Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Divergence Online: Introducing a 'Hardcore Sandbox MMO'

13»

Comments

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265
    It sounds like an awesome game, and I hope someone takes his ideas and makes a pve game afterwards, but have fun all you pvp fans ~ 
  • mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

Oh yeah, to have hardcore SWG we have to add in Tera/Aion based combat, and of course improve on that, but I'd love to have several planets and spaceships again, and the housing player cities sytem, along with huge expansive zones both outland and instanced... Give us complex, very complex skill trees... no cookie cutter builds or simplistic mists of pandaria nonsense, real choice in how you want to spend skill points... 

Wearing Jetpacks and having true 3D Combat... having the game set to 3D for our new 3D monitors ... and maybe someday holographic gameplay... 

• FradenFraden Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Originally posted by mysticaluna
    It sounds like an awesome game, and I hope someone takes his ideas and makes a pve game afterwards, but have fun all you pvp fans ~ 

We will have much fun. I don't know how you expect to have a "hardcore" PvE. The only game I've seen do that successfully is Diablo 2, any others I don't count because they were all hack&slash that copied D2.

(It sucks you dont wanna see it)

• IczerIczer Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by xylok
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by snapfusion
    Originally posted by Yalexy

Originally posted by Fraden

Originally posted by Yalexy Good ideas, but this game will fail for one reason... there's no safer areas for people to just do some PvE without being forced to constantly watch their backs. EvE Online has shown, that you need these safer areas to make open world FFA PvP work.
    Who ever said there wont be safe areas, or heavily gaurded areas? All he said is there is FFA PvP, didn't say it's impossible to have a safe place, just that you CAN be attacked anywhere. People have to be daring enough to do so, and if you go on the game's forums and read what he has detailed about how factions work you would realize it is extremely risky to attack anyone without consideration and preperation for the consequences.

I guess I'm just let down by too many FFA PvP MMOs in the past, that simply didn't get this part of the equation right.

Also. You need some amount of easily consumable PvE for the carebears to support a living game-universe, which is shown by EvE Online aswell, where 75% of the players never leave high-sec.

Agreed, nice to see some sandbox games coming out, but the fact still remains there is a finite number of gamers that will put up with a Full loot PvP game period, but every sandbox dev thinks they need that in their "sandbox"  Whats going to happen is simple, all these sandbox full looters are going to come out and the same small number of players are just going to get further spread out.  Meaning most will never achive any real success numbers wise, and just limp along like DF and Mortal have.

They will all just canabiize each other.  No the rest of the gamers wont come around to Full Loot, its just not going to happen, dream on indies.

Yeah, my opinion is about the same. I wish the indie developers would get off the full open PvP thing, it brings out the worst parts of the MMO community. Full loot PvP and crafting a centric economy do not go together. EvE has pushed that about as far as that will go, and even then a lot of people don't like that system. Open world is fine, and even good, but open world and always flagged PvP would be hard to do well, if there were a reason for there to be dedicated crafters. Personally, I think SWG had the right mix: open world PvP, but must be flagged for it or acquire a TEF (temporary enemy flag) by helping or dealing with a flagged player. Full on all the time PvP is bad for crafters and a crafting based economy.

You never played Ultima Online did you?

A great balance of PvP, PvE, and Crafting - The struggle between the PK'ers and the PK Killers are by far the most fun I have had in any MMORPG.

You had actual risk for reward - there was actual adrenaline and excitement everytime you logged on.

If a gaming community wants easy mode, with only a challenge of a grind, than I no longer want to be a part of that community.

I did actually play some UO and what you say is not wholly wrong. But fast forward 12 years and the kinds of players that PK'd then and now are totally different. Not nearly as much E-peen back then and yes, PK'ers were controlled to a degree. People PK now in games like DF and MO just to be D-bags and ruin other people's fun and I never saw that back then (but MMO communities were far better back then, as a function of who was playing them and who wasn't). But then UO was wrecked a bit in later incarnations and it became a footnote in the industry. Full loot FFA PvP as it exists NOW and any decent crafting don't/won't mix well, if that is more clear.

Fail ... UO, Chesapeak server 1998-2003 I griefed many times when I was bored just to ruin other peoples day or rush in to those horrower spawns to try and snag power scrolls and other loot. I also ran around on the same server on another character with friends and fought against  douchbags such as myself with my friends.

The exact same people 12 years ago are the exact same people today ... e-peen waving, insult throwing, laugh in your face when you die people. Nothing has changed except a massive influx of people who have had their hands held for far too long in games and cant fathom how life could be different. I knew tons of non pvpers in UO ... miners, smiths, tinkers ... they had ZERO desire for pvp but still played the game longer than most of the population play a game these days.

• FradenFraden Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Originally posted by Iczer  
    Fail ... UO, Chesapeak server 1998-2003 I griefed many times when I was bored just to ruin other peoples day or rush in to those horrower spawns to try and snag power scrolls and other loot. I also ran around on the same server on another character with friends and fought against  douchbags such as myself with my friends.
    The exact same people 12 years ago are the exact same people today ... e-peen waving, insult throwing, laugh in your face when you die people. Nothing has changed except a massive influx of people who have had their hands held for far too long in games and cant fathom how life could be different. I knew tons of non pvpers in UO ... miners, smiths, tinkers ... they had ZERO desire for pvp but still played the game longer than most of the population play a game these days.

This has to be one of the best statements I've seen in this thread yet. I still can't believe the amount of people complaining about PvP anywhere at anytime, that's what made UO so much fun.

Infact of the big 3 original MMO's (Everquest, Asheron's Call, UO) UO was by far the most popular, and Asheron's Call had a FULL PvP server let us not forget that! It was the MOST popular server, everyone played Darktide, maybe not religiously but everyone had at least 1 character on there that they did play.

Let us not forget the Everquest Zek servers and Discord server (Severe penalties for death). These three are still around in some shape or form, how many other MMO's can claim that long of life? I even still know people in AC who have played since it's inception and are still playing.

(It sucks you dont wanna see it)

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by mCalvert
    The safest area is the one your guild/clan/corp controls. Just like real life. So long as we have the sandbox freedom to provide our own security, i dont need any carebear safezones.

Favorite quote of the day.

Although there is something to be said for a noob friendly zone to give people some safety to learn to play. So long as I can skip it and spawn right in my guilds lands.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I like how my comment was deleted saying that MMORPG.com should cover games like this more instead of CU which hasn't even begun development. Apparently freedom of speech even when it's polite isn't always allowed on this site.

Smile

• SurfriderSurfrider Member UncommonPosts: 302
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    I like how my comment was deleted saying that MMORPG.com should cover games like this more instead of CU which hasn't even begun development. Apparently freedom of speech even when it's polite isn't always allowed on this site.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5664798#5664798

I think the above link is the thread you're referring to.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Just seen this been a bit busy getting Planet Explorers noticed and funded,so quite amazed that this has not done a bit better,while CU is raking it  in and isn't that PVP based so they should love this,but one big difference Divergence was in stasis just needed the funds,there is a solid game here may take a while but for 10 dollars I might back it as I like his no holds barred vision.
    p>
  • JamesPJamesP Member UncommonPosts: 595

I have been keeping track of this game for some time now. I even had the chance to work with Ethan a couple months ago when he joined us. He didn't stay with us for long though because he wanted to get back to work on this game.

He's a great guy and I wish him the best of luck with this project! I know I'll be the first in line to get in when it launches!

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Sandboxes arent meant to be hardcore. They are more casual than themeparks. Dont see why people get confused on this. Sandboxes =/= ffa open world pvp either. Misconceptions, nothing more.
  • KubalayKubalay Member Posts: 3
    I can't wait for this thing to finally go through, it's nice to see MMORPG sit up and take notice, I hope more interviews come about to get some more interest in this game.

Agreed, this game is gonna ruin my life. I am quitting my day job, dedicating full time to this game. I can't comprehend how such an idea took so long to get made! I have been dreaming of a game like this since before I can remember. Good work Ethan & his team! 

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

I'll be watching this game closely too.  Just to see how badly it gets trashed when everyone finally gets to play it!

Woohoo!

Hype +10!!

I do give the guy props for trying tho. ;)

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560

I thought this dev's closing to his post was funny:

"Thanks for your input.
    You are really, really, going to be surprised.
    And if you aren't surprised, you are a cynical prick."

http://www.divergence-online.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=240

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• RaminasMORaminasMO Member Posts: 3
    Eh... looks cool but I think I'll stick with Mortal Online til it releases and I can check it out.
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    We'll see. Basically just a bunch of games trying to build hype around the image they want to be perceived as. Seen a lot of fail and would rather see something successful, so that is why "we'll see".