Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

New player, some questions

hi guys, im new to the game, im located in australia and heard that elendilmir was the unofficial aus server.

just wondering if you guys can give me some newbie tips, so far im just doing the quests, i havnt figured out how to do instances, or even how to chat globaly. im a level 12 guardian dwarf. also looking to join a guild/clan on the server.

im playing free to play, but i dont even know what parts to buy of the game, ive heard Moria is fun, when does that occur?

thanks guys!

Comments

• BrenicsBrenics Warren, MIPosts: 364Member Uncommon

This is great place to start http://lotro.mmorsel.com/2010/02/choosing-server.html also http://forums.lotro.com/forumdisplay.php?79-Elendilmir to find a Kinship that fits your style of play. As far as what you need as far as expansions the in game store can let you know what you need for the game. If it is listed then you need it, if not you are good. Personally I like getting the expansions instead of the packs. Also I like paying for the expansions so I go here http://store.turbine.com/store/turbine/en_US/list/categoryID.58733200/parentCategoryID.58516200

Have fun it is a great game with a great story.

ESOTU had a great patch today, it could change the direction of game for the good!

• HypnotoastHypnotoast BerwickPosts: 2Member

thanks for the quick reply mate.

i tried the official forums but you need to be a paying member to post on it, so i cant find a guild there.

where are the majority of players in the game? it feels rather empty when i play, every now and then i see a player.

• BrenicsBrenics Warren, MIPosts: 364Member Uncommon

Starting areas always feel a little empty. Never heard anyone say you have to pay to post in forums. If you can't post in new player section then contact customer support. Either way you should be able to read and post in forums. You can hit O in game which brings up the social window and you can change it to show kinships or in filter window if you know name of kinship you want to join will list those online in Kin.

Make sure you are logged into forums

ESOTU had a great patch today, it could change the direction of game for the good!

• Po_ggPo_gg Twigwarren, WestfarthingPosts: 2,722Member Uncommon

Yep, mmorsel has some great guides for new players.

Instances start at lvl20 with skirmishes as well, but nowadays the leveling is so fast that probably the first instance you'll see and join will be GA at 30ish :)

And as a free player you can play to that point pretty much free. Around lvl30-32 will be a decision point whether you like the game enough or not, if you do, you need to buy a quest pack or two (but you can gather the Turbine points for them in-game for free).

Moria is the first expansion, at lvl50. It was great originally, but got revamped lately and now it has an even better flow. You can buy it too with TP (and if you grind the TP in-game then it's free), but as Brenics wrote it's better from the webshop, the triple pack is a nice offer.

• wandericawanderica clayton, NCPosts: 104Member Uncommon

The best thing about lotro is its community.  Any questions you have, just ask in "/advice"  Someone will always be around to help.  "/join glff" at your own peril though.

A few friendly tips:  Don't rush this game.  It's a beautiful world with the richest lore in any MMO, and it's ALL there in game from Bilbo's trolls to Rivendell.  This game does have dungeons to run (and raids endgame) but don't rush to the cap just to raid.  You'll miss so much and you'll be forced to go back and grind on the lower level zones to level those deeds.

You will eventually have to spend some money in this game to reach the cap.  There are several expansions to purchase that raise the level cap.  The moria epic quest chain can be started at 45, but you'll need to have the Mines of Moria expansion to start it.  You may find that you like dungeon crawling with LFG groups.  If that's the case there are several that will auto adjust to your group's level.  The Great Barrow is the first, but you'll have to buy that "pack" in the store.  

Honestly, a lot of what you'll find in LOTRO is generic MMO stuff, but the community is by no means generic.  Reach out to them, and it will go from MMO #6 to something that is unexplainably difficult to put down.

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarrePosts: 3,549Member Uncommon

I agree, don't rush. The best part of this game is the story and the world. The dungeons and raids range from bad to average at best.

Moria begins at level 50.

I also strongly suggest to pay for one month of VIP. That will only cost you 15 bucks or so, but it will unlock several features (quoting from the lotro wiki):

Features maintained

Some features are maintained when downgrading from VIP to premium. All these features are only maintained for characters logged into while the VIP status was active; characters created after downgrading from VIP and characters that were created before or during VIP but were not logged into during VIP do not have access to these features. The per-character unlocks also function for content the character hasn't reached yet due to level or other restrictions. For example, trait slots the character isn't eligible for when downgrading are still available when he reaches the appropriate level for them.

The following features are maintained on a per-character basis:

• Swift Travel
    • 5 Inventory bags
    • All Trait slots available
    • No maximum Gold limit

And of course you automatically become Premium at the end of the VIP month.
    This is definitely worth unlocking. And you will have one month with full access to the game as bonus.

Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2, The Crew, SotA

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO, SW:TOR and GW2.

----------------

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite CardiffPosts: 394Member Uncommon

As previously mentioned, it is definately worth subscribing for at least a month to get all the unlocks, make all your characters and log in with them during this time to get all their bag and trait unlocks, plus you will get 500 Turbine Points for that month subscribed.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy St. Louis, MOPosts: 1,222Member
    Originally posted by wanderica

The best thing about lotro is its community.  Any questions you have, just ask in "/advice"  Someone will always be around to help.  "/join glff" at your own peril though.

While that last part is certainly true, that first part really isn't. This is not a particularly helpful community, not in the 4 1/2 years I've been playing.

A couple weeks ago, someone talked to me in game for the first time in years. What was his message? "Lol, NOOB" as he cut in front of the resource I was about to harvest. (I was making an alt in Ered Luin, he had a horse)

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarrePosts: 3,549Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by trancejeremy
    Originally posted by wanderica

While that last part is certainly true, that first part really isn't. This is not a particularly helpful community, not in the 4 1/2 years I've been playing.

A couple weeks ago, someone talked to me in game for the first time in years. What was his message? "Lol, NOOB" as he cut in front of the resource I was about to harvest. (I was making an alt in Ered Luin, he had a horse)

Yeah, the LotRO "better community" is a legend. I'm a founder, playing since beta and early access, and I found that there are just as many rude people in this game than in any other MMORPG. Even on the RP server, Laurelin. And it had became worse with the move to "free to play", too.

Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2, The Crew, SotA

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO, SW:TOR and GW2.

----------------

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• Po_ggPo_gg Twigwarren, WestfarthingPosts: 2,722Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

Yeah, the LotRO "better community" is a legend. I'm a founder, playing since beta and early access, and I found that there are just as many rude people in this game than in any other MMORPG. Even on the RP server, Laurelin. And it had became worse with the move to "free to play", too.

Probably it depends on server selection, I find the community in LotRO much better than in other mmo's... I admit I have only limited experience with the US side (got only a few mid-level characters on Nimrodel and Landy), but even there I haven't seen so far the afforementioned "Lol n00b"-kinda behaviour :)

I don't say there are no rude, elitist, or antisocial poeple in LotRO, since they're everywhere. Only it seems there are less in LotRO, at least on Eu servers, and of course imo. Maybe I'm just lucky.

And a bit off, but Eu servers and Codies and stuff: http://www.containsmoderateperil.com/lotro-the-codemasters-years/

A point that came up quite quickly was the way the EU service under Codemasters would often hold in-game events, had a more flexible approach to account hacking and seemed to have a more proactive group of GMs.

I miss those GM events, it also helped to forming a good community :)