Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Poll: Did you play WAR?

TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless ColumnistM, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

I asked this about DAOC so I was curious.

If you did, can you list when you played from and how long you played for and if it impacted your decision to or not to fund CU?

I got into the last stage of Beta. It was a blast up to level 20. My friends and I loved it. I remember us being concerned about the non open world, and the PQs. We were worried that after players leveled they would be deadzones. We were also concerned about the lack of housing or other aesthetic type reasons that would give us a reason to invest beyond our characters. I myself was obsessed with eventually getting my Choppa! Ah, memories, sweet, painful memories.

Like a lot of players we made it into the 30s and the game just didn't feel fun anymore. A few of us pushed through, I alted (alt fiend). I loved a few classes but not enough to stick around. In the end I was disappointed and felt lied to by the 3 devs that put out the hype vids.

Then I saw how EA did things, how they stopped supporting it, and how MJ left. I looked into it more and started to find bits and pieces of how things went down. It became the first game that made me realize if you betray your philosophy and your core fans you can't succeed.

Did it make me trust MJ less? Yes, until I saw the information he was putting out. I noticed he was humble, honest, and despite EA stealing his baby and tossing him aside like the illegitimate father he never threw them or anyone else under the bridge.

Comments

• OldskooOldskoo Minneapolis, MNPosts: 189Member

I did play WAR. I played it from launch with family and friends for about 2 years. I had a lot of fun but mostly enjoyed the lower tiers and found myself re rolling to experience them many times (I had many alts lol). As I've said before, I liked it alot, and the only reason I stopped was because it seemed like they were neglecting it and because I never enjoyed the end game as much as the first tiers.

It wasn't until after I quit WAR that I tried DAoC - which I realize was well after it's prime. I still enjoyed it for what it was and loved all the classes/races available. While I didn't experience all the great memories that most of you did in DAoC, I really can relate to your passion for this type of game and get a kick out of hearing the old stories. 

• ArcherBullseyeArcherBullseye Ellwood City, PAPosts: 77Member

I played neither..

Tibia - Still sometimes log on

WoW - After WotLK came out I no longer had an interest to level up again

GW - After winning HoH a few times... game was boring

Those were my extent of MMO exp..  I followed Darkfall for years but after the failed launch and the issues meeting deadlines I gave up on the project.  I really never found one that could replace Tibia... I am not sure why I liked so much about that but it was the game I played from the 28.8K dial-up days.

• SorninSornin Richmond, BCPosts: 1,133Member

I played DAoC until Shadowbane came out, and played WAR for about 6 months of closed beta and 3 or 4 months of release.

I kind of want to start playing WAR again, just to see what is going on. I get the sense it has not improved much, but there were a lot of aspects I did like.

• theDukeytheDukey s, FLPosts: 98Member

DAoC briefly.

WAR closed beta tested a year before open betas hit, played about 2-3 months after launch.

• RictisRictis UnknownPosts: 1,219Member Uncommon

I played Daoc and War, I prefered DAOC hands down... it just felt more complete and enjoyable. I also liked the unique classes they offered like the Thane etc. I have always wanted unique and interesting classes that had access to vanity spells etc.

I can't tell you how much I loved the fact that mages in everquest could make trinkets that you could use for various things. Like torches, arrows , bags ... it was just a lot of utility fun that wasn't required but made the class feel more alive.

• nickelsig229nickelsig229 Meriden, CTPosts: 12Member Uncommon

I played DAOC when it firts released for about a year. I also played war at release for about 8 months. Both games were a lot of fun for me, but I prefer the Shadowbane PvP template where PVE is only there to force people out to fight.

• MaricMaric Roseville, CAPosts: 71Member Uncommon
    I played WAR. I really loved Tier 1 and Tier 2 RvR could be fun but the game just died after that. I also thought that the PvE was sub par. Some of the Public Quests were fun but they were few and far between.

Tower taking was an absolute blast.
  • SmoeySmoey CambridgePosts: 572Member Uncommon
    I played DAoC then tried WAR. I was very dissapointed with WAR as the flow of the game was terrible (in my opinion) plus it did not help that I hated the classes. However, I was a massive fan of PVE in DAoC and it was hard (when I first played) but I'm a little disappointed CU will not have this. I think one of the best features of DAoC was Darkness Falls.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• DeviDemonDeviDemon Vilas, NCPosts: 27Member Uncommon

Yes, I leveled to 35 and went to RVR for the first time. When I saw two keeps practically sitting next to each other and at how small the map was I logged off and never logged back on.

With that said I still have faith in CU and feel it's worth the risk.  I just hope the world is bigger than Warhammers. :o

• alterfenixalterfenix Bielsko-BialaPosts: 343Member Uncommon
    Was DAoC - back then I joined mainly because of used IP (wasn't PvP fan then that much). Then WAR. Got a few wards then had to leave some time after 1.3 being disappointed with no real anticipated nerf to aoe stuff. Was playing slayer as main which was simply back then the most op class together with dok and wp. Even more op than wizards and sorcs really.
  • FearumFearum Cinnaminson, NJPosts: 1,166Member Uncommon
    I played DAoC for almost 3 years but I only played War for about a week than gave up. I thought it was going to be like DAoC but it fell short and I never really could get into it.
  • meddyckmeddyck Athens, GAPosts: 1,140Member Uncommon

I played WAR for about a month in beta then 3 more months after release. I made it to 40 on one character (bright wizard). I enjoyed getting to 40 until the 30s when doing that same scenario over and over got tedious. Everybody in my guild from DAOC gave up on end game RvR in WAR pretty much instantly. It just wasn't the same. I tried to play alts for a while, but after a few weeks of that I had enough. I cancelled and never came back other than fooling around with the T1 free trial a few times.

I played DAOC for around 10 years and loved it. I'd probably still play it if it were run by an indie company, but I can't bring myself to give EA more sub money. If the game went F2P, I'd be back in a heartbeat. (No I'm not going to play Uthgard.)

Camelot Unchained Backer
    DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Jacksonville, FLPosts: 984Member Uncommon
    I played WAR, and had a pretty damn good time doing so.  Like most games, however, I lost interest after a few months, not wholly because of the game itself.  I'll fund CU with a minimal dollar amount, but I absolutely plan on playing it down the road.  Has nothing to do with WAR, though - I just think it could be a spiffy game.
  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Detroit, MIPosts: 376Member

Yes, I played it at launch. Lasted about 3 weeks, then got frustrated and quit because of the focus on instanced scenarios. I hate instanced PvP. There were other things I didn't like also, such as only 2 factions.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Phoenix, AZPosts: 2,690Member Uncommon
    Ive played WAR on and off since launch. I played it for somewhere around 6 months straight from the start then would take off for a few months, go back for a few months, several times over the past couple years. Sometimes its the only thing I play for awhile, other times I mix it in with another game. As much as the way the overall game turned out sucks, I still enjoy the hell out of the PvP and always find myself going back to it at least for a little while. Im currently subbed again with 2 accounts, though will likely not be playing much if at all with Defiance out now. Will see if that manages to keep me busy enought o stay off of WAR.
  • XthosXthos Columbus, OHPosts: 2,628Member

DAoC from launch, till shortly after the realm points I think they were called. 

WAR for a while, rvr fixes just never seemed to work out correctly, hated how everyone would never defend anything forever.

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

Originally posted by OgreRaper
    Yes, I played it at launch. Lasted about 3 weeks, then got frustrated and quit because of the focus on instanced scenarios. I hate instanced PvP. There were other things I didn't like also, such as only 2 factions.

I was always confused. The game was about RVR in the real world, then it drove everyone to those darn instanced PVP spots, and the eend game was more instancing, and PVE or all things!

...ok that is still a sore spot apparently.

• Father_JackFather_Jack Portland, ORPosts: 81Member

Played DAoC from release, Played on Andred/Morder till Shadowbane opened then went back to Morderd for a bit. Played WAR for over a year in Beta and six months after release. I really loved WAR,  I think to much scorn was heaped on WAR to be honest I always had fun in it. WAR did a lot of things right.  It wasn't perfect but I know from being in the Beta so long that many of the issues were out of the control of Mythic.

• skyexileskyexile MelbournePosts: 692Member

i played WAR beta for about 7 months(something i regert playing so much) and then live for about 3-4 months, i was level 40 and RR67. I got pretty annoyed that people PvEing objectives got WAY more RP per hour than me doing all roaming for fuck all effort and that doing nothing but chasing objective farmers around was boring.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• TheHavokTheHavok San Jose, CAPosts: 2,398Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Father_Jack

Played DAoC from release, Played on Andred/Morder till Shadowbane opened then went back to Morderd for a bit. Played WAR for over a year in Beta and six months after release. I really loved WAR,  I think to much scorn was heaped on WAR to be honest I always had fun in it. WAR did a lot of things right.  It wasn't perfect but I know from being in the Beta so long that many of the issues were out of the control of Mythic.

I was in closed and open beta as well.  I'm curious, what issues were out of the control of Mythic?  I know they ran out of money and that EA made them agree to a deadline if they wanted to receive funding - but what else was out of their control?

• Father_JackFather_Jack Portland, ORPosts: 81Member
    Originally posted by TheHavok
    Originally posted by Father_Jack

I was in closed and open beta as well.  I'm curious, what issues were out of the control of Mythic?  I know they ran out of money and that EA made them agree to a deadline if they wanted to receive funding - but what else was out of their control?

I think that was a major one, there was also a lot of pressure on them from EA to do things a certain way, despite what they were saying publicly at the time. But somehting else that was fundemental to the game and i think really impacted gameplay was 2 vs 3realms, that was dictated by GW because of the IP.  If I remember right there was a lot of other bending around the IP aswell, or at least that was the excuse I was told when asked about certain things.

• StilerStiler Athens, TNPosts: 599Member

Yes, I played it for a few months.

I enjoyed it and had a blast, the PVP was fun (but woulda been better with another faction, things could be lopsided).

I mainly played a goblin shaman and a human warlock, both very fun classes.

• PRX_sklurbPRX_sklurb New York, NYPosts: 167Member

DAoC, I tested from phase 2 Closed Beta and played into retail until ToA (I was a Middie on Merlin and Mordred)

WAR, I tested from Beta and played at retail release until we locked down all the tiers, did the big city siege and crashed the servers. Servers came back up and all tiers needed to be locked down again. Ouch. Maybe 3 months.

CLICK: »»» http://CamelotUnchained.net «««

• naezgulnaezgul Homer Glen, ILPosts: 374Member

Played war, gw2 

basically played classes just to experience what they had to offer.....but quickly was bored along way with each.....

I still resub daoc 2/3 times a year for one month, so much more eenjoyable its the only game I've ever go back to

• Dren_UtogiDren_Utogi OuterSpacePosts: 1,707Member Uncommon

One word that I use to describe WAR, is "Stale."

I just logged and the evironments are "ok" but the world itself is lifeless. Log into LotrO and see vivid illumination in the world, creatures and Ai that are responsive , and frankly a world that is more immersive.

I would not look at DAoC or War for inspiration for any future of the genre, and I wouldn't look to WoW or LotrO either cause those titles have already been made. IF CU can't create something that is innovative and fresh, it will just be "another" mmo crowding an already crowded shelf.

reviews are !@#$ing stupid. Play what you love.