plagued by nightmares and portents of doom.Four years ago, in 2E 578, an arcane explosion of energy in the Imperial City set off mystical aftershocks that swept across Nirn. Mages died or went mad. Supernatural abominations from the plane of Oblivion, the Daedra, appeared in greater numbers than ever before. The constellation of the Serpent grew so large that it dominated the night sky.So began the grand scheme of Molag Bal, Daedric Prince of domination and enslavement. His Dark Anchors, vortexes of evil magic, weaken the barrier between worlds, threatening to merge Nirn and Oblivion into a single, nightmarish hellscape.In the midst of this chaos, three alliances vie for control of the Imperial City and the White-Gold Tower. High Rock, Sentinel, and Orsinium stand as one, united under the rule of the High King in Wayrest. Valenwood and Elsweyr have forged an alliance of their own with Summerset, while Black Marsh, Morrowind, and Skyrim have formed a third, uneasy pact.The Daggerfall Covenant. The Aldmeri Dominion. The Ebonheart Pact.Three armies will take up arms against the Empire, and against each other, to wrest control of the Imperial City and White-Gold Tower from the dark forces of Oblivion itself.Where do your loyalties lie?It seems to me you read the parts you liked and then stopped. Highlighted it for you to make it harder to miss. So now....what's the story about again?
    It sounds like the story is about a whole world forgetting about their impending doom and instead, worrying about who will sit on a silly throne. Even in Skyrim, a player could halt the Civil War until the threat of Alduin was taken care of. Not here in TES:O, though. Nope. Who will be Emperor is of the utmost importance. Instead of working together as a whole, they divide themselves into 3 factions to fight amongst themselves for control of a world in dire peril.

Personally, I have no desire to help in any way that bunch of power mongers who put their own self-interests before saving the whole world.

Nirn and Oblivion merging into a nightmarish conglomeration? No. There is an empty throne to be had!

On Topic:
    the classes
    From what I hear, choosing one's class locks you into some skills, or at least gives bonuses to your character.
    Dragonknight - Offensive Warrior using melee, offensive spells, and defensive spells.
    Templar - Defensive Fighter calling on the power of the Sun for their abilities, including healing.
    Sorcerer - Spell using characters with 3 sub-sets (Dark Magic, Daedric Magic, and Storm Summoning).
    Nightblade - Finesse based assassin.

From Tamriel Foundry (classes/design):
    "Each class can unlock a wide arsenal of skills and abilities, from which players may choose six to actively use at any given time. These class abilities can be changed on the fly, and reflect a players current “loadout” that can be adapted to various situations. Skill selection is one way in which players can differentiate themselves from others of their class."
    It sounds like there are class specific abilities. I could be wrong here.

There is "wiggle room" within the classes, of course. Hopefully not every Dragonknight (or other class) will have the same build. The "Class Abilities" have me worried. None of the 4 classes really grab me. The closest would be the Nightblade, but I'm NOT an assassin. Maybe a Storm Summoning Sorcerer could be fun. I just find the 4 classes very limiting. Where does the bow wielding archer fit in?

Again, from Tamriel Foundry (classes/advancement):
    "There are seven confirmed varieties of skill trees within the game: Class, Weapon, Armor, Racial, World, Guild, and AvA. These categories are (in some cases) further broken down. Each class has three sub-trees, and AvA also features three skill trees. Unique quest based skill trees like those for Lycanthropy or Vampiriism are also present."
    Is switching a class really possible? Can a Dragonknight become a Sorcerer later on, if a player decides that may be more to their liking? Or is it re-roll and start again. Not a bad thing in and of itself (I am an alt-a-holic), but not very TES-like.

Yes, I know about builds, but what exactly are these classes locked into, ie: class abilities? If I choose the Nightblade, will I have some useless (for me not being an assassin), never used "assassinate" ability? I just feel like the classes, which seem like a much more important choice than in the TES games, are a little lacking and restrictive.

the crafting
    I like the discovery terminology. GW2 also called their crafting "discovery based." I'll wait and see how they implement it.

From Tamriel Foundry (gameplay/crafting):
    "Crafting materials will drop off enemy creatures and their exact function must be determined through experimentation. Each crafting component can have four different effects depending on how it is used."
    It looks like crafters will have to fight.

the combat mechanics
    I am confused... Again, from Tamriel Foundry (gameplay/combat):
    "In order to enhance the action-combat feel, combat focuses around the opportunistic use of a stamina bar which allows the player to sprint, block, interrupt, and escape crowd control. By selectively using these strategic abilities, combat in TES:O feels dynamic, despite adhering to turn-based fundamentals which are critical to MMO design. All classes have access to block, sprint, and crouch."
    Huh? "Turn based action combat?" What the heck is that?

Combat does sound interesting. I'm not big on action combat systems, but can do it if the game is fun enough for me to overlook it, ie: the single player games.

the quest layouts
    I don't know what the quests will be like. I cannot say. But there IS an epic, "Save the World" storyline, like in most MMORPGs today. I like those in my single player games, but are very artificial in MMOs.

From Tamriel Foundry (setting/storyline):
    "Playable characters in TES:O are adventurers whose souls have been stolen by Molag Bal. This procedure explains player resurrection within the fiction of the game."
    This resurrection thing has me confused. Does it mean a players resurrection after being defeated in battle? Does it mean the player's resurrection from the start, or character creation aspect?

If it pertains to the fallen in battle, if one frees their soul from Molag Bal, will they no longer be able to resurrect?

If it pertains to character creation, that's a one-time deal and more easily swallowed for me.

Again, the whole of Nirn (Tamriel) is in danger of becoming a hellish nightmare and instead of all the races banding together, they decide to divide themselves up and fight amongst themselves. Helping NPCs seems kind of secondary or even tertiary to me. "Sure! I'll help you recover <insert family heirloom here>. The world will probably end shortly, but I'll lend a hand."

My main thought on this setting as a whole is:
    How will a divided world, fighting amongst themselves, defeat Molag Bal and his sinister plans? My suspension of disbelief has been broken. Other people's may vary.

*This document is old. Some people have played a "sample" of the working game (at PAX East) already. Beta is now going on. More accurate info I am sure is out there, somewhere.*

**My sincerest apologies for the links. Tamriel Foundry's document is set up wonky so linking directly to the page wanted is impossible. Every link goes to the main Development FAQ page (a multiple page document with sub-sections for each page) and you have to navigate to the appropriate section. My apologies.**

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

About the classes: Well, I heard them say you can completely ignore your starting skills and never invest a point in them. Maybe it is like in Morrowind where you could choose from a long list of "classes" but after picking one you could decide to ignore the skills they put into that class and focus on the ones you wanted. So yeah, maybe you would have one or two class specific skills but that choice doesn't force you into a role or path.

About the combat: I like what I've seen so far. The use of your skills is determined by your stamina/mana I think, with a slight delay between using them depending on animation time, not GCD. Not sure about that though, but I think that is what they meant by turn based?

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Theres no more faction lock.

You can group up with the opposing faction and even join guilds with the opposing faction once you getto level 50.  Barring they are on your friends list or in your guild to begin with.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

It sounds like the story is about a whole world forgetting about their impending doom and instead, worrying about who will sit on a silly throne. Even in Skyrim, a player could halt the Civil War until the threat of Alduin was taken care of. Not here in TES:O, though. Nope. Who will be Emperor is of the utmost importance. Instead of working together as a whole, they divide themselves into 3 factions to fight amongst themselves for control of a world in dire peril.

Personally, I have no desire to help in any way that bunch of power mongers who put their own self-interests before saving the whole world.

Nirn and Oblivion merging into a nightmarish conglomeration? No. There is an empty throne to be had!

A well argued position.

The 'plot' is so full of holes it ought to be a sieve.

Nevertheless, I hope it's something of a red herring which can be ignored if the game is good enough.

However - people arguing that the plot 'makes sense' in support of their own agenda, and then saying it wouldn't if it was changed to support someone else's is hypocritical nonsense.

It doesn't make sense at all... and it's difficult to see how any level of modification could make it less logical...

Originally posted by azzamasin

Theres no more faction lock.

You can group up with the opposing faction and even join guilds with the opposing faction once you getto level 50.  Barring they are on your friends list or in your guild to begin with.

Is there a link to an interview or article for this?

Personally I would be fine with a solution like this. Far from what I had hoped for, but if they allow at 50 to group up with people in your guild or friend's list it would be ok. Basically them saying "You play the game until 50 like we want you to, but then we will give you more freedom how you want to experience the game"

Originally posted by Caliburn101

A well argued position.

Nevertheless, I hope it's something of a red herring which can be ignored if the game is good enough.

However - people arguing that the plot 'makes sense' in support of their own agenda, and then saying it wouldn't if it was changed to support someone else's is hypocritical nonsense.

It doesn't make sense at all... and it's difficult to see how any level of modification could make it less logical...

By your "logic"... let's add some neutral gnomes who crash landed on their space ship, ride unicorns and love everyone. Now that woudl be spiffy!

What do you do with a "plot full of holes?" Well you add more holes of course. image

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

A well argued position.

By your "logic"... let's add some neutral gnomes who crash landed on their space ship, ride unicorns and love everyone. Now that woudl be spiffy!

What do you do with a "plot full of holes?" Well you add more holes of course. image

by his logic, or your own, sometimes its hard to tell the difference.. but the point about the Plot of the game not making sense is one thats been pointed out systematically, it just doesnt fit in with a TES mythos that has already been well established, instead of shoe horning some kind of racial based faction lock, they should have stuck with an ideological one, it would at least have been in keeping with TES lore, that and the fact they had to drop one of the races from ESO to make it fit.. oops, curses Bethesda for making a game with 10 race in the first place, but hey, lets pretend they don't exist anymore and hopefully nobody will notice image

Originally posted by Phry

A well argued position.

by his logic, or your own, sometimes its hard to tell the difference.. but the point about the Plot of the game not making sense is one thats been pointed out systematically, it just doesnt fit in with a TES mythos that has already been well established, instead of shoe horning some kind of racial based faction lock, they should have stuck with an ideological one, it would at least have been in keeping with TES lore, that and the fact they had to drop one of the races from ESO to make it fit.. oops, curses Bethesda for making a game with 10 race in the first place, but hey, lets pretend they don't exist anymore and hopefully nobody will notice image

So please summarize for us what the TES mythos is and why ESO doesn't fit. It should be easy for you to do since you've seen it systematically pointed out. I'll go make some pop-corn.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by waynejr2

Faction lock complainers are those who fall into the entitlement mindset.  They often ask why as if that is really a point.  They have trained themselves to ask WHY often.

That could be flipped as well you know. Those who are stuck with the mindset that the RVRVR must not be jeapordized at all costs might come across as equally entitled.

Here is the why to that. When making a MMO you need to pick a model. Its what the game is designed from ground up. At this point ripping appart the core model to try and fit in random ideas is like trying to remove the 1st floor of a house once its built and make the 2nd floor the 1st floor. Sure it can be done but what do you have after wards? 

If they wanted the greatest sandbox MMO of all time, they they should have picked a MMO that had done that well and built from there up. Same with any model. If you start changing things to far from the model that worked well, then now you have something new and unknown. Will it work? Thats a gamble worth many millions of bucks. Thats what a lot of companies have been doing over the years and onlt a few MMOs came out winners.

They picked DAoC and built a game around that. Its time to stay the course or scrap 6 years of development and start over with a new model. Every quest, story, crafting, PvP all ties into 3 faction DAoC style war. MMOs are monster and not a easy thing to just start changing core elements and have a clue what the outcome will be.

Just wondering, but do  you have any specific information on that topic. I couldn't find anything about it so far, but I heard quests are pretty generic and won't recognize your race. Also, the storyline is more about you getting your soul back from Molag Bal, not so much about that Alliance war. But I could be wrong of course, maybe you heard more?

From their website: 

It is a time of strife and unrest. Armies of revenants and dark spirits manifest in every corner of Tamriel. Winters grow colder and crops fail. Mystics are plagued by nightmares and portents of doom.

Four years ago, in 2E 578, an arcane explosion of energy in the Imperial City set off mystical aftershocks that swept across Nirn. Mages died or went mad. Supernatural abominations from the plane of Oblivion, the Daedra, appeared in greater numbers than ever before. The constellation of the Serpent grew so large that it dominated the night sky.

So began the grand scheme of Molag Bal, Daedric Prince of domination and enslavement. His Dark Anchors, vortexes of evil magic, weaken the barrier between worlds, threatening to merge Nirn and Oblivion into a single, nightmarish hellscape.

Prolly cuz thats the part that doesnt make any sense...why is everyone trying to kill eachother if the devil himself is already killing everyone with hells army and at the same time fighting the empires army.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I really love the crafting info we have gotten so far. Making some of or best in slot items. Being able to upgrade drop items to make them even better. I really hope this game is heading to a non-treadmill gear system. So far it seems like it is heading that way but to soon to tell. Good start so far. Cant wait to hear more about crafting and the gear.

A well argued position.

I actually agree that the plot could change and still make sense. There could be any number of ways to spin the story. We found some common ground!

Where I disagree with you is on how quickly you come to the conclusion that you know more than the barest bones of the plot at all. Enough so that you feel confident in labelling it a strainer. Of course the story doesn't make sense yet. You haven't heard it.

You're critcising something that you literally only know the first thing about.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

Unless there is some really funky twist that links the PvP in Cyrodil and the Molag Bol storyline there there is really a lot more to the story then has been released. The main points are there at least so I think it is possible to draw a solid conclusion.

I personally don't mind the story. Big evil raises it's ugly head while 3 factions battle on the mortal planes for control of the crown. The big Evil is using the oppertunity to sow the seeds of doubt and have fun pitting each faction against each other in other area's. I don't see a problem with it.

The only problem I see is the stuff that is just done to make the game fit such as why there is no PvP outside Cyrodil (gentlemans agreement) or why each faction is made up of 3 races geologically local to each other (Despite some of these new allies being linfelong sworn enemies and it is unlikely in the extreme such an alliance would take place, certainly not during a Molag Bal invasion) or why you cannot enter other teritories (because of the war (Which goes totally against the gentelmans agreement mentioned earlier). But that is more the design mechanics of the game then story.

Originally posted by tkreep

From their website: 

It is a time of strife and unrest. Armies of revenants and dark spirits manifest in every corner of Tamriel. Winters grow colder and crops fail. Mystics are plagued by nightmares and portents of doom.

Four years ago, in 2E 578, an arcane explosion of energy in the Imperial City set off mystical aftershocks that swept across Nirn. Mages died or went mad. Supernatural abominations from the plane of Oblivion, the Daedra, appeared in greater numbers than ever before. The constellation of the Serpent grew so large that it dominated the night sky.

So began the grand scheme of Molag Bal, Daedric Prince of domination and enslavement. His Dark Anchors, vortexes of evil magic, weaken the barrier between worlds, threatening to merge Nirn and Oblivion into a single, nightmarish hellscape.

Prolly cuz thats the part that doesnt make any sense...why is everyone trying to kill eachother if the devil himself is already killing everyone with hells army and at the same time fighting the empires army.

We know that each faction has a different idea for how the empire should be ruled:

• The Elves want it for themselves, because they feel they know better than the other races.
    • Humans and Orcs used to be Elven slaves, and it sounds like the Elves want to return to that system. Humans want to return to Imperial rule.
    • The Ebonheart Pact want to maintain control of their sovreignty, which will be impossible under Imperial or Elven rule.
    The instability caused by Molag Bal has created an opportunity for each faction to enforce their own preferred style of ruling. I assume that each leader feels confident enough in their army that they believe they can fight Molag Bal, as well as the two other factions, at the same time.

Once again, all we have is summary information. We can only assume when it comes to the reasoning and motivation of the faction leaders.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

What do you do with a "plot full of holes?" Well you add more holes of course.

So please summarize for us what the TES mythos is and why ESO doesn't fit. It should be easy for you to do since you've seen it systematically pointed out. I'll go make some pop-corn.
    You have no desire to discuss. Sorry I even tried.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

Oh and the other thing that doesn't really make sense is why each faction leader wants to fight for the crown but not to put it on. I mean, even if you use the reasoning that they want to be the power behind the thrown it doesn't work. It isn't like these faction leaders are unknown. And when someone has the crown (i.e. a player) what then? But if the fight is an endless fight then kind of pointless.

So we either have a pointless fight in the middle for something that, once won doesn't stop the war or we fight for the power the crown gives but the faction leader doesn't actually take that power for themselves but gives it to a subordinate.

Sure it is a game but I don't want to play a game that basically uses the defence "It's ok, those guys are stupid, the wouldn't get it even if if made any sense".

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by Squeak69

Hopefully the whiners will get tired and that will happen here eventually.

In the meantime, if you want details, you might want to check-out  the development FAQ and Game Info sections at http://tamrielfoundry.com/

i have read through it just more intrested in what people think with the info we have so far.

Faction lock complainers are those who fall into the entitlement mindset.  They often ask why as if that is really a point.  They have trained themselves to ask WHY often.

Entitled to what?  Do you even know what you are talking about?  No, that's a dumb question, of course you don't.

The faction lock has little to do with the actual lock of faction lands.  It has more to do with made up lore that does not fit what we have all come to experience in an Elder Scrolls game.  It is forcefully making your players do something in a popular IP that they have never done before.

Faction locks have worked in other games.  There isn't inherently anything wrong with the mechanic.  But it simply does not work in this game.  It is a weak attempt to get three faction PvP into the game when they should have left well enough alone and allowed people to choose their faction later on in their progression.  It should have been an option to PvP, and if you didn't want to join a faction or PvP, then you didn't have to.  You know, like a traditional Elder Scrolls game.  That would have kept the PvP'ers happy as well as the PvE'ers and the lore people wouldn't be making as big of a stink about it.

Then you add on the Megaservers and it destroys your community because you can no longer know the people on your server.  Now you are just 'intelligently' placed in  instances with your friends and guild members.  There's no guild wars, which would have been great in a ES game.  So you can't see those people./  Oh yes, ever heard of that great player with all of the best gear?  Unlikely in TESO, you likely will never see them, nor their armor or weapons.  No, you'll just share an instance with any one of potentially a million players whom you may never ever see again.  Which is anti-sandbox and the system itself, while obviously having it's merits, is anti-social.  

Then, and I'm sure it will happen, we will be able to play other factions because we are not on one individual server.  Which is completely contradictory to the point of faction lock.  One system encourages faction pride, while being able to play any faction discourages faction pride.  The biggest problem with this MMO is that there are so many interesting and potentially cool features, but Zenimax just threw them all together in a basket without putting any thought into whether or not they would all work together.  That's where you get the posts about this game having an identity crisis.  

People have their own opinions, and perhaps you haven't learned that yet in your life.  Just because of this, insulting people based on those opinions makes you look like a complete and utter ass.  I guess you could care less though right?  Since you're behind that wall of annonymity.  It's real easy when you're not staring at a fist in your face.