Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Progress Discussion

Comments

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Gyrus

I wonder how many have already pledged 'till it hurts?

I'm sure some have. But a lot of people have pledged less than they could have or have yet to pledge and are waiting until the very end so they can consider all the information released during Kickstarter when deciding the amount of their donation. I'm never going to be one of the ones that donates until it hurts because it just makes no sense to me to spend that much money on a computer game, but I could easily donate more than I'm currently pledged to if Mark answers some of my doubts in the next week.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Originally posted by Gyrus

I wonder how many have already pledged 'till it hurts?

I'm sure some have. But a lot of people have pledged less than they could have or have yet to pledge and are waiting until the very end so they can consider all the information released during Kickstarter when deciding the amount of their donation. I'm never going to be one of the ones that donates until it hurts because it just makes no sense to me to spend that much money on a computer game, but I could easily donate more than I'm currently pledged to if Mark answers some of my doubts in the next week.

What is really needed isn't for current folks, especially the whales to pledge more money.  What has to happen is that 15K-20K "average Joes" who normally would pay $60.00 to buy the game and pay a monthly sub fee afterwards to step up to the gate and take a chance by pledging the same amount.

I'm in this category, and haven't taken the plunge yet.  Not sure what I'm really waiting for, maybe this weekend I'll do it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ArbroathArbroath Member UncommonPosts: 176
    I've already backed the $110 tier. But that isn't hurting. I am most likely going to wait till the last day, and buy $50-$100 worth of FP's. I'd bump to a new tier but I really like the $110. Either way, +$100 effectively doubles my pledge and isn't going to break the bank

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. ~Declaration of Arbroath

Originally posted by Kyleran

What is really needed isn't for current folks, especially the whales to pledge more money.  What has to happen is that 15K-20K "average Joes" who normally would pay $60.00 to buy the game and pay a monthly sub fee afterwards to step up to the gate and take a chance by pledging the same amount.

You are absolutely right. Thousands of people are going to need to pledge $25 or more in the final week for this to succeed. They are not going to be able to squeeze another $650,000 out of the first 9000 pledgers.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by Sornin
    Originally posted by Danwarr
    Originally posted by Arbroath
    I wonder if anyone would be interested in just donating to CSE to fund CU? Would that even be possible?

Anyone can add to their KS pledge without changing tiers.

I know. I was thinking more along the lines of if the Kickstarter fails, can MJ and CSE just set up a system where people can just buy the tier rewards right out? Basically remove Kickstarter from the equation. Direct funding to CSE to fund CU.

The main problem with that is it removes two safety nets that Kickstarter provides:

1. Publicly available funding information that cannot be misrepresented or misinterpreted

2. A minimum amount required to make the successful is needed else no funds are transferred

If the Kickstarter campaign fails and CSE were to just open up donations via PayPal, backers would have no idea how much they raised. It could be $500,000 it could be $5,000,000. With Kickstarter, at least until they reach the goal, you know for sure. This keeps things on the up and up, and makes it so companies or individuals receiving the funds are accountable (on an ethical level, there is no law) to producing something that matches the funds they raised.

Secondly, and more importantly, if a project takes $2M to make work, why would anyone directly donate funds without knowing the total donations would reach $2M? For example, we know Camelot Unchained requires $2M from backers to be done well. If Kickstarter fails, and CSE opened up PayPal, they might only get $500,000 donated, in which case that money is basically useless. It would be like having $5 in a restaurant where the cheapest menu item is $20. For the purpose of making Camelot Unchained, the $500,000 would be insufficient, just like for the purpose of eating, your $5 would be insufficient.

I have pledged $5,000 for an island ($5025, actually, due to shipping the physical goods outside of the USA), but I sure as heck would not donate even $1 via PayPal because it is pointless unless you know the funds raised will cover the cost of development.

Well, CSE could be open and reveal how much has been donated to CU.

The only reason I suggest it is because I've seen multiple posts about how much money CSE is going to get once the Kickstarter hits $2M and all of the Europeans who don't have credit cards can pay via PayPal.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

The only reason I suggest it is because I've seen multiple posts about how much money CSE is going to get once the Kickstarter hits $2M and all of the Europeans who don't have credit cards can pay via PayPal.

It's not going to happen. One of 3 things is possible:

1. It reaches $2 million normally and funds.
    2. It gets really close but short on the final day and Mark, Andrew, their employees, and their family and friends push it over the top any way possible.
    3. It falls several hundred thousand short. The End.

• TigsKCTigsKC Member UncommonPosts: 187

On a positive note, yesterday's Kickstarter's pledges were the largest since Day 3.

See http://hive.borg-collective.org.uk/cuks.php?i=d.

• UOloverUOlover Member UncommonPosts: 339
    All we need is for them to come up with new tiers every day that people want more than the ones they already have
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

This is SO going to happen.  Only needs $78,000 a day.  Keep those postive waves rolling.image

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Originally posted by Tierless

Anyone else got the energy back, got the feeling back, got the hope back? I see the backers going up, the $$$ coming in, were getting closer, faster. I'm feeling it, are you?

The amount per day has certainly gone up. The backers is still not much different from what it's been since day 5. That indicates a lot of the new money is from previous backers increasing their pledges. At $30,000-45,000 a day it's still going to need one hell of a last day or two push to fund. I hope saving up the updates about the core gameplay until the very end works as well as Mark expects or this will need a miracle to fund.

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

The increase in cash is probably from the addition of the Mountain House Tier (I don't know the actual name).

And someone picked up the fourth Dragon Whale slot. 

I think the game will fund, though I hope there'll be more backers.

Hi

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532
    Originally posted by Jayaris

The increase in cash is probably from the addition of the Mountain House Tier (I don't know the actual name).

It wold be nice to see it fund, BUT, $100,000 a day for the next 6 days?? I fear it is unlikely. (sorry only $99K a day)

People talk of all the PayPal money waiting, but if it doesn't hit that  $2M goal real fast, then PayPal will never factor in at all.

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308
    Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer

It wold be nice to see it fund, BUT, $100,000 a day for the next 6 days?? I fear it is unlikely. (sorry only $99K a day)

People talk of all the PayPal money waiting, but if it doesn't hit that  $2M goal real fast, then PayPal will never factor in at all.

I don't really buy into that PayPal crap. I do expect there to be an influx of people backing on the last day though.

It maybe won't be as big a spike as I would like (probably won't hit any stretch goals), but I do think it will clear the two million mark. 

Hi

• anandaananda Member UncommonPosts: 45

Wow, I had been blindly trusting kicktraq's minichart number, but you are correct, if it is 6 days left and still $580k to go, then it needs closer to $100k per day instead of the reported $83k per day (which is the correct value if there are 7 days left). I wonder why the inaccuracy?

At this stage, I think it won't fund. People are talking about needing more backers at $25 level...but even if you get 10,000 new backers at that level, that's only $250k, nowhere near enough. And doubling the current amount of backers is insanely optimistic. I'm also really sceptical that asking current people to up their pledges would be enough to make up the difference, but I may be underestimating you guys.

Just come to my mind, can you pledge any amount, and then cancel near the closing date? Given the possibly paper thin margin if this game is to fund, I fear this would be very vulnerable to trolling. For example, someone could just pledge $20k now, then when the total is at $2,012,345 with 30 min remaining, he can just cancel.  Normally, the projects are either wildly successful so this behaviour does not matter, or is small enough that any one person can realistically make up the difference to bring it back up to 100%. But here, even 0.1% is $2,000, which is not something that you can easily come up with in a 30 minutes. Does kickstarter have any policy to protect against this kind of thing?

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Unfortunately I dont see it happening.
    Originally posted by ananda

Wow, I had been blindly trusting kicktraq's minichart number, but you are correct, if it is 6 days left and still $580k to go, then it needs closer to $100k per day instead of the reported $83k per day (which is the correct value if there are 7 days left). I wonder why the inaccuracy?

At this stage, I think it won't fund. People are talking about needing more backers at $25 level...but even if you get 10,000 new backers at that level, that's only $250k, nowhere near enough. And doubling the current amount of backers is insanely optimistic. I'm also really sceptical that asking current people to up their pledges would be enough to make up the difference, but I may be underestimating you guys.

Just come to my mind, can you pledge any amount, and then cancel near the closing date? Given the possibly paper thin margin if this game is to fund, I fear this would be very vulnerable to trolling. For example, someone could just pledge $20k now, then when the total is at $2,012,345 with 30 min remaining, he can just cancel.  Normally, the projects are either wildly successful so this behaviour does not matter, or is small enough that any one person can realistically make up the difference to bring it back up to 100%. But here, even 0.1% is $2,000, which is not something that you can easily come up with in a 30 minutes. Does kickstarter have any policy to protect against this kind of thing?

Yeah there are not many days left and it still needs a lot. Even with more good days like today it would fall short. There is the expectation based on past Kickstarters that the last few days will be huge and that's probably true. But it still needs to get up to $1.6 or 1.7 million before then to have a chance. It's completely up in the air what will happen. I'm glad I don't work at CSE. It must be hella stressful.

You can change your pledge amount at any time before the Kickstarter closes afaik. I don't think there is any kind of protection and there shouldn't be. That's the point of having 30 days and a hard deadline. The pledges only count at the very end.

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

It is because Kicktraq rounds down - it is not inaccurate so much as it is imprecise. Technically, as I write this, there are more like 6.66 days left. As soon as it hit 8:58 AM PDT, which is when there were exactly 7 days left, it showed 6 days being left, because 6.9999... rounds down to 6.

Anyway, tomorrow at 8:58 AM PDT is when it will have 6 days left. It ends Thursday, May 2 at 8:58 AM PDT.

Oh, and I think getting $2M is very doable. It might get close, but I would expect at least another 3,000 backers and many, many existing backers raising their pledges substantially. Watch the last two or three days - they will be big.

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

Wow, I had been blindly trusting kicktraq's minichart number, but you are correct, if it is 6 days left and still $580k to go, then it needs closer to $100k per day instead of the reported $83k per day (which is the correct value if there are 7 days left). I wonder why the inaccuracy?At this stage, I think it won't fund. People are talking about needing more backers at $25 level...but even if you get 10,000 new backers at that level, that's only $250k, nowhere near enough. And doubling the current amount of backers is insanely optimistic. I'm also really sceptical that asking current people to up their pledges would be enough to make up the difference, but I may be underestimating you guys.Just come to my mind, can you pledge any amount, and then cancel near the closing date? Given the possibly paper thin margin if this game is to fund, I fear this would be very vulnerable to trolling. For example, someone could just pledge $20k now, then when the total is at $2,012,345 with 30 min remaining, he can just cancel.  Normally, the projects are either wildly successful so this behaviour does not matter, or is small enough that any one person can realistically make up the difference to bring it back up to 100%. But here, even 0.1% is $2,000, which is not something that you can easily come up with in a 30 minutes. Does kickstarter have any policy to protect against this kind of thing?

You can cancel or change your pledge any time up until the end.  I suspect that a number of those big tier pledges may be troll pledges.  I also suspect  a few genuine backers may start to back out of high pledges as the end nears.

I think the current backers are probably mostly tapped out at this point.  They need to attract quite a few new backers for this to succeed.

• Really glad to see the funding going up. At the end there's typically a mad rush of pledges, but if people keep pledging like this until then, hopefully when the mad rush comes, it'll be enough to tip it over the 2m.
  • EasymodeXEasymodeX Member Posts: 149

The "last 2 day spike" is about 75% of the first day pledges based on other games.  However, CU has had higher $ per backer than other games.  In addition, there are several signs that backers have already upped a significant amount.

CU needs about 570k more to fun.  450k is the "75% of first day" mark.  Dropping that a bit to account for the already high $ per backer, can assume a spike of ~350k in the last 2 days.

CU needs 220k over 4 days to meet the 2m.  That's 55k per day.

Not gonna happen.

Originally posted by EasymodeX

The "last 2 day spike" is about 75% of the first day pledges based on other games.  However, CU has had higher $ per backer than other games.  In addition, there are several signs that backers have already upped a significant amount.

CU needs about 570k more to fun.  450k is the "75% of first day" mark.  Dropping that a bit to account for the already high $ per backer, can assume a spike of ~350k in the last 2 days.

CU needs 220k over 4 days to meet the 2m.  That's 55k per day.

Not gonna happen.

I wouldn't make any assumptions about the amount of the final surge except it will be larger than the average haul per day. As you say this game's Kickstarter is kind of unique both in the high $ per backer and the high total amount it seeks to raise just to fund.

Your guess of $350,000 seems plausible but again we won't know what the exact number is until after the fact. It's just impossible to predict what is going on in the minds of people who haven't even pledged at all yet but might in the last few days or how much people who have already pledged could increase their pledges. We also don't know what tricks Mark has up his sleeve to reach $2 million if it comes close but short in the hours before it ends. Or for that matter whether MMORPG.com anti-CU trolls have pledged large $ amounts that they'll cancel at the end.

I could go up considerably from the tier I have selected currently, but I still need to see more details on RvR, classes, and progression before I'd feel comfortable doing that.

Only a bit over $9,000 halfway through today. I guess the BSC stealth idea wasn't all Mark hoped it would be. Time to add another mountain house tier! Or maybe this might finally be the time to talk about RvR, classes, and progression? Nah let's leave those for 11:30am on May 2.

• UOloverUOlover Member UncommonPosts: 339
    550k in 5 days
  • qualtoqualto Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Only a bit over $9,000 halfway through today. I guess the BSC stealth idea wasn't all Mark hoped it would be. Time to add another mountain house tier! Or maybe this might finally be the time to talk about RvR, classes, and progression? Nah let's leave those for 11:30am on May 2.

I agree.  Any word on RvR updates for this RvR game?

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

One troubling sign is the $25 pledge (basically purchasing the game at a reduced price) isn't even selling well. In other KS I have followed, those were the first to go and the KS team had to add more. I'm not sure the KS will fund and even if it does, not many will subscribe...which would kill an RvR game. ;-(