Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You have to play other B2P (so called) MMOS to appreciate GW2.

Comments

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    As much as I have my fair share of complaints about GW2, it has given me much more entertainment and playtime than any other 60$ game, except for maybe the TES series.  Haven't spent a dime in their cash shop either and don't feel like I'm missing out.
  • ElderknightElderknight Member UncommonPosts: 322

imo, gw2 is very fun, and well worth it.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

GW2 is very fun, easy to pick up, rewarding to master, with plenty to do, even after max level.

I played GW1 and loved it. I prefer GW2.

I think they need to work on things (in game LFG, better story writing, PvP modes). However, these don't prevent me from having fun with the vast majority of the game.

Two things I find true with this forum community:

* Many of you will let 2 or 3 features ruin an entire game for you, almost as if having fun isn't *cool* or something.

* It is not good enough for you to prefer a game or multiple games; all other games not in your liking must fail.

That's unhealthy.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by pauly6478
    I would argue that you would have to play GW1 to realize just how bad GW2 is :]

I had to play GW1 to realize how good pretty much everything else is.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Bad.dog
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Maephisto
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

(...)

GW2 is the most feature rich MMO and Anet certainly doesn't pull up any excuses while giving us all the basic features and more that MMO players have come to expect.

(...)

For better or worse, MMO players have come to expect a proper LFD-system on release as a basic feature. So I disagree with your statement.

GW2 does have a LFG tool.  The fact it was made by the community and not Anet means little.

It works great.  It fills the need for that function, leaving Anet to focus on other things.

The statement refers to what GW2 gives and thus implying to what Arenanet implemented in GW2, not what the community did. 

For every person who thinks a LFG tool is an important feature....there is another person that thinks a LFG tool is just a crutch  for the socially handicappped twitch society gamer .

I believe that the majority of all MMORPG players do believe it is an important feature. It certainly has drawbacks and that is why I wrote "For better or worse".

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Technically speaking, GW2 does have a tool to look for groups.

It's just not a very good one.

It's a tool that doesn't automatically group people and teleport them.  Those are the differences between GW2's tool and other MMOs' tools.

I don't know Arena-net's reasoning for not implementing a tool that auto-groups people together,  but i don't see why they wouldn't, since for SPvP, you get auto-grouped anyway.  It just doesn't make sense to avoid a tool to auto-group for pve, and yet, there's one for PvP.  There's no excuse for avoiding teleporting players into the dungeons either, since traveling is one click away anyway, via waypoints; so the excuse of convenience doesn't work, because traveling in GW2 is way too convenient already.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

GW2 is the most feature rich MMO and Anet certainly doesn't pull up any excuses while giving us all the basic features and more that MMO players have come to expect.

I really don't understand how you can try to claim this... GW2 is a very shallow game with very few features. The only things the game has that most don't is DEs and WvW, yet most others have countless other features that GW2 lacks such as fishing, housing, mounts, etc.

Add to that the fact that GW2 has a ghost community from too much of a solo focus, one of the most atrocious stories ever written for a game, incredibly repetitive combat (action combat doesn't make much difference when you still use the same skills in sequence for most encounters) and some of the worst class balancing I've ever seen with bugs leftover from beta still plaguing many of them.

Personally playing TSW as a B2P game confirmed for me just how bad GW2 really is... The only reason it's been successful is because it was so hyped, and being B2P means they can conceal active player numbers.

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248

I prefer Guild Wars 1 over this second one. Sure, the second one is a good game too, but GW1 felt more like an RPG than an MMO. Had GW1 used more complex rules and all, it would've been even better, but I personally feel that GW2 is way too casual and simple.

Besides, in my opinion: They raped their lore and turned it into a candyland where anything goes.

PS. Don't get me wrong, GW2 was great fun for the first 30+ hours... after that it died on me. But I still keep thinking about returning to GW1 and playing through the original campaign with a friend or two.

We?re all dead, just say it.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Metanol

I prefer Guild Wars 1 over this second one. Sure, the second one is a good game too, but GW1 felt more like an RPG than an MMO. Had GW1 used more complex rules and all, it would've been even better, but I personally feel that GW2 is way too casual and simple.

Besides, in my opinion: They raped their lore and turned it into a candyland where anything goes.

PS. Don't get me wrong, GW2 was great fun for the first 30+ hours... after that it died on me. But I still keep thinking about returning to GW1 and playing through the original campaign with a friend or two.

same feelings here

as for the OP, i dont need to compare gw2 with other b2p games in order to judge it. if i play something and have fun then its enough for me. else its just not. i wont play something that doesnt gives me pleasure, just because its better than something else.

i played about 100 hours gw2 and thats when fun ended for me :)

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Defiance is B2P. Looks pretty good. Should I go play that to appreciate Guild Wars 2?

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Alberel

I really don't understand how you can try to claim this... GW2 is a very shallow game with very few features. The only things the game has that most don't is DEs and WvW, yet most others have countless other features that GW2 lacks such as fishing, housing, mounts, etc.

Add to that the fact that GW2 has a ghost community from too much of a solo focus, one of the most atrocious stories ever written for a game, incredibly repetitive combat (action combat doesn't make much difference when you still use the same skills in sequence for most encounters) and some of the worst class balancing I've ever seen with bugs leftover from beta still plaguing many of them.

Personally playing TSW as a B2P game confirmed for me just how bad GW2 really is... The only reason it's been successful is because it was so hyped, and being B2P means they can conceal active player numbers.

It is very easy actually. Other than GW2 other two B2P MMOS are TSW and Defiance. And after playing both of these MMOS and placing them side by side in terms of features and content. GW2 wins without even trying.

Can you really tell me with a straight face that TSW and Defiance offer more than GW2 in terms of content and feature? really? we can make a list if you desire? 

And by the way for someone who plays TSW you shouldn't even bring up player numbers..glass house and all. Joel turned TSW into B2P after seeing success of GW2 becaue obviously as a P2P TSW was a dismal failure.

But here is the problem..devs think B2P model is some magic formula for success but that is not what made GW2 such a hit but because, it offers a lot of content and feature to its playerbase.

Getting more B2P MMOS is a good thing, it offers more choices but this model alone won't save the shallow and thin content.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Bad.dog

For every person who thinks a LFG tool is an important feature....there is another person that thinks a LFG tool is just a crutch  for the socially handicappped twitch society gamer .

And for every one of those people there is another thinking that anyone that believes sitting in a town continually saying LFG for an hour is a socially handicapped 56kbps modem gamer that apprently would rather be standing around doing nothing instead of actually logging in and playing the game right away.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by observer
    Some of you are missing the point.  He's comparing the B2P model and it's content, not the gameplay, so to compare GW1's gameplay with GW2's isn't the issue.

Sure, but if you can t stomach the game after 20 levels or so, how can you see this content. I think it plays into it alot. I myself played GW1 and loved it, GW2 on the other hand, I thought I liked, until I realized I really didn t like it at all. It s a pretty boring game IMO, and content rich means squat, when it feels so pointless.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

It always amuses me when someone says a video game is "pointless", be it GW2 or any other game. It usually comes from the people unable to play without that gear carrot, unable to just go out in the world and play for fun, they need their purple gear fix, their rewards... which are, actually, completely virtual items in a video game, and therefore totally "pointless".

Enjoy grinding your Tier 500 raid in a WoW clone... and losing that item you were waiting for for months to a guy with more DKP than you or who just had a lucky roll. Have fun in that nice community based on greed and abusing each other.

Lol, well, the "point" of playing a video game is to have fun.  It's the definition of "fun" that becomes the problem.  Agree with you though!  :)

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Ortwig
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

It always amuses me when someone says a video game is "pointless", be it GW2 or any other game. It usually comes from the people unable to play without that gear carrot, unable to just go out in the world and play for fun, they need their purple gear fix, their rewards... which are, actually, completely virtual items in a video game, and therefore totally "pointless".

Enjoy grinding your Tier 500 raid in a WoW clone... and losing that item you were waiting for for months to a guy with more DKP than you or who just had a lucky roll. Have fun in that nice community based on greed and abusing each other.

Lol, well, the "point" of playing a video game is to have fun.  It's the definition of "fun" that becomes the problem.  Agree with you though!  :)

i think its funny as well.. especially in a themepark game.. overall there is no point to these games aside from having fun. Now of course maybe someones idea of fun IS the gear treadmill but thats on them but again it IS pointless. You spend all those thousands of hours to get top gear in a game like wow for what? what does it matter? what can you now do so much differn't with that epic loot?... whole point is these games are designed imho to be enjoyed "for the moment" type play. Which is fine by me but those expecting long lasting effects on the world or alliances that take over portions of the world and allow you to shape how the world works should look elsewhere... but i do find it amusing when people say gw2 is "pointless" but other games like Rift or Tera have a "point"

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• cippalippacippalippa Member UncommonPosts: 108

To be honest GW2 with all that gambling and cash shop resembles more an f2p game which you also have to pay for the box before it become really "free", and then it's unending grind or Gems Shop.

GW1 is a good b2p game example as sombody else stated, and TWS as well i might add.

I'd prefer for gw2 an option to go p2p which would take away all that gambling, and get a decent number of bank/bag slots, plus a decent system to store permantely your wardrobe items, instead of skinning items and store them in your bag/bank

I would gladly pay also to push them making a better game engine, the actual one is good looking but it is terribly optimized and a hw resource drain.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Nuh-uh. No matter how much other cat poop i eat it won't make the poop of my shiny new cat taste any better.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

Originally posted by taus01

Nuh-uh. No matter how much other cat poop i eat it won't make the poop of my shiny new cat taste any better.

i saw you listed FFXI as your favorite game of all time in that other thread.. i'm curious what was the overall "point" in that game to you that made it such a better experience overall compared to any other recent MMO. After hundreds upon hundreds of hours i'm sure you put into that game what overall "point" did it have that current MMOs don't offer you.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by cippalippa

To be honest GW2 with all that gambling and cash shop resembles more an f2p game which you also have to pay for the box before it become really "free", and then it's unending grind or Gems Shop.

GW1 is a good b2p game example as sombody else stated, and TWS as well i might add.

I'd prefer for gw2 an option to go p2p which would take away all that gambling, and get a decent number of bank/bag slots, plus a decent system to store permantely your wardrobe items, instead of skinning items and store them in your bag/bank

I would gladly pay also to push them making a better game engine, the actual one is good looking but it is terribly optimized and a hw resource drain.

TSW was pretty awful, and I had my bank and bag slots maxed out in a few days.  Stop crying about GW2's cash shop, it's not going anywhere because it's actually fair to people's wallets.  Learn to make gold.

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    ... but i do find it amusing when people say gw2 is "pointless" but other games like Rift or Tera have a "point"

Yeah, it's always some small print too, like "Well it has a point... but that point starts at level (insert # here)."

Honestly, GW2 is pretty much the ONLY MMO I've ever played where I was having fun at level 1.

• akuma696akuma696 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    If im not mistaken guild wars1 was btp so idk what ur talking abt it being fairly new
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    ... but i do find it amusing when people say gw2 is "pointless" but other games like Rift or Tera have a "point"

Yeah, it's always some small print too, like "Well it has a point... but that point starts at level (insert # here)."

Honestly, GW2 is pretty much the ONLY MMO I've ever played where I was having fun at level 1.

well for me if I don't find a game at least "fun" in some sense at level 1 It probably isn't a game for me honestly.. i will say GW2 has had the most to offer imho from a level 1 perspective in this type of game though

Originally posted by Eir_S

well for me if I don't find a game at least "fun" in some sense at level 1 It probably isn't a game for me honestly.. i will say GW2 has had the most to offer imho from a level 1 perspective in this type of game though

Yeah.  Well, I try to give every game a chance.  Your way makes much more sense, but if I went by that rule, I wouldn't play much of anything relating to MMO's since most of them honestly don't seem to want to entertain you until you're level 10+, or in TERA's case, level 20+.  I just don't see the point.  The good thing, however, is that it really doesn't take that long in today's MMO to get there.  It just doesn't make me want to see the rest of the game very badly either, unfortunately.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I don't have to play anything but GW2 to appreciate GW2.  The game suits me very well.   I prefer combat that is higher paced and I prefer cosmetic rewards.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by pauly6478
    I would argue that you would have to play GW1 to realize just how bad GW2 is :]

GW1 was probably one of the worst buys I have ever made. Bought the collectors edition, and going from classic MMO's like DAoC and WoW, it was a true dissappointment you had to click to move etc. It was so bad I cannot describe how shitty it was.

GW2 felt great. But I got burned out when I did hit 80, and I never looked back. WvWvW seemed fun but was buggy and you had to run all the time when you died. No fun in that.

TSW was also bad. Bad animations.

I enjoy playing Defiance atm. Will it last? Don't know time will tell. I try not to play the same game too much these days.