Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Role Players Unite!

Comments

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Sornin

Was it really stated somewhere that backers need to campaign for an RP server this early? Do not get me wrong, I would love to see one get done, and I have nothing at all against requesting one, but this seems at least a year, maybe two years, too early.

Right now I think CSE is more worried about getting $2M pledged and a game built. A ruleset, which is actually quite simple for RP servers since it is generally not about changing code but rather about policing jackasses, can easily be developed and implemented in the last few months of development.

Anyway, good luck all the same!

Yes, MJ did tell us on the kickstarter site in comments.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• AthileaAthilea Member Posts: 72

@Fanglo: Thank you very much! I know that I, and likely a lot of other role players, would love to have access to that!

@Redcapp: His point, in the end, was that he doesn't personally think RP fits well in MMOs. I'm fairly certain that he's also over posting on my Reddit thread under a different name. I say this because the point of rp belonging to Pen and Paper was brought up by that poster, and it seems to much like a coincidence that they would both touch on that in the same day.

Thank you for supporting this though!

@Maric: Thank you! I happen to agree with you. If you give role players a server, and enforce it, then we will be loyal for as long as the game allows. Well, most of us. 

@Daizedd: I would be willing to shell out a bit extra a month for that as well. I think that's something that needs to be stressed, and I'll add it to the first page. I believe that many role players would feel the same to ensure that we get the enforcement on an rp server that we need.

@Sornin: Technically, no. He stated that the backers have to advocate for it, though, so I figure the earlier I do then the better our chances of getting it. I have no doubt, personally, that the game will be funded. It's a lot, but I believe that we will see surges in the amount as more and more information comes out. I also believe that more backers will come when we see some of the stretch goals, and that some people will even up the amount they have backed to reach whatever the level that gives you all the stretch goals is.

I'm sure they are worred about getting it backed primarily, and I'm not really trying to distract them by pointing to my threads. I'm trying to raise awareness among the role players to make sure that we advocate for as long as it takes to make sure that we get the server we want. I really don't think there is harm in what we are doing.

Thank you for wishing us good luck, though!

@Skyrek: The game is likely to be loads of fun with, or without, rp. Also, role players -always- find a way to 'claim' a server. We much prefer that new people coming to the game not have to dig around to find which server we are on, though, and instead and choose a server that's specifically dedicated to it. The enforcement would also be awesome! Thank you for supporting this!

@Tayah: That is another point, he did say the backers have to support it. That being said, if speaking technically about it, we are going to have the founders forums whenever they go live so it -could- wait until then. Why wait, though? Why not start getting awareness up that this is something that we have to do? Why not start getting as many people to post now, and then link back to these from the thread we put up on the founders forums, so that MJ can see how long we've been trying to get approval from the backers for it? I really think that starting this early is the best option.

I don't generally like to double post if I can avoid it, but I want to keep this on the first page so that people can be aware of it. A sticky for this would be nice as a lot of people have expressed interest in this.
  • VargurVargur Member CommonPosts: 143

I do remember Shadowclan with fond memories from Guinevere. Equally funny was the frustration of guild mates grouping with them, and not having a clue as to what the trolls and kibbies were talking about. Great bunch of people, and always funny to hang around.

What DAoC did right in RP sense was also to make the setting very open, so different guilds could have their own sub-plots that they could fit into the world. A rich setting isn't necessary for good RP, and often less is more.

I have never been a true RPer in the sense that I create elaborate backstories and family trees for my characters, but I try in small ways to help. For me, the important thing is naming policies as inapporpriate names break immersion, for me at least.

I agree with that Vargur. I hadn't thought of that aspect of how DAoCs story helped rp. As long as there is a general, overall story line a bit of lore information, then role players can build a wonderful world from that. Thank you so much for the comment. 

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

I'll likely condense my thoughts on this matter more directly to the CU project at some point.

To quickly point out what I feel is required with the current state of RP servers:

Enforcement. If RP servers are to exist then enforcement is required. Swtor set up RP servers but stated they would not enforce them to any real degree past their normal rules of conduct. This imo is a failure of service. Enforcement of the bare minimum concept of rp is required. Names of players and guilds are amongst the basics. Player conduct is amongst the basics. If RP must be fostered through enforment because players cannot police it themselves effectively. They have not been given the tools.

This is why rp mechanics need to be integrated into the game more. Players should have in game enforment tools and rp supported through gameplay more. I'm not here currently to throw out ideas on how this could be implemented but having the most basic elements of rp in an rpg should be supported within the game so external policing isn't required or is minimalized.

Modern clone mmos have gone away from rp elements because their makers have catered to the new influx of players who have zero rp background. Modern mmos often are built from the ground up to appeal to a wide audience which typically alienates the core rpg audience which launched the existence of mmos to begin with. The almighty dollar steered mmos away from a niche audience to the mainstream and see clearly the results of this. It influences a large portion of the founding principles listed on the CU website. Player characters need to be an active element within the game. They shouldn't simply be a casual presense that can log in 10 times a year during updates with no impact. When they leave for large periods of time there should be an impact in game and on the account. The player must weight heavily if they want to be part of this game or not. The need for the character to be heavily connected to the world must exist.

Two factors right off the bat that can asisst this in CU:

1. Wonderful lore and feel of world like DAoC had. Some games you log into and you feel little. Others you log in and it feels like no other game. It simply has something special. Daoc had that.

2. Sandbox elements. This can be defined in so many ways but each mechanic but as defined in the founding principles the more a player has control over the world their in the more content is created from it. The more a player can interact with the world the more they feel a part of it. SImple example: A player explores the world and enters a high risk area (in both pve and pvp). They find an acient artifact or structure. In most games this is nothing more than something that looks cool and is quickly ignored. The alternative is that it could be of use to players in some way tied into existing systems. Perhaps lore unlocks lead to learning it's use, guild level crafting may require suck hidden and mystical locations for rare recipes and suddenly it isn't just a pve objective but an important area guilds can try to control. An acient evil could reside there and is why I disagree with mobs having no drops. Mobs can be considered resource nodes just like typical nodes. The whole world should be a resource.

You stay sassy!

Now that, Tama, is something that I can agree with. Many of the MMO'RPGs' I've played did not make me feel like they cared about their rp community, even the games that have so called rp servers. That is why my first post states that this needs to be an enforced server. Hell, I'm a stay at home mom. I will -volunteer- what time I can as a GM if that is what is necessary to make an rp server a reality!

Edit:

I also think that the characters having a bigger impact on the world is a wonderful idea for role players and non-role players alike.

Another Edit:

Yeah, I agree with just about everything you have said in this post. Thank you for coming back to clarify what it is you are looking for. I think that CU is going to have a lot of the elements that we need already, expecially considering that it looks to be build off of Authurian legends. We will have to wait and see as lore comes out, but I think it's going to be a -very- fertile ground for some -amazing- rp.

Originally posted by Athilea

Now that, Tama, is something that I can agree with. Many of the MMO'RPGs' I've played did not make me feel like they cared about their rp community, even the games that have so called rp servers. That is why my first post states that this needs to be an enforced server. Hell, I'm a stay at home mom. I will -volunteer- what time I can as a GM if that is what is necessary to make an rp server a reality!

Edit:

I also think that the characters having a bigger impact on the world is a wonderful idea for role players and non-role players alike.

What worked amazing well at the start of the game when new players were plentiful was Asheron's Call envoys and advocates. Players volunteered to assist new players with information and various services. The trick here was finding excellent helpers who stayed in character and didn't exploit their additional powers. if set up right it help bond the community and players didn't have to rely upon ticket services. This went beyond guilds because let's face it, guilds are typically very selfish and only help themselves.

I'd love to see tools implemented that gave in game assistance abilities to the players inside and outside of guilds. Perhaps starter crafting, class and rvr representatives available at times set by the player. Volunteers can be rewared with titles and cosmetic items but with care taken so abuse of power is minimalized. This can be tricky contractually as other games have proven but if done right it places more power within the player community and less in the hands of the game makers.

You stay sassy!

Tama, that reminds me of something that I absolutely loved about EQ2. That was the system that allowed players to take on a role similar to what you mean. They would hold mini events on the various servers, rp and non rp alike, that had to be role played out but would help get the community more engaged and bring it together. As a reward to the players that partook of that, they were given free subscriptions. They were also given the base expansion everytime one was released because it was required to do the work. 

You were not allowed to participate in that program on your own server, so that you could not exploit it. You could tell people that you were part of the program, but you could not tell them what server you participated in the program on. There were minimum requirements on what you had to do and it generally revolved around doing something for 4 hours a week. 

I would love to see something like that, or what you described, implemented.

Thanks again Ath for making this post for us.

Dark Age of Camelot

There really isn't a need for thanks. <3 I appreciate it though. This is something that will be good for the community as a whole. I know I'm starting early, but we have to make sure we beat them over the head...er...I mean...ask them nicely for as long as possible until we get this. 

Again, I appreciate everyone that has come out in support of this. I also appreciate the people who have made statements that may help us get the sort of game that we want.

There really isn't a need for thanks. <3 I appreciate it though. This is something that will be good for the community as a whole. I know I'm starting early, but we have to make sure we beat them over the head...er...I mean...ask them nicely for as long as possible until we get this. 

Again, I appreciate everyone that has come out in support of this. I also appreciate the people who have made statements that may help us get the sort of game that we want.

Aye, doing my part to keep it up top :)

Dark Age of Camelot

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by Tayah

Ponders how to keep this up at the top.:P Ah this!

<3 Thank you both.

I wish there were a report for sticky option on here.

• Rainfall13Rainfall13 Member Posts: 7

I've been roleplaying off and on for near 12-13 years now. I am a semi-active roleplayer to this day, still.  That said, while I do support roleplayer servers on mmorpgs, they are typically the least populated if the game is pvp centric or has a strong pvp focus.  They are also typically the first to fall / go down hill as far as actual gameplay goes.

I've seen this in numerous MMos that I have played over the last 10-15 years.  DAoC seems to be the only one ( Guinivere ) that didn't fall apart immediately, player base / community wise, due to lack of this or lack of that.

In an era where WoW mentality is rampant, a lot of people will want to play on the most popular server.  People will get bored otherwise and will de-populate the roleplay server, OR, the roleplay server will end up being just used solely for roleplay and people wont take it as seriously for anything else.

That all said, I've also noticed that every game ( WoW, TOR, GW2, etc ) that is relatively large in size and / or relatively new, does not have much if at all for a roleplay community.  I am not sure if we're just a dying breed, or what.

Anyhow, I support getting us a roleplay server.  I would back it and do back it.  But I also realize its negative sides and potential outcomes.

If it occurs, I will gladly roll a few toons specifically to come RP stuff out with you folks.  :-)

• boxfetishboxfetish Member Posts: 76
    I will vote for an RP server.  Not too much of a roleplayer, but very much in favor of character and guild naming restrictions.   I would rather have all servers be RP with behavioral and naming enforcement, than have them be normal servers where half the character and guilds have leetspeak and pop culture names. 

There certainly are some things to be aware of. I believe that part of the issue with rp in many games is the lack of regulation. WoW has -a lot- of rp servers, for example. Only two of them are really populated by role players primarily, though a third is making a come back. These servers are Wrymrest Accord, Moonguard, and Cenarion Circle. I started out on the last one listed and when rp moved, I moved with it. I've been on 5 servers in WoW over my time playing there chasing the rp as the PvE community took over and rp was forced into hiding.

The reason this happened, so far as I can tell, is because Blizzard stopped enforcing their rules fairly shortly after release. It used to be that you could report a name, or a player, and they would actually do something about it. Blizzard has actually removed the naming rule from rp servers, now. RP has survived there though. Even on PvPRP servers the rp survives, though it's in hidden pockets to avoid the rampant griefing that they no longer have the tools to fight.

I can't speak to rp in other games, in more PvP centric games, but if they give us an rp server I believe that we will see a lot of the rpers from DAoC come out of the wood work. I think we'll also see an influx of role players from games like WoW that see their PvP as a joke, and feel that rp is stifled there because they can't really make a change. 

I'm glad to see that you are supportive of this and that you are going to rp with us if it's made! <3

Edit: Thank you for the support Box. I know what you mean. Being on rp servers in other games where they have names just as you describe is frustrating too. So the rules need to be enforced as well.

With all the options for guild and character naming reservations it seems logical that the need for rp servers is only reflective upon the demand by those who rp. We all know tons head to rp servers in the off chance more mature players congregate there and not so much because rp is the focus for them.

I don't want to get into age restricted servers here and now (no idea why it is such a touchy topic but perhaps it is an issue of enforcement and implementation rather than socially sensitive) but the truth is that most players spend a great deal of time searching for a community they are confortable with. RP servers have been little more than a flag saying "players who rp or prefer more social gaming MAY reside here". There needs to be a way to actually get real rp'rs on the appropriate server.

As players sign up for beta or dontate to kickstarter it would greatly beneficial for players to clearly identify themselves as actual roleplayers and whether or not they will joining with actual rp guilds already created or will be. These players can opt to be reserved on a server upon demand. This way rp servers will largely be fleshed out with the correct community at launch. 

I've seen the various issues mentioned here when it comes to rp servers. Often the rp community is split up because they chose a server not knowing other rp guilds chose another. Often 3rd party rp sites are formed to help consolidate the community but this typically only reaches a small percentage of the total rp playerbase. CSE could set sub communities up long before release attracting all like play-styles together and assist in directing them to the proper servers. Even if servers do not require additional playstyle rulesets the requirement to consolidate like players together exists.

The other posibility is that the newly mentioned web based UI elements can allow the rp community to build informative sites/tools with direct knowledge of where rp guilds and players reside or wish to reside. 

You stay sassy!

To your first post, that's very obvious. That is what Marc more or less told me. It is up to the backers to show that we want an rp server. I admit that I'm starting perhaps a bit early to try to get one, but I think it's best to get an early start so that we can begin showing them that this is something that we want now. We aren't even asking that there be but a single rp server. I don't think we'll need more then that at the moment. So, to kind of go into other points that you made, I don't think it will be that difficult for them to find us unless we -don't- have a dedicated rp server. 

In games like WoW that have dozens of servers that have RP and RPPVP next to them it is nearly impossible for someone to find the right server based on the tag alone. I really want to avoid that. We don't need a lot of rp servers to start, though addind some later so people can poke the other factions would be neat, it certainly is -not- something that we need to start out with.

I agree that we need to identify ourselves as role players, and that's a large reason that I have this thread started. So that the role players among the backers can poke this and say they support it. Yes, there are going to be people on the server that don't rp. That's find, so long as the vast majority are role players, and so long as those that do not rp do not disrupt our role play.

The system they are talking about implementing is going to be amazing for modders. I can't way to see the sorts of interesting mods people come up with for role players. Heck, I can't wait to see what non-roleplaying mods are implemented. 

• TelynTelyn Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I played on a RP server in DAOC and would like to play on a RP server in CU.  I'm not a hardcore RPer, but I don't mind staying in character, and I like the people I find on RP servers.
    Thank you so much for the support! <3
    Originally posted by gylnne
    Originally posted by Tayah

Ponders how to keep this up at the top.:P Ah this!

Aha, I figured it out too! :)

Dark Age of Camelot

I feel like you guys know something that I don't!
  • QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    Dont really care for role-playing bump.
  • fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314

In Rift I recently moved from the PvP server to the RP server. Mostly because I wanted to get more people to come visit my dimension. No one on the PvP server really cared about my Dimension but on the RP server people were crazy about Dimensions. I actually went to a dimension party on this one guilds server and it was an RP's dream, they made their own little hide out, equipped with a bar, hot tub and dueling area. When I arrived into the Dimension they introduced me to everyone, a dwarf bot me a drink and I got to duel someone.

Even though none of the activities we did progressed our characters 1 bit it was rather fun. I think that's lost in a lot of modern MMO's doing things just because their fun, not because you need to do that to get the next skill point or next level. 

I think an RP server would be awesome because players would form these events where you didn't really progress your character but you engaged the game in your own unique way and had fun. 

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!