Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game makes WoW looks good...

2»

Comments

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    'Good'  --   I don't think that word means what you think it means.......

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by Qallidexz
    I'm shocked that some people are into this game, it looks like WoW in space, except, I think WoW has better graphics... I'm surprised a company can still get a decent rating from releasing such crap even in 2013. What do people see in this game, really?

People are too frequently getting bad graphics and art style confused. I'm not saying they're high end, but I doubt they're worse than WoW. People have been saying the same thing about Neverwinter, and in reality their problem is with the classic artstyle of the Neverwinter series, rather than an actual issue with the graphics engine.

P.S.

I'm still waiting for gamers, MMO gamers especially, to figure out that more graphics = less game. 

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Compare side by side and look closer at the characters and armour.
  • StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    I'm shocked that some people are into this game, it looks like WoW in space, except, I think WoW has better graphics... I'm surprised a company can still get a decent rating from releasing such crap even in 2013. What do people see in this game, really?

I'm sick of your guilty until proven innocent style! It's the idea that matters!

I'm super-duper-ooper-whooper excited for this game, I gave it 11/10!

Surely there must be some way for us to stop these negative people who are just kickdownering our game!?

• MacecardMacecard Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

I swear when i first saw Wildstar video i thought i was watching WOW gameplay video in barrens. That is how much identical it is.

Yea, same here. It might not be a WoW-clone Gameplay-wise... but sure is graphics-wise.

Don't forget its also a clone online wise. Oh and they both have a website. wtf is going on?

If you continue to make sweeping statements like you know what everyone everywhere thinks about a certain topic then I am going to shout at you.
    It easy to type 'I think this is the worst game ever'
    Rather than the 'This is the worst game ever'

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

People are actually shocked other people are looking forward to something they're not? As in...people have different tastes other than my own?

I'm shocked. Just shocked. Shocked. 

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Well, this OP has got some great conversations going here, I'll give him that! image
  • JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

I like this game because it looks like a fun, well-made game.

Why you such a hater?

Hi

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

OP: Purposely bashing another game is common for fanboys. They have to disparage another title that 'threatens' theirs. The OP is big into CU so he pulls a Garriot and basically has to say other games suck to somehow bolster the position of the game he's following. Pretty old trick if you ask me. It doesn't even work.

The punch line of all this: Not once have the WildStar devs said anything bad about another MMO or studio. In fact, they have done nothing but support other studios. They even refunded $20 bucks to someone mistakenly spent on the wrong game thinking it was WildStar. Gaffney said that they really can't bash other games, since their folks helped make most of the good ones.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

I used to think the same thing, until I actually started looking into the game.  It has some simply amazing ideas to anyone who is a fan of Sanbox games; it's kind've an introduction to Sandbox MMOs for those who haven't played one, as it has a lot of themepark elements as well.

Give it some ample research and you'll see why it's so popular.   :D

One or 2 solid answers, out of the lot, thanks guys. Anyways, yea, I get the sandbox thing, I to love a good sandbox... But man, I do seriously think WoW has better graphix, but that's just me. I highly doubt it has better gameplay (what does, really?). Still, I'm surprised game developers can produce something with this level of graphics and still have a bunch of fans... I guess there are people really like the super-stylized graphics. What can you say...

Man, lotta haters in here. A man can't ask a question? Geez. Thanks to the few people who gave reasonable answers. lol

There was a video I watched where they addressed their choice of graphics style in terms of aethestics and art.  They made note that highly realistics games tend to be shunned six months down the road when the next "call of duty" is released, rendering the previous one obsolete in the eyes of "realistic" looking graphics fans.  The opposite is true in a game that aims for a specific art style; these games age well and could still be considered "Pretty" ten years later even as technology advances.  

Such an explanation probably won't quell personal taste when it comes to how one likes their games to look, but I believe it is a feasible "excuse" as to why so many MMOs go for style over pure graphics (in addition to the obvious lower system requirements equaling more potential customers).

What has really caught me is their sense of humor and the ideas they have pushing things forward.  Warplots, sandbox professions and elements, housing, raids, etc.  The way they talk about end game, subscription models, and how players can help each other with their professions (Such as settlers actively changing the world and setting down objects and houses others can interact with, explorers having exclusive access to underground networks with rare minerals and quicker transport around the words and who are able to invite others into their networks, scientists studying enemy types and finding various things out, etc.).  Then all those elements that could be introduced in PvP and Guild versus Guild Warfare like constructing bases and defenses and the like.

I'm probably most interested in the housing as I just loved it back in Ultima Online.  They have some great ideas for that as well.  But nearly every aspect seems to have some real thought behind it, and each of the characters shown seem to have real some good... character?  To them.

Five minute Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4_riSI7Ydg

These Episodes shows you some of their humor and character's... character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn8648VGMKM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FhB3iYv4Ng

Ninety minute video with a lot of gameplay and talking about the systems above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct9Ogn7AazM

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    The OP stirring the pot kind of made this not much of a discussion. An actual comparison thread  for someone genuinely looking for graphics differences/gameplay/etc would be fine but the way this was framed was just a bash.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.