Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Update 06 : Tuatha De Danann Concept

Comments

• KappenWizKappenWiz Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

I think I'm a bit hung up on the Superman/Prometheus body suit vibe. I'd like to see more breaks in the armor giving it a more medieval feel. I'm getting a bit too much sci-fi and not enough functional/medieval at the moment. Again, I like it, I'm excited about it, it just needs some tweaking.

Agree, I got an Ironman vibe off of it, slightly cold and detached. But overall, very nice implementation of a lot of elements. Hope all the races are heading this way.

• WazlukWazluk Member Posts: 159
    Some people complaining about it looking less realistic than DAoC... lol do they not remember Firbolgs and their beach ball size heads on their 3 ft side shoulders with their size 30 waist and size 18 boots?

Yes, my first bard was a bolg with green hair... until Mythic finally confirmed empathy did nothing for bards. Soooo gogo reroll celt bard! byebye to the 600k rps I had built up on the bolg(which was near the top for bards on my server back in the early days). Good times.

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us!
    Wazluk - Legionnaire of Terminus
    Draken Stalker
  • SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by Hagnar

Am I the only one who thinks that the TDD early prototype 3d model looks perfect for the purpose of the game? Low poly model but still looks gorgeous and detailed enough. Nice work! 

I agree completely !!

• TelynTelyn Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I'm loving the TDD art!
  • FoggyeFoggye Member UncommonPosts: 96

Looks pretty good for trying to limit graphics for gameplay.  Looks bit a on the bright side, but perhaps the color template for TDD realm is meant to be a bit gaudy.

I shall enjoy killing them.  Perhaps have him stuffed and hung up on the wall.  Do they come in six point plus variety :P

• EllyaEllya Member Posts: 99

Beautiful artwork!

I'm hoping that the model we've seen represents a tanky type and that different classes will have different builds.  I can't imagine a stealther would be too stealthy with all those muscles :)

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Originally posted by Ellya

Beautiful artwork!

I'm hoping that the model we've seen represents a tanky type and that different classes will have different builds.  I can't imagine a stealther would be too stealthy with all those muscles :)

Definitely. A big complaint I have with WoW models is they're all the same. I'm fine with tanks looking like He-Man, but I hate when mages and rogues look that way too.

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Originally posted by OgreRaper

Beautiful artwork!

Definitely. A big complaint I have with WoW models is they're all the same. I'm fine with tanks looking like He-Man, but I hate when mages and rogues look that way too.

That's something that hopefully will not be a "class" thing but simply a character customization thing. I don't think it'd be good to force anyone into a pre-determined "look" based solely on the class they play.

People that play tanks dont' all want to look like AHNULD or something, just as I'm sure some mages might not want to be suepr-skinny/old men in pointy hats either.

• MaricMaric Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Wondering if the name 'Tiddy Cent' would be against RP naming convention.  :P  (j/k)
  • ArbroathArbroath Member UncommonPosts: 176

Love the design. They look like decendants of the Celtic god Cerunnos.

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. ~Declaration of Arbroath

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

I think I'm a bit hung up on the Superman/Prometheus body suit vibe. I'd like to see more breaks in the armor giving it a more medieval feel. I'm getting a bit too much sci-fi and not enough functional/medieval at the moment. Again, I like it, I'm excited about it, it just needs some tweaking.

This was my initial reaction as well.

The actual graphics look good, though.

Solid fodder for my Viking, at any rate.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Originally posted by Stiler
    Originally posted by OgreRaper

Beautiful artwork!

That's something that hopefully will not be a "class" thing but simply a character customization thing. I don't think it'd be good to force anyone into a pre-determined "look" based solely on the class they play.

People that play tanks dont' all want to look like AHNULD or something, just as I'm sure some mages might not want to be suepr-skinny/old men in pointy hats either.

I don't agree entirely.  Sure, there should be tons of customization within classes, but I do think class recognition is an important factor.

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    I love the model and art style, not being fanboy because if I didn't like it I would say so.  
  • SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861

I can't stop being pumped about the TTD concept art and early 3d model. If every class/race combo has just THAT level of detaIl and style, I will be soooo happy, especially if they can get good performance out of it in large-scale battles.

Loving the style of the sword, too.

All in all, the horns/antlers, weapon stylle, armor style, and general demeanor already suggest something about the TDD (and this is just one race of them!) To me, it suggests a much darker, more violent and mysterious realm than did the DAoC Hibernians. Primal in less a hippy "we love teh naturez" sense but more in a "we know the forces that move in the earth and they are brutal and they will crush you" sense.

Now, I know this is a lot to infer from a few pieces of concept art/animation, but when colored by the bit of lore we already know, and by the the way visual art is supposed to express themes otherwise needing many words to express, I think it's warranted.

A great start, CSE. I am very excited/relieved to see that the art direction is not going to lack. Not overly-stylized, but with style. If the rest of the art direction and implementation follows suit, vision-wise, i think this game is going to have a lot of visual charm. Please try to get some more art assets out there before the KS ends to encourange potential backers!

As an aside: I LOVE LOVE LOVE the portrait concept art for the female TDD. I really hope they keep going with that aesthetic. It's actually my favorite piece of concept art yet.

• SaevelSaevel Member UncommonPosts: 102

I don't like the style.

Too cartoony and colourful for me. Very WoW-ish.

I also don't like the way the antlers look, or the body shape. They don't look right.

That said, good to see some art! Not being pessimistic or anything, just voicing my honest opinion.

• pokrakpokrak Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Good enough for me. I like this model. Keep it on.
  • VargurVargur Member CommonPosts: 143
    Originally posted by Saevel

I don't like the style.

I also don't like the way the antlers look, or the body shape. They don't look right.

That said, good to see some art! Not being pessimistic or anything, just voicing my honest opinion.

Got to agree to a certain degree. I like the antlers and continuation of The Wild Hunt, but the body shapes seem a bit pumped for me. Tone down the muscle mass a notch or two and it will be perfect.

Originally posted by Vargur

I don't like the style.

Got to agree to a certain degree. I like the antlers and continuation of The Wild Hunt, but the body shapes seem a bit pumped for me. Tone down the muscle mass a notch or two and it will be perfect.

Did you 2 play DAoC? Did you never see a Firbolg?

Terminus
    Draken Stalker
    Originally posted by Wazluk

I don't like the style.

Firbolgs had a pretty silly body shape too, yes.

I don't like the style.

Firbolgs had a pretty silly body shape too, yes.

Races: Yeah, people need to remember it's a fantasy game.  DAoC was a fantasy game and had fantasy type races(Luris, Bolgs, Sylvans, Trolls, if you go post MJ era they have some ugly cat race, Frosties, Minos, Shars, etc).  It's also 1 race of 1 realm.  I'm sure they'll add some "boring"/realistic human races also.  As far as colors go, it's easy enough for them to subdue colors if enough people don't like the intensity of them.

Armor: I do agree I would like the armor shown in concept to only the epic/top end of the gear level. If not toned down some, it definitely doesn't need to be flashier. No one should look like that at level 10...

Terminus
    Draken Stalker

Races: Yeah, people need to remember it's a fantasy game.  DAoC was a fantasy game and had fantasy type races(Luris, Bolgs, Sylvans, Trolls, if you go post MJ era they have some ugly cat race, Frosties, Minos, Shars, etc).  It's also 1 race of 1 realm.  I'm sure they'll add some "boring"/realistic human races also.  As far as colors go, it's easy enough for them to subdue colors if enough people don't like the intensity of them.

Armor: I do agree I would like the armor shown in concept to only the epic/top end of the gear level. If not toned down some, it definitely doesn't need to be flashier. No one should look like that at level 10...

You can do fantasy without rediculous looking body shapes. I think what I reacted to was the way he carries himself, arms swinging out wide. Looks a little stupid.

Anyway, I'm just saying I'm not thrilled, and why. I expect they want constructive criticism whenever possible. My intention wasn't nitpicking either, just a comment on the general art direction (based on this one model, yes).

• tleartlear Member Posts: 142
    Way too WoW cartoonish for me, I like realistic looking armor MUCH more then this plastic looking contraption
  • OldskooOldskoo Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by PerfArt

I can't stop being pumped about the TTD concept art and early 3d model. If every class/race combo has just THAT level of detaIl and style, I will be soooo happy, especially if they can get good performance out of it in large-scale battles.

Loving the style of the sword, too.

All in all, the horns/antlers, weapon stylle, armor style, and general demeanor already suggest something about the TDD (and this is just one race of them!) To me, it suggests a much darker, more violent and mysterious realm than did the DAoC Hibernians. Primal in less a hippy "we love teh naturez" sense but more in a "we know the forces that move in the earth and they are brutal and they will crush you" sense.

*SNIP*

As an aside: I LOVE LOVE LOVE the portrait concept art for the female TDD. I really hope they keep going with that aesthetic. It's actually my favorite piece of concept art yet.

I really like that too, the more I look at it. And the story behind the horns was pretty sweet. Ilove that these guys (and, I hope, the entire TDD faction )  have that feral, dark, somewhat primal look about them that reminds me of some of the more darker and wild forces found in Fae mythology and some old PnP lorebooks - but with their own twist on it ofc.

Also, I  wanted to say I loved that portrait of the female TDD as well - very nice! It is my wife and my favorite too!

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

Originally posted by redcapp

Originally posted by Xobdnas I think I'm a bit hung up on the Superman/Prometheus body suit vibe. I'd like to see more breaks in the armor giving it a more medieval feel. I'm getting a bit too much sci-fi and not enough functional/medieval at the moment. Again, I like it, I'm excited about it, it just needs some tweaking.
    This was my initial reaction as well.

The actual graphics look good, though.

Solid fodder for my Viking, at any rate.

The more I look at it the more it starts to look like a cross between superman and (I hate to say this) WOW (full body suit stuff). Utilizing some of the suggestions I made to make it more realistic should bring it to the right place (that place being more functional and less space flight suit). Good start, just needs to be less wow and more functional.

Anyone who is upset that a few of us dropped the WOW reference need only to Google images "blood elf death knight", to deny it is very similar is just silly.

I know were all super jacked for CU, but we have to remember to keep an open mind and look at everything objectively and most importantly be unafraid to give CONSTRUCTIVE feedback (CU can only benefit from it). If we let our emotions blind us it can only hurt CU.

As for the way he walked and his build, I liked that very much.

Ok I saved you the time.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=30utm9x&s=6

Great find, Xobdnas.  I won't disagree that it "looks" like World of Warcraft's art style, but it's because of one thing.  Hand Painted Textures.

In the industry you can either use photo manipulation from real life high resolution images or paint the texture using a wacom tablet.  There are different benefits to both, but the only reason so many companies get called "WoW" clones in the graphics department is because Blizzard uses the hand painted texture technique in order to further reduce the need of polygons as the art style allows to push additional depth that a realistic photo simply cannot provide.

Is it similiar?  Yes.  Is it the same? No.  All hand painted textures are different and honestly, it's the best way to go for stylized effects.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

Here's an example for posters that don't know what hand painted texture techniques are in the industry:

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.