Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Dragon's Prophet: Training Our Dragons at GDC

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment's version of Dragon's Prophet is steaming ahead with beta testing and offered GDC attendees a chance to check out the game firsthand. We've got a terrific preview to share before the discussion is taken to the comments! Read on!

Todd Parsons is the Senior Producer on the project and gave us a solid run down of the game before we got some hands on time. Todd explained that backstory that these Elder Dragons had left players with the options to tame and train different species of dragons on their own. Thus you will get access to hundreds of dragons to make your own. Training a dragon is important and the interface will tell you if you come upon a new dragon that is trainable. Once locked in there is a minigame almost like riding a bull in a rodeo to calm the savage beast. As you go up in level and try to tame more powerful dragons, the game gets much harder. Playing the minigame was easy, but we were also at lower levels for the demo.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Dragon's Prophet: Training Our Dragons at GDC.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Does anyone know if you can go with the SOE US version even though you're from the EU? I'm still pretty undecided whether to try this game at all although it does look interesting.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Coolit
    Does anyone know if you can go with the SOE US version even though you're from the EU? I'm still pretty undecided whether to try this game at all although it does look interesting.

You can. I'm from EU myself and am participating in the technical beta at this very moment (and thus I can't respond to this article ;-). SOE also has confirmed on twitter that they won't add an IP-block for DP.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Anyone in the EU will be able to sign up and play on SOE's Dragon Prophet. They have confirmed there is no region blocks.
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

This will surely be a number one hit.  It has everything people have been asking for.  Giant swords on anime characters, small number of classes, asian style graphics, paper thin game systems, themepark leveling world complete with NPCs with exclamation marks over their hear, instances galore, boring non-descript world with no real lore, and it's F2P with a cash shop for "purely cosmetic" items.

What more could anyone ask for?

Actually, I have no idea what is in the game.  I just made all that up, but I am willing to bet most if not all of that stuff is in the game.

Hey, can I pay for early access Beta?  Maybe get a cool item or some giant shoulder pads or something?

Oh wait, my mistake.  I thought they this was a review for Dragon Born Online, but I see it is for Dragon's Prophet.  Wait, or was that Dragon Nest....or was it Dragon Oath.  Maybe it could  have been Dragon's Call....no, Dragon's Call II....wait, still no.  How about Dragon Saga.  Nope, Dragonica.....yes, that is it.  Wait, no it is not.  DragonFable is the one I am thinking of.  Now that you mention it, it could have been Dragon Raja.....or was it Drakensang, I think that is German for Dragon Song.

Anyway, somthing with the word "dragons" in it.

• HolyfleadipHolyfleadip Member Posts: 67

1) I heard the different dragons were generic at best.  Most didn't even feel like dragons if you removed the scales from the skins.

2) If they don't get the air combat in the game, then chuck this to the circle of lost causes and forget it.

3) Pay for housing with real cash?  Give me a break.  It better be gold plated.  Don't most games with housing give you it with in game coinage, questing or just right from the start?  lol wow  I bet the rest of the cash shop is a cash cow of dreams.  I predict a p2w game.

I'm not holding my breath for this.  Sorry.  btw I like dragons, but this doesn't feel like a hit IMHO.

• HoramHoram Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

This will surely be a number one hit.  It has everything people have been asking for.  Giant swords on anime characters, small number of classes, asian style graphics, paper thin game systems, themepark leveling world complete with NPCs with exclamation marks over their hear, instances galore, boring non-descript world with no real lore, and it's F2P with a cash shop for "purely cosmetic" items.

Actually, I have no idea what is in the game.  I just made all that up, but I am willing to bet most if not all of that stuff is in the game.

Hey, can I pay for early access Beta?  Maybe get a cool item or some giant shoulder pads or something?

Oh wait, my mistake.  I thought they this was a review for Dragon Born Online, but I see it is for Dragon's Prophet.  Wait, or was that Dragon Nest....or was it Dragon Oath.  Maybe it could  have been Dragon's Call....no, Dragon's Call II....wait, still no.  How about Dragon Saga.  Nope, Dragonica.....yes, that is it.  Wait, no it is not.  DragonFable is the one I am thinking of.  Now that you mention it, it could have been Dragon Raja.....or was it Drakensang, I think that is German for Dragon Song.

So true that it's both funny and sad.

• WodgeWodge Member UncommonPosts: 46

Regarding the lack of IP blocks for EU players on SOE's servers:

Can you remove the annoying popup that appears all the time on the SOE website for the game?

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

But unlike any of those other "Dragon" mmos. This one actually focuses on dragons and dragon breeding. So it's literally about dragons. Also as a side note. From what the devs have mentioned, housing in Dragon Prophet has a neighborhood size zone where you can see and enter anyone's house. Not a single door that magically transports you inside your home. Like EQ2's instance crapola housing. Or Runewaker's first endeavor.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I played ROM for about 6 months,it wasn't a bad game,jsut a little short on depth due to the obvious,being a free to play game.

However it was good enough that i would tryanotehr game by them.The biggest draw for myself is no Frogster,i will NEVER touch a Frogster run game ever again.SOE is a tad greedy on cash shop as well, but i can handle their take on it.

The game definitely has a niche that will attract gamers,everyone loves Dragons.I just hope there is some content besides having everyone sit around on their Dragon.That actually was the case in an old game that tried to do something similar,i think it was called Horizons,i could be wrong,was quite awhile ago.

Still  i think this game will be good to at least try out.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

To the person who thinks it will be an extreme Asian type game,don't bet on it.ROM was actually a pretty close copy of Wow type gaming.Tons of peopeleare playing games like that.What ROM did do was add a couple unique ideas and tried to copy FFXI's sub class system,albeit not so good a job .

At least they tried to do some things right,they even had giant cities ,so they put some effort into their game.I expect the same effort will go into this game,which makes it at least playable.

What they also did was create varied content,some were shared instances,some not.Some almsot impossible,while sopme were mediocre and some sort of easy,basically something for everyone.

I can tell you how many games i have deleted in the first 5 minutes and it is a LOT.So this develoepr at least has the ability to keep my interest.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    anyone know if the closed beta you get with the vip pack has started yet? 
  • rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    i wish Trion managed this game instead of SOE

hallo ~_~

• SophusVirSophusVir Member Posts: 44
    They should have all vips in by mid april. Or so they say on the site.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    anyone know if the closed beta you get with the vip pack has started yet? 

it has

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186
    finally a game with carpentry! always wanted to make a flying carpet.

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by shantideva
    finally a game with carpentry! always wanted to make a flying carpet.

The giant WoW has flying carpets ;) hehe...

anyway looks cool but not really for me.

this is from the taiwan website but it talks about the graphics engine updates and some more info on the engine itself

i just used google translate on it to read the text.

http://tw.dragonsprophet.com/news/detail/47

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Thanks for the review Garrett.  I'm pretty stoked about the game.  The game is full of the standard mmo elements, but it looks to be all of them that I like in one package:  meaningful pets, EQ2 style free form housing, crafting, different types of mounts (again EQ2 style), and an action-oriented combat system.  Oh yeah, and there is dragons, something I've wanted in a game since playing the Legend of the Dragoon.

One impression I take away every time I learn more about the game is that it seems to be an evolution of EQ2 style design, which has its own themepark slant that is different from Warcraft.  That's not a bad thing really.  There is a lot EQ2 has gotten right over the years and more games should consider borrowing features from it such as housing placement, housing instances, mount styles and varieties, quest chains, crafting, and most importantly how they have tied all those systems together.

eq 2 does houseing ok but eq 1 you have an outside of the house as well and its customizeable i think instanced neigyhborhoods are better than hohum doors

rommello writes:
    i wish Trion managed this game instead of SOE

ugh no way at least soe knows how to make proper expansions!

i wonder will we be able to design or  own dragons ? or maybe  tattoo or armor them ?, also the ability to fuse with your dragon would be preety cool

• marsinmarsin Member UncommonPosts: 48

i tink it mest up pay for a Vip key still not got one yet

• DemonicDeadlyDemonicDeadly Member Posts: 6

Yes because US Dragon Prophet dont got IP Block :D and here is the website :D

DragonsProphet

Originally posted by Coolit

Yes because US Dragon Prophet dont got IP Block :D and here is the website :D

DragonsProphet

Interested in Joining a guild? Will Join the Fairy Tail! Fairy Tail recruiting, we laugh, talk, sing, tear of joy, our strength is the families and friends that keep us from giving up and aiming to be the #1 guild of Auratia!!!

Saying:
    When you are Strong , we trade,
    When you are Weak, we raid,
    When you are dying, we invade and stay!

Register here "NOW!" While at it get on Ts3, Server on the right side of Website in home page!
    Http://fairytail-dp.enjin.com/home
  • taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• deviltheorydeviltheory Member Posts: 33
    Only reason I'm not interested in the game is because I have yet to see a sword and board playstyle.  If this proves otherwise once the game is in open beta then I'll definitely give it a try because I like pretty much everything else I have seen.
    Originally posted by deviltheory
    Only reason I'm not interested in the game is because I have yet to see a sword and board playstyle.  If this proves otherwise once the game is in open beta then I'll definitely give it a try because I like pretty much everything else I have seen.

http://dragons-prophet-europe.wikia.com/wiki/Guardian

Guardians can use hammers, axes or swords to fight their enemies. They can also go with a sword and shield combination, which will give them higher survivability in combat. Guardians are the only known class for being able to use heavy armor, which makes them even more capable to sustain hits.