Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People need to realise this.

Comments

• TroianmanTroianman Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Troianman

who in essence become the investors but without a monetary return

You might want to look up what investor or investment terms mean...

Yah, the word investment doesn't actually automatically mean $$ is given or returned. It may be a common association however one can invest interest, time, effort, etc. Money is just one of the many things that can be invested into something but not the only thing. 

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

No publisher is going to back an MMO that doesnt have a PVE treadmill to grind through with a full box price, and a pay2win cash shop.

Mark could have easily sold the idea of a DAOC 2 WoW clone that would appeal to the mass market to publishers and probably got funded.

The point is that he didn't. He wants to make an extremely risky game that might actually be innovative and appeal to people rather than be a 30 days and done MMO of the month.

He is actually doing the genre a favor, not make SOE / EA / NcSoft even more rich unlike most developers who are just copying WoW and trying to cash in... cough ESO, Wildstar... cough.

Its actually pretty appalling that people think only games approved by the publishers are the only ones that should be deserving of our support. Do we really need another ILLUM? camon people.....

• xion12121xion12121 Member UncommonPosts: 199

"Hey guys I have a game on kickstarter  It's called "  Tri Wars Nation" there is no pictures or game art, and no videos but it will be full pvp and have player housing. Donate me your money so I can begin this project with my team and we can allow the fans to shape the game they want it. If you donate $25  $50 etc. , then we will provide you with some nice perks. Thank you for your cotinued support. " 

Did that quote above sound cooL? Oh heck yah it did because I just made it up. The team at CU have not shown you zilch. 

1. How will you know if the graphics turn out to your liking? 

What if graphics end up terrible and doesn't match your expectation 

2. How do you know they will complete it in 2 years? 

They could end up taking longer and come back later and ask for more kickstarter money ( would you donate more?)

3. The project could end up being scrapped due to not enough funds? 

Then what? 

4. What happens if they decide to scrap the whole project? 

What happens to everyones donation? 

Too many " ifs" and "when" you will have better luck throwing your money into the stock market and  actually win something. If you want to throw money away then so be it but don't be on a campaign with your avatar finding other gullible people to do so as well. If you want to ruin yourself fine, but don't drag others down with you.

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by xion12121

"Hey guys I have a game on kickstarter  It's called "  Tri Wars Nation" there is no pictures or game art, and no videos but it will be full pvp and have player housing. Donate me your money so I can begin this project with my team and we can allow the fans to shape the game they want it. If you donate $25  $50 etc. , then we will provide you with some nice perks. Thank you for your cotinued support. " 

Did that quote above sound cooL? Oh heck yah it did because I just made it up. The team at CU have not shown you zilch. 

1. How will you know if the graphics turn out to your liking? 

What if graphics end up terrible and doesn't match your expectation 

2. How do you know they will complete it in 2 years? 

They could end up taking longer and come back later and ask for more kickstarter money ( would you donate more?)

3. The project could end up being scrapped due to not enough funds? 

Then what? 

4. What happens if they decide to scrap the whole project? 

What happens to everyones donation? 

Too many " ifs" and "when" you will have better luck throwing your money into the stock market and  actually win something. If you want to throw money away then so be it but don't be on a campaign with your avatar finding other gullible people to do so as well. If you want to ruin yourself fine, but don't drag others down with you.

You need to read the kickstarter bylaws.  A lot of this is already covered.

Nanulak

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    only reason the other games suck to you guys is because your all impossibleto please

you are all self declared elite pvpers.or so you think!!!.. you dont have to say it as actions speak louder than words. you are all always wanting more freedom to randomly kill who ever you want when you want..

this is why games are never to your aproval,

developers have to also concider the greater majority gamer, the casual subscriber pve guys who think pvp is just a gimic for ADHD suffering youngsters with no real life hobbies such as cycling or swimming. they have to cater to their primary income so no point wishing for a perfect pvp game and better start learning to enjoy the pve aspects.
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

Originally posted by Byrhofen

The only thing some people need to realise, is that just because they like the IDEA that is CU, the rest of us do not need to have it shoved down our throats, none stop, day after day.

No one forces you to go into the CU forum.

You can't be angry at people that want to discuss this game. Apparently the CU topic is quite popular?

If you have a problem with it, ignore the CU forum. Ignore the last reply topics at the main page.

No one complained when everyone spamtalked about Guild Wars 2. Jesus...

Originally posted by Squeak69

Originally posted by Vervayne
    Originally posted by Byrhofen

The only thing some people need to realise, is that just because they like the IDEA that is CU, the rest of us do not need to have it shoved down our throats, none stop, day after day.

If you're not interested in the game, why are you posting on the forums?  /confused

Pretty sure no one is forcing you to read about it.

because the pure volume of CU threads being started are overflooding all other topics .

Where? I cango into ANY game forum not regarding CU, where they do not talk about it.

Originally posted by azzamasin
    I think there are plenty of games coming out in the near future or that are in development that can pull off good PvP.  Lets not create this notion that CU is the savior or you will regret it.

True. I did the same with Guild Wars 2.

Did quit after a month of boredness. After turning max level the game died fast for me.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Why help starving kids in africa when you can throw free money at a rich guy that made Warhammer Online.
  • SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    Why help starving kids in africa when you can throw free money at a rich guy that made Warhammer Online.

What very twisted logic. I hope every time you are about to buy something unnecessary for yourself, like a video game, a movie ticket, or whatever else it is above the bare essentials, you apply that same condemnation inward.

What a fool.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Yah, the word investment doesn't actually automatically mean $$ is given or returned. It may be a common association however one can invest interest, time, effort, etc. Money is just one of the many things that can be invested into something but not the only thing. 

Being invested(emotionally) isn't the same as being an investor.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Boldyn

This is THE PvP idea for sure.

Perhaps one day it will be THE released PvP game, once enough blind rats throw money for it to be made and then pay to buy the game aswell.

Here's hoping...

im still wating for a decent pvp game where the players create their own factions.   this isn't it.

Originally posted by Sornin
    [
    What very twisted logic. I hope every time you are about to buy something unnecessary for yourself, like a video game, a movie ticket, or whatever else it is above the bare essentials, you apply that same condemnation inward.What a fool.

Not really that twisted.

There is a difference between purchasing a product and donating someone who is in no material need.

www.kickstarter.org

See the difference?

EU and especially Denmark have spent a insane amount of money to africa - and their situation never changes.

Throwing them against a project gives me a great game :D

But hey, think about it the next time you buy food - you might consider donating it to africa instead.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

EU and especially Denmark have spent a insane amount of money to africa - and their situation never changes.

But hey, think about it the next time you buy food - you might consider donating it to africa instead.

i think EU is somewhat obligated.  since Apartheid ended.  slavery is a bitch.

Originally posted by muffins89
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

i think EU is somewhat obligated.  since Apartheid ended.  slavery is a bitch.

Yes, sadly we are.

[
    What very twisted logic. I hope every time you are about to buy something unnecessary for yourself, like a video game, a movie ticket, or whatever else it is above the bare essentials, you apply that same condemnation inward.

What a fool.

Not really that twisted.

There is a difference between purchasing a product and donating someone who is in no material need.

www.kickstarter.org

See the difference?

I believe the error in your reasoning is separating a non-essential expenditure into two categories, products and pledges/donations, and applying different rules. Following your reasoning, someone who buys cars they do not need, houses they never even live in, and clothes they never wear at the cost of millions and gives nothing to charity is somehow different, perhaps better, you seem to imply, than someone who pledged money to a Kickstarter campaign for a game instead of to a charity that solves world problems. That baffles me.

Your system prescribes a code that dictates all pledges/donations must go to what you or others deem a worthy cause, but leaves other types of expenditures completely off the hook. I call that bunk.

Spending money is spending money. If I derive happiness from pledging to a video game and someone else derives happiness from buying a new shirt, we are both either equally innocent or equally guilty, depending on one's perspective, when it comes to our supposed moral responsibility to do some good with that cash. Money spent on a shirt does as little good for the downtrodden of this planet as money spent on a Kickstarter. There is absolutely no difference in the end.

Anyway, who's to say people pledging to Kickstarter campaigns that do not solve any important issues do not help out the world in other ways? It seems rather harsh to label them as fools or selfish for pledging to a video game when you have no idea what they do besides that, not like it matters. For all you know, lots of these backers volunteer, donate to a cancer society, or are just generally nice people that lend a hand when they can.

Being invested(emotionally) isn't the same as being an investor.

Did you not see the words "in essence"? Would have used literally but chose not to as it would have been the wrong choice.

Kickstarter backers provide funding, provide input (comments, forum posts), potentially provide insight or constructive criticism regarding decisions made by the project team (comments, forum posts and feedback during beta testing). Typically investors would provide funding, expect and in some cases require that their input was taken into account regardless of any stupidity, maybe provide constructive criticism but generally only after they have something to see and provide potentially destructive criticism when their timeline wasn't met no matter how flawed. However after all of that, investors would still bark around about a monetary return and one greater than their initial investment and potentially force an unfinished product to launch due to lack of proper funding with the hopes of seeing said return.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Meanwhile back in EVE-Online actual PvPers have fun right now without having to invest money in a unsure thing and forum warrior :P they can just buy a ship, fit it and go out pew pewing right now. And btw to anyone who thinks otherwise: EVE will continue to be for a very, very long time the definitive PVP game for the PC regardless if you prefer fantasy or SF this is bare bones truth.

Originally posted by Dihoru
    Meanwhile back in EVE-Online actual PvPers have fun right now without having to invest money in a unsure thing and forum warrior :P they can just buy a ship, fit it and go out pew pewing right now. And btw to anyone who thinks otherwise: EVE will continue to be for a very, very long time the definitive PVP game for the PC regardless if you prefer fantasy or SF this is bare bones truth.

EVE Online is a great game! You will get no argument from me there at all. However, it is apples to oranges. A fantasy MMORPG with character to character PvP versus a sci-fi MMORPG with ship to ship PvP are not the same. There are more differences than that, of course, but those are the largest.

Fortunately, if this Kickstarter is funded, both will be able to cater to their separate groups and everyone can win. :)

Originally posted by Dihoru

I too have pretty much nothing but love for EVE but i also have much love for DAoC and am very much hoping that the spiritual successor to it happens.

Following your reasoning, someone who buys cars they do not need, houses they never even live in, and clothes they never wear at the cost of millions and gives nothing to charity is somehow different, perhaps better, you seem to imply, than someone who pledged money to a Kickstarter campaign for a game instead of to a charity that solves world problems. That baffles me.

I never implied any of that. My argument isn't based on morality but economical principle differences of purchase and donation.

If you want to spent money on products you never use and never donate to charity, I have no problem with that, it is perfectly fine. However, unlike purchasing goods - regardless whether you use it afterwards or not, it makes no sense whatsoever economically to donate on KS.com.

There will always be bad deals but just because you consider "spending money is spending money", it won't make them better deals.

Did you not see the words "in essence"?

I did, it is still not even remotely close, even "in essence"...

What forces products to release isn't the investors, it is the money running out - regardless how you obtained the money.

Also, the deadlines are set by devs, not the investors. It is mostly failing devs that cannot keep deadlines, skyrocketing budgets through the roof. If you want to blame someone for "unifinished" products, it's devs.

The difference then might be that money obtained via donations can be just flushed down the toilet or spent on new sports cars with no worries since there is no liability. With proper investment tho, there is at least a chance the product will be released, despite not perfect state.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by taurak

People really need to stop fighting and arguing and realise that this is pretty much our only shot at a good PvP game any time in the near future.

Stop complaining about ToA and Warhammer, Mark knows they both sucked it up, and I am sure he knows how to fix and eliminate those issues in this new game.

Will there be some problems in this game? Likely so, I'm sure there will be some things people don't like in the game, but I'm sure there will be a lot of things that people DO like too.

Seriously guys, to all the trolls and naysayers, think about what you're doing. This is THE PvP game. If you like PvP I'd suggest you back the game, because to be honest if this one fails the kickstarter, a lot of developers are going to look at this as that a lot of people don't care anything about PvP in games.

Nobody is perfect, and maybe Mark made some mistakes in the past, but man, he is very willing to work with the players and fix whatever is messed up. That is the whole point of the Alpha and Beta slots, so that WE can test things out and to help shape the game into the best thing that it can be.

With the current state of MMORPG's are you guys happy with the games that keep being put out? I know I'm not. And this is our chance to show it to everyone that we're not happy with the polished turds that keep getting pushed out to us to play.

No more getting forced into a queue to get into a lame instance.

Sure kickstarter is a new, and kinda weird way to get a game created, but whats the difference? Its no different than preordering a game at gamestop, except you actually get some nice stuff along with it.

In a nutshell, stop complaining, and looking for reasons to bash the game, and realise that this may be the only even remote chance that we have to have a good new PvP MMORPG within the next 5 years. Lets face it, Elder Scrolls Online is just going to be the next failed attempt at creating the WoW model.

Dare you to name me one system that follows in the foot steps of WoW?  yea thats what I thought.  ESO is going to offer more RvR goodness then any thing CU does, because it actually features all the systems in place that made DAoC so good...such as PvE.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Did you not see the words "in essence"?

I did, it is still not even remotely close, even "in essence"...

What forces products to release isn't the investors, it is the money running out - regardless how you obtained the money.

Also, the deadlines are set by devs, not the investors. It is mostly failing devs that cannot keep deadlines, skyrocketing budgets through the roof. If you want to blame someone for "unifinished" products, it's devs.

The difference then might be that money obtained via donations can be just flushed down the toilet or spent on new sports cars with no worries since there is no liability. With proper investment tho, there is at least a chance the product will be released, despite not perfect state.

If what forces the product to release is the money running out, and the investors supply the money, does that not imply the investors do have a hand in forcing the release? It may not be as direct as yelling, "Release it!" but as they control the resources, they do have influence on it. Investors have been known to promise funding and not deliver it (see: Vanguard, though that game had a host of other problems). Just a thought.

I agree developers need to manage their time and resources properly, absolutely, but to state that investors do not ever get antsy or nudge developers to release is a bit naive, in my opinion. I have a couple buddies who work in the games industry, one is an artist who worked at EA for years on their sports games and now works for Ubisoft overseas, and the other works for a small games company in BC. There are a lot more pressures than problems than developers mismanaging projects.

At any rate, a lot of the time the "investor" is actually the publisher, that owns the studio, the IP, and does set deadlines and does, of course, control the money.

As for money obtained via donations having no accountability via any sort of contract or legal agreement, you are absolutely correct - very little would prevent Mark and CSE from taking the $2M+ and dissolving the company and running off into the night from a legal perspective. However, you have to consider the cost to their reputations, and their history. Is there any evidence they would do this? I cannot find any. Is there evidence this would destroy their reputations in the industry? Yes! Mark has a few million dollars to his name, so why try to steal $2M more? It all seems rather elaborate for a payout that may not happen and makes no real sense to attempt.

You do need to trust the people you pledge to, but I think the argument that they owe you nothing and can abandon the project is weak. I mean, a company you have stock in can screw the pooch and shed 3/4 of its value in a month (enough examples of that in the past few years!). An MMORPG you invested time, energy, and a lot of emotional content can change in a day (SWG) and take what you loved away. A lot of things can "ruin" an investment, so pointing out the lack of safety nets around Kickstarter does not mean much to me. It carries risk, much like anything else.

In short, I agree with the assertion, but I disagree with its weight.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Gaoxin
    what people also need to realise is that DAOC wasn't the holy fking grail of PvP. I played Anarchy Online back in 2001-2005 and I also tested DAOC. Guess what...it was as unbalanced as any other mmorpg out there. I played most of them since AO, I also played CS, Dota and SC2 in the competetive scene. Please, for whatever reason you do it, stop it already. It was most likely your first mmorpg back then and thats why you like it so much, not because it was balanced or had gread pvp.

Haha, I have to agree with this guy. 

So much BS or marketing by fans or paid marketeers for every game seems to be best of all time.

Think only gullible gamers will eat all this write up from devs and their fans / paid marketeers. 

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• ArtkilArtkil Member UncommonPosts: 20

I pledged purely in hope that  this project will be funded  so that I can play a PVP game without hearing constant crying about PVE class balancing BS...  

Please nerf paper
    Scissors are fine
    Signed rock...