Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Defiance: Review In Progress #1

Comments

• SoldarithSoldarith Member Posts: 184

The game is very fun for someone who enjoys online shooters. It is like playing an online Borderlands type of game more than anything else. This isn't a "bad" thing, as there are many of us out there that enjoy this kind of gameplay.

However, it does need to strengthen its multiplayer aspects to sustain a playerbase. For example, an auction house or trade system would help player interactivity. Chat is a major issue right now, especially on consoles (more in a second), whether its textual or voice it needs some major help.

There should be a large warning sign with this: Your mileage will vary and vary greatly based upon your selected gaming medium! Your experience on PC will greatly differ from that on a console and even that between the two console versions. This is very important to note because, in all honesty, right now console players just want to be able to play a stable game; especially on Xbox where the servers are experiencing loads that were not anticipated.

All-in-all, its a fun third-person shooter that plays in a large online world, with a good variety of weapons and quests to handle many different styles and tastes. Longevity will depend solely upon Trion's ability to fix the most pressing bugs and issues as quick as possible, push out content on a regular basis (possibly matching that of the TV show), and refining the game's more multiplayer aspects to intice players to interact and communicate with one another more.

• HolyfleadipHolyfleadip Member Posts: 67

I've not written the game off, but as an MMO player....I'll wait to see what they add to the game (or as one said..wait for a trial acct) in the near future and what they fix (UI, event balance, etc...).

I wonder how many of the Happy Players above normally play FS instead of MMO.  It feels like it met expectations on the FS side vs. not so well on the MMO.  Just my impression from what comments I've read.

I thought your review was quite good Bill.  Thx for your time.  It covered both positive and negatives in a fair light. 

• 123443211234123443211234 Member UncommonPosts: 244

"As the new kid on the block, Trion's Defiance brings a lot of promise to the table for the MMOFPS genre."

Too bad its absolutely not an mmofps, it is an mmoTPS.   THIRD PERSON ONLY!  There is no first person perspective in game so how could it possibly be considered an fps?

P.S.  Yes I am upset that there is no fps view, and will not play or purchase because of this.  The third person viewpoint is ridiculously skewed to the right of your character and looks terrible.

• Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124

I'm enjoying the game, I agree that there needs to be more things to do other than just shooting things or the game will become dull in time but at the minute I'm having a blast. 

My one big big big complaint is the chat system,that needs sorting ASAP or I feel it could seriously damage the game.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by KingofHartz
    Originally posted by snapfusion
    Its fun but on a ps3 48 vs 48 pvp and 300 people pve fighting an arkfall is an absolute mess. Its very chaotic which I do enjoy but performance wise its a mess. Day 2 seemed to bring on many many new players and the ps3 servers are overloaded.
    Its still fun and very chaotic. The performance issue in pvp is unacceptable pve gets away with a bit more so long as you dont die but bith can be fixed and hopefully soon they will be.

Gee what a shame, I had roughly, 80 people on screen last night in the middle of a super chaotic event, cars, people monsters zerging everwhere and I was still pulling a solid 60 plus FPS on my, I admit rather beefy PC.  But my point is dont expect to play a game like this on your toy console and get the console single player button mashing performance your used to from the comfort of your sofa.   Suck it up and buy a PC or pop in the lastest console shooter disc and stop complaining.

***warning fat agression overload*** Chill dude I wasnt complaining just stating what is. Im not saying change the game for pc I would expect pc to be able to handle 10 times what consoles can. There are no games out worth buying a pc for right now. Buying a pc is a bad investment considdring the poor quality of games and the fast changing pace of technology. For ps3 defiance just needs to scale it back a bit.

There is simply no way consoles are going to pull these zergs off with anything even close to playable framerates, I think Trion is nuts for even trying.   But somewhere down the line the PC platform is going to get nerfed graphically or some concession will be made for consoles that will degrade my PC experience, I can almost gaurentee it.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Combat is a blast, and I love how you have to pay attention to most enemies to bring them down.  Many, if not most, have very high defensives which take forever to kill if you just try and pump them full of bullets randomly.  They go down pretty fast if you pace yourself, and conserv amo for accurate shots at weak points that get exposed, such as when the big mutant guy drops to his knees for a few seconds and removes his welding mask, or the matriarch bugs that expose bits of soft tissue during and after certain attacks.

You make me like charity

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,957

- Chat system not working (in an MMO where people are suppose to communicate with eachother and work together!)

- Loot not working on Arkfalls. Half the time Arkfalls don't complete after destroying crystals and so not even giving XP and crip rewards!!

- Hours of progression loss due to rollback on server crash. TRION waiting for hours to bring servers back online, saying it was an emergency maintenance, keeping silent and pretend nothing happened! While lots of people even lost Bits bought with hard cash due to the rollback!

- Co-op instances bugged out.... everyone stuck and unable to reset the instance all day!

- Main Story missions hanging on completion and suddenly resetting, forcing you to do it all over again!

- No trade / auction system.

And I can go on really.....

I am seriously dissapointed and just cannot believe how TRION has fallen this far and screwed up so badly!

All to make the stupid deadline for the TV Show launch, which over half the playerbase cannot even see due to region restrictions!! /facepalm

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

I'm awful at shooters.  I would last about 10 seconds and be dead, rightfully so.  A great MMO is another thing, but they say this is not a great MMO so I stay away.

It's kind of like Mass Effect.  The actual gameplay in those games were pretty bad, the best part was the cinematic cut scenes which is why it was so great.

Is this a TV show>?  Does anyone even watch it?  I do not really watch a whole lot of TV, so maybe it is a huge hit.  Maybe they should have made a Walking Dead MMO and tie in the show with that. Yeah!  Kickin ass with Merle as your companion....heck even Zombie Merle would be good.

I just really wanted to talk about Merle...

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Having a lot of fun with this game on my Xbox 360. Trion is doing a great job at addressing all the launch problems as they did with Rift.
  • BcudaBcuda Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Defiance on the pc. Lots of lag and alot of bugs... But ill wait and see. and driving is terible
  • ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by JeroKane

- Chat system not working (in an MMO where people are suppose to communicate with eachother and work together!)

What do you mean not working? Given, I haven't tried to chat much as I'm playing with friends via Vent, but I can open up the chat menu via ctrl menu and type and stuff.

- Loot not working on Arkfalls. Half the time Arkfalls don't complete after destroying crystals and so not even giving XP and crip rewards!!

Never had an arkfall not complete, but yes, the lack of loot is an issue.

- Hours of progression loss due to rollback on server crash. TRION waiting for hours to bring servers back online, saying it was an emergency maintenance, keeping silent and pretend nothing happened! While lots of people even lost Bits bought with hard cash due to the rollback!

Didn't experience this myself, as I was logged out a good while before it happened. It is a problem, but I find it very likely that Trion will get it all sorted out. The game may have some issues, but Trion is generally VERY good when it comes to support.

- Co-op instances bugged out.... everyone stuck and unable to reset the instance all day!

Haven't had this happen to me either. I've done Liberate the Lost a few times and every time it worked flawlessly.

- Main Story missions hanging on completion and suddenly resetting, forcing you to do it all over again!

Again, never had this happen either. On Episode missions, main missions, or side missions. Not saying it DOESN'T happen, but in my 10 hours of play time, I, nor any of my friends, experienced it.

- No trade / auction system.

You CAN trade. Not sure if you have to be in a group or not, but my group has been trading weapons and mods back and forth all day. As for an AH, I personally don't miss it, but if enough people want it, and Trion feels like adding one, then so be it. 

And I can go on really.....

I am seriously dissapointed and just cannot believe how TRION has fallen this far and screwed up so badly!

All to make the stupid deadline for the TV Show launch, which over half the playerbase cannot even see due to region restrictions!! /facepalm

Here's my post from another topic:

Picked up two copies and played about four hours [~10 hours as of today] with my brother. We did quite a few side missions, a few main missions, a few episode missions, as well as participated in a few random events (resucing techs/hostages, defending from mutant attacks, destroying hellbug nests, etc.), and did a major Arkfall. It's not the second coming by any means, nor did I expect it to be, but it's FUN, and that's what counts. Well worth the $48 I spent on it. 

Does it have problems? Absolutely. There's the fairly poor UI, a lack of graphic options (Low, Med, High, and a custom option that reveals nothing). Sometimes you'll see people using vehicles float, or disappear, or some such case, mostly when they ramp and go airborn (or so has been my experience). But I've not encountered anything gamebreaking. [Again, that's not to say there aren't any issues that are gamebreaking, just that me nor several other people I've been playing with have had any issues]

I haven't tried the PvP out, so I can't comment on that as of yet.

Again, it's not the second coming of christ in an MMOTPS form. It does have some issues. But I had TONS of fun in my four hours played, and I can't wait to log in again. How long the fun will last? Who knows. I imagine it will last quite a while, for me anyways. If you're unsure, there's nothing wrong with waiting for reviews, or a trial to appear, or a sale. I would encourage all people that value their money to do such things before dropping it on something they're unsure of (unless you're just so loaded that it's basically pocket change to you, in that case go nuts I suppose).

• VamperoVampero Member UncommonPosts: 38

My quick thought’s about Defiance ! Don’t call it a MMO ,save your money ! If you called it a 3rd person multiplayer online shooter, I would have been ok with it.

The show is going to be better than the game..lol

*UI is made for consoles
    *Chat system is lacking
    *Can’t change the UI
    *No Crafting
    *No real guild system
    *Mutants are dumber than a box of rocks.
    *The Mutants remind me of  sloth from the Goonies ! Baby Ruth,Baby Ruth !
    *Skill tree’s are so weak
    *Arkfalls are a carbon copy of Rifts
    *No auction house too !

• KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Its fun but on a ps3 48 vs 48 pvp and 300 people pve fighting an arkfall is an absolute mess. Its very chaotic which I do enjoy but performance wise its a mess. Day 2 seemed to bring on many many new players and the ps3 servers are overloaded.
    Its still fun and very chaotic. The performance issue in pvp is unacceptable pve gets away with a bit more so long as you dont die but bith can be fixed and hopefully soon they will be.

Who cares about consoles ;P

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

Enjoying this game presently, also looking forward to the show. However I do have a couple of gripes.

The UI is an issue, it just needs a bit of tweaking and streamling though so not a massive issue. I am hoping more feedback on this will help improve the service. 

The other issue for me (baring in mind im only a couple of hours in) is the large amount of MOD related rewards. Which, I suppose might not be an issue later, but considering that two hours in I still have not received a gone that is capable of equipping a mod. 

I have had to literally gut my bag and sell mods I didn't really want to sell and just keep ones I intend to use for my first load out which is sniper rifle and shotgun. 

All in all though the game is quite enjoyable and I wouldn't really call it an 'FPS' it is simular to Mass Effect without the cover mechanics. 

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520

I didn't fall for it this time. I resisted buying a game on potential. I did find the game fun in beta, but afer a while the bugs, the interface and all the other little things start to stand out more. I do think this game could be something pretty fun, I also have faith in Trion that they will support this game. That being said, as a company they have a lot on their plate right now - so it is possible that we won't see the same great level of support that we see with Rift. Things might take a little longer to get fixed or changed.

I'm hoping this game does live up to it's potential, but I'm tired of paying for potential. I'll wait until the game is in a little better shape.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,454

Gee what a shame, I had roughly, 80 people on screen last night in the middle of a super chaotic event, cars, people monsters zerging everwhere and I was still pulling a solid 60 plus FPS on my, I admit rather beefy PC.  But my point is dont expect to play a game like this on your toy console and get the console single player button mashing performance your used to from the comfort of your sofa.   Suck it up and buy a PC or pop in the lastest console shooter disc and stop complaining.

***warning fat agression overload*** Chill dude I wasnt complaining just stating what is. Im not saying change the game for pc I would expect pc to be able to handle 10 times what consoles can. There are no games out worth buying a pc for right now. Buying a pc is a bad investment considdring the poor quality of games and the fast changing pace of technology. For ps3 defiance just needs to scale it back a bit.

Poor quality of games?  Sorry, but the pc has many games that are vastly superior to anything you can find on consoles.

As for the review in progress, I have to say I mostly agree.  Its not a "real" mmo yet but its still very fun.  Also, if you go to the Gameplay options in the settings, set Show Damage Numbers to ON to get a more Borderlands like experience, plus you will have a better idea on how much damage you are doing.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• SiecefireSiecefire Member Posts: 23
    Having the opportunity to play this game in the final beta weekend was truly a blessing, because it is the "John Carter" of video games.  Trion pulled their dev team from Rift for this?  I'm sorry but in my opinion, this game is going to tank like the aformentioned movie. They will be lucky to recoup the advertising budget.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    John Carter was an awesome movie, and Defiance is a great game! So good analogy :-p

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Precusor

It lacks size and depth which is understandable for a console port.

Im so sick of this console excuse because Final Fantasy 11 was pretty big and had a lot of depth in many aspects of gameplay than most mmos that are only PC...Its crafting system was complex, there is the skillchain system, being able to change to any class with a single character, the sub-job system where you can mix classes, earning advanced classes through difficult quests, Aquiring Artifact Armor, and some of the most difficult boss fights of any mmo that took a lot of planning and strategy. So please, cuz for a console mmo it had so much more depth than many popular PC only mmos.

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

Paid preorder....have yet to play the game.

Trion customer support is some of the worst I've ever seen.

The game was fun during beta, but if someone offered me a full refund right now I'd take it.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,957
    Originally posted by Binny45

Paid preorder....have yet to play the game.

Trion customer support is some of the worst I've ever seen.

The game was fun during beta, but if someone offered me a full refund right now I'd take it.

The whole game is a trainwreck at the moment, with so many issues. Their CS is totally overloaded with a huge backlog!

Wish I could have resisted the urge to buy as well and kept the 60 bucks in my wallet.

Especially after today's announcement that the first patch won't be coming until after the 15th of April.

So we are stuck with a broken game, no working chat system (in an MMO for christ sake) for two weeks before it (hopefully) becomes more playable and you'll be able to actually communicate with other players ingame.

• Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233

That was a bit harsh. Consoles are fine tuned gaming machines (though this generation is nearly over and the current systems we have are now outdated) but PC gaming is not 100% the best way to go or without major drawbacks. I've been PC gaming since 1999 (gaming in general since around 1986) and I can tell you PC gaming is in general unreliable. PC's are all differant. One person may have an Nvidia graphics card and another an ATI. You may find out that your ATI graphics card is buggy at best with Game A, but on game B you may run super smooth. Also some games may come out that don't even run on your system or that you'll have to spend days troubleshooting. The nice things about consoles is that they're unified. Developers know the hardware like the back of their hands and know what it can do, and they know every player has the same hardware. With that in mind they can build games specificaly tailored to run on those systems.

The reason Defiance is having issues on consoles like that is mainly due to the fact that this generation of consoles is ending this year (or next year). After that PS4 and Xbox 720 will be upto speed and you'll see PCs for a while on a similar level. PC gaming is great, but it does have major drawbacks just as console gaming does too. So yes I hate it when PC gamers get on their high horse and act like PCs are the end-all gaming platform and that no other platform is valid or worth anyones time. For the longest time at the start of this generation of gaming it was consoles not PCs that were holding the industry up. PC gaming may be becoming more popular these days and a lot of people keep talking about the consoles eventual demise but I honestly don't see it happening any time soon. Remember most games in general are built and developed for consoles and PCs are in some ways an after thought, a market that developers exploit because it's so easy to port their games over because in many cases they were designed on PCs.

So next time your playing your AAA PC title (that happens to be on Xbox or PS) just remember that the devs were likely creating the game to cash in on the multi-billion dollar console market and my point with that is that modern gaming owes much of its recent evolution to consoles and the console market.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Horrible chat system makes it hard to interact with others. Mostly feel like a solo console shooter.

There are not trading / auction houses

No bank space

Can not mail to other players

No trading or exchanging items with others.

No crafting system

PVP is average

Guild system is very basic.

If you can look past the shortcomings, there is some fun to be find in there for a week or two. Just treat it like any other shooter game you buy for console you won't be disappointed. There is hardly anything MMOish about it.

• maciopamaciopa Member CommonPosts: 49

Do not buy this game. I did and I regret that. The game is faulty/bugged product with a lot of flaws/problems/lags/unfinished stuff etc. The worst thing is that Trion has the worst "customer support" ever. They treat every owner of the game as sth what cat dragged... They follow "We already have your money, s**er!" policy, as they are not bound by any monthly payments plans, so the more people they discourage from playing the less problems will their "customer support" have.  

My HYPE level was high, esp after the beta phase, that's why I bought that game. It is the last time I did that. Thanks to TRION and their disrespectful treatment - I will wait few months to buy anything "freshly launched". Unfortunatelly for me - my +xp/scrip bonus timer is ticking... and cannot be paused, as it is based on realtime. 

My Advice : DO NOT BUY THIS GAME NOW. WAIT A MONTH OR TWO. FOLLOW GAME FORUMS. Then decide if you want to give your money to such company.

• maciopamaciopa Member CommonPosts: 49

Trion is deaf for our refund claims. I did and receiver NULL answers in that topic. They (TRION) do not comply with Customer's Rights Protection Laws.

WORST CUSTOMER SUPPORT EVER!