Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if its funded but fails. . . . .

124»

Comments

• ZiftylrhavicZiftylrhavic Member Posts: 222

Originally posted by furbans

It'll launch most likely and then people are gonna rage all over the forums how it's the biggest POS and biggerst dissapointment and QQ what it should have been... just like with every MMO that has passed.

I'm very skeptic of kickstarter MMOs as MMOs are notorious for not following through with their plans or what plans they do follow through with they are half assed and are there for the sake of saying they have X feature.

The difference here is than there won't be any big publisher demanding to add some feature to have bigger number of players. To be more accurate, MJ will be able to do the game for the few people that'll play it, for the niche. That means it will be an awesome game as a good part of that niche will be giving their advice and help create the game with the backers forum. And you can be sure MJ will do everything to make the game the best he can for those people because he goes with a subscription model, so either he please them either nobody play the game and it fail.

So it's normal for the majority of people to not like the game, but the few that like it will find it awesome and should be enough to keep it going.

Originally posted by darkbalth
    I love how people are saying that Cu is going to be this or that.  the game is not out and is still pretty much an idea.

An idea yes, but with quite precise borders and more and more details.

• KenichiKenichi Member Posts: 109
    Originally posted by Ziftylrhavic

Originally posted by Sideras

To answer 1. and 2. There is already money in the project, it will happen wheter or not it gets kickstarted or not. But if it gets kickstarted there is 2 million dollars more for them to improve the game with, if people are intrested enough and want to see that happen, why not?

So MJ will basically put more money into it wheter on not it gets kickstarted. The rest... Well we'll just have to wait and see. I doubt they'll just cancel the project and run away, I'd even assume that's illegal.

You are wrong here. MJ pledged $2M to create the game, but also said if KS doesn't fund it means there won't be enough people that'll play the game to be able to keep it going.

So if KS doesn't fund, and they still need significant money, they will drop the project , and the game won't be made.

Just curious, but do you have a link to where he said that? With some people investing $5000 or more, does that mean it is assumed that would account for X amount of users? That seems to be some bad estimating there.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Kenichi
    Originally posted by Ziftylrhavic

Originally posted by Sideras

To answer 1. and 2. There is already money in the project, it will happen wheter or not it gets kickstarted or not. But if it gets kickstarted there is 2 million dollars more for them to improve the game with, if people are intrested enough and want to see that happen, why not?

So MJ will basically put more money into it wheter on not it gets kickstarted. The rest... Well we'll just have to wait and see. I doubt they'll just cancel the project and run away, I'd even assume that's illegal.

You are wrong here. MJ pledged $2M to create the game, but also said if KS doesn't fund it means there won't be enough people that'll play the game to be able to keep it going.

So if KS doesn't fund, and they still need significant money, they will drop the project , and the game won't be made.

Just curious, but do you have a link to where he said that? With some people investing $5000 or more, does that mean it is assumed that would account for X amount of users? That seems to be some bad estimating there.

And this reason, above any other, is why I chose to do this via Kickstarter. If I can't convince enough people to back this project, it makes little sense to go to investors to get $10M. OTOH, if we get $2M from our Kickstarters, I'm putting in my money and an additional $1M to make this game a reality.(http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5659831#5659831)

I'll be out at least $2M dollars...

IDK, seems like that's a pretty big risk to me. Whether we fund, fail to fund, fund but fail, I've got plenty of "skin in the game" in more ways than one. :)

Goodnight all.(http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5659109#5659109)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MehugeMehuge Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Originally posted by Squeak69

1. ( the main one) what happens when this game gets kickstarted but never launchs ( theroetical question not saying it wont)

it fails after kickstarting, you loose your money!   Ask yourself how likely you think that will be?  Don't put money in your not prepared to take that risk.

If it doesn't fund, you don't loose anything ofc.

2. where is all the info on this game in detail, most things about the game are extrweamly vague at best, heck i cant figure out more about it then its a DAoC clone.

lol, you clearly have not read the info that IS there and available

3. What makes the chances of this game being great more then that of any other PvP or RvR based MMO, when there are so many already that promised the exact same thing this one dose.

no PvE (which means design, balance, optimisation and server workload are all geared towards players fighting players) because there a much less NPCs and AI to worry about.

3 factions

custom engine including renderer written from the ground up to peform well with large numbers of players on screen, rather than coded for flexibility, rather than trying to do all things for all men, its purely about coping with large number of players on screen at a very decent frame rate

4. why am i giveing money to someone to work on thier dream project when they themselves wont put money into it before me. (yes i know hes going to add money if we do but he should have done that to begin with, but him commiting to it first would make me fill alot better)

because he is using Kickstarter to guage if there is enough interest in this type of game before wasting $millions on it.    

Regardless of what others have suggested earlier in this thread, if KS fails the game WILL NOT BE MADE, the evidence is there - go read his early Feb interviews.  So, if your sat there thinking, i won't pledge, ill just wait till its made anyway, then you got it all wrong, if you don't pledge and KS fails, you won't be playing it at all, ever.  So pledge something even if its just $5 or $25 - but be aware of the answer to  the first question, if your not prepared to loose that money, don't pledge.

5.am i going to have to buy the game after investing in the kickstarter, for that matter what kind of payment system will it be. ( this info might be out there i just dont know myself to be honest)

Not for any pledge $25 and above - the info is readily available on the kickstarter page - in fact its only a few words in to the $25 tier details - you clearly have not bothered to read anything about it

OK rage away and tear it up, do what you want but please give me actual useful info here, preferably with links sources and facts.

try reading

P.S. lets see how long before im subject to fanboy rage, instead of logic here.

instead of baiting (which is clearly your intention here)

P.S.S. let me clarify im not aginst the game i enjoy PvP & RvR games sometimes, its the whole kickstarter thing that give me the willies.

then try reading some more

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by botrytis

1. Sorry - this game has nothing coded. Just a lot of big ideas and wishes - it can fail.

It does have the basics of the engine coded we have seen the videos.. still tis very early on and thats the point of the kickstarter campaign to get the cash so they can go into full development.. and yes of course it could fail/

2. PvP only - sorry most people want Pve with some PvP. PvP only will NEVER survive a long time. That is a fact.

Wrong again.. where as sure the majority of people probally jsut want to play PVE there are still enough people out there who want a PVP only game and will pay to play it. There is no reason why it wont survive.

3. sub game and focused on PvP only - well you have even whittled your market even further.

Most f2p games suck balls and are just wow clones, this will being new blood to the MMORPG world and i think the people who want to play it will have no issues paying a sub.. I know i wont.

4. The cost of a game production is the same whether the lead designer begs on Kickstarter or not. No game has really come out of Kiskstarter and made it yet, especially an MMO.

Its not begging its funding... A few great games have released via kickstarter and other crown sourced funding. Chivalry, FTL, Endless Space just to name a few and basically some of the best games of last year. Yes MMO has been finished yet and thats mainly because MMOs take years to make and kickstarter has not really been around long enough.. some of the major MMORPGs on there got funded last year you really dont expect them to be released yet do you?

At the end of the day no one has to back the project you have a choice btu i dont see why people keep maknig a big fuss about it.. some people are happy to use their spare cash to help fund a game they want to play.. other are not happy to do that.. thats just the way of things.